“Tamra Beach Hotel”
Review of Tamra Beach

Tamra Beach
Ranked #7 of 33 Hotels in Nabq Bay
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Hi there, we've just got back from staying 7 days at this resort.

Just so that it is very clear from the beginning, this hotel is catered for Italian guest mainly.

Firstly when we arrived the rooms given to us were incorrect. We had booked rooms with single beds and several double rooms. They were all doubles. The hotel was very quite and there were not many guest for the size of the hotel. This was good as it was quite and you had lots of space at all the pools. The hotel tried to keep everyone in the same area as more than half the hotel was empty. The other half of the hotel was deserted. Although you could walk around everywhere and use any pool.

The beach for the hotel is very little. And stones. Man made. Not good for young kids. If daring you can walk out for a few hundred yards on rough stones then there is a drop. Also a jetty is there with someone always looking out which is a bonus (lifeguard). Is you take snorkels this jetty is great. I spends hours just floating and seeing all the coral an fish. You can walk down the steps at the end straight into the water. Other hotels also have jetties but for there own guests.

There are no water sports on the beach front there unlike other hotels at the other end where we stay twice before (coral sea area). If you book ANY activities, you will have to be taxied around. This can waste lots of time as per picking and dropping people off in a small van.
Quad biking you should be looking at around £15 from this hotels rep. Husain. Who organises activities as part of the hotel's change. Also £20 for parasailing off a boat, £20 snorkelling in the sea, £50 for diving. Snorkelling an diving are an ALL day trip. You will leave at about 9am and be back at about 4pm. The boat will take you to the neighbouring islands and stop several times, whilst divers are diving other on the boat will snorkel. They provide snacks etc. max people on boat around 20. Take a bandanna or scarf so that you can wrap it over your face and head, they all wear helmets now, remember the prices are per person, we had a big group 10. But you must haggle and be prepared to walk away!! REMEMBER they are not as busy and need the business.

Meet a comfortable and affordable price!

The hotel entertainment team keep guest as busy as they can, they play water & beach volleyball, table tennis run shows for children etc.

There are themed nights on wedn and sat each week. Different food and out door drinks etc.

The hotel provide you with 2 bottles of water ONLY which are in you room fridge when you arrive. If you are all inclusive then drink are available all day from 9-12 midnight. After which ALL machines are turned off. Even water in reception. No filling bottles as they get really angry as they don't sell bottles then.
The rooms are big and clean. House keeping come every day, and expect towel art. There is a safe in the cupboard to lock away valuables.free to use. You will need to give reception £10 for each beach towel you require. Refundable when you give back your towel card(s) at the end of your holiday.
The towels you get from the main pool area only at certain times of the day.

The restaurant caters for mainly Italian guests, lots of spaghetti and risotto dishes., fish and many seafood dishes daily. You will find many dishes in this hotel repeated daily. I would rate the food 6/10.... Vegetarians will struggle at this hotel. Many times the AC is not on ...ask them to turn it on if you need it.
Breakfast from 7.30- 9.30 and lunch 12.30-2.30 dinner 7.30- 9.30.

Another thing is that this hotel has a lobby area BUT no one uses it because they never keep the air con on. I found no communal area where people would just sit or relax, there are sofas empty bars, etc but who wants to sit there on their own in such heat.

Also on another note if you are given a rusty room key, tell the person who checks you in as these are likely to break in doors and they will charge 10 euros for a key! The doors are tricky to open in some rooms.

Taxi from /to airport should be about £10-15
Nama bay shopping £25 rtn bargains everywhere as long as you haggle!!
If you are going in the even (or day ) just let security know you are going and your room no.
The hotel security are very funny about taxi's dropping there own guest off to the front of reception?!?! We had kids and a baby of 2 but still had to walk to the security gates and back each time.
NOTE you do. Not need a visa if you are not travelling out anywhere!,
I seen many British people being PUSHED into these lines by Egyptians at the airport to by visa's. which u don't need.
There is a big sign up on the wall which also says this that no one reads as they push you into this line. Only buy if you are travelling, ie Cairo ..

Gift shop at hotel very expensive but namabay probably best place to do all you shopping... Remember be focused, if they say they will do you a good price for something and just choose first, say no... They tend to then bump the price up and when you turn around an say no they get angry you wasted their time. But they never give you a price in the first instanst. Always sort prices if you are getting many of the same items.

I would probably not rate or recommend this hotel for people with kids under 5.. As there is no real beach area and dangers everywhere, including the balconies which have big gaps between railings. All the paths in the hotel are stone set and uneven so be careful when walking or small children.

This would would good for couples. People who want to get away. Chill. They mainly speak Italian here but staff do understand English. There is no poolside service so expect to walk far for drinks. And only small plastic cups.

Pools have steps where they can play but not really any kid pools.
For adults the pools are great. 165cm deep mostly.
The beach area was a big let down for me, if you walk to the front of the hotel and walk to the right there are a few shops and markets to shop also.

No wifi in this hotel. They have a hub but always broken. They have a gym which opens 9am also. On site spa also.

I hope this helps people.

Room Tip: The person who checks you in will probably try and check you into a different room if they are less...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (3,253)

Reviewed 10 July 2014

We stayed at Tamara Beach over Christmas and New Year, we had never been to Egypt before and the airport was a bit of an eye opener but the hotel was very nice. We arrived quite late in the evening and the receptionist wasn't very helpful in terms of directing us to our room, eventually a member of staff appeared and helped us with our luggage and to find our room. The room was spacious and had separate shower, toilet and bath, it had a very nice sea view over the manicured gardens of the hotel. We had a pool nearby which was picturesque and had very comfortable padded loungers. The hotel had small private each and there was a jetty where you could go snorkelling. We were all inclusive and the food was exceptional with a lot of variety at breakfast, dinner and lunch, there are also snacks throughout the day. The only drawbacks here were the miserable chef on eggs and the very small cups/glasses that alcohol was served in at the bars. The hotel has a gym, which is small but adequate for a workout, I went for a run one evening outside the hotel towards the shops, it is an experience outside as taxis beep you constantly and shops often pester you to buy cheap rubbish. The hotel had an indoor pool with a sauna and steam, however there was a charge for that, which I thought was poor. Although the hotel caters for Italians don't let this put you off as the hotel staff are very accommodating and the Italians are quite friendly. My girlfriend and I were at the hotel over New Year and the evening dinner laid on was spectacular and we were given a table with other British residents. All round a very comfortable stay and almost perfect!!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank yickpie369
Reviewed 8 July 2014

The hotel/resort is really beautiful BUT there are major drawbacks with this hotel as it is supposed to be a four star,to begin with you are supplied with two one litre bottles of drinking water in your fridge upon arrival and advised not to drink tap water and then are informed that you couldn't fill them up at the bar! but had to BUY your own, all inclusive? I think not!
The staff were mostly very attentive and helpful we had almost no problems at all with them.
The food was limited and repetitive also our first Friday night meal was supposed to be a seafood night and the only seafood was one type of fish and some pathetic small crabs! on the second Friday also a seafood night there was only one tray of fried fish!
If you wanted a drink of water, fizzy or juice at the pool you had to use a tiny plastic cup that you could probably drink with one mouthful! The pool bar was the only real bar as at the beach you could only get non alcoholic drinks. there was no free wifi as in all the other hotels we have stayed in in Egypt. there was no facility for hot drinks in your room as there have been in all the other four star hotels we have stayed in in Egypt (five trips to Egypt.)also beware of the praying mantis at the pool bar because he likes touching women even if they have husbands or partners with them he thinks because he is the top barman he could do as he liked.
If you have mobility problems the site is on a sharp incline and the walk to the reception is a very hard slog!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Gesthebus
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I visited here with a friend and found it quite relaxing. The grounds were very well maintained and we did not have any problems. The beach is nice with quite a few fish which is nice for snorkelling and there are several pools - we had one to ourself most of the time!The restaurant staff are friendly especially Waleed and Ahmed as well as the other Waleed in the shop by redception.

Food is good on Wednesdays as they serve more egyptian style food, but is not badon other days.

The only negative was that it was so quiet, but that may be good for some people. Also it is very italian orientated with the animation team all italian.

We had a great stay though.

Room Tip: Room choice depends on you. Rooms in 6000 and 7000's are beach view, but quite a walk from recep...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Abs K
Reviewed 7 July 2014

My partner and I, along with my Mum and her partner, recently stayed at the Tamra beach hotel and thought it was absolutely beautiful. We had rooms close to each other that had gorgeous views across the impecably manicured gardens to the sea (we were in room 6112). I cannot fault the rooms at all, they are very spacious, have huge comfortable beds, very clean and our towels were changed every day (which were always in fun designs on the bed too).

The food in the restaurant was very good quality and varied; i'm a vegetarian and felt well catered for (the rest of my group are all meat eaters and were just as happy). Definite italian leaning in the food, which really appealed to me, as I love italian food. Breakfast ends a little bit early for my liking (9.30am), as I do like to have lie ins on holiday, but I'm sure for most people this wouldn't be a problem.

For me, the two biggest postitives for this hotel are the staff, who are all delightful and the room & grounds, neither of which I could fault in any way.

I highly recommend that you try snorkelling off the hotel's private jetty on the beach, as the fish and coral reef that you can see there are amazing.

The only downside for me would be the evenings - it is a bit quiet (which isn't the fault of the hotel - and actually the fact it's quiet is lovely during the day, as we had the pool closest to the beach to ourselves most days) and it's perhaps not the place for you if you like a few wines of an evening - you can get reasonable quality wine with lunch and dinner, but no wine at all in the bar after dinner. I didn't overly like the cocktails (although others did, so perhaps i'm being overly fussy), they were too sweet for me, so I ended up drinking lager of an evening (which wouldn't be my first choice). The glasses you are served in are also very small, but the staff do serve you very quickly when you would like more, it's just a little annoying to have to keep asking for refills. It's also quite a long walk to the local town if you wanted to go out there in the evening (about 30 minutes), although you can get a cheap shuttle from the hotel to Soho Square which is worth visiting.

Another point to note (which wasn't an issue for us, but worth bearing in mind) is that the path from reception to the rooms is quite steep, so if you have trouble walking, you may struggle. The staff are very helpful and took our bags to and from our rooms, but this wouldn't be a good hotel for someone with disabilities that affected their walking.

Trip wise, we did a boat trip and also the camel riding, quad biking and star gazing in the desert. Both of which I would highly recommend doing. We also snorkelled off the hotel jetty every day (snorkels weren't provided - we bought some in the hotel shop for £10, but you could probably get them cheaper online if you bring them with you).

Safety wise, as I know some people could be concerned given what is happening in other parts of Egypt, I never once felt unsafe or out of my comfort zone. The local people we met were all lovely and we never felt there was any danger.

Overall, I would stay again, but only if I wanted complete detox, relaxation time (which I do on occasion, but I do like a couple of glasses of wine in the evening on holiday and so this does slightly put me off unfortunately). I wouldn't rate them less than 4 out of 5 stars for this though, as everything else is so perfect, it's just worth knowing about.

Oh one final tip - you don't need to buy visas in the airport when you arrive, unless you are planning excursions going some distance away! This is a complete con (which luckily we didn't fall for). They will tell you that if you are going on any boat trips, you need a visa; you don't. We went out into Sinai desert and on boat trip with no visas and no problems. You do need a photo copy of your passport for boat trips and the hotel are happy to provide this.

Room Tip: Try and get a room near the beach side of the hotel (we were in 6112); they are beautiful, spacious...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sharkgirl28
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Beautiful , spotless , tranquil , just what we wanted . The service was outstanding and the waiters in the restaurant could not do enough for you , especially "Waleed" and "Ahmed".

The only negatives I could find were the climb to reception and the lack of bottled water in rooms .

Don't believe the hype , we travelled to Saint Cathriens Monastry in complete safety.

ask for a room in the 6000s , we stayed in 6118 and it was perfect but don't be scared to offer a tip for the right room

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank garren j
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Fantastic hotel. Room was always clean, food was great and service was good. Only down side was because it was quite some if the bars weren't open and I'm not sure we got full all inclusive experience. However that was a small price to pay for the peace & quiet. Not sure I would have enjoyed it as much if it was full.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
#3 of 33 in Nabq Bay
Baron Resort Sharm El Sheikh
Baron Resort Sharm El Sheikh
#6 of 231 in Sharm El Sheikh

Been to Tamra Beach? Share your experiences!