“"My favorite roof top"”

and 1 more site!
Hostal Dona Esther
Ranked #7 of 33 Otavalo B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 May 2014

This is the best place to stay for location, accommodation price, service and food in Otavalo!
Always clean and kept up, the simple rooms are charming. The staff and owners couldn't be more helpful or kind! And the view from the roof top is lovely- beautiful mountains by day and the church is lit up by night. After a day of exploring I feel like I'm going home to relax. I stayed last year and it was great to go back this year. They even remembered us and one of the girls commented on my Spanish being better- not that you have to have it they can help you if you speak English! I highly recommend staying with them.

Room Tip: I need a firmer bed and prefer the twins to a double.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
WendyOtavalo_Ecuador, Owner at Hostal Dona Esther, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

Thank you so much, we're always happy to have you as our guests!

Reviewed 25 February 2014

Been coming here approx twice a year for nearly 15 years. My very first trip to Otavalo back in the 1990's I started out staying at another hotel that was not satisfactory. Moved to Dona Esther and been with them ever since. Quaint, relaxing, and clean with an absolutely great staff. The owners are Dutch that speak fluent English, Spanish, and some other languages as well. Most of the staff have been there for years and are so very very helpful and friendly. They always make me feel like I am coming "home". Very trustworthy - have never had a problem of any kind. Easy walk to the market. If you buy too much at the market that you can't carry it back, a taxi will take you back for only $1. Front gate is locked at the entrance (just ring the bell) for security. Beautiful garden courtyard in the middle and in the front as well. Sit out there and enjoy a beer or glass of wine. Attached to the hostal is the restaurant with a clay pizza oven that makes great pizza. Many other food choices are fantastic as well. See my review of Restaurante Arbol de Montalvo for more review regarding the restaurant.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 January 2014

We were very happy with our stay at this inn. Our rooms were comfortable and clean. The location was wonderful- very close to markets, restaurants and shops. Management was helpful and very friendly. Our son met us for part of the stay and in a mix up, the taxi driver who took him to the airport was paid twice- once in the car, once by me on the bill. The hotel called immediately to tell me about this error and credited me back the over payment on Paypal. I probably wouldn't have even known if they didn't catch it. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again. I thought it was a good value..

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 January 2014

We had a good stay with perfect staff who could answer all our questions about what is possible in Otovalo and region. The hotel was exactly what we expected, just as we saw at their site. Bathroom basic but clean. Room looks really nice with lokal made decorations, good beds. About the restaurant; it is an experience to eat the pizza's which are freshley made and baked in a original oven, beautiful taste. All the other dishes we tasted were also really good.
Located in the centre of Otovalo close to the famous market and beautiful centre of Otovalo.
We had a lovely stay in Hostal Dona Esther and we will be back!

Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 29 December 2013

Price for this lodging is way too high for what you get. No mattress pad on bed, 1 light over bed, thin pillows, dripping shower, no Tv except small 14" in the "reading room ". Just discovered credit cards not accepted! Have to use paypal & show proof of payment. Wasn't expecting a resort but for cost, certainly thought this should be comparable to other Ecuadorian hotels. Not the case. Musty smell in the bedding. Staff was okay but not extraordinary. Great location, good map available to easily find the place. While the crafts market is a draw, this property is fairly run down for what it represents itself to be.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
WendyOtavalo_Ecuador, Owner at Hostal Dona Esther, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2014

I'm sorry to read that you didn't enjoy your stay. With the complaints about the room you had, you could have chosen another hotel, we don't oblige anyone to stay with us, it is your own free choice.. Sometimes people just like other kinds of hotels and not the colonial style hotel we have,

We don't have tv in the rooms, because a lot of our guests don't even like to have tv in their room and because we don't like the noise of 13 tv's in a small building. Of course you could have asked before checking in. The paypall service works very fine for a lot of guests and besides, it's a lot cheaper and safer than the regular credit card service in Ecuador (and we pay the Paypal costs). The fact that we don't accept credit cards in the hotel is stated everywhere, online and in the hotel.

It would have been nice if you had chosen to complain to us during your stay and not only online, there's even a small survey in your room to mention anything broken or failing, so that it can be fixed.

Reviewed 26 December 2013

Booked room more than six months ago when breakfast was included. Arrived to find out that was no longer true. Internet was out after the first two days and never got fixed. Owner shows up around the time the bar opens. When I asked about being compensated for the lack of internet access, I was told he'd call the police on me. I stay more than 200 nights a year in hotels and have never been treated this way. Avoid at all cost! The staff was very nice and even apologized for his action upon checkout.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

So, we see you're back again. We already wrote an answer somewhere else to your earlier angry review, You probably read that and you decided to write an angry review again, but this time on Tripadvisor, and that on a Christmas day.
I could repeat this answer, but I think it says enough to tell some facts. Breakfast was never included in the room price (for 10 years now) and it seems a bit silly to be angry about 4 dollars for your breakfast, anyhow.
The internet had a problem, yes, like we explained to you over and over. It was fixed after you left (that is, after a week). Things don't go that fast in Ecuador, although I would have liked to. Anyway, there was internet in the building, only not in your room and besides that, it is a free service, not a right.
Of course we're not in the hotel 24/7, we also have a life. Besides that, there's a restaurant, not a bar. And last but not least, our staff was afraid of you, and didn't know what to tell you anymore about the internet because they explained many times.
Of course, you could have left earlier, because it really seems you hated your stay, I remember my husband also offered to find you another hotel, but that was not the idea. Maybe, just maybe, you just wanted the discount, which in fact, you already had because I gave you a 10% discount with your reservation.

We have many satisfied guests, as everyone can read everywhere, but sometimes someone comes along who would better have chosen another kind of hotel. I remember this couple had plans of living in Ecuador, which we strongly do not recommend for them. If you can't adjust in any way, it will be hard for you to live here.

Reviewed 5 December 2013

Great location for this cute little Hostal. Very close to all the auction in town....two block away from the Market and almost the same distance to the saturday Market at Plaza de los Ponchos.

Breakfast and lunch/dinner is offered for a small price in this Hostal and the staff there are the most wonderful, especially Lucy, who was very helpful to us.

After our stay in Otavalo, I realized that I forgot my power cord for my laptop. So I called Lucy and within 48 hours, my power cord was mailed to Cuence, our next stop. The service provided by this Hostal is top class and I would recommend this Hostal to everyine who wants to visit Otavalo.

Room Tip: All room face the indoor courtyard. There is really not much noise to worry about
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple