“No way a five star hotel”

Radisson Blu Resort, Sharm El Sheikh
Ranked #9 of 32 Hotels in Nabq Bay
Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom
“No way a five star hotel”
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We opted for the Radisson as an international brand which we expected to come up to its reputation elsewhere - how wrong we were - I would be kind to rate this as a 3-star with the exception of the grounds.

Having read the previous reviews I wonder if I was in the same place!! The only thing I agree with is the helpfulness of the staff and the lovely gardens. Particular thanks to Alaa the towel guy at the main pool - couldn't do enough to help, Ahmed Ibrahim in the restaurant who was always attentive and helpful and Khaled at the pool bar.

Now for the reality:

Disgusting - ranged from barely edible to absolutely dire - and never much hotter than room temperature. Little variety on "hot" food which was so bad we survived mostly on cold chips and bread (which was actually quite good).

Drinks

I accept that on an all inclusive deal that local spirits are provided. However, whilst I do not expect the same quality as branded drinks, I expect the strength to be somewhere close to the norm. Spirits (Which were dispensed from plain bottles with Radisson sticky labels on them) were so watered down (in particular the white spirits) that I suspect that the beer had a higher alcohol content. Even the orange juice seemed to be watered down. This is a cynical way to treat guests.

Service was generally OK although definitely not up to 5-star standard (Example - cup of tea served with no saucer, teabag stuffed in the cup and no spoon!!). However, the staff were all helpful and a couple of issues we had were dealt with.

I did mention the food quality and watered down drinks to the Manager but got no real response.

Room

A lovely big room but oh so tired. Comfortable beds with the exception of the over-worn sheets which were bobbled to the point of discomfort. Some mould in the shower, broken and missing grout and sealant. Could have been so much nicer with a little effort, but was OK for our needs. On the plus side sheets and towels were replaced regularly, if not daily and the room was well cleaned each day.

Facilities.

There was nowhere at all to escape the hoards of badly behaved children and the large number of screaming babies many of whom could not have been over 6 months old. The kids ran riot throughout the hotel at all hours and well past midnight. There was no escape other than outside of the hotel. One huge recommendation I would have is to have at least some areas which are adults only. Give us non-parents some respite. I think that I am not unusual in thinking that changing a babies nappy at the table in a restaurant is somewhat unacceptable? It happened!!

Guests

Mostly Russians and Poles. I do not like to generalise normally but we found most of them rude to the extreme and with no control over their children. Not the hotels problem.

Overall

A huge disappointment as we chose what was supposed to be a 5-star hotel under the guise of a major international chain which did not come up to expectations or previous experiences we have had from that brand. The rating needs to be reviewed. We will not be returning.

Room Tip: Choose another Hotel
3 Thank Philip K
Anwar_Hawary, Rooms Division Manager at Radisson Blu Resort, Sharm El Sheikh, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Dear Philip K,
Thank you for your candid review. All I can say is 'WOW'. This is certainly not the hotel that I work in everyday, nor the service that we are well known to deliver to our guests on an extremely consistent basis. I am ashamed that you had such terrible stay with us. What a great pity that we did not meet before your departure, as I am absolutely certain that any issues or concerns could have been rectified on day 1.

In the meantime, we continue to strive for and work on delivering the high level of service, attitude and product offering expected of a Radisson Blu resort.

We sincerely hope that you will consider staying at Radisson Blu Resort again in the future.

Yours sincerely,

Anwar Hawary, Rooms Division Manager.
anwar.hawary@radissonblu.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (469)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Novosibirsk, Russia
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Stayed at this hotel since May 16 till May 27 with my wife and 4-years-old child. First impression was just awesome! Check-in fast and smooth; after checking in the guests are taken to their room in an electric car. Huge territory fantastically designed and decorated, complete with all kinds of wooden and stone bridges, streams and waterfalls, “spider-net” of walking lanes among blooming trees and flowers. The room very comfortable; a big bathroom fully equipped, with a bath and separate shower; a sliding glass door opens into an open-air terrace with a tea table and chairs. The room number was 5102 - which means right in the middle between the reception / main restaurant on one end and the beach on the other; very convenient.
There were problems with hot water in our bathroom twice during our stay, but they were both times fixed immediately. Also, we once experienced an invasion of the ants' tribe onto our room; but, in my view, such incidents only add to local exotic.
The room cleaning was the worst we have ever experienced. However it was not due to the low standards of the hotel, it was just the particular staff member. At the day before our departure, he was due to some reason replaced by another person; then we saw what the ideal cleaning means! Such a pity this other cleaner was not assigned to our room from the very beginning!
As for food, we prefer booking HB, because we like exploring each new place and trying‏ local food in widest variety possible. However after the very first attempt to find a decent place to dine close to Radisson, we upgraded to AI. There are simply no local cuisine restaurants in Nabq – everything is “international” – and the nearest restaurant to Radisson is 10 minutes walk from the hotel. We decided that walking 10 minutes during daytime, under the burning Egyptian sun, only to find a very limited choice and unreasonable prices, is too much. Our impression is, Nabq is an AI destination; and I have come across the same opinion about Sharm El Sheikh in general.
Have to say, the restaurant in Radisson Blu was also a bit of a disappointment. You definitely won’t be left hungry there, however the choice is rather limited. Of that limited choice, most dishes stay the same from day to day, some change from one day to another; after three or four days you won’t find nothing but what you have already tried. The quality of cooking also leaves a little to be desired. Our solution was to travel to Soho Square twice, where we had most remarkable dinners in Akuna Matata.
Now about something that will remain in my memory for long, and that actually made our Egypt vacation. Due to a certain medical condition, we can’t bath our kid in cold water. And it happened so that during the first three or four days of our stay the very strong wind was blowing permanently, and the water in the sea and hotel pools was rather cold. To make the situation worse, on May 1 Radisson stops heating the children’s pools – most hotels stop heating even earlier - which I did not know before coming. The whole idea of our vacation was to have our little one swim and have fun in the sea and pools! So I asked the guys at the reception for help on that matter. Skipping all the details, the reaction from the stuff and management exceeded all our expectations! We actually anticipated some kind of a polite formality like “…you know, it does not depend on us… too bad… can’t do nothing about it… so sorry.” What they did was amazing: they arranged it so that their sister hotel, Park Inn by Radisson, situated right across the road from Radisson Blu, would heat their Jacuzzi for us! So during this windy period, each morning our child started his day in his private warm pool in Park Inn. Thank you guys, I guess you can imagine what does a happy child mean to his parents!
P.S. Special mention goes to the wonderful guy working at the fruit & ice-cream bar in the middle of the beach. Shame on me, I do not remember his name. The nicest and friendliest person ever! Meeting him at the beach, each day, having our fruit plate ready for us, was a real pleasure in itself!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Lev M
Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

Good hotel and brilliant stuff ... Pools are great ... I dislike the food the resturant always hot ... Beach snacks bar is good ... Animation team is amazing .. They made my vacation specially hadeer ..She is so active and funny ... i'd recommend this hotel

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Cairo, Egypt
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I really enjoyed my vacation in radison, the animation team was so much fun and helpful too. hisham, fire, romka and hadeer. The food was ok but not very good. Over all its a really nice place for a get away and I might go back again in August.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Moe S
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2014

My wife and I went for a relaxing week and achieved that with ease. We have stayed many times in Nabq Bay and this was by far the best hotel we have stayed in. The hotel was spotless and the staff could not have been more pleasant and helpful. The food was good and there was plenty to do for people who wanted to do more than we did. As far as safety is concerned you could go to any high street on any night in the UK and feel more threatened. Looking forward to our next visit. Tony & Collette

Review collected in partnership with Radisson Blu Hotels

Ulverston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2014

We were welcomed back to the Radisson Blu Hotel with open arms and were made to feel more like family, than guests, at this super hotel. The reception staff remembered us from our last visit and were very helpful once again. It is impossible to name all the staff who were all so very kind, helpful and always happy! Mr. Hafez, Hussin, A. Aziz and Mohammed looked after our every need in the dining room and Mahmood, once again, was very helpful to us on the beach. Other names to mention Ahmed, Fahd and the excellent pool bar staff. Another unforgettable trip to Egypt - hope it won't be too long before we visit again. Thank you all.

Room Tip: Request a pool view, on the second floor.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Anne W
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Holiday 03/05/2014-12/05/2014
It was our 2nd holiday in 8 Months time in this hotel, first time we went in beginning of October 2013 and now it was our 2nd time. I loved this place by first time that's why we returned to the same hotel, and I can easy tell it was even better than last time! fantastic place, fantastic people and fantastic weather of course. Food was better than last time, much more meat choices for lunch and dinner, lamb, chicken, beef, fish every day in a different way of taste, much more salads and fruits. If you like full English breakfast you can have it, if you like omlets, boiled eggs, fried eggs, pastas you will deffinetly find something for yourself, you must try Egyptian Bread ! We loved the taste (usually it was at dinner time) the BBQ was lovely, chicken and lamb from BBQ were fantastic. Fresh veg everyday, soups, fries, potatoes, bakes, well done Radisson, late breakfast available at main Pool also.Big thank you to a waiter Gamal!!! very nice guy, very helpful, very fast with service and he is giving good advices if you ask for any help, he went with as to Alf Leyla Wa Leyla -One Thousand and One Nights , very lovely place, you must just go there!!!! Oh it was a great time there(check on youtube) If you need taxi ask Gamal, he will help you to get one.
If you like Italian food -- OOOHHHH you can go to Il Grotto and eat fantastic Italian Pizza made by Italian Chef Mr Abouzikry, I always wanted to eat good Italian pizza and I coundn't find good restaurant in England-bad luck, but finally I eat it there! Spaghetti was fantastic, we choose capricciosa pizza and it was jus heaven in our mouth, thank you very much Abouzikry and fantastic waiter Ramadan, he was very kind and was well looking after us and made sure that we were happy, great service, can't wait to visit this place again.
Room was great with a nice sea view , nice big room and big comfy bed, we became nice service there, it was nice to get water melon at midnight or glasses with fresh made orange juice. I called this place a Fllinstons style hotel - in a good way off course, garden is lovely with some bridges and walking places and stones. Gym is available for everyone and Jacuzzi also. Beach is big and very clean. Plenty off sunbeds, fruit bar also is there and snack bar, beach bar opens at 9am, when we were there we've been served by beach barman Valid, he was making really good drinks if you ask him for something special, but sometimes he was very moody and wasn't even talking to you so we just ignored him and asked other barman to get some drinks. Water was very clean and warm, fishes were swimming between your legs, oh it was lovely. If you like swimming and snoorking you will be able to see the under water world and Lifeguard Ibrahim will definitely look after your safety and give you advise how to be safe on water, if you can't swim DON'T WORRY Ibrahim will give you a life jacket or will go even with you to help you in the first minutes in the big water :) He likes bodybuilders so he could talk with my boyfriend for ages about bodybuilders ( hey Ibrahim you are only a bit smaller then Greg hahaha, see you next year so keep pumping ).
We also met the main Boss of Radisson BLU, very nice guy, he is listening to people what they want and he is also making some changes in the Resort to make happy as many people as possible. We missed this time the beach boy Mahmoud :( he was working at swimming pools this time, but in October he was very helpful at beach and he was taking towels with you and was putting them on beds for you. Really miss this place, can't wait till next year to get back there. We had a nice welcome back this time, most of people remembered us from our last visit, which was very nice. This is my review and I will definitely go back there next year.

1 Thank EJ K
Anwar_Hawary, Rooms Division Manager at Radisson Blu Resort, Sharm El Sheikh, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Dear EJ K,
We would like to thank you very much for your great feedback about your recent stay at our Radisson Blu Resort.
We read with very much delight, that our team were able to make your 2nd stay another splendid holiday with us we are very happy, that we could make your stay at our resort to a fantastic holiday experience with our high standard of services and the highlighted little touches, which make the difference. As you have mentioned that the food has been improved and it became better than your previous visit on October2013 which means that we are on the right way to reach our guests expectations.
Thank you also for your praising words to our staff by name especially Mahmoud,Ibrahim Ramadan and Abozekri .
we are looking forward to welcome you hopefully very soon again at our resort for another fabulous time.

warmest regards from the Radisson Blu

Baron Resort Sharm El Sheikh
#5 of 234 in Sharm El Sheikh
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,914 reviews
Park Inn by Radisson Sharm El Sheikh Resort

Been to Radisson Blu Resort, Sharm El Sheikh? Share your experiences!