We travelled on 26th July for 12 nights with children aged 12 and 8. This is a good hotel but with a few changes could be excellent.
We booked transfers with Sinai Safari Adventures and also our wi if unit. Arrival was easiet ever and wi fi unit was delivered in the taxi that picked us up which was great. It took us one hour from landing to getting into the room.....can't ask better than that!
Room was in a good location, 302, first floor facing active pool and very near reception. As other reviews have said rooms are a little tired and we struggled for somewhere to put our clothes.
Spent a lot of time round the active pool and enjoyed the music, as long as we could find a spot not too near the speakers as it was very loud. The sun bed situation is a bit of a nightmare. There are signs up stating beds must not be reserved before 8am or towels will be removed. This did happen but was a bit hit and miss. I did see towels taken but also saw them left and people not turn up till much later. I know it is a world wide issue but I didn't enjoy having to set my alarm to make sure we got a sun bed and umbrella and don't think you should have to tip the staff to make sure you get a decent spot.
The snorkelling from the jetty was amazing and definately the best part of the holiday.....take beach shoes if you plan on going into the sea at all. You can easily spend a few hours swimming and snorkelling and we did this quite a lot to avoid getting up at dawn for a sun bed.
Food was ok but we found the set up a little tiresome. We frequently struggled to find a table and only once had waiter service for drinks so on top of having to wander around in the heat to get food you also had to then queue to get drinks, this meant we rarely all ate our meals at the same time as one was queuing for food, while someone else getting drinks. I liked the Asian resturant and everyone else liked the Italian....the 2 were quite far apart!
For some reason the drinks served were rarely cold, in the heat the last thing you want is a warm bottle of water. They were just being served straight from the box so you had to ask for a cup with ice, which also seemed to be in short supply and I always had to ask for more ice. Beer and wine also never cold enough and also had ice in them. I love a G&T with lots of ice and lime but the Lounge Bar never had lime (he always apologised) I found this strange as there were always limes served on the buffet. I also didn't like being served adult drinks in paper cups in the lounge bar.
We found the downstairs coffee bar to be the best. Amazing latte and ice latte always served with a smile.
Majority of the staff are friendly and work very hard, don't know how they do it in the heat. Loved how they shouted at the Russians if they pushed in!
Entertainment staff did a good job round the pool, we are still singing the songs!
Had a massage and pedicure. Massage was lovely but expensive, they promise you a good deal with 5 free 'things' but not sure what they actually were.
Went to La Strada a few times and got a taxi from outside of hotel for 40le one way. They desperately want to pick you up as well and to pay on the return journey but it's easy to get a taxi back. Used hotel taxi to get to SoHo Square, more expensive but felt safer to be picked up.
Enjoyed the shopping but the hassle does become a pain, actually found the hotel shop to be good value for bags. Beware of buying sand art, got ours from hotel but when we got home it has settled and is all messed up, wasn't cheap so my daughter is very disappointed as it cost most of her holiday money.
We had a really good time and if you want a beach holiday with guarenteed sunshine (didn't see a cloud for 12 days) then this is the place for you. Would we go again, possibly but not in August, lovely in the day but too hot in the evenings and resturants too busy.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Opened in 2004, the 5* resort has a dream location on the golden sandy beach on the new hotel zone of Nabq Bay, facing coral reefs in the crystal clear waters of the Red Sea, and the shipwrecks of the nearby Straits of Tiran. The main building and the attached two-storey building are surrounded by resplendent gardens extending down to the beach. This elegant all inclusive resort is only 12 km from Sharm El Sheikh Airport, and 20 km from the famous Naama-Bay.Whether you're celebrating an anniversary or honeymoon, planning a family vacation in Sharm El Sheikh or just wanting to get away from it all, Royal Albatros Moderna is the perfect place for all ages and interests. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Southall Travel, Booking.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Royal Albatros Moderna Sharm el-Sheikh reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Royal Albatros Moderna Hotel Nabq Bay
- Calimera Royal Moderna
- Calimera Moderna Beach
- Royal Albatros Moderna Sharm El-Sheikh Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt - Nabq Bay