“Great Eats!”

Cafe Pachamama
Ranked #4 of 63 Restaurants in Otavalo
Price range: US$5 - US$10
Cuisines: International, Ecuadorean
Good for: Romantic, Kids, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Groups, View, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Cafe Pachamama is located inside hotel La Posada del Quinde, just five blocks from the Plaza de Ponchos market. Our fireplace lounge, outdoor patio and garden provide something extra for travelers, as well as our freshly-prepared, organic food with local ingredients. To top it off, we offer more vegetarian options than any other restaurant in town and many delicious meat options as well. But even if you're not a vegetarian, we have plenty of meat-based dishes and burgers to please meat-eaters as well.
Portland, Oregon
“Great Eats!”
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Being a vegan we had some difficulties finding appropriate food for our diets it Ecuador, but they guys were so accomodating. Don't forget to try the Maggie Pizza, it's yummy! The setting is beautiful and comfortable as well. Oh, ask them to set you up with a sub sandwich to-go, if you plan on doing any hiking.

Visited May 2014

Scappoose, Oregon
“Wow! They can make vegan meals!!”
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Having read many reviews of Café Pachamama, we knew they had vegetarian options, so we assumed they would be able to modify and make a couple of things vegan for us. (By this point in our journey, we were growing very accustomed to being able to eat a handful of things, so our palate was fairly bored.) Image our surprise and delight, though, when we found there were numerous items on the menu that were ALREADY VEGAN. They didn't need modification at all! Soups that were out of this world - and authentic to the region. What a treat! And finally, we felt as though we were tasting the true flavors of the region.

When necessary, the staff were more than helpful in making modifications as needed (holding the cheese on the absolutely delicious Maggie pizza) and giving us extra avocado (instead of cheese) on our veggie sandwiches.

The complimentary "Pachamama Breakfast" (provided to hotel guests) included the best oatmeal (the veggie alternative) I've ever had in my life. I suspect there was some cardamom along with cinnamon in it, but there was something else that just gave it a little extra something - it was delish! The fresh juice and fruit was delightful, and the icing on the cake was the fresh bread and homemade jam. Heavenly!

• Visited May 2014
Eagles Mere, Pennsylvania
“Excellent Food”
Reviewed 5 April 2014

Outstanding breakfasts included with room. The best fruit I have ever tasted and great coffee! Other meals were very nice too. Staff is so attentive to all our needs. Exceptionally clean facility.

Visited March 2014
“Lovely place in Otavalo”
Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

We are staying in Cotacachi, but we went to the craft market in Otavalo, so we tried Cafe Pachamama for breakfast. The $6 Pachamama breakfast was amazing, served in the most beautiful setting in Otavalo.

Visited March 2014
Ottawa, Canada
“A couple of inconsistencies”
Reviewed 14 March 2014

As I was staying at this inn for two nights, breakfast was included and I elected to eat both dinners here due to the excellent reviews. As it was mid week, there were only a few tables full with guests, but others came in from town for meals as well. I tended to eat a little earlier and due to the few numbers, the guests would visit between tables and they were congenial meal guests. There is a fire burning in the fireplace with a few comfy couches drawn up to invite one to read with a drink after or before dinner. Bar is small, but a more than adequate selection.
Breakfasts were good with excellent coffee and juices, and though I limit my gluten, I couldn't resist trying the fresh bread that was very good. My first dinner's choice was a mistake on my part - not that it was not well prepared, but I didn't expect the enchilada casserole to have such a strong flavour - clearly I am not a mole fan. If one is, it was good, but do note the mole - not the North American red enchilada sauce. The accompanying hearts of palm salad was excellent. Second dinner was quinoa crusted shrimp. I learned from another guest that the maid dish size was quite big, so I had the appetizer size that even came with a salad. Both excellent. It is primarily a vegetarian menu with 2 or 3 meat dishes. I didn't find it 'extensive' but perhaps that was due to my required food restrictions. For others, there seemed a more than adequate choice.
The wait staff was very pleasant and I loved their local dress. However, two items of note. One, and it might seem picky, items were placed on the table when served 'wherever' and cutlery was not always in the proper place, so I felt there was a small lack of training there. I did not experience this on other areas of Ecuador and I travelled it for a month. The second thing was at second dinner, I sat 25 minutes with no attention, though I was only one of three tables. I finally had to put out my hand to almost grab the waitress as she passed me for the eighth time and ask for a menu. It seemed out of character.

• Visited February 2014