“GREAT LOCATION”

Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Otavalo
Manta, Ecuador
“GREAT LOCATION”
Reviewed 18 September 2013

The hotel is located just 3 blocks from the market. On market day the street to the market is lined with the locals where they set up booths and sell their goods. There is a fantastic restaurant next door on the 3rd floor. It has the only elevator in Otavalo. The food is great and they have two craft beers on tap. It is the best beer I have had in Ecuador!

Room Tip: There is no elevator. Ask for a room on one of the lower floors
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Swansea, Illinois
Reviewed 17 July 2013

We booked Friday July 12, 2013 via the internet, then booked Sat. and Sun. (13th & 14th) via credit card at the front desk. When checking out, the desk clerk said we owed for 3 nights. I produced an email that showed conformation of payment for July 12, and he reluctantly agreed but insisted that we still owed for the following 2 nights. I produced the paper receipt and he still argued with us for 30 minutes about the payment, then reluctantly agreed. Do hotels keep records of payments, and should desk clerks know how to access these records. I think so.

Room Tip: 2nd floor room on street has great view if you don't mind a lot of street noise during the day.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank west684
World Traveler
Reviewed 14 July 2013

I stayed one night at Coraza. I was given Rm 114, a single room ensuite, for $21.50. Though Rm 114 sounds like it is located on the first floor, it is in fact located on the third floor. The hotel was pretty quiet and Rm 114 contains a double bed, a glass-topped desk, an end table, plenty of cupboards for clothes and a large bathroom. A large window provides natural light. On the surface it looked great, but there were several negatives: the small desk lamp was not plugged in and when I tried to plug it in I found that its electric cord terminated in two loose wires, so I was unable to use the desk lamp. One of the four corner supports that support the desk chair cushion was missing, so when I sat on the desk chair, the chair nearly collapsed. Careful: the TV is mounted above the path to the bathroom so that the base of the TV is less than 6 ft from the floor, and I banged my head on it once when I walked passed it. I took two showers, one hot but one was not even lukewarm. The WiFi rarely worked well to the room; most of the time neither of my three devices could even sense a signal. So if I wanted to go online, I needed to do so from the lobby.

The $21.50 fee includes breakfast, served 7:00 - 10:00 a.m.. I arrived at 8:25 on a Sunday morning and had trouble finding a table that was not covered with the remains of other guest’s breakfasts. It looked like everyone in the hotel had eaten breakfast and left the dining room by 8:25. There is no buffet or menu; a waiter asks you what you would like and he may have it (eggs) or he may not (fruit). The breakfast was okay.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Newport, Rhode Island
Reviewed 2 March 2013

Chose this place primarily for the location, in the center of all activities, you can walk basically anywhere. Very close to public squares, Saturday market.

Rooms are very basic but spacious. The breakfast was among the better I saw at hotels in Ecuador, and the coffee was rich and thick. Half a small cup will do you just fine!

Staff doesn't really speak English, but are helpful.

Lots of noise early in the morning from the street as the vendors began setting up for Saturday market.

Room Tip: Hotel is right next to the street that the Saturday vendors set up their carts on, and we were woken...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank GoldenHorse1
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 15 January 2013

This hotel is a block from a nice public plaza in the centro. It's spotlessly clean and I paid US$16.50 for a big room with big windows facing the street. Excellent wifi. Breakfast was cooked-to-order eggs and bread and juice and coffee/tea. A good grocery store across the street, and a good coffee shop on the plaza. Four blocks away is the main plaza with another of Otavalo's famous markets. The best value for my whole trip.

Room Tip: The street side may have some noise at night, but I like seeing what's going on.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank henrybmn
Reviewed 4 January 2013

We did not like our stay in this hotel and so we do not recommend it to others. It is situated in a busy and noisy area. The staff hardly speaks English and we had a hard time communicating. I was cold sleeping at night due to the lack of heat; the room was basic and not very clean. There was no phone in the room. I guess this would be an OK hotel with the Ecuadorian standards, but not with American standards.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank TravelWorldSeeWithin
Amissville, Virginia
Reviewed 9 October 2012

A bit lacking on customer service, depends really on who is sitting at the front desk when you walk in the door or need something. For the price, this place rocked my world with it's cleanliness, excellent location, and filling breakfast.

Great value if you are looking for no frills kind of accommodation.

Room Tip: I specifically requested windows and got RM 108 - love it to pieces. When poking my nose into some o...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank liliwarka
Also consider these accommodations in or near Otavalo
Hotel El Indio Inn
#3 of 15 in Ibarra
Hostal Dona Esther
Hostal Dona Esther
#6 of 28 in Otavalo

Been to Coraza? Share your experiences!