“Family of 5 holiday”

Royal Albatros Moderna Sharm el-Sheikh
Ranked #15 of 33 Hotels in Nabq Bay
Reviewed 24 February 2012

We holidayed here in the half term, so Feb 10th - 17th 2012, there were 5 of us in total. Myself, Partner, 11yr old boy, 6yr old girl and 1yr old.
This is our 3rd visit to Sharm, and our 1st to RAM. Have to say, not our best experience of Egypt - largely due to problems with the hotel in the beginning which started the holiday off on the wrong foot.
We arrived just before midnight, with the kids, having booked a family apartment - 2 rooms adjoining, not interconnecting. Upon arrival, we were told there was a problem with the room and they would put us up in a family room (all of us in one room). We were promised our family room would be ready by 10am on the Saturday. The temporary room was a treck away from the main reception, down lots of little flights of stairs which was not good with the buggy. They didn't even give us a cot for the baby, which was requested. As you can imagine, after a long journey, this did not put me in the best mood! At 10am on Saturday my partner returned to reception to chase up our room. Whilst he was waiting, he overheard someone else having a similar discussion with reception, and them saying they were sorry - despite telling him to return at 10am they had overbooked the family apartments and that there were none available. When my partner followed up on our room, he was told the same thing, and offered interconnecting rooms, which are not suitable with young children. If we were travelling with teenagers we may have considered it. After much frustration, and having involved our YouTravel rep Sayed (who, btw was very good!), we were told we could have a family apartment and it would be ready by 2pm. We eventually got our room about 6pm so this wasted our first day of holiday as we were waiting round, couldn't unpack, and didn't know where we were going. We had to chase up the travel cot as we were told it wasn't on our booking, which it clearly was - in black and white. By way of compensation we were offered a fruit basket - well this was a joke in itself. We finally got this, 2 days before departing, and it was literally 8 pieces of fruit from the restaurant put onto a plate from the restaurant and covered in clingfilm. As our holiday progressed, I heard lots of different conversations with Management and customers having the same problem, and being told the same initialy lie.

The array of restaurants in this AI hotel is very good, we tended to go to the italian for breakfast as the kids liked the croissants. And it was normally where we ventured for lunch. Having been to Egypt a few times, we've experienced the effects of adventurous eating! So, especially with the kids we tried to keep it simple. The Italian does freshly made pizza's and pasta's. The Asian restaurant was a favourite for all of us for dinner. The Tandoori chicken, and the freshly made Naan Bread was lovely!!

The swimming pools are amazing, and probably the hotels' saving grace. The only shame is that they are all freeeeezing! One would think at least the children's pool would be heated, but no. The slides and climbing frames in the pool were a firm favourite with my daughter, whilst our 11yr old preferred the aqua park. I have to say, I really enjoyed myself there too - the slides were brilliant! The "heated pool" was only warm(ish) in the afternoon, which was a shame because this is when the weather started to chill off and get dark....

I must say, my biggest shock with this hotel was the staff. On the whole they were good, but I did come across, on more than one occasion, quite rude attitudes. More than once in the asian restaurant , we were left waiting for food whilst the staff were arguing with each other! There was only 1 time where someone actually came to our table and asked us if we would like drinks with our meal. For some reason the staff seem to have an issue dealing with the kids. The amount of times I saw the staff completely ignore kids waiting for ice creams at the coffee station by the pool. And it wasn't until parents started coming up that the staff would take notice. Also, in the columbus bar, I got annoyed on more than one occasion with the staff ignoring my son, or outright lying to him. On one occasion he asked for whipped cream on his hot chocolate. He was told there was none. 30 seconds later the guy stood next to him asked for the same thing and was served with no problems.... This annoyed me a lot! I wasn't the only person to have noted this, I spoke to a few families by the pool and they mentioned the same things. The other thing that was confusing and frustrating was that they seemed to have a lot of staff standing around where they weren't needed, and not enough in other places - like the bar! Evening entertainment tended to be in the beach bar from 9pm after the kids disco, and on the 1 evening we ventured down, there was 1 person behind the bar... I queued for just under 20 minutes for a drink. Needless to say, we didn't go back!

On the whole, good hotel, nice array of restaurants, but would have to seriously consider if we would go back to this particular hotel.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank DONNA S
Write a ReviewReviews (6,767)

Reviewed 24 February 2012

myself and my wife had 10 nights in the royal albatros from hell.The food was fit for pigs only ,this was catered for all other nations bar the brits.There is 5 restaurants all with the same ( FOOD).The beer was warm or extra hot.You could have a cold beer ,as i found out when i tipped the waiter some £ coins.It was this simple to get a good beer at the same bar that not 1 hour earlier said they didnt have cold beer or glasses at this bar.The waiter's wouldnt even look at you at (meal) times except when been tipped.If you wanted a drink you went and got them yourself unless the money was handed over.Pool was very cold..If you werent up at 6am you didnt get a good bed near the pool..I dont know what peak season will be like.You get hasselled all the time by sales men pool side /beach side. If any one has booked a transfer by coach please make sure you see the proper rep as we were asked our names by one rep...we were on his sheet..he said your coach is there;we went to get on the bus and he just drove off......1 hr later we got a taxi and just made the plane...IF you do go to sharm please watch out for gettin ripped off by taxi;s /busses..Internet in the hotel a rip off..dont use it....over all never again

2  Thank Willie824
m_ragab, General Manager at Royal Albatros Moderna Sharm el-Sheikh, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2012

Dear Willie

Thank you for your kind comments and invaluable critique of your recent stay with us. We value all of our guests and their comments and take on board all relevant items that can help us move forward the quality of our service delivery.

We are sorry that you felt our variety of food available during your recent stay was insufficient. To be fair, whilst recognizing and valuing your opinion, we were somewhat shocked and bemused to hear this. Food is available for our guests 24 hours each day from our many restaurants. If we try to count the items of food offered each day then the total is in the thousands. We offer food varieties originating in the cuisines of the home countries of pretty much all of our guests. We offer dozens of meat dishes, fish dishes, countless varieties of vegetables, pulses, vegetarian dishes, etc. We offer tempting kids meals and we meet the dietary needs of those requiring special eating regimes. Room service is constantly available as are snacks from all the pool and beach bars.
Whilst not wishing to be contentious, we cannot help but feel that if you will consider the situation of any hotel or restaurant you may have visited, the menu at any of them cannot be infinite but is to some degree restricted. However, were we to publish daily a menu of all the food items available in this hotel, we would be providing you with the biggest and heaviest menu you will have ever encountered. We remain exceptionally proud of our kitchens, our restaurants, the value for money we offer and the sheer variety of food provided to our valued guests.

Our hotel is a cosmopolitan hotel. As such we offer cuisine and entertainment to meet a quality international demand. At any time this year we may have had a diversity of guests from western and eastern Europe, the US, Asia or pretty much anywhere on earth. Egypt and the Red Sea have been popular for centuries with travellers from all over the world and we welcome them all. Generally, this is a matter of delight for our guests who overall also welcome the chance to mingle with new and old friends from around the world in this wonderful setting on the shores of the Red Sea. However, if on this occasion you felt unhappy in any way with such diversity, we can only express our regret.

Gratuities to staff in hotels and other service industries are common throughout the leisure industry and around the world. Indeed, in some US food chains the only income derived by staff is through tips. At our hotel there is no expectation whatsoever that our guests should offer tips to staff members. However, when tips are offered by guests to a member of our staff one must always assume that it is because the guest was delighted with the quality of service delivered.
We are always sorry if we have disappointed any guest in any way, but in fairness to the criticisms made by you, whilst valuing your input, we are sorry that any small item of displeasure was not made known to me or my management team at the time so we could appropriately investigate and put right any default.

I was sorry to hear that you felt pricing in Egypt this year has risen. Unfortunately, we are obliged to agree with you - but, thankfully, our price rises in 2011 were not in any disproportionate. Given the changes across the middle-east which of course affected Egypt, the troubles of the Euro and Dollar and the world-wide recession generally we know that a holiday with Royal Albatros Moderna represents real value for money.

We do have a heated pool (29 oC) next to our relaxation pool, plus the large children’s pool is also heated. Outside the few winter months in Egypt all our pools are a lovely temperature and are always filled with swimmers.

The Royal Albatros Moderna has been awarded 5-stars by the Egyptian Tourism Board and we are regularly critiqued by the board to keep our standards high. We have also recently won the hotels4u Best Seller award thanks to our huge numbers of repeat guest bookings - almost 40% - which is unheard in any International hotel.

We hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you to our hotel once again in the future and at which time I look forward to speaking with you and personally ensuring your next holiday will exceed all your expectations.

Area Operations Director
Pickalbatros Hotels
gm@royalalbatros.com.eg

Reviewed 24 February 2012

I agree with the previous review that check in could be better but it was pretty quick and the egyptians have their own way of doing things - generally unorganised !
The service in the hotel is fast and friendly, both in the food areas and bars. There is a choice of Italian, Tagine, German, Med and Sushi(payable), so plenty of food coice. As the hotel is big, they are all pretty busy but also plenty of seating.
If you want a quiet room - dont ask for a room by the main pool, its loud from the reps in the daytime and you will pick up noise from people walking to their rooms at night. The quiet pool is both much better in the day and probably at night, as its a smaller area.
There are some shops about 10 mins walk down the road and a lovely walk by the beach up past the other hotels in the area.
Its a clean hotel so I would certainly recommend it - one other tip, as with most egyptian hotels, there is a lot of Russians, mostly rude ones but you cant have everything in life !

Room Tip: closer to the beach or by the quiet pool for a more relaxed holiday
3  Thank martandvic
m_ragab, Manager at Royal Albatros Moderna Sharm el-Sheikh, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2012

Reviewed 24 February 2012

I spent a week on my own at this hotel in the begining half of January. This hotel is a very large complex and I found it to be very impersonal lacking that personal touch I have experience at other hotels. I would rate this hotel as a very good 3 star not the 4 star it is.

The hotel complex and the rooms are kept clean and tidy throughout. Although I thought the rooms were a little dated they were still comfortable and spacious. There was plenty of room to hang your clothes. There were tea and coffee making facilities in the room. The bathrooms were large with a shower over the bath and also a hairdrier.

There are four pools within the hotel. I would recommend the relaxation pool as you were imune to all the entertainment staff, spa staff floging manicures and massages and the hideous music piped out elswhere around the hotel.

The beach is good there is a bar serving drinks and snacks down there.

The hotel had many resturants cattering for most tastes, most were buffet servis. Tere is an al a carte resturant but this is sunject to a fee and I did not sample this while I was there. It was not always easy to find somewhere to sit as I was on my own. I would recommend the italian and oriental resturants.

The bar within the lobby looked very tired and dated, the drinks were ok but you need to get used to queueing to get served, it wasn't waiter service and again if your alone its not always easy to find a seat.

I wasn't overly impressed with Nabq as a resort, it consists of maily hotels, tacky shops and with the odd western eatery ie McDonalds etc. If you do venture out be prepared to be hastled by egyptian men trying to get you into their shops. Don't as you wil be required to by something before you can leave. Be polite but firm they do understand "NO" but "LA SHOCKRA" is egptian for no thankyou.

By far the worst thing about this hotel and any hotel in Eygpt (I've been to a few!) are the russian tourists! They are quite possibly the rudest people you could ever meet! And they don't understand the concept of queueing and they take all inclusive to new levels with the amount of food they pile on their plates which if they consumed it all would be alright however most of it went to waste.

Would I go back to this hotel? No I would go back to the Concorde el salam front in sharks bay this is a wounderful 4 star hotel with that personal touch.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
5  Thank noodle74
Reviewed 24 February 2012

Good points are the speedy check in and all round good facilities.
Bad points are the buffet-style restaurants. I am not a fan of this type of eating.
Everyone getting in each other's way and not always able to find seating. However,
the choice is varied and if you stick to the food that is cooked fresh by the chefs you can find a better standard of food. The restaurant staff are efficient and friendly even when there English is limited. The alcohol is not fit to drink, but the beer was lovely. Also, if you happen to have a shower at the same time as everyone else, there can be no hot water!!!!!!!
The down side to our holiday was the transfer company A2B. They did not turn up
to take us to the Airport and we had to get a taxi. When we returned home and took
the issue up with our travel provider, they in turn contacted A2B and were told that
they did turn up and we were not there, and refused to refund our taxi fare. Where else would we be? If I was a transfer company I would never leave a hotel knowing that I had passengers to collect. It is just not acceptable.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 24 February 2012

Fourth trip to Sharm but first at The Royal Albatross and would definitely return. Rooms are fine and the whole hotel very clean. A choice of 5 restaurants on the all inclusive option and food quality very good. drinks were a bit hit and miss-beer OK but vodka and gin a bit below par-still, you get used to it !!
Couldnt fault this place for the price paid and the staff are exceptional.
Great trip !

Reviewed 23 February 2012

It was our second time to stay at Albatros Moderna.
We spent 2 weeks there, it was more than nice.
We like snorkeling, and a long jetty with a coral reef on the end
is a real gem of this place.
For January the sea was warm, the sky was always sunny and this
year it was not too windy, we had only one day that we couldn't swim in the stormy sea.
Special thanks to Anees, who always kept watch and gave us a hand
when we needed. He knows everything about the sea, currents and fish
in that area. He is not only a lifeguard, but a real spirit of the sea.

The water is usually warmer in the evenings, don't forger a wetsuit if
you like to stay long in water. All pools are really cold, nobody swims
there. There is one heated big pool for kids, all life was around it.

Food is a big variety, much improvement since our last stay in a
matter of sterility. If you have a week stomach, abstain raw fruits
and vegs. Our poor child could eat only bread with butter. As for
us, we enjoyed new delicious meals every day.
They brew coffee and oriental desserts are great.

Staff is polite and friendly, we felt safe and home.
Our room was on the ground floor and we had to live in the
darkness, no sun could come through the high fence and we kept
curtains closed because hanging around security always cheated time
staring at nearby windows.
There were some activities, organized by the hotel, but it was hard to
guess where, what day of the week and what time. If they could highlight
coming events daily, we would take part in some.

I'd give five stars to that hotel, but reception staff was a real shame and
left me in a big disappointment. They cannot solve problems fast,
and they don't keep their words.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family

#3 of 33 in Nabq Bay
Steigenberger Alcazar
Steigenberger Alcazar
#1 of 33 in Nabq Bay

Been to Royal Albatros Moderna Sharm el-Sheikh? Share your experiences!