“Tranquil and peaceful”

Ranked #23 of 32 Hotels in Nabq Bay
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Tranquil and peaceful”
Reviewed 18 January 2013

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay from 7th jan to 14th, i thought the the staff were the nicest i have experienced in a long time especially the front men at the desk Mahmoud, Elaiwa and Ahmed.
Along with cleaner ashraf who was always enthusiastic and nothing was too much trouble for him.
I had seen some negative food reviews previously and was a little worried when i got there but i was pleasantly surprised to find the food was fresh consistent hygienically cooked and alternated throughout the week with a choice for most people,and being a former award winning restauranter it is particularly hard to impress me as i am a severe critic.

The only down side to my holiday was the wanton nudity displayed by Russian and italian guests and the excessive alcohol consumed.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Solo423
Laguna Vista B, General Manager at Laguna Vista Garden Resort, responded to this review, 26 February 2013
Thank you for your positive comments, it was a pleasure to have you stay at Laguna Garden Resort. Our staff work very hard to deliver a high level of hospitality, and no effort is spared to ensure our guests are catered for in every way we can to maxmise their holiday experience. Your personal thanks will be past to the aforementioned team members. It can be challenging to please everyone, but makes it very rewarding when I read reviews like yours. I am glad we achieved guest satisfaction, and would love to welcome you back again in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 January 2013

We were staying here with my mum for 9 nights and we loved it! The layout of the hotel is wonderful and full of palms, flowers, nice blooming bushes,staff is taking care of them every single day! We were pleased to walk around any time of the day, felt like a paradise. All the staff is wonderful, attentive, friendly and joky.Thats all created a great mood for us and homey atmosphere for me and my mum. Our housekeeper Azziz was great. Staff in the restaurant was great too, remember us, and it really felt that they were happy to see us, all felt very genuine. Food was really good and hot at lunch and dinner, there was variety we were always walking out so full and pleased, but breakfast was repetitive, but always fresh, I cant complain. We never had any problems with stomachs as some people wrote in their reviews, just make sure you wash your hands before eating, that's easy. We were amazed with the waiters, they never stopped, cleaning, talking to the quests, tiding, they never stopped.I ll be happy to see all of them again!
I am happy our friend advised us this place otherwise I would never pick it up by myself as I was choosing judging by the main picture of the hotel. SO THE MESSAGE TO THE OWNER OF THE HOTEL, PEOPLE WILL BUY MUCH MORE TRIPS TO YOUR HOTEL IF YOU WILL PUT A BETTER MAIN PICTURE, YOUR PLACE IS GREAT BUT THE PICTURE DOESN'T REFLECT IT.

Room Tip: Choose the one near the pull, any side, as around pull its great anywhere.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank LidiyaBelarus2013
Laguna Vista B, General Manager at Laguna Vista Garden Resort, responded to this review, 25 January 2013
Thank you for taking the time to give me your feedback, we take great pride in our hotel structure and surroundings, it is unique and one of its kind in Sharm El Shiekh so I am glad to hear that you appreciated it to its full potential. Our staff aim to deliver top service to our guests and work very hard to ensure satisfaction is achieved. It is difficult to please everyone with our food choices, as we have to cater for a number of nationalities, however we are always adding additional food items to our menu. Please can you tell which main picture you are talking about, in a brochure or TripAdvisor? I hope that you come back and visit us again in the near future, and look forward to welcoming you back.
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 January 2013

Traveled 12th Dec 2012. The price was cheap for a week in the sun all inclusive via Thomas Cook. The room was clean and tidy with all usual facilities and bed was extremely comfortable hard foam mattresses, usually beds are shot at mass tourism venues. Upon arrival I wanted a double room, reception said not possible as they were full. Turned out only 30% occupancy, dislike being lied to! This place is great to lie around with the sun shining everyday however the major issue is with the variety of food, lack of imagination and the associated handling.
Food appears to be recycled. I am not a food inspector but I have food safety concerns especially after I became ill half way through the week. Serving spoons not changed regularly, chef drops serving tongs on the floor then puts them back in the food, chef handles cooked beef joints with bare hands to carve then puts back in the tray. Trays of cooked pasta out waiting to be used at room temperature before being re heated with sauce you require ( I suspect that is what made me ill after eating as I was ill a few hours later.) Table mats and surfaces not cleaned after use. salad components out not chilled. Freshly made pizza was on the menu once a week and that was a life saver! Need that every night!
For drinks at the bar take your own tankard. Take moist toilet wipes and anti bacterial floor wipes to give the bathroom and sanitary wear a going over to cut down risk of illness. we didn't let the room boy clean or mop floor to save importing germs from other apartments.
We took acidophilus 10 good bacteria tablets with us, when I took them my diarrhea slowly improved. I am still not right and off to docs next week.
My opinion is I would love to say that this place is great for a week lying around in the sun but the food safety element is non existent and needs a comprehensive review before I would consider returning. The rep during his welcome meeting sated that people easily get ill here because off different pathogens! Tour operators need to send an under cover inspector to have a look. I wasn't the only one there to come down with sickness.

2 Thank PWG99
Laguna Vista B, General Manager at Laguna Vista Garden Resort, responded to this review, 8 February 2013
Thank you for giving me your feedback on your stay with us at Laguna Vista Gardens, I am pleased to hear that you found your room comfortable. We aim to meet all our guests needs to ensure they have an enjoyable and memorable holiday with us.

We undertake daily food tests to guarantee we are meeting the health and safety criteria to reduce the risk of illness amongst our guests, however we cannot eliminate all sickness and this unfortunately is a common occurrence in Egypt. Furthermore, we have random inspections carried out regularly each month, and our scoring is satisfactory. Your points raised will be past to our Head Chef for evaluation and acted upon accordingly.

We are making ongoing improvements to our buffet menu, and adding new foods and taking into consideration the feedback we receive from guests. We will shortly be introducing a themed night menu so our guests will know in advance what is available to them.

I hope in the future you will return to Laguna Vista and see the changes we have implemented.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 January 2013

My partner and i stayed here for 14 nights (17th - 31st Dec 2012) and thoroughly enjoyed it.
It is the most peaceful, tranquil, relaxing resort i have ever been to. If laziness and relaxation is what you require then this is the place to be.
The accomodation was beautiful, individual chalet type huts which were like a tardis from the outside - once inside, it was very spacious and and kept very clean.- we loved it.
The food in the restaurant was very much what you would get at any resort in Sharm, nothing to write home about but what do you expect to get when travelling abroad?
There was only one bar, which is around the pool and the only fault i could find there was the drinks could be doing with being a little bigger - they were only in small glasses.
We did venture across to the sister hotel across the road to walk along the beach etc, but when it came to lazing on sunbeds - we preferred to stay at our resort for the peace, the tranquility and to say hiiiiiiyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaa to the staff which i have to say, are there at all times should you need help - a special thanks to Ali ( the bell boy)and our Thomas Cook rep (who goes by the name of 'George' who made speaking to my entire family on Xmas day possible.
There are plenty of places to eat and drink outside the resort, with a couple of English bars within 10 minutes walk, who do typical English and show every Premiership game live.
I will be honest and say 14 nights was possibly a bit too long as there was no entertainment in the evenings, which i think would make a difference maybe to occur 3 nights a week? But we would definately without a shadow of a doubt return to this resort but only for a week

Room Tip: Room 206 - Perfect
3 Thank ruth c
Thank you for taking the time to give me your valuable comments, and I am so glad to hear you had a lovely peaceful holiday. Garden Resort does give you a tranquil feeling, and due to the size makes it very comfortable and personal. With regard to the small glasses our F&B Manager will consider this point, and a solution will be found. An entertainment programme will be implemented very shortly including quiz night, and local music, and our Beach Resort will continue to have entertainment in the evening over a weekly period; violinist, pianist, singer and gutairist. I will pass your special mention to our staff, and I hope that you come back to Laguna Vista in the near future, I look forward to accommodating you again.
Glasgow
Reviewed 3 January 2013

We flew out to Sharm on 26th December for 1 weeks all inclusive staying at the Laguna Vista Garden Resort.

We have both been to Egypt before (mainly Cairo) but never to the Sharm area so we were excited to see what it was like.

The package holiday was with Thomas Cook & after a bad start to the holiday (The lovely check in people fleecing us for £30 excess luggage & having a stinking attitude) I was really hoping for a great week away.

HOTEL:

On arrival at the hotel first impressions were great ;-)
The gardens & grounds looked great & they had Christmas & New Year decorations/ lights up which made it look very festive.
The guy that checked us in wasn't very impressive though- no chat, quite dismissive & gave us NO INFORMATION about the facilities/ all inclusive/ meal times or anything which was really disappointing as this was the first impression of the Hotel.

ROOM:
Ali (porter) took us to our room & showed us around- he was great.
We were staying just off the pool, room 233 in one of the cottages.
We were both really impressed. The cottage inside is really big with massive ceilings in traditional Egyptian style. There was loads of wardrobe space with a free in-room safe.
You get free 5kg of washing/ ironing included in the rate.

The bathroom again was HUGE & the shower was amazing although sometimes during certain times of the day the water wasn't that hot.
We had a few problems with the toilet as it took AGES to re-fill & seemed to constantly run water.

The TV in the room had 5 channels in English with some great movies etc so this was great if you wanted to chill before dinner etc. The TV was quite small though & the signal sometimes was interrupted.

BAR:

There is only 1 bar in the Garden Resort, which is outside but completely covered with loads of seating, at the bar & just next to reception.

The service at the bar was first class although the size of the glasses are SHOCKING!
They are so small & the measures are quite big so its almost straight alcohol (That's saying something coming from a scotsman!)

I enjoy having a white wine & I found it very strange that the only place you could drink wine was in the restaurant!! Wasn't impressed with this at all.
They do a great lager shandy though- We drink this all day!
Premium brands are chargeable & not within the all inclusive package.

RESTAURANT:

Due to the Vista Garden being the smaller sister resort of the Laguna Vista beach Resort (Directly across the road- 4 mins away) there is only 1 restaurant. For more choice during your stay you can you the facilities across the road- this is all included in the all-inclusive package.

We split our time between this restaurant & the other restaurants at the beach Resort.
Breakfast was great- full of choice, although no bacon or sausages :-(
The made to order omelettes were brilliant as are the freshly made pancakes with choc sauce.

Lunch- Once again we split our time between both resorts for lunch & didn't have any complaints for either with regards to the food.
Sometimes the dining room got quite busy so I would avoid peak times if you don't fancy waiting for the pasta station or hot-grill.

What we noticed on quite a few occasions was the preferential treatment of the Italian guests which made up the majority of the hotel.
One lunch we were seated next to an italian family who sat down a few minutes before us & were being served by the same waiter.
They had drinks within minutes, 2 bottles of water each & then a second round of drinks.
We had finished our meals & still hadn't been spoken to or even given a bottle of water. Eventually we had to speak to another waiter as ours was far more interested in getting a better tip from the Italians than us!

Dinner- We liked the dining experience at the Gardens much better than the across the road at Beach Resort.
We dined at the beach resort 1 night only & found it awful!
The food was fine, but the dining room was really crammed & you were edging in & out trying to get to the buffet.
Most of the Russian & Italian guests didn't have great manners so it was every man for themselves.

A few times when we ordered wine for dinner it came in a really small glass & was warm from the bottle & not chilled.
I asked for a large glass (the water glasses are large red wine glasses) but was told no they couldn't do that- so I just asked for 2 glasses at a time so I didn't have to wait an eternity.

The food is made up of a few cold sections of buffet (cold meats, cheese, salads, dips & dressing) Hot section- there was normally chicken, beef, fish & a vegetarian curry or stew with rice etc.
They also had a hot plate section with a different meat or fish each night & a pasta section where you can make to order.
The bread section is huge with loads of choice.

We didn't have a dessert at all as we didn't think they looked up to much.

On New Years Eve the chefs really did an amazing job- the restaurant was decorated & the selection on offer was brilliant with loads of foods from all over the world. There was hot bbq's outside with many different options. I chose the shrimp but only ate a few of them as they were slightly under cooked.

A-lacarte. As part of the all-inclusive package you get a meal in the Italian restaurant which we really looked forward to & dined here on New Year's day.
The food was lovely but the selection wasn't very good as its a restricted menu if you are getting it for free compared to the full price menu.
You also only get 1 free alcoholic drink. They wanted to charge me £4 for a small glass of warm wine.

There are other restaurants around the hotel which we dined at twice as the all-inclusive buffet does get a little bit repetitive.
We tried the brand new Hard Rock Cafe (had only opened the day before we arrived) and also the Chinese next door.
I would recommend both these restaurants if you are looking for a change.
The hard rock had great entertainment & the food was outstanding- The price was great too. £44 for 2 x starters, 2 main meals & 4 x beers.
The food in the Chinese was brilliant & the prices great!!
There is also McDonalds, TGI Fridays, Burger King, KFC & Starbucks right next to the hotel.

POOL:
There are numerous pool areas at the Garden Resort & even more across the road at the beach resort.

We spent most days at the Beach Resort as there was more choice of areas to sunbath & also had the beach. We mostly lay at the 2nd pool where we were looked after by mohammed- he was brilliant & really took care of us. My drink was ready & waiting for me by the time I walked down the stairs to the bar.

Outside the Resort:

If you have not been to Sharm/ egypt before then be mindful of people trying to sell things to you in the street etc.
When walking across the road from the Gardens to the beach resort you would be approached by numerous vendors trying to sell camel rides, taxi, tours & sometimes drugs!
All you need to say is "No thanks" quite firmly & they will leave you alone.
Also dont fall for the "will you sign my autograph visitors book" this is just a ploy to get you into their shop where they can flog you fakes etc.

EXCURSIONS:
We went on the Thomas Cook Mega Safari trip which was £58 each.
This consisted of a quad bikes, camel rides, lunch in the desert then taken to a bay for water sports etc.
This was good but I am not sure if it was entirely worth the price as Falcon Tours next to the hotel were selling similar trip for £35.

I went Scuba Diving which was arranged by one of tours at the hotel- Nabq Bay aqua centre.
I pad £50 for 2 x dives at sharks bay & because this was done on new years morning it was a private dive as not very busy that day!
Totally loved it & would recommend to anyone.

All in all we had a great holiday & really enjoyed the winter sun.
I would recommend this resort to other travellers- couples, singles & families.
If going back to Sharm I would look into staying at the gardens again or possibly another resort in the Nabq bay area.

1 Thank Alan M
Thank you for your comprehensive feedback, it is much a appreciated and very valuable for us to improve our quality and service. First impressions are always the most important, and we do aim to give our guests a warm welcome, supported by information about our resorts. Our staff undertake regular training in particularly customer service to ensure a high level of personal care is given throughout our guests holiday.

I am pleased you liked the unique style of our cottages, and the facilities provided within them. Our Engineering Team are always on standby to fix any problem for you during your stay.

Unfortunately, this is our present All-Inclusivef formula that wine is served only in the restaurant during the operation period, but this is a valuable point, and this will be sent to the F&B Manager to considering upgrading in the forthcoming months, as with the big measures and glass sizes. We are always to trying to improve our menu to give variety to our guests, and your feedback will be past to the Dua Dua Restaurant Manager.

We have a number of nationalities that stay with us, and we aim to treat everyone with the same standard of care to ensure all our guests have a memorable and enjoyable stay with us. I hope that we see you again at Laguna Vista, as we look forward to welcoming you back.
Hereford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 December 2012

I have been going to Egypt for over 12 years now and actually started my visits in Nabq Bay, when there were only 11 hotels in the area. Not having been there for a while, I was surprised and not pleasantly, by the amount of development. What was once desert, is now a hotch-potch of unfinished houses and hotels. The whole place looks really seedy and dirty to be honest and in the main empty of people!!
The Laguna Vista Garden was blissfully quiet, due to the fact that ther were very few guests. The hotel itself was ok, however it has no inside bar, which I found quite strange, as these desert nights can be quite cold. It was basically clean, but my shower was awful and dangerous!! It was covered in mould and an the floor was slippy, due to the fact that soap residue is allowed to build up and is not cleaned off, the result is that when water dfalls on it, it becomes an ice-rink, very slippy indeed as I found out!!!!! As we were only there for a week, it was pointless making any complaints....we just wanted to enjoy the sun. General things like bad electrics, doors that don't shut, showers that dribble out water etc, are all there, but you put up with it as it is Egypt.

The food was dull, unappetising and repetitious, apart from the lovely fresh pasta that was available (thank you Ali Shabab). We had to eat out on 3 nights (out of 7), as there was just no choice that suited us. Before any Egyptian 'expert travellers' start berating me, this was my 25th visit to Egypt, so I think I am entitled to an opinion. You could not get wine outside of the dining room (very strange) and when you did the wine was inevitably warm. I do not expect 5* banquets, just good simple food.

Round the pool the usual hassle by vendors selling their services was intolerable. The Hotel operates a Red Flag (do not disturb) initiative, which was ignored every day. The people from the Spa were particularly 'in your face' and would not give up. After using the spa already, I was told by one of their staff, after they were told (5th time) that we didn't want to go again, that I was lying, and that I had never been in the first place!!! You couldn't write it better than this.

The staff were all very helpful (particularly Kiko in the bar), but they all seemed rather 'downcast' to be honest, with not much evidence of the excelllent Egyptian humour that I am used to.

Lastly, the parade of shops over the road, next to Laguna Vista Beach. A word of warning, DO NOT use thse shops, their prices are horrendous, they sell counterfeit goods which the swear are real and find every way they can of parting you from your money (including sleight of hand. If you want to know the full story, please contact me direct). I thought Naama Bay was bad, but they are far worse.

Anyway, back to Naama Bay for me next time, I will not be visiting this hotel, or area again.

London
Reviewed 21 December 2012

I booked a double bed and a cot for my 6 months old baby, when we arrived our room wasn't ready and when we finally got to our room there were 3 single beds (no cot) and giant ants crawling everywhere, even on the beds!
The food was very bland, consiting of rice and chicken every night.
We ended up with upset stomaches from the food.
The bottled water was rationed to 1 per person even though it was All Inclusive. (had to keep buying our own water from the local shop).
The toilet flush kept breaking and when we tried to call reception for help our telephone in the room didn't work either, amongst other things that were very unsatisfactory.
The Swimming pool shut at 7pm although it didn't get dark till 9pm and we wasn't impressed with holes in the beach towels and reception staff were very unhelpful.
At the end of a 2 week holiday i couldn't wait to get home. A Waste of a lot of money.
Other hotels in sharm el sheikh were much better as i have been 5 times and would never stay at Laguna Vista Gardens or Beach hotel again. Very disappointed.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank SunnySky333
I appreciate that you have taken the time to give me your feedback, and can only apologise that your room was not satisfactory upon your arrival.

We are implementing a number of new strategies in order to maximize our customer satisfaction in food, and will shortly be providing a 14 day themed programme which all nationalities will be able to benefit from. The kitchen department work to strict Health & Safety regulations, and random checks are undertaken to ensure we are meeting the criteria. We had a large turnover of guests during December, with no cases of sickness relating to food.

It is the hotel policy that the swimming pool closes at sunset, and this is for the Health & Safety of our guests, but your comment regarding the condition of the beach towels and ants in room will be past to the Housekeeping Management for evaluation.

We are constantly delivering new training programmes to our staff to ensure the best quality and service is delivered, and our ultimate aim to deliver a service that exceeds the expectations of our guests.

Thank you again for your comments, and hope you will visit us again the future to see some of the changes and improvements we are making.