“Amazing weather, relaxed location - very enjoyable..”
Review of Jaz Mirabel Beach

Jaz Mirabel Beach
Ranked #24 of 32 Hotels in Nabq Bay
Berkshire
“Amazing weather, relaxed location - very enjoyable..”
Reviewed 6 October 2009

I was somewhat worried after reading the July/August reviews about cleanliness etc and pools being closed but they got better in September maybe because the resort wasn't as busy. Saying that, when we were there end Sept/Beg Oct, they were practically full with over 2000 people but you'd never think it. The resort is so huge that you'll always find somehwere to relax and you never have to 'bagsy' a sunbed as there are hundreds of them! We stayed at the beach most of the time as it was quieter and the breeze was wonderful and made sunbathing much easier in 35C heat. Room was basic but kept very clean and the huge shower (could easily fit 4 in it) was lovely. Our cleaner (all male) was very helpful and we gave him a tip half way through and at the end of the 11 days.

My only couple of niggles would be the food which was very repetitive so we ended going out a couple of nights - also just to be served - as going up to a buffet gets tedious. We ate in the Italian with our complimentary voucher and I'm afraid I thought it was our worst meal! We didn't have the pizza or pasta as we'd had plenty of that over the other meals so we ordered meat main courses which were basic to say the least. Plus their desserts were not 'italian' at all..they had the right names...Tiramisu etc but what was put in front of me was far removed from the Tiramisu I know! The people who said they had Pizza etc seemed to have enjoyed their meal. Went to TGI Fridays one night in Naama Bay which was fab..and cheaper than the UK I think.

If going to Naama Bay, use the hotel shuttle as it's much cheaper than taxis and you know what you're getting.

Trips: We did the VIP Cruise and the Ultimate Desert Experience....

VIP Cruise - I loved it as I love boats and they only book 25-30 people on a boat which can take about 45 so there's lots of room. The snorkelling wasn't so great on the first 2 stops but the last one (near the port) was great. Beautiful coloured coral and an abundance of exotic fish. Unfortunately we didn't get to see a turtle but the stingray and trigger fish made up for it. Lunch was nice and plenty of it. Soft drinks all day (no alcohol).
UDE: I thoroughly enjoyed the quads as I'm quite adventurous and have done it before but my friend is the opposite and didn't really enjoy it at all. She was nervous and quite slow and so felt the whole thing was quite a task. The camel ride was ok, it is what it is..the dinner and show were awful. Very basic and I didn't eat anything apart from the rice and pasta (I don't have a basic palette either). So we went to the hotel restaurant when we got back to eat. Our guide was fab and very knowledgable and spoke excellent English.

Beach: we loved the beach because we weren't into proper swimming or snorkelling so paddling in the shallows with no waves crashing on to you was fabulous. The water only goes to calf height at the deppest although there is a little dredged out area market with buoys ig you want something up to about waist height! If you're not walking out to the reef then flip flops will suffice on the rough sand.

Tipping/Haggling: Haggling is fun at first but starts to get very boring because you have to do it for everything, even in the pharmacy! Tipping - try not to get roped in to tipping all the time just because someone else is doing it. We saw two extremes. One family tipping ridiculously but yes, they did get very good service..but another family not tipping at all until the very end and having equally good service! We did a bit here and there and had no service problems.

Thomson Reps: We only really had interaction with Craig and we thought he was absolutely fab. We loved that they were in the hotel twice a day for long periods so no rushing to get to see your rep once every few days for a 1 hour slot! Craig was very courteous, knowledgable and friendly although he may not be there when you go as I think he is moving to Goa soon!

Helpful Hints:
1. When you arrive in the airport, it can be very confusing. Go straight to passport control UNLESS you want a visa (to go to Cairo or outside Sinai). If you want the visa, vere into the left hand queses where you will see Thomson and First Choice signs.
2. The driver loading your case onto the coach will hold out his hand and ask you for a tip - don't feel you have to but he will take a British £1 coin if you don'y have small Egyptian notes.
3. All inclusive finishes in the bars at midnight
4. Topless sunbathing - people do do it but it's not meant to be allowed and as it's a Muslim country it's frowned upon but your choice in the end. We didn't, just out of respect to the locals.
5. Beach party is great fun and good music - on twice a week.
6. If you want a much more upmarket evening out go to Soho Square near Sharks Bay BUT it will cost you dearly! 2 drinks cost £16 but you don't get hassled etc
7. Fake handbags - a lot of them are not even real leather even though they say they are so just take them for what they are. I bought two just because I liked the design - didn't matter to me if they were leather or not.
8. Hotel room hairdryer is good so you don't need to take your own if you don't want to
9. Laundry service is excellent and not very expensive compared to other 4* hotels.

Right - think that's all I have to say as I'm still a bit tired from the travelling as only got home at 4am this morning! Must just say hi to Matt & Jodi :-)

Have a wonderful holiday - there wasn't a cloud in the sky!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank CharlotteG1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,283)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Sheffield
Reviewed 3 October 2009

This was a really nice hotel, made even better by the friendly staff, give them a little tip now and then and they make your holiday even better, e.g. sit around the pool and have your drinks brought to you in large (pool safe) glasses, walk in to the bar and not even have to ask for a drink, it's brought straight to you.
The food was excellent apart from one night but that was more my taste than their cooking.
If you use the jetty next door to go snorkeling pay in Egyptian pounds not English pounds, that way it only works out at £3 instead of £4 but it's still worth it either way with four poster beds at the end to relax on with the noise of the waves to send you to sleep. The snorkeling is fantastic all the way along the coast with a wreck to go around (which is massive), millions of fish and turtles.
All in all a great hotel and we would recomend.
Excellent for kite surfers aswell.

WEST MIDALNDS
Reviewed 1 October 2009

Well first of all may I say thank you to all the people that emailed me regarding the hotel, after reading some of the reviews I wondered if I had booked the right holiday. I would say that the hotel was not a 5 star platium, more like a 3/4 star, but it is a developing country for tourism, I did not find the staff rude, they were very polite and helpful, the food was varied and there was always somethink to eat, my husband is a fussy eater and he never went hungry,

The rooms were basic but having said that they were kept clean, the one thing that we were dreading was the tummy bug but neither me or my husband had it.

We were talking to a couple who had been to Sharm 5 years on the run, staying at different hotels an they said this one was the best,

If we did decide to go to Sharm again I would stay at this hotel as it was clean.

I was not impressed with the Thomson reps didnt have much time for you if you needed any questions answered.

If you need any questions answered please just asked and once again thank you to all the people who emailed me.

Wolverhampton
Reviewed 30 September 2009

Was a little worried after reading the reviews but I was pleasantly suprised....
The hotel and its grounds were very large and lush, very clean and the staff would bend over backwards for you, the entertainment was good - always something going on in the day but more relaxed with live singers at night.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone but if I had to have a moan it would be about the food and drink, not that it wasnt good but always the same - just varied slightly dailey and considering this was a 5* I was expecting more, there wasnt much variety on drinks either and larger and cocktails was served in plastic coca cola cups around the pool. Also there is a charge of £4.00 each to go onto the jetti to snorkle in the sea, which we thought was a little steep.
There are many shops to the hotel, again staff very helpful, try and make the 'beach party' on Tuesday nights - up to date music and atmosphere very good.
We really enjoyed this holiday - very relaxing and would recomend it to all.

2 Thank PatWolverhampton
Scotland
Reviewed 30 September 2009

My wife and I have just returned from a two week all-inclusive vacation at this resort. Whilst overall our stay was quite pleasant, this resort is probably best described as a good 4* resort with 3* service (unless you’re willing to tip constantly) and we had a number of problems that wouldn’t have occurred in a true 5* resort. We wouldn’t go back (there were too many things we just didn’t like), but if you paid a 4* price (as we did, to be honest) and don’t mind getting a 4* resort instead of a 5* resort, then you’ll probably have a good time there.

Firstly, the good things about the resort:

>> It’s a large complex with a nice, cosmopolitan feel - the grounds are pretty, clean and well maintained as are the main public areas
>> There are a good number of pools stretching from the club house to the beach and there’s a bar within 100 yards of each pool – the private beach is superb and relatively quiet
>> There are plenty of sunbeds, both around the pools and on the private beach, and there’s plenty of space around them so you don’t feel hemmed-in – there were always plenty available, no matter what the time of day
>> In terms of food there’s always plenty of choice, with a wide array of meat, chicken, fish and vegetarian options – the quality is probably 4* though and you get some bizarre offerings (e.g. cold baked aubergine containing a small block of cold lasagne – bizarre!)
>> Many of the bar waiters and guest services staff are very attentive (although completely overworked)
>> We booked through Thomsons in the UK and their representatives were absolutely superb - they couldn’t have been more helpful and really made us feel special
>> The rooms (we booked a standard room) are spacious

...and now the negative points:

>> Our room was pretty tired, with plaster and paint falling off large areas (2m by 1m) of the wall – it was also filthy when we arrived and we suspect that the bed linen hadn’t been changed when the last occupant left (the bed smelled sweaty and musty)
>> Both our safe and our sink tap were broken and in both cases it took 3 attempts over 3 days before we got them repaired – the repair on the sink tap lasted about 3 days before it started leaking again
>> The service during the evening buffet is atrocious and it could take anywhere between 15 minutes and 45 minutes to get a drink – that’s not the fault of the waiters, who appear to be run off their feet and each one probably looked after about 40 people!
>> Evening entertainment leaves a lot to be desired and, as our Thomson representative aptly put it ‘..becomes just about bearable after a couple of vodkas’ – it was better than karaoke, but not much
>> You have to pay for the drinks in your minibar and they are cunning enough to use a different brand of water so that you can’t substitute it with free stuff – our minibar was only restocked once every 3 days
>> The food at the snack bars isn’t brilliant, the burgers are reprocessed meat (with very little meat content) and the salad, whilst mainly alright, would occasionally be black around the edges.
>> We were disappointed to find that of the 5 restaurants at the resort, 2 served identical food and the remaining 3 had to be paid for (which wasn't mentioned in the brochure!)
>> Pray that you don’t have to use the pharmacist – I became quite ill and he charged me 500% more than he should have for medication. Thankfully the hotel doctor and Thomson reps took his to task on it and I got some of my money back.

willenhall, west midlands
Reviewed 28 September 2009

Just returned from the Jaz Mirabel Beach (25.9.09) after a very enjoyable 11 days at this resort. In my opinion this hotel is very well run by its staff, very clean and provides everything you need for a relaxing holiday. The entertainment is quite good compared to other hotels I have been to in Egypt. I was amazed by the amount of small shops that were on site, enabling you not having to go off the site if you didn't want to; there is an HSBC bank which is not open on Fridays and also a chemist.

Our room was very comfortable and kept very clean by the maid, who was always about during the daytime if you needed anything for your room. You have a free safe in your room.

The reception staff were very helpful when we had problems with our card key, which didn't work on several occasion so they offered to move us to another room which was even better than the one we were in and was just on the floor below us, facing the pool and near to the snack bar, jacuzzi which is very impressive, the gym, restaurant and reception areas.

The waiters are very hardworking, they all have their own areas to work in and get to know you as soon as you arrive and will come to you as soon as you enter the bar and get your drinks, together with crisps and nuts. Admon Soliman and Mohamed El-Ziny usually waited on us and were both a credit to the hotel.

Plenty of beds round the pools and also on the beach. Waiter service on the beach if you want it or you can just go to the beach bar yourself. Sea very shallow for quite a way out as is the norm in Sharm el Sheikh.

We found the food to be very good and alway hot in the main restaurant and the waiters would always clear the table as soon as you left it so there are always available tables when you wanted them.

There is not much to criticise about this hotel apart from a few small petty things which in my opinion shouldn't happen at a 5* hotel, i.e. having to pay for drinks out of the fridge in your room, even the water and also having to pay for the al a carte restaurants, which were always empty.

DO NOT ORDER A DRINK AFTER MIDNIGHT. After asking for two small glasses of beer and was given a can of Stella between the two glasses I was charged the equivalent of £7 for this. On another occasion as it was a friends wedding anniversary I ordered 3 glasses of the equivalent of tia maria which didn't even cover the block of ice they put in the glass and was charged the equivalent of £22.

All in all we enjoyed our holiday at this hotel and would go back again.

Steve and Lynn

2 Thank backache01
Wokingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 September 2009

Pleasantly suprised by everthing as concerned about some peoples comments.- staff friendly and despite being August, no queues. I find it diificult to read some of the negative reviews and can't believe I went to the same hotel! Definately a 4* +. Personally, I often arrive at a hotel and feel 'awkward' to begin with. This was not the case at The Jazz Mirabel Beach- its so well spaced out to accomodate all tastes. Despite a hard working animation team, there was enough space to 'get away' from the music if wanted. The beach is lovely and the water is shallow but there have been many mentions of suggesting 'reef shoes' and these are certainly alot cheaper to buy in Uk. Beautifully presented food with plenty of choice if willing to try something a bit different. Did become a bit 'sameish' towards the end of the 10 days. The Rose wine was better than the white and the red in the restuarant tended to be cold. Despite it being Ramadam the staff retained their humour and dedication although it must have been very hard for them. It was accepted that at 6pm staffing ratios dipped slighty to allow for them to 'break their fast' and was a good time to get showered. Be aware that one of the two restuarants (both serving the same food) require long trousers for men with closed shoes. (Ladies appeared to be able to wear what they wanted except shorts).
'Mr Diver' school (based in the hotel) was excellent and very friendly and despite being slighly more expensive that Thompson trip, gave more one to one teaching which meant the 4 day PADI Open Water course was completed in 3 days with less time away from the rest of the family coming back at lunch time on each day. The family rooms were wonderful with a lovely walk in shower. If wanting to try kite surfing recommend guys at end of the the hotel as they give one to one too and go way over the allocated time and seemed genuinley happy to help you start.
One suggestion - keep the water bottles that are provided in the room fridges seperate from the ones you get at the hotel otherwise you end up being charged for them!
The only trip we went on (with 2 older teenagers) was the Quad experience. Sadly this was way over -subscribed meaning that we just followed the slowest person, the camel ride lasted 15 mins only and the 'beduoiun expereince part' was awkward as they wanted us to get up and dance and that was not what we wanted from the rtip. A lot of waiting around for not much 'experience'!
That aside the Thompson reps were fantastic and there twice a day and very knowledgeable. I would definitely go back for a lovely relaxing break. Gym and spa good- former one is free.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
#9 of 230 in Sharm El Sheikh
Steigenberger Alcazar
Steigenberger Alcazar
#7 of 32 in Nabq Bay

Been to Jaz Mirabel Beach? Share your experiences!