“Entertainment not included!!!!”

Tamra Beach
Ranked #5 of 32 Hotels in Nabq Bay
“Entertainment not included!!!!”
Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

It's a first I haven't ever written a review, but felt I had too.

I am at Tarma Beach Resort and the rooms and staff are fantastic (I cannot emphasis this enough) but they cancelled all kids entertainment due to the low occupancy. we have 2 children and booked this on the basis on keeping our two busy so my wife and I could enjoy some quality time.

This wasn't something anyone felt we should know prior and on asking the hotel (both the reception and GM) and our rep (who tried again to speak to the hotel) we were told this wasn't part of the contractual obligations.

PLEASE PLEASE ASK AS WE DIDNT....NOW HAVING TO ARRANGE ENTERTAINMENT AT ADDITIONAL COSTS...... WOULD LOVE A GOOD ENDING WILL UPDATE IF THE OWNERS FEEL THEIR BRAND IS IMPORTANT ENOUGH TO RECONSIDER

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Sally M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
Beaulieu, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 April 2014

My daughter and I have just returned (6/4/14) from booking a last minute holiday at the Tamra Beach Resort. As it was our first time in Egypt we weren't too sure what to expect so decided to go for a 5* all inclusive deal. Having spent sometime checking out other hotels on line and reading reviews, the Tamra seemed to be a good bet, and I can't imagine making a better choice. We were allocated a double room on the second floor overlooking the sea, pool and immaculately kept gardens, I had originally asked for two beds but as it was a super king size this turned out not to be a problem. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful and nothing was any trouble. It is Italian run which was actually really nice, but because of the political unrest all Italians and Germans were advised to stay away, except for a few, so it meant that a resort normally housing 600 guests had only about 60, which once you got used to the slightly eerie feeling of being one of a few, felt rather exclusive and meant you got the undivided attention of the staff. If you like mediterranean food, which we do, you will be very happy. There was a really good choice at breakfast lunch and dinner, and we found ourselves looking forward to each event, unlike some hotels I've stayed in where you feel an impending sense of doom at mealtimes. There were lots salads, roasted/tempura vegetables, grilled fish/meat/chicken pasta & rice, as well as lovely pastries and puddings and lots of fresh fruit. I think it would be impossible not to find something you liked at every meal. There was as much wine as you wanted served at lunchtime and dinner which was perfectly drinkable (I've had worse)! likewise with the local gin & tonics. I did notice they used Schweppes which was good, and helped the gin! Being a (fussy) coffee addict, I was a bit worried I'd have to dumb down for a week, but I had nothing to fear, the coffee at the beach was great, though i didn't try it anywhere else in the restaurant or other bar but I'm sure it would have been just as good. We went on an all day boat trip to Ras Mohammed, an incredibly beautiful national park where you can experience some amazing snorkelling among breathtaking coral & colourful fish. Lunch was included and we paid about £25 each - well worth it. A special mention has to go to Alessandro Panarello, the animator who worked extremely hard looking after people by day, encouraging them to snorkel off the jetty (more fantastic fish)! and play beach tennis and volleyball, and livened everything up by night in the central bar. The restaurant staff were also very attentive and sweet. Overall, I would have absolutely no hesitation in recommending this hotel if you want great weather, fabulous food, beautiful gardens, spacious clean rooms, friendly staff and peaceful sunbathing. Go!!

Room Tip: Rooms in block 7000 are lovely and just a few steps from the beach, pick second floor for good views...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Jane1emberson
Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 April 2014

We booked to stay at this hotel as it was a good price and the reviews seemed really good.

The rooms are brilliant - they are big with lovely bathroom facilities.

However the lovely room seems to be one of the few things going for it. Maybe this is because we went in low season?

The other good thing about this hotel is the beach - we walked up the beach by quite a few hotels and the Tamra seems to have the best bit of beach for quite a few hotels. The snorkelling of the jetty is brilliant.

One of the things everyone seems to enjoy about the place is the food... I really don't know why everyone raves about it. Me and my partner are not too fussy although we both like quite simple food. Yes they did fresh pizza but it was only available for an hour a day between 11-12 - this did how ever taste ok. But then they only ever did 2 different types. The same two types each day.

We struggled to find much to eat in the main restaurant - we actually ate out 5 evenings because of this. We found the food to be cold and the selection was really quite poor. On one evening there was only 1 meat selection - this is really not good. The fresh pasta is nice how ever but I didn't want to eat only pasta every day for a week. My partner really struggled to find anything.

Breakfast was ok although the chef only ever has 2 pans which if you get more than a few people waning omelettes/eggs/pancakes then you can be left waiting a while.

The other thing we found disappointing was that on our first night we asked for a cocktail menu..... they didn't have a clue what we meant. This hotel doesn't offer any cocktails.

As I said previously it may have been because we went at a quiet time that the food was not quite up to scratch - we will however not be returning to this hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Resort was beautiful and always immaculately clean. Rooms were brilliant and also very cleaning with stunning views, I would recommend a 2nd floor room for better views.

The food was good for the most part! Lovely grilled fish and kebab, sometimes selection was limited but it is a short walk away from the strip where you can explore different restaurants.

All the signs are in Italian and the staff and entertainment is all catered for the Italians but we loved it! It was so good to be away from Britain and feel as though you really are on holiday without overhearing conversations.

Would recommend quad biking (£20), snorkelling (£25), camel riding (£5-10), trips to see the markets and the nightlife. We did them all and loved every minute. Prices are very good too!

Downsides: Poor selection of all inclusive drinks that are served in small glasses. The bar is quite a walk away from the beach so it can be difficult to remain hydrated. Bring a big glass or bottle to use! We walked to the shop where a bottle of 7up was 10p!
Ice-cream not free, we read somewhere that this was included but it is not.
Hilly up hill walk from the pools and the beach which can be hard in the middle of the day in the scorching heat, be mindful of this!

Overall lovely hotel and we would go again!

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Taylor3005
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Without spieling on in the same manner as all the positive reviews, I cannot recommend this hotel enough!! Yes it is Italian and all signs etc are written in Italian with no translation and all entertainment is geared towards the Italian but it actually was a refreshing change not to be in a predominantly British resort! The hotel was quite empty when we went because of recent troubles in Eygpt but even with a small clientele the food was excellent and plentiful with a superb selection (although my husband did think everything was over salted which I tended to agree on some of the dishes). The grounds were immaculate, rooms spacious and again immaculate. Staff were excellent - very helpful and attentive.

We did the boat/snorkeling trip to Tiran Island which I highly recommend - excellent value for money!

The only downsides (which weren't a massive problem) were - the gym facilities were very tired and the gym wasn't very well air conditioned, all inclusive drinks were quite restrictive - wine only in the restaurant, beer (in very small glasses) and a mini selection of spirits only available at the main bar. Drinking water wasn't easily accessible either with quite a walk from the beach or pool areas for a teeny weeny cup! (we ended up buying 2 bottles and refilling them for the room and pool sides against orders) - It may be worth packing your own plastic pint glasses (like our friends did) if you are big water drinkers like us which you can use for your beer later in the day! ;-)

Thoroughly enjoyed our holiday and if we go back to Sharm we would definitely go back - plenty to do, plenty of space, clean, well fed and well looked after………What more can I say?? :-)

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Ayr, Scotland
Reviewed 5 April 2014

Great points, room was brilliant, cleaner couldn't do enough. We didn't understand the comments on "sea view form the bath", but sure enough, its true (see pic).

The staff in the restaurant were very helpful. Great food choices, we were never stuck for choice, and the Italian influence meant I OD'd on pasta!!

You get real coffee, espresso and cappuccino etc, not many AI hotels do that, we are real coffee nuts! Again, the Italian influence.

Some of the Eden Village team were very talkative and friendly, having more English than my pigeon Italian. I know a little Arabic and got great response when I used it with the local staff. We knew before we went that all the entertainment was in Italian, but it just really wasn't an issue for us. Brits could still take part, and some did. We just enjoyed the atmosphere.

Snacks at various times were great. The way we saw Eden Village staff sit and talk to Italians during meals (every member sitting at a different table), and the chatting with Italian guests on the beach is a model that other animation teams could learn from. I've never seen that before, but was impressed and was just sorry to be a non Italian!

Things that could be improved:
Main reception is a poor way to start, most hotels (been to many in Sharm) give you a wow factor, welcome drink, lovely setting, usually a bit of a hive of activity. The outdoor empty reception was far from that. The staff were fine, it's just the feel and look that's the problem. Until we got ushered away from it, we were worried what we'd come to.

Can't get wine outside lunch and dinner, no rose wine available (got offered a mix of white and red!!!), although there are taps showing rose.

The bar above the restaurant was closed apart from the night it rained heavily, since this is the only inside bar.

Real inconsistency in getting a glass or small plastic cup. Depended who served you. At the main pool bar at night we watched consecutive guests being treated differently.

The band system where you are "marked" as a non Italian is very condescending. Some of the Italian staff didn't give you a second glance when you saw their eyes look towards the white band

It was difficult to contact the hotel, not easy to find their website and contact them (the contact us button doesnt work), until I asked a recent reviewer for an email address (Thanks Don R!!).
But when I did, I got a great response from Cheryl, who arranged a taxi for us and a sea view. Brill Cheryl, thanks!

Although I've scored overall 3/5, its more like 3.5, but not 4. We enjoyed our stay, but more likely to go to other hotels, been to 9 hotels in Sharm with 16 visits.

Room Tip: Sea view from the bath in the 7 block!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Bristol
Reviewed 3 April 2014

I'll keep this brief (!) as the many positive aspects about the Tamra Beach have been discussed many times before in other excellent reviews. So just a few pointers:

Twin rooms - I was told they do not have any, so requested an extra bed after refusing to use the sofa bed at my age! I was very pleased when they arrived with a 4' bed but not so pleased when it turned out to so firm I may as well have slept on the floor.

Bathrooms - the bathroom is unusually laid out in that there is no door! The toilet is in a separate room but if you are travelling with friends you may find it inconvenient during the shower shift.

Hilly - helped keep me fit but if you have any walking issues at all you could find the hotel difficult to navigate. Main path through grounds if crazy-paved and rather uneven.

Food - I found this average, but then my choices are often limited with all-inclusive being a vegetarian. Pizza was fantastic but shame only available from 10.30-12.00 midday.

Water - many have mentioned that no bottled water avail on AI. There are many water dispensers around but tiny disposable cups provided, making it almost impossible to keep properly hydrated. When I return I will bring a large plastic picnic glass to keep refilled. There are notices in rooms saying you are not allowed to refill water bottles at dispensers but I can't imagine any staff member objecting if they want to get their tips!!

We will definitely return & had a fantastic holiday.

Room Tip: If you can get upgraded to a room in the 6000 or 7000 block you will be nearest to beach & have...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Radisson Blu Resort, Sharm El Sheikh
Baron Resort Sharm El Sheikh
Baron Resort Sharm El Sheikh
#7 of 234 in Sharm El Sheikh

Been to Tamra Beach? Share your experiences!