“Not 5* but not 5* prices”

Aurora Oriental Resort Sharm El Sheikh
Ranked #14 of 32 Hotels in Nabq Bay
Durham, United Kingdom
“Not 5* but not 5* prices”
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Have just spent 2 weeks at the Oriental Resort and I have to say for the price we paid it was excellent value for money. Ive stayed in Egypt once before and paid a lot more for it than the Oriental and this hotel I felt was better in some parts (but not in others)

Location is fantastic - step outside and you have Hard Rock Cafe, Burger King if you want it, Mcdonalds, KFC and few English Bars, there is a good metro supermarket next door also and several ATMs.

Reception - clean, spacious and reception staff very helpful.

Bar area - plenty of seating and the bar men try to serve you quickly, spirits not of a brilliant standard but the beer and the wine is acceptable.

Rooms - I was tempted to upgrade but decided not to and we had no major complaints about our room (319) Two double beds which were extremely comfortable, aircon that worked fab, overlooked the pool, bathroom does need revamping but we had no problems with shower pressure as some people complained of. We did manage to break the shower but they came the same day and repaired it. Kettle, tea, coffee and hairdryer in the room. Fresh towels and bedding every day. Our room man was extremely good - sorry cant remember name.

Swimming pools - there are 3 - we tried all of them but our favourite was the quiet pool at the front of the hotel which has a swim up bar (no alcohol) the main pool too noisy for me, the other quieter pool nearer the beach ok. My only criticism was that there are no pool rails to help you into the pool which could be a problem for some people. The steps are difficult to see and part of them are slippy - I slipped and fell one day. We did have a spa treatment, scrub and massage, make sure you haggle and negotiate a good price - i always think pay what you would aim to pay at home for similar treatment.

Food - this has to be one of the main let downs of this hotel unfortunately. Breakfast was not good, Im not talking about a full english as this is not going to happen in a Muslim country but even the choice of cheeses / cooked meats etc was not good. Lot of salad and vegetables if you are eastern european not for me, we did struggle and missed a few breakfasts. Lunch and evening meal were quite repetative, always a beef in some sort of sauce dish, chicken dish, veg and some fish. Pasta station and carvery also quite good. Saying that we managed to find something to eat most nights but I have to say ive had much better. The Italian restaurant was not consistent. We went 3 times in the 2 weeks after i complained about the main restaurant food to the head waiter there and I had the same food each time (mainly because the first time it was simply amazing) however that wasnt repeated. It was good but not as good as the first visit. Our waiters Islam and Mohammed were fantastic - credit to the hotel. I also felt that the main restaurant needed a good clean and floor tiles replacing as a lot of them were cracked. We didnt have any major problems with dicky tummy which was a bonus !!

Wifi - dont get it in the hotel its poor and expensive - seriously if you cant live without internet for you holiday arrange it through Sinai Safari company before you go - Tim and Janet british couple who provide a fantastic service - 2 weeks mobile Wifi cost £35 - attached several devices to it and worked brilliantly. They arrange to meet you outside the hotel to deliver it and come and collect when you are leaving. Have a search on trip advisor for them, they also do tours, brilliant service.

One thing I do have to comment on is the lack of Managment presence in the hotel and I left this remark on my comments sheet. Where is the restaurant manager ?? I saw him walking about after i had asked one of the waiters who he was but that was it. In the other hotel i stayed at n Egypt the Restaurant manager made himself known, greeted the diners asked if any problems but unfortunately not here. There was a woman walking about the restaurant a few times and it appeared she was from guest relations but after observing her for a few days not once did i see her approach guests to see if they had any issues - she just watched people. We did get one phone call near beginning of our holiday in the room asking if things were ok however. Oriental management need to walk around and talk to their guests!

Overall I really enjoyed my stay at this hotel and would definitely return, I also would have no worries staying here as a single woman traveller as I felt entirely safe in this hotel. I booked separate flights with easyjet and the hotel on its own - the hotel only worked out just over £15 a night - please bear this in mind when booking - absolutely fantastic value for money for a night all inclusive but remember that they are having to provide you with a roof over your head, 3 meals a day and as much alcohol that you want for that price so its not going to be 5* ! Take some extra spending money so that you can eat out a few times if you want to and you will have a great holiday- try the Bus Stop and the Three Crowns english bars for good meals. The staff are fantastic, the location is brilliant and the sun is shining - definitely worth a visit!

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank juem
Sanaa W, Manager at Aurora Oriental Resort Sharm El Sheikh, responded to this review, 2 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Your feedback at Trip Advisor is very appreciated by the Management as it reflects your opinion in our services. We are very glad that you will return back promising that we will take your negative comments into consideration.
Thank you for having time to write your feedback.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (378)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

Just returned from a weeks holiday at the oriental hotel nabq bay..hotel was very nice ,we upgraded our rooms for 10$ a nte which i think was worth it for that little bit extra.hotel was very clean food was good well looked after by waiters especially by hani and zak.the diving snorkling trip was once in a lifetime experience .a fantastic trip from start to finish sold to us on the beach by tin tin (amhed) nice guy .

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Bern G
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you on behalf of the Management & Staff of Oriental Resort for your nice feedback. Hoping to see you gain in the near future.
Liverpool, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Just returned from 10 days at the Oriental. It was myself, husband and 2 kids aged 13 and 11. It was great, we were in room 4131 on the ground floor by the "quiet" pool. We were treated like royalty from the off. Mohamed on the pool bar and Goma who saw to the towels and sunbeds were great. Asked our names and remembered them from the first, even the kids. They really did make the extra efforts to make sure we were enjoying ourselves. Our lads would have brought them home if they could. The waiters (Hamey) really made us welcome each mealtime. The food was all very fresh and there was plenty to choose from. The hotel is spotlessly clean and we can't wait to return. We were next to the Hard rock Café and I would urge anyone to go there, the food was excellent. Also opposite is an Indian restaurant called Virus. Don't let the name put you off. It was the best Indian meal we have had in a long time. Excellent food, service and price.

Room Tip: Rooms around the quiet pool are excellent and close to everything.
4 Thank Paddy D
Dear Guest,

On behalf of the whole Management of Oriental Resort, I would like to thank you for your feedback at Trip Advisor , we are very glad that you enjoyed your stay with us hoping to see you again in the near future.
Leicestershire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2014

After staying in Egypt before at different hotels found this one to be our worst.Substandard Rooms, needed re doing. Main pool dangerous. Grandson cut his foot in the main pool got no apology or asked how he was. Another child also cut his toe and a man cut his toe. Tiles loose in pool.
Staff ok if you tipped them first however we tip after receiving good service not to get good service.

Entertainment team were great however, and made the stay more enjoyable the kids loved the kids club. The beach activity staff were helpful and friendly.

Will not be going back to that hotel unless it has a complete re-vamp and upgrade.

Mohammed and Islam in the restaurant were great.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Sanaa W, Manager at Aurora Oriental Resort Sharm El Sheikh, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Please accept our apology for what happened to your grandson, a quick maintenance has been taken place at this area of swimming pool and everything was settled.
I remember that you have been met by our Director of Rooms and the Rep. of Travel Agency and they offered you an apology and a complimentary visit to the doctor as you are our guest and you have to be satisfied by our service.
At the end, pls accept our sincere regards and we are looking forward to see you again in the future promising that you will find more upgrading.
South East England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Stayed at the Oriental resort in Nabq with my partner and our families from the 5th to the 15th July 2014. The hotel was very well maintained. I would like to take this opportunity to thank the staff at the Oriental Resort. They were extremely courteous, friendly and eager to please whilst being very professional. The grounds were beautifully laid out and we were not constantly pestered by people trying to sell us trips etc.

A special thankyou to Kanye West , the only Scottish speaking Egyptian guy that I have ever met. Charming fella and an absolute credit to the 'Time' team. He arranged the dolphin excursion for my partner and her girls and didnt disappoint.

We will definitely go back in the not too distant future. The only downside was that the buffet style dining was abused by People piling their plates and then wasting them. Unfortunately there seemed to be insufficient people to clear the tables.

That aside, I couldnt fault it... guaranteed sunshine, relaxing surroundings and all inclusive food and drink. Fantastic holiday as my partner has alluded to.

1 Thank Geoff S
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the recognition of our staff efficiency and friendliness , your compliments will be definitely shared with our team.
Looking forward to welcome you again soon.
Lyndhurst, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Stayed at rhe oriental in nabq bay for 10 nights from the 5th july 2014 til the 15th for my 50th birthday with my family and what a great place we found sharm itself I love and the hotel didnt disappoint either very spacious and well kept we have decided we will be returning at some point as it is a place I will be excited to visit again soon . Food was not 5 star but im very fussy and all the foreigners seemed to enjoy it as they had loads of it stacked on a plate just greed reaally the bolognese was gorgeous which I lived on . Just found notnenough staff to clear tables and table clothes not changed regular enough .all in all great hotel fantastic holiday

2 Thank gdoyle64
Sanaa W, Manager at Aurora Oriental Resort Sharm El Sheikh, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for your review and we are looking forward to see you again.
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2014

well my husband and i went to the Oriental after been it was reccomended , we were a little dissapointed with food after the first week it went down hill , cold and really not good poor in fact .tThe hotel its self is lovely especialy the reception and bar area first class , We changed rooms after 2 days as the niose from the large pool was deafening if u like a qiuet room ask wen you book , it wasnt a problem Sherif on reception was a great guy gave us 3 rooms to choose from it was a good move . we think the hotel is starting to be revamped it maybe needs it tobe honest ,WOULD I RETURN /? o yes its , personal choice alot of the time but on the whole we cannot praise the waiters bar staff and pool guys enough they were all gems ,,,,,,,, a big down side is the RUSSIANS omg never met such rude people , stole our sun brolly took my toast and pushed in the ques at every oppertunity ,, manners they have none ..............nothing is too much trouble here , by the way THE MEDITERANIAN RESTAURANT IS GORGIUOS , worth a visit you book but it is free in the all inclusive ,,,, hoping togo agian in OCT hope the food has improved

Room Tip: ask for a quiet one in the new block
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rachel14165
Sanaa W, Manager at Aurora Oriental Resort Sharm El Sheikh, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Dear Mrs. Rachel,

On behalf of the Management, I would like to thank you for your feedback and I would like to apologize for some Russians attitude as you know the hotel is multinational and always contains mixed cultures which is very positive in some way or another but sometimes it is not due to some people behavior. We are looking forward to see you again in October.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nabq Bay
Amwaj Oyoun Hotel & Resort
Baron Resort Sharm El Sheikh
Baron Resort Sharm El Sheikh
#6 of 230 in Sharm El Sheikh

Been to Aurora Oriental Resort Sharm El Sheikh? Share your experiences!