“Outstanding hotel. We will be back”

Royal Albatros Moderna Sharm el-Sheikh
Ranked #14 of 33 Hotels in Nabq Bay
Reviewed 12 June 2012

We arrived in Sharm El Sheikh with no hassle getting through the airport. We didn't get a visa as we knew we weren't going to leave the hotel for the 2 weeks we were there, but if you needed one it is very easy to obtain and only £13. We organised a private transfer to our hotel, I would highly recommend this because you don't have to stop at every hotel in Sharm dropping people off. Next time we go I will probably just get a taxi as there are loads available outside the airport and you can haggle it down to good price.

We checked into the hotel and pleasantly greeted by the hotel reception staff. Our bags were taken to our room by the concierge.  We were in room 1433, it was a lovely big room with a massive super size bed. The room was a little dated but was kept very clean. The only downside to the room was the view from the balcony of unfinished construction works. This didn't really bother us as we only in the room to sleep. We were told by people we met around the hotel that we could have moved rooms to a pool view if we asked at reception. But to be honest we didn't, as we could not be bothered to pack up our stuff and move so we stayed put. There is a tv in the room that has a range of channels, there are a few movie channels all shown in English, but most of all they had a sports channel dedicated to the Premier League so I could watch my beloved Swansea City.

We located ourselves by the Active Pool for the 2 weeks we were there. We kept the same beds every day. If you speak to the lifeguards or the guys with Recreation team around the pool they will put down the towels on your lounger every morning, for a small tip. The kids pool is fantastic, loads of different slides, the aqua park is great fun too.

There is a good choice of restaurants, something to suit everybody, our personal favourite was L'asiatique, which served tasty Chinese and Indian dishes. Breakfast for us was in the Italian restaurant where they served delicious croissants, omelettes and a cup of tea just like back at home ! At lunch time we would head to the Beach Bar for freshly cooked calamari, mackerel, seabass and octopus which ever was being cooked that day.

The beer is great, that is all we really drank, occasionally we would have a few cocktails, which are very nice. The Active Pool had its own bar where we were looked after by the outstanding " Amir Refat "Our glasses were never empty, he was always very polite and extremely professional, a credit to this resort. If you have the pleasure of meeting Amir he will make your feel very welcome and he adds that little extra something special to your holiday.

After peeling ourselves off the sun loungers,  we would go for a beer at the Terrace Cafe, it's a very nice place to sit and chill out before your evening meal. At the Terrace Cafe we were always looked after by " Raed " once again another extremely polite and welcoming person, he would do anything to make your stay more enjoyable.

After our evening meal we would sit outside on the balcony of the Lounge Bar, on the extremely comfortable seats. This is where we were met by " Metwaley Elkadey " a genuinely nice person. Who yet again could not do enough to make our stay pleasurable. There was a singing trio most evenings either at the Terrace Cafe or at the Lounge Bar. The main entertainment was shown down at the beach bar, something different every night, with a kids disco before the main entertainment. Get there early to guarantee a seat.

The Columbus Coffee Bar is very nice touch to the hotel, where you can experience a wide range of coffees, teas and cakes.

There is a cash machine located near the Lounge Bar, where you can withdraw cash with your bank card or put your Sterling into the machine and it will exchange it for Egyptian Pounds. You are better off changing your cash here as it gives a better rate than any exchange in the Uk. It was around 9.77 Egyptian Pounds to £1.

We will definitely be returning to this resort next year!

Just want to say a huge thank you to the staff we met while at the resort but a special thank you to Amir Refat, Metwaley Elkadey and Raed. The number one bar men !!

Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
9  Thank MrJamesAce
Mahmoud R, General Manager at Royal Albatros Moderna Sharm el-Sheikh, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2012

Dear James,

Warmest greetings from the sunny Royal Albatros Moderna Sharm el-Sheikh.

If there is ever an issue for our guests or they are not a hundred percent satisfied with something then all they need to do is report this to reception were we will do our up most solve this.
All your kind comments I will make sure I pass on to the relevant staff.
And again we are very happy that we meet your expectations and provided you with a nice relaxing holiday in the sun. We look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you to our hotel again very soon, at which time I hope to speak with you and personally ensuring your holiday here in the sunshine will exceed all your expectations.

gm@royalalbatros.com.eg

Write a ReviewReviews (6,787)

Reviewed 12 June 2012

We travelled to the royal albatros moderna in february 2012 a good time for all you English roses as the suns hot but not scorching! We all found this hotel to be spectacular!

The restaurants were all gorgeous they had amazingly tasty food and we were just spoilt for choice!

The rooms were always spotless as was the grounds and nothing was too much to ask for!

All the staff were really friendly and didn't treat you as highers they just treated you like a friend and they always up for a laugh;)

There was 9 of us girls in total ages ranging from 13-54 and there was something for all of us! For the elder generation there was the quiet pool and coffee bar. For the middle generations such as my self there was gorgeous views;) mr coffee man:* and for the younger generation there was watersides, half a dozen pools, football pitches and endless activitys from the animations team! And for everyone's benefit there was the spa where you were treated amazing and we enjoyed many treatments from here!

I would recommend this hotel to anyone and everyone! It's a gorgeous resort and a pleasure to stay in!

Room Tip: Rooms with a "pool view" or "sea view" are on the inside which is better than ha...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
7  Thank Lauren2808

Dear Sir or Madam,

Warmest greetings from the sunny Royal Albatros Moderna Sharm el-Sheikh.

Thank-you very much for your kind comments and the “5 out of 5 - excellent” rating you gave our Red Sea beach resort. We really appreciate your support and my team will be delighted you have recognised their great efforts. I am very happy that we were able to cater for the whole of your group and that everyone was happy and satisfied throughout there holiday with us.

Reviewed 12 June 2012 via mobile

Hotel clean. 5* not my kind of 5*. Generally good for money. Food and drinks good. Entertainment rubbish. Not a lot going on. Staff very friendly. Taxi service outside front of hotel rip off walk down to main hotel entrance an barter with taxi out side. Can't fault it for the money great pools great for kids just lack night time entertainment for size of hotel complex.

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed 12 June 2012

We have just got back from a weeks stay at the Royal Albatros Moderna and we had a fabulous time. The choice of food in the restaurants was excellent for all meals. The bars were very good, particularly the lounge bar and Sharky the bar man. The coffee bar did excellent lattes and speacilaity teas and coffees. We sunbathed by the Relaxation Pool as we did get slightly harrassed to have massages etc at the the Activity pool. Having said that we had 2 massages each throughout the stay and they were very good, I would recommend the Hot Stone Massage ! The rooms were very clean although our room 512 (overlooking the play area) was quite a walk from the main hotel building and as the hotle was quite we did not understand why they hadn't put us closer to the restaurants ? The only bad points are the temperature of the drinks at the pool bars, soft drinks were tepid and by no means cold but then again it was 38 degrees most days ! All in all a great holiday and we are planning to return in October.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Anita T
Mahmoud R, General Manager at Royal Albatros Moderna Sharm el-Sheikh, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2012

Dear Sir or Madam,

Warmest greetings from the sunny Royal Albatros Moderna Sharm el-Sheikh.

Thank-you very much for your kind comments and the “5 out of 5 - excellent” rating you gave our Red Sea beach resort. We really appreciate your support and the team will be delighted you have recognised their great efforts.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 11 June 2012

This was our third stay in the Royal; Albatross and it has improved each time. This time our room was in the newly renovated area and so was of a much better quality. As always, the staff were very friendly, helpful and couldn’t do enough for you. Although it is a large hotel and full of families there are quiet areas and space to relax (we went with another family with teenagers who were happy enough in the water park.) Food excellent especially for the price and enough choice for fussy eaters. Children loved the ice cream bar and although the water was still cold in the pool they managed a couple of hours before they got too cold. Would happily stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a newly renovated room
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank dorian r
Mahmoud R, General Manager at Royal Albatros Moderna Sharm el-Sheikh, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2012

Dear Dorian,

Warmest greetings from the sunny Royal Albatros Moderna Sharm el-Sheikh.

We are happy you enjoyed your third visit here with us and really look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you to our hotel again very soon, at which time I hope to speak with you and personally ensuring your holiday here in the sunshine will exceed all your expectations.

Reviewed 11 June 2012

From past reviews, it really looks like I'm in the minority here but I can honestly say I wouldn't stay here again if you paid me. I just feel I need to warn people not to go by the reviews here like I did.

Food – queue, queue, queue - I don't think we actually ever sat down together as a family to eat dinner (one of the main reasons we like to go on holiday). You have to queue to get your drinks (served in horrible little plastic cups which you get about two sips from) – we gave up trying to order a drink from a waiter as you would just get ignored. On several occasions, I actually saw people taking the water bottles from their hotel room into the restaurant rather than having to queue for drinks. Oh and if you want anything such as vodka and coke (Beach Bar), queue to get your vodka, then they'll tell you to get the coke yourself from the machine – which means you could have to queue again. Then time to queue again to get your food. Queue to get an egg cooked, queue to get some pasta, queue to get a pizza etc etc. Additionally, on four of the seven nights, the children's buffet had completely run out and I had to wait 10 minutes for it to be replaced each time. My patience was wearing thin at this point. Also, if they run out of cold milk in the morning (happened nearly every day), save time by tipping the urn forward to get the remnants otherwise you'll be waiting another 10 minutes for it to be filled up again – another guest gave me that tip! Previous to doing any of the above, find a table, remove all the dirty cutlery and plates and sit down because again, if you don't, you'll be waiting another 10 minutes for a table to be cleared. You could be lucky though and the waiter could come along and flick all the crumbs from the cloth onto the floor – guess that was their way of clearing up.

Daytime drinks – don't forget to get yourself a nice cup of instant coffee from the central bar by the kids pool - get your self a little plastic cup (be careful though – you could burn your fingers), fill it with instant coffee which looks as if it's been there years, add boiling water and then fill the rest up with milk (if there's any left).

Cleanliness – the guy who cleaned our room actually did a great job. Apart from him, I didn’t actually see another cleaner throughout the entire holiday. Grubby filthy windows and doors and oh and be careful when your shoes get stuck to the floor near to the juice machines.

Children's entertainment – I'm sorry but I didn't actually find one rep in particular to be that friendly. Kids would be so pleased to see her in the morning but she'd walk in without smiling and sit down on a bench in the Club. She also managed one day to leave the children on their own in the Kid's Club for 20 minutes to tend to a child – without telling anybody. If it hadn't have been for a parent going to check on her child as it was their first day, we would never have known. She actually took my children to the beach to build sandcastles but they didn't get time to build the castles as she took them to the restaurant, stuffed them with chips and coke and then came back. I only found this out when I couldn't get my children to eat their lunch – this was never mentioned to me when I went to collect them.

Swimming areas - The pools were great but actually freezing – hence the reason hardly anyone used them. I did actually complain about this but just got told the heated pool gets switched off on April 1st. I could go on and go but hopefully enough has been said for people to listen to me.

On this particular holiday, we met about eight other British couples who actually felt the same way as me. Say no more!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Sarahbuzz
Reviewed 11 June 2012

Just got back yesterday evening, we always have a good holiday but the staff and management make this an excellent one.
firstly I would never use Holiday gems again, no one for our paid transfers and booked me the wrong room one for 3 when I have 5, However the staff could see that this was not our fault and upgraded us at no cost to a family room.
Since we were last here, there have been some lovely additions,i.e the air conditioned coffe shop by reception and the free to use aqua park.
Positives,
staff are fantastic
hotel is great
always plenty of sunbeds including kingsize memory foam ones
little kids swimming pool with slides
food is ok (always edible and plenty of choice)
spotlessly clean

Negatives
The new beer is disgusting. It used to be Stella ( a nice cheap beer with a clean taste) but now it is a horrible murky ill-flavoured cup of slop.
slippery tiles randomly placed throughout
animations are rubbish, I WOULD RATHER THEY HAD NOTHING
pestered by sales people poolside all day long. no is a very hard word for an egyptian to understand, they cant go near you by the relaxation pool but with 3 kids who wants to lie here.
the hotel leans slightly towards the russian and german guest, yet there were a lot of brits here also (you only need to look at the flags outside the entrance gate).

for the hotel to go forward
they should give you a small flag that you can hang from your sun shade to prevent the sales staff from pestering you.
the old animations area would make a fantastic large pool with a swim up bar in it, something that would elevate the now unused area.

Room Tip: Be aware that there is always renovation work going on, all rooms are nice but they do work late, ma...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
#1 of 33 in Nabq Bay
Rixos Sharm El Sheikh
Rixos Sharm El Sheikh
#3 of 33 in Nabq Bay

Been to Royal Albatros Moderna Sharm el-Sheikh? Share your experiences!