“Hacienda Cusin Established 1602”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hacienda Cusin

Hacienda Cusin
Ranked #1 of 27 Otavalo B&B and Inns
Brisbane, Australia
“Hacienda Cusin Established 1602”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

This is a lovely Hacienda first established in 1602. It has of course had a lot of work done to it since then.Both my friend and I had great garden view rooms with en suite and an open wood fireplace.The fireplace is set ready to use each evening with additional wood outside the door. On request a hot water bottle is placed in your bed each evening.
The restaurant serves good food the staff are helpful and obliging and they can arrange motor transport to where ever you need to go. They have horse riding and there are pleasant walks.
There are Rose hot houses around the corner from the hacienda and it is well worth a look they export all over the world. Just amazing.

Room Tip: A Garden room is very nice.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
haciendacusin, Guest Relations Manager at Hacienda Cusin, responded to this review, 17 October 2014
La Familia de Cusin appreciates the time you took to write such an understanding review.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Aruba
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

just came home from my 3rd visit at Cusin.......and NOT just one night! This time I stayed for a whole week and loved every second of it. This place takes you back in time,the rooms are cozy and wonderfully decorated,every night a crackling fireplace - and a hot water bottle in your bed - make you feel you are......well,in heaven! The food is wonderful,3-course lunch or dinner for $22,-......hey,I'm talking great (no excellent) food for good value (yep,sometimes the budget needs to be considered),when I sat in the lounge in front of the fireplace I felt like the "lady of the manor",beautiful tapestries,paintings and all sorts of interesting stuff all over the place.......and there are some wonderful walks possible around the hacienda (if you need to build up an appetite).At my age (????) I DO appreciate these "geriatric" walks......not too steep,wonderful landscape,the smell of eucalypthus from the trees,a rosefarm nearby in case you want to see how your favorite flowers are grown.........and if you feel up to it,they have horseback riding and bikes.Hacienda Cusin is the place to be IF YOU WANT TO STAY IN PARADISE.......but don't panic - thet DO have WiFi - just in case.
Check-in is easy,they have a very efficient pick-up service from either Quito or the airport,Lupe,Valeria or Brian make sure you are taken care of,Esther,Delia and others keep your room in top shape,Ramiro,Pablo and Mesias take the best care of you in the dinig room.........and this trip I was lucky enough to meet the owner! Mr.Nick is a fountain of information about this place.........and,like me,once you have been there you want to come back.
If you wish they can arrange a taxi for you to go to the market in Otavalo (textiles,etc.) or Parque Condor,which is a wonderful place to see Andean birds you won't have a chance to see so easily otherwise.
I'm a single woman traveller,as I said I was here before and I can assure you that you will NOT be MORE welcome in any other place.
You want paradise with the personal touch - gooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yes,ladies,they DO even have hairdryers in the room,just take your own showergel.......if you are a "fusspot" like me!

Room Tip: there is NO bad room in hacienda Cusin
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank globetrekkerAruba
haciendacusin, Public Relations Manager at Hacienda Cusin, responded to this review, 17 October 2014
How gratifying to have such an appreciative review. Many thanks for taking time to do so.
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

Wow! What an unbelievable place... I felt like I stepped back in time into a movie. Gardens, hummingbirds, ponds, trees, a stable with animals, fireplaces, a monastery, I can go on! This place is a secret at every turn and kids will be enchanted. My 6 year old LOVED it and my husband and I did too, at night! Service was great as we asked for a room change for the place is 400 hundred years old so our room was a bit musty but they changed it without an issue. The food was also very good, but pricey!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Many, many thanks for taking such time to express your appreciation for your stay!
Quito, Ecuador
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

A couple friends and I stayed at the Hacienda this spring and absolutely loved it. The owner took time to show us around the grounds, gave us a tour of his incredible tapestry collection and even hosted us for lunch. He introduced himself to everyone that stayed there and made it a personal mission to ensure that everyone's stay was above and beyond what they expected.
If you're going to the area, make sure to put Hacienda Cusin on your to do list - the activities in the area, the artisans that sell handmade items on site, the food and the hospitality make it well worth your while.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
haciendacusin, Guest Relations Manager at Hacienda Cusin, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Thank you so much for much an appreciative, understanding and complimentary review. It was so good of you to take your time to explore Cusin's collections and extensive grounds. You clearly inspired the owner as will be the staff when I read your review to them next week. Regresa pronto!
Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

We were pleasantly surprised by this historic hacienda made into a hotel. It is about a 10 minute taxi ride from downtown Otavalo ($2 ride). This hotel complex is simply gorgeous. The grounds are so lush with grass, trees, plants and flowers. My friend and I took many photos of this lovely complex. The dining room is lovely and very homey. The included breakfast was very good and filling. The rooms were large and lovely. However, it got very chilly at night and the hotel personnel had to make a fire in the fireplace each night for us (they supposedly had electric heaters but we never got one; be sure to ask for one). My friend and I had a driver in an SUV take us on a tour of the area for $10 an hour which was worth it. He took us up the old Pan American highway with some awesome views of the mountains. My friend and I heartedly recommend this place. It was a little more on the pricey side (compared to the other hotels we stayed in in Ecuador but it was worth it). The wifi was good but the best reception was at the reception area. The dinners were good but a little expensive so were ate in town most of the time (except for their provided breakfasts). You can arrange horse-back rides right from the hotel too. Be sure to bring your camera.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for your appreciation, your advice and recommendation and for such complimentary words. Please send a selection of your photographs to hacienda@cusin.com.ec or to flickr.com.

I'm so glad that you enjoyed your meals but please understand that maintenance of such a large complex with a well paid staff to ensure its quality, is relatively expensive.
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

Stayed in early May 2014. Overall quite satisfied, even though its over my budget. Since one doesn't often get the chance to stay in 400 Plus year old Spanish Haciendas I went for it!

I stayed in the rooms on your left as you enter. I looked over the website will and with the different places they book, it was very confusing to know just what to take. A map and distances and more description on the website would be helpful to help those make a choice.

The best and most expensive rooms are in the main house. The rooms on the side when you enter are discounted a bit from the main house but only steps away. Those farther, are actually in a diff complex but only a few hundred meters away. They get cheaper there but the feel is not the same as its a diff walled compound, yet you can wander the gardens in either and still go to eat in the Cusin dining room.

Service is good but a bit spotty and for that price Id expect a bit more. For example there is a big folder explaining everything in the room. It tells you how to set your heater. I look ALL OVER, and I find no heater. I ask the front desk just where is this heater you write about in the welcome book in the room. Oh....guess your room doesn't have one. We'll bring one but it never arrives. One of the help asks me how things are. I say fine ex its cold at night! Gets into the upper 30s F. I said some heater was supposed to come but never did. He does and I think asks again for me..but nothing ever comes. They do have a fireplace and they bring wood, but the heat often rises and burns out fast as it isn't big logs. So within an hour that's often dwindling. The fireplaces still is a good help!

Another thing is the dining room at dinner has a water glass. They don't fill it. We ask for water, but it never comes. The glass is there, and we ask, but no...never. I see a big water tank with spigot....hmmm...shall I just go back there and get it myself?? WIth prices like this....$22.00 plus 12% plus 10% for a lunch or dinner and that's just the main dish....in Ecuador....service should be better than it is, because by Ecuadorian standards this is REALLY expensive.

The website talks of animals but there is horses to rent but not a whole lot else. The gardens though are very nice. You will enjoy the gardens. Watch for the hummingbirds too!

Overall it was still a nice place and if the prices are what your used to paying, go for it! They do offer airport pickup for $70 plus 10% or a total of $77. The going rate on the street is about $60. Since most flights arrive at night and its a long way we paid it going and the driver was good and reliable. We found our own driver for the departure for less. You can NOT make deals with anyone who works with the hotel at anytime though. Hotel gets a cut of anything they do no matter what day it is and they cant be seen coming in to get you later without you going through the hotel.

Room Tip: Stay in the main building at he highest rate, or at the secondary rooms for about 10% less where I d...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for taking such time to write your extensive review and offer your point of view. Thank you also for website suggestions (the property/ grounds map will enlarge with a click).

Guest rooms to the left of main entrance, from Sierra 11 to Suite Capuli (16). Of those rooms, Sierras 15 and 16 are larger and more expensive. I'm sorry that you found such a large complex expensive.

Your highly valued comments will be an important part of the next staff meeting.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

When we first visited Cusin in 1997 we were immediately enchanted and have returned at least half a dozen times. After inspecting the majority of guest rooms, all very different, we settled upon romantic Garden Cottage 10 and Sierra 9 in the Main house. Each return visit we found refinements and improvements throughout the property complex, food and its presentation and gardens in particular. Cusin is another world to which we will return.

The staff, most have been there for over 24 years, are dedicated, warm and exceptional. It is obvious everywhere from the cleaning (Ester is a true character) to the cooking and Hector's flower arranging that the staff take great pains to accommodate guests and have a great talent for doing so.

Apart from exploring the local area, Otavalo markets, Condor Parque and the recently restored Andian train ride from Ibarra, we enjoyed lunches at Las Palermas Inn, La Posada del Quinde and La Compania and Café Vaca, near Cayambe.

Room Tip: Room 25 is my favorite.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Your detailed and appreciative review with such generous words, especially for Cusin's staff, is an inspiration for everyone at Hacienda Cusin. Your advice for activities and local venues is most helpful.

Your frequent visits to Cusin is the highest form of appreciation that La Familia de Cusin could have. Thank you. Regresa pronto!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Otavalo
Casa Mojanda
Hosteria Cabanas del Lago
Hacienda Zuleta
Hacienda Zuleta
#1 of 92 in Imbabura Province

Been to Hacienda Cusin? Share your experiences!