“Brilliant holiday”

Ranked #21 of 32 Hotels in Nabq Bay
maidstone
“Brilliant holiday”
Reviewed 11 August 2010

We have just returned from a family holiday at the Laguna vista beach resort hotel in Sharm El Sheikh.
I was sceptical about the hotel due to some negative reviews however that was soon put to bed. The hotel is fabulous, and the staff are very nice indeed.

Illness
We were there for 8 days and did not get ill at all, other than the odd bout of what I would describe as a very mild upset stomach that lasted a day at most and did not affect the holiday at all.( children were fine) I can say with confidence this had nothing to do with anything other than the heat, alcohol and change of routine.

Accommodation
We stayed in a bungalow / chalet which was very spacious and had an upstairs bedroom for the boys. It was very clean although the bathroom was showing its age. The bath was badly chipped at one end where the shower head had been dropped into it by guests.
The rooms are all air-conditioned and this was a godsend as it was about 43c at day and 35c at night. In fact this was one of the best hotel rooms I have ever stayed in on this type of holiday

Bars
The hotel has a number of bars either by the pools or reception. The main downside is that none have air-conditioning (nor does reception) so it was not very pleasant sitting out at night. I recommend going across the road to the Laguna Vista Gardens hotel where you will be welcomed and the reception has air con and a bar next to it has ceiling fans. It was far more pleasant. Drinks and food free if all inclusive as its the sister hotel.

Eating
The main restaurant is air conditioned and we found it no problem getting a table, however the hotel was far from full. The amount of food is amazing and they even do themed nights. We enjoyed the food and even my fussy boys ate well. It is not English food and I feel they do a fine job of catering for all tastes. If you want fish and chips I suggest going to Blackpool rather than Egypt. I ate salads and cold meats occasionally and never became ill. It is all UV treated as is the ice.. Breakfast was fab with a chef on hand to cook fresh omelettes or fried eggs and fresh mini pancakes. Cerials, fruit youghurt, bread ( I have never seen so many varienties) and cakes. Plus many other ccoked dishes such as french toast, scrambled eggs, grilled tomatoes,etc. There is another restaurant for lunch as well as the main one called the Which Way. They did chips..... There are also two pay restaurants an Italian and a seafood. We did not try them. The top pool bar also does burger and chips before 1.30pm.

Facilities
Small but adequate gym, beauty centre, numerous swimming pools. On that note although the hotel boasts 14 pools three are the main ones. The Russian and Italians tend to stay at the 2 large pools near the hotel reception and the English use the lower pool nearer the Which Way restaurant. A number of bars, kids club, and night club. The kids club had no kids in it and the play area was in full sun. The night club is on the beach and I cannot understand why they think anyone would be dancing about in 35c heat. Well they weren't as it was always devoid of custom. The only night anyone went was for the foam party on Wednesdays, where a 20 euro ticket gets you free drinks all night, and a fire / lying on a bed of nails show on Fridays for about an hour. Then everyone left.

Entertainment
NONE.
A pianist every night in reception and the Italians putting on some sort of show in the evening at a small amphitheatre in the hotel grounds. I went to one ( I lasted 5 minutes). Other that it being unbearably hot I think something was lost in translation. The shows tend to be childish slapstick. Not entertainment in my book.

General impressions
This is a fantastic hotel and it will not disappoint. It is well maintained and very clean. The service was excellent and the staff very helpful. The main downside was the lack of entertainment and non air-conditioned bars, Oh and the very very rude Italians and Russians who treat the staff and everyone else with contempt. The Germans were positively very nice indeed..

Would I come back
Yes. The hotel and service was fantastic, the pools safe ( lifeguards on duty) pleasent staff etc. Next time i will just go across the road for the cooler bar.

Tips.
Take US one dollar bills. Works out cheaper than tipping £1 coins and better for us and them. The airport duty free is in US dollars as well. Tip as you go along not at the end. One or two dollars were left by us on the fridge before the room was made up. I think it made a difference. Kids teddy bears laid out every day on the bed and fridge stocked with water. Get to the pool early on your first day and speak to the pool guy who will reserve your beds for you for the rest of the holiday. Take the water bottles from the restaurant when on the table as they are now yours and you can put them in your room fridge if you have not drunk them. Also order 2 of whatever drink you want with meals as you may not see someone for ages if it gets busy.
Go the Laguna garden resort across the road for the cooler bar area. By the way the garden resort is very nice too but much much smaller. More English there but still no entertainment. You can stay in one hotel and use the other if you prefer.

All in all a great resort.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
LAGUNAVISTATEAMEgy, Manager at Laguna Vista Beach Resort, responded to this review, 19 August 2010
Dear Guest
Firstly we would like to say thank you for taking the time to write your positive comments.
We are pleased that you chose our hotel for your family holiday and you were satisfied.
Although we are sorry to hear you feel there is not much entertainment. As we do have soft entertainment in the lobby bar every night with the pianist and there are different themed shows conducted by the animation team.
The Laguna Vista team wish to welcome you back for your next family vacation.
Hotel Management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2010

I have just returned back the uk after my 8th visit to this hotel.... that in its self should say enough. I will be going back, hopefully towards the end of the year. I would never dream of going to any other hotel than Lagunavista beach or gardens.

Food.... I would never believe anyone if they said that they could not find anything they liked to eat in the hotel, the choice of resturants and food are very good. This trip I noticed that every evening they had food from different countries, one night it would be British, another would be Tex Mex, another Italian.

Rooms.... very very clean, towels changed every day.

Pools/ sunbeds..... I have never had a problem getting a sunbed, I admit, I do like to get up early and catch the morning sun before it gets too hot. However, I did notice that people turning up at say 11am were still able to get a sunbed. We stayed around the big pool, we did have staff approaching us to ask if we wanted to get involved in activities, if we did not want to take part they would not bother you trying to push you to join in.
The pool bar staff would see people swimming towards the bar, and your drink would be waiting for you.
Animation... They were mostly Italians and tended to base the entertainment around the Italians, however they did try and include all guest and invite them to join in with the activities which involved Waterpolo and football.

Trips.... Having been to Sharm as many times, I now tend to just chill and not bother with the trips. However, I would never miss the chance to go on the Quads. Amir and Ben from Swan Tours are great, we arranged our Quads with them and they were spot on.
Staff... all staff including Management are fantastic, they work hard to ensure that you have a fantastic holiday, they take time to talk to you and check that everything is ok.

My parents took my recommendation to holiday at this Hotel, as did a few of my friends and they loved it, so much so that my mam is wanting to go back with me towards the end of the year.

Outside of the hotel.... lots to do and to see, this hotel is in the heart of Nabq, lots of shops. KFC, Starbucks, TGI Friday, Burger King Cafes, outside entertainment. You can just take a seat and watch the world go by. We found a good pub "the three crowns" about 10 minute walk away, this was very busy and staff there were very nice.

Sharm is a place that you will love or you will hate it. This hotel .... you will love!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
LAGUNAVISTATEAMEgy, Manager at Laguna Vista Beach Resort, responded to this review, 9 August 2010
Dear Guest
Firstly we would like to say a huge thank you for taking the time to write your positive comments.
It is fantastic to see that you have been spending many holidays with us at Laguna Vista, we are very pleased that we you have an enjoyable stay with us each time you stay at Laguna Vista and that you are satisfied with everything.
We look forward to seeing you again.
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2010

We did not stay in the Laguna Vista Resort, but stayed in hotel 10 min walk down the beach from here. We came across Pataya by accident, strolling down the beach. The music and set up is amazing and why it's not busy we just couldn't fathom out! The staff were so polite and helpful, but also very friendly. We were offered the use of all facilities including beach towls and beds. Evenings were spent listening to some quality music, not the normal DJ- local stuff! The bar is located on a walkway along the beach so very accessible and also fro the main street in Nabq Bay. We could not possibly comment on the hotel as we did not stay there, from what we had the food was quality likewise with service. - The Boss and Co.

Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank hess160-2010
LAGUNAVISTATEAMEgy, Manager at Laguna Vista Beach Resort, responded to this review, 6 August 2010
Dear Guest
Thank you for writing your positive comments.
We are very pleased to see that you enjoyed Pataya both as a restuarant and bar.
The Laguna Vista Team hope that next time we welcome you back as a guest at our hotel.
Somerset
Reviewed 4 August 2010

Ok Let me explain why this is such a great holiday , we went as a family with 3 adults from 63 to 36 me 40 and 3 teenage kids 13 16 and 17 and had such a fantastic time .
Hotel
Hotel is great very clean and a massive reception, if not a bit on the warm side when you try to sit inside .Lots of room to sit out on the terrace with comfortable seating.
Rooms
Our rooms where the duplex apartments which had twin beds downstairs and a double sofa bed upstairs very clean and with air con an added bonus as it gets very hot .Beds where comfortable and the cleaner cleaned and made beds everyday leaving very pretty towel sculptures from flowers to snakes. Only problem was maybe the bed upstairs could have been proper beds and take your own hangers as there where none.
Restaurants
There are 2 included in the all inclusive package the main restaurant just off the lobby and the one close to the beach.
The main restaurant is fully air conditioned and serves great food for breakfast lunch and dinner just remember in the evenings the main food is outside on the patio it took us a few days to realise. The smaller restaurant does the same great food lunch and dinner and you get chips there to and its closer to the beach and the small pool so ideal during the day and great to cool down in.
Pools
3 swimming pools which are all great to swim and play in at the top pools you get a pool bar in the middle although services is a bit random and getting a sun bed with shade is a bit hit and miss we went there on our first full day and ended up sharing 2 sun beds in full sun which makes it a bit hot. The walls to the pool are quite rough so watch yourselves as you splash about. Great waterfalls and kids sprinklers on the main pools and the kiddies pools. The best pool by far though is the small pool closest to the beach never over crowded and it has its own bar with great services never had a problem getting a big sun bed and a couple of chairs .
Bars
Ok this is the down side of your all inclusive trip although there are 5 bars in the hotel only the pool bars and the lobby bar are all inclusive and the main pool bar is closed at 6 and small pool bar at 10 which only leaves the lobby bar that gets a bit crowded and when everyone wants a drink there is no sitting room on the patio and as I have said its to warm to sit inside. The cave bar and Papya bar you have to pay for your drinks.
Entertainment
Forget it make your own unless you understand Italian / Russian the amphitheatre has no bar and it will take you 15 mins to get up to the main bar and back to sit on uncomfortable seating and then have to work out what is going on . You will know the entertainment team there the ones walking around in Italia shirts thinking you are Russian or polish.
Our Holiday
Ok we went with no expectations and had an amazing time once we found our feet and got to know what it was all about.
We discovered the small pool and found most people there where English and the pool man El-Sayed was fantastic he become my brother from another mother and made our stay at the pool great making sure our sun bed was ready for us in the morning and always making sure we had clean towels . There is also a bar there where you can also get milky Nescafe coffee served by Hussan the coolest barman in Sharm it was a great pleasure to meet him and El-Sayed . We used to leave the pool around 6 and get back to our room shower and eat then back to the pool bar where the beer would be waiting for us as we arrived . If you are looking for a day out search out Ben from Swan Tours a great lad and as I have already said lots of English around the small pool and Ben arranged a private boat for us all and an 8 hr trip to Ras-Mohamed for less than anyone else.
Would we go back oh yes already pricing up a week for my birthday in November and would look at it for next year to as we had a great time.
Simple things to remember manners and politeness cost nothing please and thank you and a smile goes a long way all the staff are great and the chef’s will cook anything you want.
Food was great with a huge choice just remember if you don’t eat it at home don’t eat it when you are away .
Remember to that a small tip goes a long way or just wait till you leave some staff accept it others will try to give it back but those that give it back are the ones you really want to accept it …..

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank AdamandTracey
timoEgy, Manager at Laguna Vista Beach Resort, responded to this review, 5 August 2010
Dear Guest
We would like to thank you for taking the time to write your comments. We appreciate all of your comments and we take them in a positive way to help improve the service and facilties for the furture.
We are very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and we are happy you chose our hotel to spend your vacation.
The Laguna vista team would like to welcome you back for your next vacation.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 3 August 2010

Laguna vista is a lovely place to go and enjoy yrself and to relax, staff and service is very good they go out of there way to help u, and there is a variety of food u can always select from, entertainment is great, therte are shows, bars and a very good animation team that dose activities during the day, in laguna vista there are differant restuarants u can go to, its llovely, please don't believe everything that u read, u have to try it

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank nicely76
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 August 2010

My partner and i stayed at the resort for 2 weeks, and in the 2 weeks we had the most amazing holiday!The hotel is split into 2 parts, "Beach & Gardnes" we stayed at the beach.
Weather was very hot, however had a lovely breeze.
Food was great, and such a wide range to chose from.
Staff are very polite and couldnt be more helpful.
The only complaint i have regarding this hotel is the animation team, unfortunately unless you are Italian or Russian you wont really be included in the daily timed entertainment.
If you are interested in a nice relaxed holiday i definately recommend the hotel. We will definately be going back!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ilovesummer2010
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write your comments.
We appreciate all of your feedback, we are sorry to hear you feel the entertainment is aimed at other nationalities, please be reassured that all your comments are used in a positive way to help improve our service and facilities for the future.
We look forward to seeing you again in the future.
falkirk
Reviewed 1 August 2010

when reading the reviews we were sceptical, however they were spot on! This hotel should not be rated as a 5 star as it is far from it. The staff are abrupt and rude with the exception of Soloman in the main restuarant and Mohamed & Alaa in the lobby bar ....u were made to feel like u were begging for soft drinks and water at the pool bar......guy there was full of attitude always looking for money....hey hey...we should have read between the lines by the comments but we gave it a chance and learned the hard way......we can normally put up with anything and dont tend to moan...however we were all ill and we have stomaches made from cast iron......we spent our money on tips, going the the chemist and heading to the local shop to get water and juice as you could only get bottled water at breakfast, lunch or dinner.
The food looked great and there was lots of it. It was a set menu each week which was fine and full of choice, the lobby bar was open till 12pm after that you had to pay for your drinks, if you wanted bottled soft juice it cost £5 ( that was for a small bottle )
rooms were cleaned every day and to a good standard,if you leave a small tip he will fill your fridge with water daily and leave a towel design on your bed. You could get what you wanted from this hotel but you will have to pay for it in tips. we have been to many all inclusive hotels but this one is by far the worst!!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank lisaangell
LAGUNAVISTATEAMEgy, Manager at Laguna Vista Beach Resort, responded to this review, 8 August 2010
Dear Guest
Thank you for writing your comments, please be assured that all of your comments are taken in a positive manor to improve our service and facilities for the future.
We are sorry to hear you were unwell during your stay, this is normal for the adaptation period of being in a foreign country.
Secondly due to the contracts we have with the tour operators the all inclusive stops at midnight. Although bottled water is only available during the breakfast, lunch and dinner times there are water dispensers located throughout the hotel where you can get water all day.
We hope to welcome you back in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nabq Bay
Laguna Vista Garden Resort
Club Magic Life Sharm el Sheikh Imperial
Club Magic Life Sharm el Sheikh ...
#18 of 234 in Sharm El Sheikh
Cleopatra Luxury Resort Sharm El Sheikh
Nubian Island Hotel
Nubian Island Hotel
#50 of 234 in Sharm El Sheikh
Sea Club Resort - Sharm el Sheikh
Radisson Blu Resort, Sharm El Sheikh

Been to Laguna Vista Beach Resort? Share your experiences!