Spent 2 weeks here with my husband and 2 boys (11 & 9).
The accommodation was spacious - we had a 2 bedroom 2 bathroom apartment near the reception/active pool. The balcony overlooked the building site next door, but that was the only thing to complain about.
The food was good - lots of choice, although we found the desserts to be a bit bland.
The swimming pools were fantastic. We tended to stay round the quieter relaxation pool, but from there, the boys could either go to the aqua park, heated pool or the children's pool (near the active pool). The aqua park was a real hit - the children loved the slides, and we all enjoyed the family tyre ride.
The beach wasn't the nicest sand - quite gritty, but the jetty was fantastic to paddle off halfway along, or to snorkel from the end - which we all did! The coral reef is beautiful with a huge variety of fish.
The dive company at the hotel (Egyptian divers) took my husband for a dive (He's PADI qualified) down to 18m to the shipwreck at the bottom of the reef, which he really enjoyed. They also took my son out twice for a try dive - down to 5 m. Both dives were well run and professional, however when we asked for a certificate for my son so he could get his scout badge, they were very unco-operative - they left him sitting for an hour and a half without dealing with him.
The staff were all friendly and the bar staff were very good at delivering drinks to the sunbeds - well worth a small tip.
Internet usage was very expensive - 3 Euros for 15 mins. In the shops outside, it was only E£20 for an hour - much more reasonable!
We did have trouble getting people out to the room when we needed the safe open or air conditioning fixed. One night, when we returned to the room, the children's air conditioning had stopped working. We rang at 10.20pm to ask for it to be fixed quickly. At 11.20 we cancelled the call as we were all going to bed. At midnight, the children were woken up by banging on the door to fix the problem! We weren't happy and complained to the manager the next morning, who was very apologetic, and couldn't do enough to fix the problem for us. My tip is to ask for a timescale then hassle if they haven't come in that time!
The location of the hotel is right at the end of Nabq. For us, that wasn't a problem, as we like it quiet. We felt sorry for the local shops, who obviously struggle to keep their businesses going so please support them
Excursions - we flew to Cairo to see the pyramids - very expensive, but well worth it.
We did the camel ride, Bedouin meal and stargazing which was definately the children's favourite. Ours got to ride their own camel, but many children had to share with their parents - so be warned!
Husband climbed Mt Sinai to see sunrise, which he loved, but it was really hard going (glad I didn't!)
Caught a taxi from front gate to Old Sharm - E£160 return for the four of us - well worth it for the peace of mind that we were going to be picked up. Driver was lovely - very friendly. Old Sharm was a lovely experience - very Egyptian market style shops.
I picked up an upset tummy - tried to cure with English drugs - don't bother! Pick up from the local pharmacies - much more effective!
The entertainment could do with a revamp. We were very disappointed by a Queen night, which was merely staff dressed up miming to Queen songs - need to take tips from Butlins redcoats!
A lovely holiday and I would definitely consider returning here.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Opened in 2004, the 5* resort has a dream location on the golden sandy beach on the new hotel zone of Nabq Bay, facing coral reefs in the crystal clear waters of the Red Sea, and the shipwrecks of the nearby Straits of Tiran. The main building and the attached two-storey building are surrounded by resplendent gardens extending down to the beach. This elegant all inclusive resort is only 12 km from Sharm El Sheikh Airport, and 20 km from the famous Naama-Bay.Whether you're celebrating an anniversary or honeymoon, planning a family vacation in Sharm El Sheikh or just wanting to get away from it all, Royal Albatros Moderna is the perfect place for all ages and interests. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Southall Travel, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Hotels.com, Expedia, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Royal Albatros Moderna Sharm el-Sheikh reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Royal Albatros Moderna Hotel Nabq Bay
- Calimera Royal Moderna
- Calimera Moderna Beach
- Royal Albatros Moderna Sharm El-Sheikh Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt - Nabq Bay