“Beautiful garden with hummingbirds” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of La Posada del Quinde

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Otavalo
La Posada del Quinde
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Otavalo
GreenLeadersGold level
San Francisco
“Beautiful garden with hummingbirds”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2011

This is a wonderful hotel with a beautiful garden and a very relaxing place to stay in town. Since I am a light sleeper I usually sleep with earplugs and since my room was away from the highway I had no problem sleeping. I only booked one night to go to the Saturday market because I wasn't aware there were more things to do such as various hikes, etc. If I hadn't left all my clothes in Quito I would have stayed longer. I really recommend people book for a few days because there is a lot to see in the area. As a single woman I don't want to go hiking by myself but Maggie said she could arrange for a local person to go with me. So that's a great option to consider for people who don't want to go hiking by themselves. There's a fireplace and sofas and at night a lot of the people staying in the hotel hang out there and it's a great way to meet hiking or travel buddies or just talk to people and also meet Maggie. All the woman working there were indigenous women and it was really wonderful to see that because at all the other hotels I stayed, I only saw mestizos being employed. The hotel also is environmentally friendly and has a big water bottle in the common area where you can fill up your own water bottle and also encourages people to reuse their towels. If you want to do your laundry the prices are very reasonable and are charged per load rather than per piece as is in the case in some hotels. The restaurant has many local dishes such as quinoa and also many vegetarian options. I highly recommend checking out the restaurant even to people who aren't staying there. Also on Fri. there is free live Andean music which everyone is welcome to attend guests and nonguests.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
      Location
      Rooms
2 Thank toantarticaandbeyond

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Verona, WI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2011

Since I was traveling not just with my wife, but my three children, too, I didn't think a Bed and Breakfast would be the best fit. I was wrong. Maggie assured me (in response to my email inquiry) that she had a room that would accomodate all of us. She also mentioned that there would be authentic, live Andean music on Friday night.

The staff was very warm and welcoming, and showed us to "the Presidential suite" (a huge room that could have fit 8 people!) After venturing off to la Cascada de Peguche (the local waterfall - spectacular!), we came back for dinner. Maggie took our order herself and apologized for the wait (the restaurant was full, but the wood-fired pizza was well worth it.) Afterward, we listened to the live music, enjoyed the fire, and hung out for a while.

The next morning's breakfast was great - fresh fruit, bread, eggs, and fresh-squeezed juice. The world-famous Otavalo market is only a few blocks away, and we spent the day there before retrieving our bags around 5:30 PM and heading back to Quito.

Our stay at La Posada del Quinde was a highlight of our month-long trip to Ecuador, and I'm sure we'll be back someday. Maggie (the owner) adds a personal touch and makes every guest feel welcome. If you get a chance, ask her how she ended up in Ecuador from California!

Room Tip: I noticed some guests having to walk through the breakfast area to get to their room. Not a big deal...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
      Location
      Rooms
redondo beach california
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2011

We were made to feel so welcome here. Maggie makes a point to talk to all of her guests and takes the time to answer questions, make suggestions and help plan for day trips. We ate in the restaurant every night because the food and the atmosphere (fireplace, music, nice guests, etc) were great. We hung out on the couches/common area by the fire and read when we weren't out and about. The showers were super powrful and lots of hot water. Pacha, Maggies' dog, is around for any dog lovers. Maggie's staff respects her and she treats them with respect in return which was nice to observe. It's an easy walk to the main square where the market is and side streets full of restaurants. Also, it's an easy walk to the food markets. The animal market on Saturday was more impressive to us than the Saturday crafts market. Be prepared for mud and a full house of locals shoping for anything from guinea pigs to cows and pigs. We enjoyed our days there and would not have stayed anywhere else. Thank you Maggie!!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Sarasota, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2011

With just a short walk to the market, La Posada del Quinde is a great place to stay in Otavalo. The grounds are gorgeous with plants and birds filling the back courtyard. The restaurant was delicious. The owner and staff were super friendly and really helpful. With the bonus of free wifi, staying here is a must when visiting this amazing area of Ecuador.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2011

i discover this hotel here in tripadvisor... and everybody is right! is a nice hotel, clean, the food is great, the staff is helpful and friendly. in the social area they a have a great fireplace and a computer with internet. is close to the famous market (walking distance), but you can call a taxi if you dont want to walk. the ladies in the staff use the traditional otavalo dress and they look great!! is the place to stay in otavalo

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
College Park, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2011

We booked a stay here on a Friday night so as to get an early start seeing the Saturday markets. It worked perfectly for that, but I wished we had planned to stay longer! The Posada was a beautiful restful place with good food and a helpful and friendly owner. They provided great material on trips, including hikes, to nearby attractions and I was disappointed not to have time to explore more. So, definitely go for the Saturday markets, but also leave some time to relax in the posada's garden and check out the local area.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Jonesborough, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2011

In my opinion, Posada de Quinde is the best hotel in Otavalo for business or tourism. It is located within walking distance of the world famous market. The owner and staff are friendly and helpful. The restaurant features a fireplace, really fresh, local foods, and has traditional music on weekend nights. The patio and gardens offer a quiet, lovely spot after a long day of shopping. The rooms and gardens also have a gorgeous view of the dormant volcano Imbaburra. A major point not to be taken lightly is that there are heaters in the rooms. Most hotels in Otavalo are unheated and can get very uncomfortable on cold Andean nights! There is also a computer available and wi-fi connection.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Otavalo
Casa Mojanda
Hacienda- Hosteria Chorlavi
Hotel el Indio
Hotel el Indio
#8 of 14 in Otavalo

Been to La Posada del Quinde? Share your experiences!