“Fantastic holiday”
Review of Jaz Mirabel Beach

Jaz Mirabel Beach
Ranked #21 of 33 Hotels in Nabq Bay
Reviewed 7 October 2009

Great hotel, very clean, friendly staff and food good and varied, something for everyone. We were nervous about staying here after reading some of the reviews. But we were more than happy with our stay here.It is more of a 4* than 5* but everyone tried to make our stay as pleasant as possible and we would go back again.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank SomersetDenzil

Reviewed 6 October 2009

Quite frankly it is beyond me why there are so many negative reviews about the Jaz Mirabel Beach. We booked our holiday there in April, fully 6 months before we travelled there after checking a lot of reviews for Sharm hotels, it was only later when we saw a lot of the bad reviews we started to get concerned, we needn’t have worried. This is an excellent resort, the staff are always friendly – from the waiters to the maintenance teams and gardeners. There are a lot of differences between an all inclusive holiday here and what you might find in the Caribbean, for example the mini bar in the room is not included and where bottled water is freely available for one or two bars in the resort, the water in the fridge is chargeable. We just saved our empty bottles and went to one of the bars each day and filled up half a dozen or so from the water machines to keep in the room. The Caribbean all inclusives cater mainly for US travellers who are more demanding than Europeans and therefore some of the comforts you would find there don’t apply in Egypt.

The food choice in the buffet restaurants is vast and changes every day, each day the theme changes – Mexican, Oriental, Fish, Egyptian, Italian etc. both the lunch and dinner menus are themed so there is always something different. Each night there is a pasta station and a different carvery. The breakfast menu is pretty much the same each day but the choice caters for everyone.

A lot of reviews here blame the food for the stomach problems, we had no such problems and I can’t believe any such problems are related to the food server, more likely too much sun, dehydration and handling the dirty Egyptian money is the cause.

The hotel’s entertainment team work long hours and can be seen around the pool from 9am up to around 4pm organising beach and pool activities, then they are in the hotel bars in the evening hosting some of the shows and also shows in the Amphitheatre and the Beach disco a couple of times a week. Most evenings there tends to be a local singer playing in one bar, whilst the other has a couple of shows, usually a themed show followed by games – karaoke, bingo, talent shows, that kind of thing. One thing to remember is there are a lot of other nationalities staying here – Russians are loud and can take over little bit. There are also a lot of Egyptians holidaying here and they all seem to have big families, they can take over the bar very quickly rearranging the tables and chairs so be prepared.

The waiter service in the restaurants and bars was always good. Once we were seated in the restaurant our drinks were always on the table by the time we got back from the buffet and many times in the bars I was stopped by the waiters while on my way to the bar and had my order taken, the bar staff work very hard, anyway it’s no great hardship to go to the bar yourself to get your drinks. It never took long to get served.

The rooms here are comfortable and cleaned every day, the beds are made daily and sometimes towel art is added to the bed, towels are also changed every day. TV’s in the room show plenty of English speaking channels – BBC World, Fox, CNN with the UAE channels also showing English speaking films. There are no tea/coffee facilities in the rooms so take a travel kettle if you need one, you can get sachets of tea and coffee from the restaurants.

We only went on 3 Thomson trips whilst there but would certainly recommend them. The Cleo water park, although quite small is ok and travelling in September was a little less busy so there were no queues. The Ultimate Desert Experience is great value, we left the hotel at 2.30pm and returned at 9pm. The trip includes quad biking, a camel ride and a full local show in a Bedouin tent, including food and drinks. The final trip was the VIP cruise which is a full day on a yacht leaving Sharm Marina and includes 3 snorkelling stops in either Ras Mohammed national park or the Tiran Strait coral reefs. There is plenty of room on the yacht to stretch out and lunch and drinks are included. This is a great day out.

Didn’t go to the beach much but as with other reviews take some rubber diving shoes or buy some in the hotel’s shop to walk on the coarse sand and coral, and watch out for the sea urchins in the shallow water, they do sting and leave a bruise on your feet if you’re not careful.

One thing to consider when checking out, especially if you have a night flight, is extending your room. The checkout time is 12 noon, we paid around £50 the day before leaving to keep our room so we could make full use of the last day before our coach picked us up at 7pm to go to the airport.

All in all I would recommend this hotel, by all means weigh up all the reviews but if you go with an open mind you will have a great time.

1  Thank cafc1962
Reviewed 6 October 2009

I was somewhat worried after reading the July/August reviews about cleanliness etc and pools being closed but they got better in September maybe because the resort wasn't as busy. Saying that, when we were there end Sept/Beg Oct, they were practically full with over 2000 people but you'd never think it. The resort is so huge that you'll always find somehwere to relax and you never have to 'bagsy' a sunbed as there are hundreds of them! We stayed at the beach most of the time as it was quieter and the breeze was wonderful and made sunbathing much easier in 35C heat. Room was basic but kept very clean and the huge shower (could easily fit 4 in it) was lovely. Our cleaner (all male) was very helpful and we gave him a tip half way through and at the end of the 11 days.

My only couple of niggles would be the food which was very repetitive so we ended going out a couple of nights - also just to be served - as going up to a buffet gets tedious. We ate in the Italian with our complimentary voucher and I'm afraid I thought it was our worst meal! We didn't have the pizza or pasta as we'd had plenty of that over the other meals so we ordered meat main courses which were basic to say the least. Plus their desserts were not 'italian' at all..they had the right names...Tiramisu etc but what was put in front of me was far removed from the Tiramisu I know! The people who said they had Pizza etc seemed to have enjoyed their meal. Went to TGI Fridays one night in Naama Bay which was fab..and cheaper than the UK I think.

If going to Naama Bay, use the hotel shuttle as it's much cheaper than taxis and you know what you're getting.

Trips: We did the VIP Cruise and the Ultimate Desert Experience....

VIP Cruise - I loved it as I love boats and they only book 25-30 people on a boat which can take about 45 so there's lots of room. The snorkelling wasn't so great on the first 2 stops but the last one (near the port) was great. Beautiful coloured coral and an abundance of exotic fish. Unfortunately we didn't get to see a turtle but the stingray and trigger fish made up for it. Lunch was nice and plenty of it. Soft drinks all day (no alcohol).
UDE: I thoroughly enjoyed the quads as I'm quite adventurous and have done it before but my friend is the opposite and didn't really enjoy it at all. She was nervous and quite slow and so felt the whole thing was quite a task. The camel ride was ok, it is what it is..the dinner and show were awful. Very basic and I didn't eat anything apart from the rice and pasta (I don't have a basic palette either). So we went to the hotel restaurant when we got back to eat. Our guide was fab and very knowledgable and spoke excellent English.

Beach: we loved the beach because we weren't into proper swimming or snorkelling so paddling in the shallows with no waves crashing on to you was fabulous. The water only goes to calf height at the deppest although there is a little dredged out area market with buoys ig you want something up to about waist height! If you're not walking out to the reef then flip flops will suffice on the rough sand.

Tipping/Haggling: Haggling is fun at first but starts to get very boring because you have to do it for everything, even in the pharmacy! Tipping - try not to get roped in to tipping all the time just because someone else is doing it. We saw two extremes. One family tipping ridiculously but yes, they did get very good service..but another family not tipping at all until the very end and having equally good service! We did a bit here and there and had no service problems.

Thomson Reps: We only really had interaction with Craig and we thought he was absolutely fab. We loved that they were in the hotel twice a day for long periods so no rushing to get to see your rep once every few days for a 1 hour slot! Craig was very courteous, knowledgable and friendly although he may not be there when you go as I think he is moving to Goa soon!

Helpful Hints:
1. When you arrive in the airport, it can be very confusing. Go straight to passport control UNLESS you want a visa (to go to Cairo or outside Sinai). If you want the visa, vere into the left hand queses where you will see Thomson and First Choice signs.
2. The driver loading your case onto the coach will hold out his hand and ask you for a tip - don't feel you have to but he will take a British £1 coin if you don'y have small Egyptian notes.
3. All inclusive finishes in the bars at midnight
4. Topless sunbathing - people do do it but it's not meant to be allowed and as it's a Muslim country it's frowned upon but your choice in the end. We didn't, just out of respect to the locals.
5. Beach party is great fun and good music - on twice a week.
6. If you want a much more upmarket evening out go to Soho Square near Sharks Bay BUT it will cost you dearly! 2 drinks cost £16 but you don't get hassled etc
7. Fake handbags - a lot of them are not even real leather even though they say they are so just take them for what they are. I bought two just because I liked the design - didn't matter to me if they were leather or not.
8. Hotel room hairdryer is good so you don't need to take your own if you don't want to
9. Laundry service is excellent and not very expensive compared to other 4* hotels.

Right - think that's all I have to say as I'm still a bit tired from the travelling as only got home at 4am this morning! Must just say hi to Matt & Jodi :-)

Have a wonderful holiday - there wasn't a cloud in the sky!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank CharlotteG1
Reviewed 3 October 2009

This was a really nice hotel, made even better by the friendly staff, give them a little tip now and then and they make your holiday even better, e.g. sit around the pool and have your drinks brought to you in large (pool safe) glasses, walk in to the bar and not even have to ask for a drink, it's brought straight to you.
The food was excellent apart from one night but that was more my taste than their cooking.
If you use the jetty next door to go snorkeling pay in Egyptian pounds not English pounds, that way it only works out at £3 instead of £4 but it's still worth it either way with four poster beds at the end to relax on with the noise of the waves to send you to sleep. The snorkeling is fantastic all the way along the coast with a wreck to go around (which is massive), millions of fish and turtles.
All in all a great hotel and we would recomend.
Excellent for kite surfers aswell.

Reviewed 1 October 2009

Well first of all may I say thank you to all the people that emailed me regarding the hotel, after reading some of the reviews I wondered if I had booked the right holiday. I would say that the hotel was not a 5 star platium, more like a 3/4 star, but it is a developing country for tourism, I did not find the staff rude, they were very polite and helpful, the food was varied and there was always somethink to eat, my husband is a fussy eater and he never went hungry,

The rooms were basic but having said that they were kept clean, the one thing that we were dreading was the tummy bug but neither me or my husband had it.

We were talking to a couple who had been to Sharm 5 years on the run, staying at different hotels an they said this one was the best,

If we did decide to go to Sharm again I would stay at this hotel as it was clean.

I was not impressed with the Thomson reps didnt have much time for you if you needed any questions answered.

If you need any questions answered please just asked and once again thank you to all the people who emailed me.

Reviewed 30 September 2009

Was a little worried after reading the reviews but I was pleasantly suprised....
The hotel and its grounds were very large and lush, very clean and the staff would bend over backwards for you, the entertainment was good - always something going on in the day but more relaxed with live singers at night.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone but if I had to have a moan it would be about the food and drink, not that it wasnt good but always the same - just varied slightly dailey and considering this was a 5* I was expecting more, there wasnt much variety on drinks either and larger and cocktails was served in plastic coca cola cups around the pool. Also there is a charge of £4.00 each to go onto the jetti to snorkle in the sea, which we thought was a little steep.
There are many shops to the hotel, again staff very helpful, try and make the 'beach party' on Tuesday nights - up to date music and atmosphere very good.
We really enjoyed this holiday - very relaxing and would recomend it to all.

2  Thank PatWolverhampton
Reviewed 30 September 2009

My wife and I have just returned from a two week all-inclusive vacation at this resort. Whilst overall our stay was quite pleasant, this resort is probably best described as a good 4* resort with 3* service (unless you’re willing to tip constantly) and we had a number of problems that wouldn’t have occurred in a true 5* resort. We wouldn’t go back (there were too many things we just didn’t like), but if you paid a 4* price (as we did, to be honest) and don’t mind getting a 4* resort instead of a 5* resort, then you’ll probably have a good time there.

Firstly, the good things about the resort:

>> It’s a large complex with a nice, cosmopolitan feel - the grounds are pretty, clean and well maintained as are the main public areas
>> There are a good number of pools stretching from the club house to the beach and there’s a bar within 100 yards of each pool – the private beach is superb and relatively quiet
>> There are plenty of sunbeds, both around the pools and on the private beach, and there’s plenty of space around them so you don’t feel hemmed-in – there were always plenty available, no matter what the time of day
>> In terms of food there’s always plenty of choice, with a wide array of meat, chicken, fish and vegetarian options – the quality is probably 4* though and you get some bizarre offerings (e.g. cold baked aubergine containing a small block of cold lasagne – bizarre!)
>> Many of the bar waiters and guest services staff are very attentive (although completely overworked)
>> We booked through Thomsons in the UK and their representatives were absolutely superb - they couldn’t have been more helpful and really made us feel special
>> The rooms (we booked a standard room) are spacious

...and now the negative points:

>> Our room was pretty tired, with plaster and paint falling off large areas (2m by 1m) of the wall – it was also filthy when we arrived and we suspect that the bed linen hadn’t been changed when the last occupant left (the bed smelled sweaty and musty)
>> Both our safe and our sink tap were broken and in both cases it took 3 attempts over 3 days before we got them repaired – the repair on the sink tap lasted about 3 days before it started leaking again
>> The service during the evening buffet is atrocious and it could take anywhere between 15 minutes and 45 minutes to get a drink – that’s not the fault of the waiters, who appear to be run off their feet and each one probably looked after about 40 people!
>> Evening entertainment leaves a lot to be desired and, as our Thomson representative aptly put it ‘..becomes just about bearable after a couple of vodkas’ – it was better than karaoke, but not much
>> You have to pay for the drinks in your minibar and they are cunning enough to use a different brand of water so that you can’t substitute it with free stuff – our minibar was only restocked once every 3 days
>> The food at the snack bars isn’t brilliant, the burgers are reprocessed meat (with very little meat content) and the salad, whilst mainly alright, would occasionally be black around the edges.
>> We were disappointed to find that of the 5 restaurants at the resort, 2 served identical food and the remaining 3 had to be paid for (which wasn't mentioned in the brochure!)
>> Pray that you don’t have to use the pharmacist – I became quite ill and he charged me 500% more than he should have for medication. Thankfully the hotel doctor and Thomson reps took his to task on it and I got some of my money back.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Nabq Bay
Royal Albatros Moderna Sharm el-Sheikh
Steigenberger Alcazar
Steigenberger Alcazar
#1 of 33 in Nabq Bay

Been to Jaz Mirabel Beach? Share your experiences!