“Very good !”

Coraza
Coraza
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Otavalo
Reviewed 1 March 2014

Just a block from the main plaza, and half block off the main one way street leading directly to it.(Bolivar) Only 3 blocks from the main market, and still walkable to the bus station in 10-15 minutes. Cab to the station was only a buck. This hotel has lots of rooms on 3 floors, and very helpful staff, even though only the owner spoke english, and we only saw him when we first viewed the room. We wanted to arrange a bit of a tour, and then transport to the airport in Quito for our flight home. One gentleman on the front desk staff volunteered to take us in his small car, how nice was that! Since we could not really communicate well, and his car was very small, we felt awkward about taking him up on his offer,and did not. Another local guest of the hotel, who spoke english and had a crew cab Ford pickup also offered, but it was too expensive for our budget at $150, which would cover his daily wages at his work, plus gas. My point is, if you ask, everyone is willing to help, which is awesome. The rooms are pretty clean,but not spotless, with hot water, if you can wait a few minutes for it. Wifi was not functioning in our first room at the very end of the hall, but we got moved 1 door down, and it was quite fast then. Hallways are dark at night, but there are light switches handy down their lengths. The front door at the desk is always locked when the staff is away from the desk. The beds were pretty comfortable, and linens were good, but there is a lot of noise from the parking lot starting at around 6 am. Alarms going off all the time, and trucks starting up early to warm up. I guess the hotel is popular with travelling workers/truckers for it's parking lot. It was by no means unbearable. Otherwise, the place was quiet for sleeping. The room was not too cool at night either, so no need for a heater. I guess the carpeting helped.The room has a television, with a few english movie channels. The included american breakfast is served in a big dining room overlooking Abdon Calderon street, and comes with your choice of eggs or omelette, nice buns, jam, butter, juice, and coffee or tea. The coffee is super strong 90 weight, unless you ask for more hot water, or lots of hot milk. You can also substitute the eggs for yogurt, cereal, and fruit. All in all this hotel was half the price as the nearby Indigo Inn Hotel, for a similar type room, I don't know about their breakfast though. There are quite a few hostels nearby in this area that were in the $8-$15 per person range that we found not suitable for us. I would definitely stay here again,and recommend it to other budget travellers.

Room Tip: Maybe a room away from the parking lot is quieter?
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank captainronanejo69

Reviewed 14 October 2013

We followed the advice from an other person, get a room in the rear with the parking lot view
But it gets pretty noisy until 1 am, traffic, vehicles alarm systems and so on
No elevator, secured free parking, free breakfast sud america style
Staff only speaks spanish, it is very helpful if you want to practice, staff is also very helpful.
Our stay was 3 nights booking thru Booking.com, when we checked out our bill was 129$ including VAT of 12% and service charge of 10%.
If you pay cash is is 129.00$ if you want to use Visa add an extra 15.40$ to that amount
Maybe Booking.com should check on that hefty Visa add-on

Room Tip: Higher floor and not on week-end
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 October 2013

I spent 4 nights at this hotel in room 111 and I thought it was very nice. The rooms were spacious and clean. The (big) window had a quite a nice view of the mountains and let in lots of natural light. The staff (although limited with their English), were friendly and helpful. The location of the hotel is as other people have described. It is only a few blocks away from the Daily and the Saturday market. The breakfast was a choice of either scrambled egg or omelette with several bread rolls, the drinks were fresh juice with either tea or coffee. In short, I would be more than happy to stay at this hotel again in the future.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Catherine P
Reviewed 21 September 2013

For our only night in Otavalo, we chose here because of location. Room was clean, neat, and spacious compared to most. WiFi was extremely good! Very rare in Ecuador. The breakfast excellent and service couldn't have been better! Wish had stayed longer.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TriciaLyman
Reviewed 18 September 2013

The hotel is located just 3 blocks from the market. On market day the street to the market is lined with the locals where they set up booths and sell their goods. There is a fantastic restaurant next door on the 3rd floor. It has the only elevator in Otavalo. The food is great and they have two craft beers on tap. It is the best beer I have had in Ecuador!

Room Tip: There is no elevator. Ask for a room on one of the lower floors
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 July 2013

We booked Friday July 12, 2013 via the internet, then booked Sat. and Sun. (13th & 14th) via credit card at the front desk. When checking out, the desk clerk said we owed for 3 nights. I produced an email that showed conformation of payment for July 12, and he reluctantly agreed but insisted that we still owed for the following 2 nights. I produced the paper receipt and he still argued with us for 30 minutes about the payment, then reluctantly agreed. Do hotels keep records of payments, and should desk clerks know how to access these records. I think so.

Room Tip: 2nd floor room on street has great view if you don't mind a lot of street noise during the day.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank west684
Reviewed 14 July 2013

I stayed one night at Coraza. I was given Rm 114, a single room ensuite, for $21.50. Though Rm 114 sounds like it is located on the first floor, it is in fact located on the third floor. The hotel was pretty quiet and Rm 114 contains a double bed, a glass-topped desk, an end table, plenty of cupboards for clothes and a large bathroom. A large window provides natural light. On the surface it looked great, but there were several negatives: the small desk lamp was not plugged in and when I tried to plug it in I found that its electric cord terminated in two loose wires, so I was unable to use the desk lamp. One of the four corner supports that support the desk chair cushion was missing, so when I sat on the desk chair, the chair nearly collapsed. Careful: the TV is mounted above the path to the bathroom so that the base of the TV is less than 6 ft from the floor, and I banged my head on it once when I walked passed it. I took two showers, one hot but one was not even lukewarm. The WiFi rarely worked well to the room; most of the time neither of my three devices could even sense a signal. So if I wanted to go online, I needed to do so from the lobby.

The $21.50 fee includes breakfast, served 7:00 - 10:00 a.m.. I arrived at 8:25 on a Sunday morning and had trouble finding a table that was not covered with the remains of other guest’s breakfasts. It looked like everyone in the hotel had eaten breakfast and left the dining room by 8:25. There is no buffet or menu; a waiter asks you what you would like and he may have it (eggs) or he may not (fruit). The breakfast was okay.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo