“Good but not great!”

Ranked #12 of 32 Hotels in Nabq Bay
Shropshire
“Good but not great!”
Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

Had a 11 day break with my partner leaving the UK on Easter Monday. Check in was ok and became a bit of a rush due to the fact that the restaurants closed at 9pm and we checked in at 8.45pm. Our room was furthest away from the main building nearer to the beach, but was spotless with a Queen size bed. Towel art was done only on the day after we tipped. Food was good and plentiful considering the size of the complex, and staff were always hardworking and prompt in cleaning tables away. It does take a couple of days to get used to the layout of the restaurants and most people have their favourites. Wifi was available in reception area but it doesn't create the best 'first impressions' on arrival when you see people complaining, walking around reception area trying to obtain a signal to face time home. This was mainly between 6-8pm when people were going for, or already had there evening meal. During the day it was fine when less people using it. We spent our first day by the relaxation pool which was fine but busy due to the fact most families were just finishing their Easter holidays. On the second day we decided to go by the activity pool. This was a nightmare. No problem with the noise, kids running around, animation team who were very friendly and polite........ The nightmare was the continuous pestering from the reps for the spa and the diving school. It was literally every 10 minutes for the whole day. It's irrelevant if you have a red flag from reception as they choose to ignore this. I didn't need to be told I needed a shave, or have moisturiser rubbed into my hand whilst chilling in the sun. It really was annoying and everyone around us was feeling the same way. Lots of complaints going into the management, but nothing done about it. We then spent the rest of our holiday by the relaxation pool with no hassle at all. The split was 70% Russian 30% British. The vast amount of Russian people there were rude, ignorant and talk to the staff in a very disrespectful way. No need for it, so ended up biting my lip more than I wanted to! Overall it was an enjoyable holiday, but feel the management need to address the following issues sooner rather than later........
1) Stop the continuous pestering by the spa staff and diving school staff. People are on holiday for a reason and I'm sure being harassed all day long isn't wanted by most!
2) Stop people walking through and having sit down meals just wearing speedos! It's not very hygienic and not nice smelling someone's body odour whilst eating your lunch!

This may sound a critical review, but I have tried to be honest and tell it as it is. It's certainly not a 5* hotel, but it's clean and the staff that wait on tables, serve drinks and the chefs are all incredibly hardworking and deserve praise for what they do.
Would we return? Probably not to this hotel but would go back to Sharm again.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Dave H
Mahmoud R, General Manager at Royal Albatros Moderna Sharm el-Sheikh, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Dear Dave,

Thank you for the review and for choosing the RAM for your holiday. However, there are several points that I would like to clarify.

Firstly, although some of the restaurants close at 9pm there are restaurants open until midnight for late arrivals so there was no need for you to rush.

Secondly, towel art is not done only on the day you tip. It is done when and if the room-boy has time and if he knows how to do it. Not all of them do as they practice in their spare time. We don’t teach them.

If you didn’t want the sales teams to offer you spa treatments and excursions, either a simple polite “No thank you” does the trick or put the red flag up. You claim there were lots of complaints going in to the management. No, there weren’t. Simple as that.

The split here has never ever been anything like 70% Russians and 30% Brits. More like the complete opposite. Always with the Brits as the huge majority.

We have a dress code for dinner which we like our guests to adhere to and we wouldn’t allow any of our guests to wear their Speedos at dinner.

It’s good to know that you would return to Sharm. I hope you find a hotel you like.

gm@royalalbatros.com.eg

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,569)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2014

We stayed over Easter for 2 weeks. To be fair the first week was ok, just small problems with really dated rooms which we overlooked (faulty safe, leaking aircon, phone problem). The second week was the problem we were eating in the Mediterranean restaurant and my wife noticed a cockroach in the potato as she was just about to put it in her mouth. Of course this put us off eating at the hotel the rest of the week. We took the food to show the Duty Manager Mr Elmahady and to be honest he was very apologetic. He even gave us a free boat trip and late check out, however this in no way made up for the thought of what we were eating.

Just to rub salt into the wounds; Mr Elmahady told us to contact himself and the General Manager when we returned home. Unfortunately, once we had left the premises the hotel did not even bother to respond to our emails!!
All in all best stay away from this pace!

8 Thank Paddy12014
Mahmoud R, General Manager at Royal Albatros Moderna Sharm el-Sheikh, responded to this review, 10 September 2014
Dear Guest,

I am very sorry for your experience and that we did not respond to your emails. This particular member of staff is no longer working here so I'm afraid we cannot investigate any further.

Northwood, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2014

This was my second visit to the same hotel. Once again I was not disappointed. We were a party of 19, from the age of 3 years to 73 years and the hotel catered for all age group. Staff at every level were very helpful, courteous and always very polite. The majority of us are vegetarians and there was always ample choice of vegetarian food available. The Chef Mr Saha in the Asiatic Restaurant was extremely helpful by cooking something special for some members of our group who did not eat garlic. He did more than we could have ever expected and I would very much like you to convey our heartfelt thanks to him.I noticed that there were lot of your guests who were vegetarians and were bit confused when selecting the food. It would very helpful if the food labels were marked with big "V" to indicate it is suitable for vegetarians.
The only criticism I have is the rooms are very dated and the staff at the front desk could be better informed. When I inquired about the bank opening hours I got there different answers. Also it is very difficult to get currency in small denominations. Front desk staff is not helpful and as a consequence waiting and cleaning staff lose out because the guests don't have small notes for tips. On the whole we had a very enjoyable holiday and would recommend any family on a limited budget to use this hotel. It is fantastic value for money. Bharat Devani

Room Tip: Choose rooms facing the sea or the swimming pool. Avoid rooms on higher floors if you have difficult...
2 Thank BDevani
Mahmoud R, General Manager at Royal Albatros Moderna Sharm el-Sheikh, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Dear Bharat,

It was lovely to host such a large family group and we thank you for choosing the RAM for your holiday get-together. I am delighted that Chef was able to provide some more specialized food for the vegetarians and the non-garlic eaters among you – you only have to ask and we can normally work something out. I will certainly pass your compliments on to Chef Saha and also your suggestion about the “V” label.

We have a program of refurbishment which we are currently part way through but work on these rooms has to stop in times of high occupancy. However, if you should decide to book again, please email ahead and see what we can do for you. We’ll try our best.

Thank you for all the nice comments and we hope to see you all again soon.

Rhyl, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 May 2014

We stayed here over Easter, the hotel grounds are lovely and most of the staff are very friendly. We enjoyed the snorkelling from the board walk. The food here is very good and there is lots to choose from.
I found the reception staff indifferent, which did annoy me but I wasn't going to let that spoil our holiday. The rest of the staff are fantastic and good fun to talk with, they made a real effort with our children and always provided a great service. Overall the hotel is very good and we had a very relaxing stay.

Room Tip: The rooms with 3 digit numbers are older, although in a great location they do show there age. The b...
2 Thank SiD357
Dear Guest,

I am very pleased to hear that you had a relaxing holiday and that you found the staff friendly and helpful. However, I am concerned to hear that the Front Office staff appeared a little indifferent. It’s possible they were very busy and a little tired, as during times of high occupancy like Easter, they do work very hard. But I shall have a word with the Front Office Manager to get him to remind his team that we are here to offer our valued guests top service at all times, tired or not.

Thank you for the review and we look forward to welcoming you back to the RAM soon.

Clacton-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Stayed at the ram over the easter holidays and had a lovely relaxing time.The rooms we had over looked the quiet pool and were large and very clean.The food is good and although my daughters struggled with it at times,you'd never go hungry.they are just fussy teenagers.although it was very busy at the time we visited,there was never really any queuing and if there was a slight queue the staff never let the russians push in,which was a delight to see :) all the staff are lovely,from the cleaners to waiters to reception,all are polite and will do anything to ensure you are enjoying your holiday.we done the 2 hours speed boat trip with the fellas who sell it round the pool and it was lovely.we visited tiran island,saw the dolphins and the man let my girls drive the boat back.well worth it.dont really visit the same hotel twice but may look into it for next easter as everything including the weather was great.thankyou ram :)

1 Thank sydmeg710
Dear Syd,

I love to read that people who never go back to the same hotel are considering a return visit to the RAM. It shows what good value we are and what a great time our guests have here.

Thank you so much for the great review and we are delighted that you and the girls had such a wonderful time.

See you next Easter? We hope so.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Just back from spending a very very relaxing 10 day holiday at this hotel. The whole hotel was very clean including my room. It is a hotel which is absolutely perfect for families with the activity pool and an on site aqua park. all of the staff were lovely with the children and there was even a separate dinning room where they served early teas.

As well as being perfect for families, it was really easy for me to have a very quiet holiday (which is exactly what I wanted). Based on reviews on this site, I asked for a garden room, but on arrival I was told that I had a room by the relaxation pool which the reception staff said would be better for me and it was perfect. Very quiet at night, a minutes walk from the main building across a well light area and really relaxing by the pool during the day. The coffee bar was really nice with a lovely selection off drinks, cocktails were available at almost all of the bars (with the exception of the bar at the aqua park which doesn't serve any alcohol) and unlike some other all inclusive hotels I've stayed at drinking water was freely available at all bars along with bottles left in the fridge in the room.

the only reason that I have given this hotel very good rather than excellent is that the bathroom was a little bit tired and the food was a bit samey each day. that said I thought it was excellent value for money

Room Tip: The rooms around the relaxation pool was lovely for a single traveller. I did think though that the...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Helen M
Dear Helen,

Thank you for the review and I’m pleased that the alternative room we offered you was such a success. We would have like all 5 stars from you but alas, we are in the process of refurbishing some of the rooms and perhaps next time we will try to give you one of the finished ones.

We have 5 restaurants to choose your food from including Italian, Asian, German, Moroccan and Indian and the menus are changed every day. As well as that, there are the live cooking stations for chicken, pasta, pizza, kofta and kebabs at dinner time and pancakes and doughnuts at 4pm plus plus plus, so hopefully there is something for everyone. And you can now have breakfast down at the beach restaurant.

However, as you say we do offer excellent value for money so we hope to see you again soon.

Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 May 2014

We have just come back from 12 nights at the RAM, our 2nd visit in less than 12m. Its a great resort and has everything we want as a family. In just over 6m, there have been lots of changes and it looks like there is more and more work each day to making a great resort even better.

The staff are lovely and the Animation Team are so lovely to our little girl. All the staff across the hotel are accommodating and friendly.

The food isnt mind blowing but there is a fairly good variety across the restaurants.

Can highly recommend a massage in the spa - what a way to relax!

Its great and will definitely be going back again one day!

1 Thank allbrown80
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the review and it’s so nice to hear that your little girl was well looked after by all the staff.

We do make changes when we think it’s right and we have made several recently but we make sure that we don’t disturb our guests with any construction noise and at the moment we don’t have any building going on.

We really appreciate the recommendation and look forward to welcoming you back to the RAM soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Nabq Bay
#2 of 32 in Nabq Bay
Sultan Gardens Resort
Sultan Gardens Resort
#20 of 234 in Sharm El Sheikh

Been to Royal Albatros Moderna Sharm el-Sheikh? Share your experiences!