“Best Holiday and awesome animation team!”

Royal Albatros Moderna Sharm el-Sheikh
Ranked #12 of 32 Hotels in Nabq Bay
Lymington, United Kingdom
“Best Holiday and awesome animation team!”
Reviewed 13 June 2014

I had a great holiday in may this year! My first time to Egypt and I definitely would love to go back! and go back to Moderna! The animation team were so welcoming, they made you feel like you had been at the hotel for years! Getting us involved in the Dancing and Karaoke in the evenings! Billy, Chico, and Stephanie really made my holiday the best holiday I have ever had! The food was good and I could fault all of the staff at the hotel! everyone made my stay so good I did not want to leave! I have made life long friends from my holiday and shall be returning with them at some point in the near future!

Thank you moderna!
Thank you Billy, Chico, Stephanie and the rest of the Animation team!

Chloe Ganly-Boast

2 Thank Chloe G
Mahmoud R, General Manager at Royal Albatros Moderna Sharm el-Sheikh, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Dear Chloe,

You very clearly had the time of your life on holiday and I’m so pleased that you were well looked after by all the staff and especially the Animation team. They are a great bunch of professionals and I am proud to have them here.

We all look forward to welcoming you back soon.

gm@royalalbatros.com.eg

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,569)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 June 2014

I will keep my review short having previously done an in depth review on the hotel, i will focus on the changed observations i have made about the hotel. a good deal was avalible and having been here before i knew what to expect. It was on this visit that despite some improved features, the hotel has certainly slipped in my estimations.

I will start with the real big issue with the hotel, food hygiene. The hotel has passed its HACCP In january this year, meaning it has been indipendantly assesed and apparently fit for purpose, i will list some examples of practices i witnessed at this hotel that definatly do not gell with a HACCP

The hotel has food prep stations visible to guests, where for example on one night, beef steaks where being cooked.
The chef used both hands to removed the raw meat from its bag, and throw it onto the cooking surface, the meat was then cooked being turned with a spatula, and then then chef picked up all of the cooked meat with the same hands that had removed it from the packet in its raw state, this obviously is serious cross contamination, placing raw meat juices on cooked meat defeats the purpose of cooking it in the first place. i watched in horror as guests dived in and filled thier plates oblivious to what happened.

the same practice is done with the beef kebab station at night, removed raw, cook, then take cooked meat off with the same hands dripping in beef blood.

raw squid also is handled the same way, although this is deep fried and not touched directly by the chefs hands, if a calamari ring escapes the gastrognome the chef will pick it up and toss it back in.

Its really simple RAM, dont mix raw and cooked, clean hand before moving from raw to cooked.

Left over cereal at breakfast is taken and placed back into the top of the cereal dispenser

All members of catering staff are allowed to use mobile phones when preparing food, they will litrally leave you waiting while they tap away a text on a bacteria harboring mobile phone.

RAM can reply and say these are isolated issue which will be addressed, but it is rife through the entire hotel why has it not been noticed sooner, it obviously wasnt done when the HACCP inspector came visiting ?

There is the issue of staff being allowed mobile phones while working too, these devices disturb them especially in the coffee shop

Other issues____
The tagine and asian and medeteranian where fantastic last year, offering a rich variety of food to choose from, now they both have meagre offerings which during my stay pushed all of the guests into the italian resturant, the tagine mederanian and asian had at most 3 tables being used at any one time during my stay, while the italian was absolutly heaving.

Improvements___
The new beach bar is a fantastic feature, aswell as the night time entertainment area
hot fudge brownies at night was a nice touch
All day ice cream avalibility (Although it is a far cheaper brand than that avalible last year)

Its a well maintained clean hotel, spending money on new improvments, if it could just enforce hyginene in the catering staff and ban workers from using mobile phones whilst on shift, it would be much better, i have to rate this hotel poor, i dont expect to be served food that has been dangerously prepared.

8 Thank L123186338
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments and advice about the food hygiene here at the Royal Albatros Moderna. We do indeed have frequent hygiene checks from independent authorities as well as the annual HACCP and we pass them all with flying colours. Some of these checks are from internationally recognized companies and many of them are surprise spot checks. And we pass them all. Perhaps if you had brought up this subject at the time with me or one of my managers we would have been able to reassure you that our high standards are consistent and perfectly safe. I myself have looked at these particular areas that you have pointed out and I have not seen this practice that you describe and it leads me to wonder what you did actually see.

Only managers may use mobile phones during their work period as this is how we communicate with each other for the operation. Other staff are not allowed to use them and if discovered, they will be severely reprimanded and they are well aware of this. I’m sorry if this detracted from the enjoyment of your holiday.

However, I am delighted that you approve of the new beach bar and restaurant and I hope to see you back here again to enjoy another holiday with us.

Brighton
Reviewed 12 June 2014

After having booked this a year in advance with First Choice and having read all the reviews we were somewhat disappointed with our trip to the RAM. The reviews make it sound fantastic but it really is just an average 4*. There is very little wow factor.

The pools are of course very nice and the sun beds are fantastic - plenty of them and didn't have a problem getting one. The main pool is huge and you are of course right on the beach which has a jetty and fantastic snorkelling when the sea is calm. The slides are good for the youngers but there is very little shade so you couldn't be able to stay there too long.

The food was repeated every other night and about 5 days into a 2 week stay our 14 year old son was struggling to find anything to eat apart from pizza and burgers. We therefore found we were taking him out every evening to a local beach bar, 5 mins walk away called the Sunburnt Arms. This gave him a little more variety and the people there were very friendly and the food and drink reasonably priced. We found the Asian restaurant in the hotel suitable for our own needs but on the whole the food was extremely disappointing and repetitive and apart from the Sushi restaurant which we didn't use there were no a la carte restaurants to try.

The staff were friendly once you had given them a tip or two but without doing that you were sometimes ignored. One of the waiters in the ice cream parlour was extermely rude when I asked for ice cream in a cup he told me to go and get my own! Also, having to find your own cutlery at meal times is not my idea of a 5* nor struggling to find someone to serve you a drink with your meal.

We found the gym very good which we used most days but again things like not having towels in the gym available at 9am or even 9.30am became a chore having to keep asking and so we ended up taking the towels from our rooms to use. Not having a beach towel hut where you can exchange your towels daily is also a pain. One day we had to wait in our room for about an hour before someone provided us with clean beach towels - you obviously can't swap them if you are using them!

Another disappointment was the lack of mini bar. When it says mini bar it means "fridge". All you get in the fridge is a bottle of water per day each. No soft drinks/no beer and some days we didn't even get the water! We were extremely lucky though in that our room (106) was centrally located so we could take a couple of drinks back to our room in the evening and sit outside . The room was okay. It did need updating but it was large enough for the 3 of us.

As mentioned by other people the day to day harassment of the spa staff and tour people trying to sell you massages and trips is a nuisance. It is constant and they don't let up, at least not until you get a red flag from reception. Tie this to your parasol and assuming they spot it they will leave you alone - this is a must.

We hired a wifi until from a local tour company which served us well as we could use this in the room and by the pool and all get connected at the same time. We never used the hotel wifi but it is free apparently in reception. We also booked our trips independently of the tour operators which not only saved us money but we were given a VIP service - highly recommended.

All in all the weather was fantastic, the location was okay as we could walk 20 minutes into the main town and Sharm is so small that nothing is too far away but the hotel I'm afraid was not up to our usual standard which is such a shame bearing in mind some of the reviews say how wonderful it is. Would we go back? To Sharm maybe - to the RAM, I'm afraid no!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank SunflowerBrighton
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the review but I must clarify a few points you have brought up.

We have one à la carte restaurant here. It is the White Elephant Thai and Sushi restaurant which is the No.1 Thai restaurant in Sharm according to Tripadvisor. It’s a shame you didn’t use it. I don’t know what other à la carte restaurants you may have wanted.

If the ice-cream man had told you to “go and get your own” he would have been sacked on the spot and he is well aware of this.

Mini bars in 99% of all-inclusive hotels in Sharm El Sheikh (and probably elsewhere) are not part of the all-inclusive package. They are chargeable. We leave them empty to avoid ‘mistakes’ but fill them on request.

I do not understand why you would complain of the harassment of spa sellers. The red flag, as you say, stops that.

The huge majority of our guests come here to enjoy the food, the service, the sunshine, the pools, the beach, the sea, the coral, the fish, the excursions and all at an unbeatable price. I’m sorry you were disappointed with all of this.

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

Two week stay, excellent views from room, quiet adult pool, excellent staff, recommend tipping once early on for excellent service, couldn't ask for more with restaurants on site, hot buffet food. Already booked to go back in October!

• Stayed April 2014
5 Thank Sophie M
Mahmoud R, General Manager at Royal Albatros Moderna Sharm el-Sheikh, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Short and sweet and what a lovely, simple review that says it all really. Especially the bit about coming back in October. We’ll look forward to seeing you then.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

This was our second stay at RAM. We had a relaxing stay. Food was great with a wide selection to suit everyone's tastes. Especially enjoyed the coffee bar and the staff always remembered what you had ordered previously and would have it ready for you before you sat down. All the staff were always friendly and welcoming. Rooms cleaned meticulously, with a different towel sculpture every day - thank you Omar. Unfortunately had to use the medical clinic after a fall, but the staff were excellent and Lisa, a guest relations manager, explained everything which was a great help.
It is worth walking the distance to the end of the jetty to go snorkelling as a great variety of fish can be seen. A flag system operates depending on the sea currents but there is a lifeguard on duty, who will also give advice on where is the best area to swim, what to look out for and where the shipwreck is, which is worth seeing and not too far out.

Room Tip: Rooms by the Relaxation pool are quieter.
4 Thank Graham C
Dear Graham,

It’s great to read that you swam out over the shipwreck as it is one of the great attractions, not only for our valued guests but also for the millions of brightly coloured fish and coral that you can see there. I am glad you enjoyed it.

Thank you for taking the time to write this review of your stay with the recommendations and the tips for the future guests – it is so valuable for them and for us too as it serves to let us know what is going well for the guests and what we need to look at and improve.

I do hope the fall had no lasting ill effects but I’m pleased that we were able to help out when needed most.

Hopefully, we will have the pleasure of your company again in the not-too-distant future – we’re ready when you are.

Eastbourne, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2014 via mobile

After our first time at this hotel, we were sure to come back, and so we did!
When we arrived we were being taken to a room around the relaxation pool, and however nice this was, we wanted a room nearer the kids pool as our last visit as it was convenient for our 8yr old.
This was not an issue at all, straight away we were taken back to reception, and we were given the same room as our last visit, was absolutely perfect.
There was a lot of changes within the hotel since our last visit which were all fab, the hotel just seems to improve.
The only downside this time round, and it is only our fault, we like to eat late and the restaurants in January were closing at 10 ish, but this time round all restaurants were shut and cleared by 9pm except the German restaurant which there wasn't much to offer, so we ended up eating a lot earlier than usual, so that we had the fabulous mixture of all restaurants.
The staff are Ab Fab as usual, and cannot do enough for you.
And we will be returning for our 3rd visit very soon

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Abby T
Mahmoud R, General Manager at Royal Albatros Moderna Sharm el-Sheikh, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Dear Abby,

It’s such a delight to read that when you were not happy with the room they were taken you to they changed it for you. We always try hard to give the guests exactly what they want. It’s not always possible but we always give it our best shot.

There have been some great changes since your last visit and the new pool bar has just been opened while the new beach bar/restaurant and stage has been open for a couple of months now and there are some more improvements in the pipeline.

So thank you for the wonderful review and we look forward to the next holiday which we hope will be very soon.

Reviewed 10 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed in Feb 2014 ... apologies for the delayed review.
Fantastic hotel and facilities, BEAUTIFUL SPA ! Restaurants good with good choice of food. We found the entertainment in the evenings a bit rubbish but this was out of season so his may have improved in the summer months.
The only moan I would have is that the wifi in the hotel lobby was awful ! If there was more than 3 people trying to log on you've got no chance of connecting.

Everything else fabulous.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Rosalie G
Dear Rosalie,

We have improved the WiFi and the entertainment is much better at this time of year so why not book your holiday now?

Thanks for the lovely review and we hope to see you again very soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Nabq Bay
#2 of 32 in Nabq Bay
Sultan Gardens Resort
Sultan Gardens Resort
#20 of 234 in Sharm El Sheikh

Been to Royal Albatros Moderna Sharm el-Sheikh? Share your experiences!