“Great place in the country ”

Green House Araque Inn
“Great place in the country ”
Reviewed 20 May 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed for two nights and enjoyed it very much! This really nice couple have three children, they were fun to play with, even with the language barrier. The tours were awesome, and not much money. The tours were of Otavalo, Cotocachi, waterfall, and other small spots. We would suggest this place to anyone!

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Mackay, Australia
Reviewed 4 April 2014

If, like us, you like to be outside, but close to the city, the Green House is a great option. Patricio and Nelly and kids are a lovely family and it was a privilege to be so well-looked after by them. The room was very comfortable and so clean and there are amazing views from upstairs towards Laguna San Pablo as well as Imbabura. We did some fantastic walks nearby including one with Patricio around Quicocha Crater Lake. Otavalo is an easy bus ride away. We opted for dInner at the house which was perfect as both Patricio and Nelly are excellent cooks and all meals we had were a pleasure with most of the ingredients being fresh and local. Highly recommended accommodation if you want a more personal, friendly taste of Ecuador.

Room Tip: There are two upper floor rooms which share a bathroom but have the best views. A 2nd building was u...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank salypimiento
Jerusalem, Israel
Reviewed 14 December 2013

Staying in this place was a great choice after working very hard for one week in Guyaqille, a big city that we did not find so charming. Patricio,- the owner of the green house in is a very sweet man. He picked us up from the airport in Quito, as we agreed, and drove us to his place with a few stops on the way.( he charged us 65 dollars for this). His place is located in the village called Araque. At the moment there are 4 rooms that are part of his family house. He is in a process of building a seperate building on his grounds hoping to be ready in 6 months. It was like being hosted by a nice family with 3 charming kids, the oldest - 11 years old, very helpful in managing and helping her father.
2 of the rooms are on ground level attached to the small dining room, the other 2 are on second floor with an attached terrace with an absolute amazing view of the village and the mountains surrounding it, and with steps to the rooftop! Waking up 3 mornings and spending 2 hours on the rooftop was the heighlight of our staying there! The bathrooms are not inside the rooms. There is one on the terrace level serving these 2 rooms. It was quite cold in the evening of early December. The showers were not exactly hot.... the rooms are not heated! We each got a hot water bottle to warm our bed. It was very comforting and was a sweet gesture. Patricio cooks very simple meals, he is available to drive you around. ( 5 dollars to drive us to the market in otavalo). It was easy to find a taxi in Otavalo to drive us back Arraque. one day Parricio was our guide and took us with his car for a day tour to some nature attractions and to some craft villages. ( 45 dollars for the day).
We were very happy there. after being hosted in Guyaqille in the 5 star Hilton Colon we aprecciated the simplicity of this place and the chance to be engaged with a very nice family.

Room Tip: insist on the second floor rooms, the ones with the attached terrace and with steps to the rooftop...
Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Newton, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed 28 May 2013

If you are in the North of Ecuador and you want a great break by a beautiful lake, check out the Green House, a quiet, small family run B&B on Lake San Pablo near Otavalo, Ecuador. The rooms are large and airy, clean and comfortable. The family which runs the place is dedicated to providing a healthy, natural and relaxing break for travelers. The roof patio features great views of the scenic lake (the Aquatic Park is just a 10 minute walk) and the Imbaduro volcano behind the house. Close enough to Otavalo to use as a base for a market visit, the peace and quiet will make you think you are a thousand miles from civilization. Excellent trout dinner for $5. Check out the tour packages, including markets, volcanos and ruins, complete, for under $100 a day for two people. A great deal all around for travelers on a budget, or just looking for a scenic stopover.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Ibarra, Ecuador
Reviewed 28 April 2013

My friend and I had planned to stay 2 nights, but had to change our plans and stayed only one. Que pena! . . . Patricio and his family were very friendly and attentive, the room was pleasant and clean, and the views are great. At meal times Patricio dons his white chef's coat, and he and Nely put some great food on the table at very comfortable prices. I will go back, and can recommend the Green House to any traveler who enjoys getting good value off the beaten path.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 January 2013

What a treat to find this place. 360degree views of mountains, lake and Otavalo. Our hosts could not have been nicer. Patricio and his charming wife Nely were at our every beck and call. Patricio is a trained chef and cooked very affordable, delicious meals for us for the entire four nights that we stayed at Green House Araque Inn. During the day Patricio acted as our tour guide around the Quito area. He drove us into town and picked us up anytime of day, so even though the place is in the quiet town of San Pablo, a few miles from Otavalo, transportation was no problem. Waking up to the sound of birds and looking out over the calm lake was a treat. And last but not least the price was extremely afforadable. I will be back.

Room Tip: upstairs there are two rooms with terrace overlooking the entire area. I would pick one of them for...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
Paris, France
Reviewed 9 March 2011

I was in San Pablo since 2 days in an hotel, las Cabañas del lago,
which is close to the lake and a good place too, but ten times more expensive...
So as I wanted to stay a few more days without spending too much I searched the Internet and found "Green House Araque Inn".

I was welcomed very warmly, then spent a week there for 10$ a day,
adding 5$ dollars I was also able to share the family meals and it was delicious every day, rich very healthy food.
The mother and the father are two very charming young people, Nelly and Patricio.
The ambiance was very nice, my room too - I had a view upon the lake - clean and tidy.

I can't describe everything, I felt like I was a member of the family and liked them very much. Patricio took me on a trek in the mountain and on the way introduced me to all his family members. He can organize any trek for you in the nearby mountains, for instance the Imbabura and he will enjoy it with you. They rent bikes too.

Nelly showed me a little bit of the Ecuadorian cuisine, just go visit them and taste it...

A Saturday night they took me to the village's annual fiesta, I assisted an incredible fireworks session on the central square to the sound of a real typical brass orchestra,
then the party went on with a more modern Ecuadorian band, under an improvised plastic roof, but nobody cared about the rain. There was no tourist there, it was a genuine Ecuadorian gathering and I met all the people of the village which did everything to make me feel welcome, including dedicating a song to me and constantly proposing me more of this warm alcohol mixed with fruit juice. Needless to say that I enjoyed the night and keep great memories of it.

I can't advise too much to stay a few days there.

The price is low but if you are a group or want to save more money, then see about sharing a room and cooking your food yourself, the kitchen is for common use.

San Pablo lake is a must see and Ottavalo is only 20 to 30 minutes away with the
bus passing in Araque. You can ride straight from and to Quito with a bus also.

Enjoy Ecuador! it is a very friendly country with striking landscape and enjoyable climate.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo