“the perfect getaway”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Otavalo
Ali Shungu Mountaintop Lodge
Ranked #8 of 34 Otavalo B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 January 2012

The perfect place to revive your body and mind, and find some adventure if you feel like it. This place is a true getaway in the mountains, surrounded by eucalyptus trees, and the guesthouses are fabulous. Everything has been designed for comfort - the beds are fantastic, the view is incomparable and the food some of the best I have ever had. I felt welcomed but independent, there is plenty of information and help to plan your days but also the freedom to be alone, rest and relax. Every aspect of my stay was perfect!

Room Tip: All the guesthouses look fantastic!
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo

Reviewed 10 January 2012

I LOVE it here! We stayed here Dec of 2011.
Frank and Margaret make you feel instantly at home at Ali Shungu and are filled with a wealth of knowledge on Ecuador and are happy to dispense tips to you. The rooms/house is MASSIVE! Basically, my friend and I had a whole house with 6 beds to ourselves, living room with fireplace and kitchen. The price includes a 2 hour horseback ride and meals. It's an incredible deal and great quality service. I've been telling all my friends about it. I highly recommend this place and would love to come back.

Room Tip: All rooms have great views.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 January 2012

Ali Shungu is in an amazing setting in the middle of the Andes and cannot be beat for its tranquil place in nature. Take a horseback ride and see for yourself. The food is the best - veggie lasagna, tomato soup, French toast, etc. and so much to eat .... The accommodation was very comfortable, authentic and all I could ask for - kitchen, huge bathroom, beautiful bedrooms with mountain views, a fireplace, and a patio for soaking up the sun or the views or just for reading and relaxing. Last, but not least, the owners are the friendliest and most welcoming I have run into in a long time. The go out of their way to make your stay the most enjoyable and their staff is like family and treated me like family, too (and also my dog!!). All in all, 2 days was not enough .... I will remember that the next time I stay! Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Every one of the houses has superb views
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 December 2011

This place was simply amazing at the tail end of a trip and I wish we'd had much more time. I plan to come back and highly recommend it.
Highlights:
* the DELICIOUS meals -- I'm stil thinking about the veggie lasagna
* the OWNERS -- delightful, fascinating, and incredibly hospitable people who will be friends for life
* the VIEWS -- worth getting up for sunrise over the volcanoes
* the STAFF -- amazing people who kept firewood in the stove and gourmet food on the table despite a power outage
* the LODGING -- beautiful houses that made me feel at home and peaceful. Didn't want to leave but there was so much more to explore.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 December 2011

We recently stayed at Ali Shungu - I did NOT want to leave. The lodging was wonderful, food was so delicious, and the service was outstanding. I cannot wait to go back - and next time I'm staying a lot longer!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 December 2011

We visited Ali Shungu Mountaintop Lodge at the end of our two week trip to Ecuador with the idea of relaxing and unwinding from our week in the Galapagos before we headed back to Seattle. It met and exceeded all expectations and I wish we could have stayed for several more days because it was so perfect. The living spaces are huge and comfortable, the food outstanding, the staff attentive and the owners are really interesting and fun. Frank offered guidance on our day's activities when asked and was the perfect travel guide! Margaret was so fun to meet and makes the most amazing jewelry (be sure to ask about it)! Our horse ride was interrupted by thunder and lightening but was very fun nonetheless and after the storm passed, leaving in its wake no electricity, the staff did not miss a beat in preparing a beautiful meal and seeing to all our needs. Most of the lodge is not electricity-based so hot showers were still available and the atmosphere enhanced. It was the perfect location to venture into many of the surrounding communities and then to return to relax and reflect on the day. There is so much natural beauty in the area. When I return to Ecuador, I will return here for as many days as I can fit in to enjoy more of the hiking trails and other nature-based experiences. The weaving and leather materials in the area, as many have noted, is wonderful.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 December 2011

A quick 2 hour ride bus from Quito, Ali Shungu Mountaintop Lodge is the kind of place where you could hole up for days and be quite content.

We intended on staying two nights before moving on toward the central part of the country, but our plans quickly went out the door when we were taken by the lodge and its idyllic setting overlooking Otavalo. It is a place that you simply do not want to leave.

The accommodations are amazing—roomy guesthouses that are beautifully furnished, fully-equipped, and immaculately clean. Each has a wood-burning stove that’s kept stoked all day long.

The staff is friendly and attentive, and the owner, Frank, goes out of his way to ensure that you feel at home. His extensive knowledge of the area, its customs and quirks provide insights unavailable in any guidebook. And his ties to the community are a testament to his commitment to making a positive impact on the present and future of his neighbors.

Meals at Ali Shungu are part of the treat. With a strong emphasis on vegetarian, they are thoughtfully prepared, fresh and varied—and always delicious.

We loved the remoteness of the location, for its peace and serenity. Yet we knew a 10 minute taxi ride would put us in the heart of Otavalo.

Ali Shungu may be as close to perfection as you can get.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple