“much better than expected”
Review of Jaz Mirabel Beach

Jaz Mirabel Beach
Ranked #24 of 32 Hotels in Nabq Bay
Beccles, Suffolk
“much better than expected”
Reviewed 10 September 2010

My husband and I stayed for 2 weeks during Aug 2010 with our 2 kids aged 11 & 6. After reading all the negative reviews before going, i was dreading the heat and the food, but I really do want to point out that absolutely everything was far better than i was expecting. (Apart from sharm airport which is hideous). The hotel and it's grounds are beautiful and our room was excellent. We had no problem with the food in the restaurants - we went mostly to the smaller one where gents need to wear long trousers in the evening as it's less busy and not as noisy. All the food was well cooked and I never saw any flies on any food as some have reported. The restaurant staff were all friendly and welcoming and I would like to stress that we received brilliant service from them all the time without any tipping because we were friendly and polite to them. The only down side to the food at the hotel was at the pool snack bars which had dirty tables and the most revolting chicken burgers ever (mashed up offal and bones i reckon!). But you don't have to eat at them for lunch so not a problem to avoid. We had a lovely chap cleaning our room who made animals from towels almost every day (again without tips!), the best being a crocodile with our son's teddy bear in it's mouth - brilliant! We left him a tip at the end of our hol. The Animation team worked hard keeping everyone entertained - some much more friendly than others. Ashlee, Zalina & Figo were our faves. We were invisible to Sam (the Ashley Cole look-a-like) as none of our family was a hot 20 year old female.
Our daughter had her 11th birthday during our holiday and the hotel left a lovely note for her and a huge slice of choc cake in our room.
The beach was lovely - my husband and daughter enjoyed snorkelling alot and we all saw some amazing fish, but you definately need aqua shoes. We soon adapted to the heat, some days there was a strong breeze. Lots of water and shade then there's not a problem.
We went a few times to the hotel next door to use the water slides which were great, and I used the spa and jacuzzi which was a real treat.
Regarding dodgy tums, the only one to escape was our 6 year old son who isn't adventurous with his food. I took some Imodium with us along with some re-hydration sachets which proved invaluable - we didn't therefore need a doctor as we sorted it ourselves. We weren't ill at all - just had a 2 minute warning to get to a loo. All cleared up in 24 hours.
This was our first visit to Egypt and we would return to the Jaz Mirabel.

1 Thank NickyP1971

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,279)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 September 2010

We have recently returned from Jaz Mirabel Beach and it was the worst holiday we have ever had. Having always stayed at 5 Star hotels i found this this one was awful, the service was very poor and staff are the worst i have come across so RUDE.On arriving a man helping the coach drivers unload the luggage insisted on lifting our cases off the coach and held out his hand for a tip,we tried to explain we had no loose change, to which we were cursed and shouted at which was very intimidating.Once we arrived at the hotel the reception area looked very well kept and very clean we were happy at this point as it looked very welcoming.The rooms were fine they could have been a bit cleaner,but beds were comfy and the male maid does a fantastic job creating towel art which my children thought was great. On our first day our safe broke with all our belongings inside so we had to request a service guy to come and fix (twice) it took him 6 hours to arrive and finally changed the batterys, he waited around for a tip which we felt should not have been expected as it was a fault and we had waisted half a day waiting around my husband felt he had to give something to get rid of him so gave him 20 E-pounds as we still had nothing smaller in change.
After 3 days i developed the dreaded 'Delhi Belly '-stomach cramps and diarrohea.Iam very cautious using hand gel and wipes and ensuring the cutlery was clean so im convinced it was the food as i ate a lot of salad from the cold buffet but my family only ate the cooked foods.-NOT HAPPY
The buffet restaurants were awful we had to constantly wait for clean bowls and plates and for the waiter's to clean the tables and take drink orders.The food was not 5 star quality very repetitive and the kids choices were chips and veg every day.I think in the 10 days we were there we had 2 decent meals.The snack bar staff were quick to serve you but not very happy,no service with a smile and often forgot some of your order so you had to ask again but felt like you were putting them out.The waiters serving at the bars in the hotel all appeared to have attitudes not making any eye contact or ignoring you when your waiting to be served sometimes we would have to wait for up to 15 mins even tho we were at the front of the que. Also staff were very rude and disrepectful, talking about you in there own language which is very uncomfortable .Some holiday makers seemed to receive special treatment waiters attending them all the time, obviously they were tipping to keep staff happy, which i feel is wrong as having paid £3500 for our holiday you do expect some service. We dont mind tipping but we normally do it once a service has been provided and normally at the end of our stay.
The pool was closed every day for someone was 'POOING' in the pool which was disgusting, staff thought it was very amusing.Even our first trip to the beach to snorkel in the amazing red sea had 'POO' floating in it .I couldn't wait to return home after this dissapointing holiday. On arriving at S.E.S airport it was utter kaos it took 2 hours to get through check in and passport control,what a nightmare. The toilets had no loo roll,no soap and the hand dryers didn't work either.I do think Thomson should have advised people travelling to Egypt that it was Ramadan as i do believe this had a lot to do with the poor quality of service provided and the lack of happy staff, they only smile when you tip them you feel as though you are putting them out every time you request something.The lack of evening entertainment meant we went back to our rooms most nights and watched a movie.All in all this was our 1st time in Egypt and it will be our last I do not recommend this hotel and think the 5 star rating needs to be changed to 3 Star.

2 Thank Sah025
Surrey
Reviewed 9 September 2010

The hotel was beautiful and the grounds were stunning. The beach is gravel and really hurts your feet to walk on, and the sea is very shallow for miles. The hotel next door has a jetty, but dont pay its easy to walk out and climb up jetty, when no one is looking.

Our room was cleaned everyday however after a few days our ceiling began to leak after we had a shower, I reported this to reception who came and "repaired" the pipes that were blocking. This happened again and again and in the end we gave up and just put towels on the floor to stop the leaks. Our view was amazing although we did overlook the hotel next door who were carrying out building works, between 12am and 5am. I reported this to reception and warned that we were not getting any sleep and would request to be moved if it continued, however it didnt happen again for the rest of the holiday.

The food was shocking and the service for drinks at lunch and dinner was non-existent unless you tipped. I found this disgusting that I should tip a waiter to get access to drinks that I had already paid for, and I refused to do this. The hotel should have a self service policy for drinks in the restaurant, like they have at breakfast. We would get our food and then eat and wait another 10 mins before we would get any drinks that we asked for. I even tried going up to the bar and asking for the drinks myself and was point blankely refused and told to go back to my table and wait for his colleague! The food was really bad and I know that others felt the same, thank god for Mcdonalds Delivery otherwise we would never have survived. The pasta station was fast and quick but tasted like the sauce was made with dish water, the meat was not cooked and the rice was stogy and cold. I didnt touch the salad that included flies and the fish that was carried through from lunch.

The hotel location is quite isolated and we would have to get a taxi to La Strada the nearest shopping area. We visited Old market and naama bay and both are about a 25 minute drive from the hotel.

I didnt get any tummy upset nor did my partner however on my last day fell ill with flu symptons which I am still suffering with 3 days later. I believe this was caught from the pool and the disgusting people who were blowing their childrens noses in the pool.

The hotel has 3 really big pools and you can use the Mirabel Park next door that has water slides, however you cannot drink or eat in that hotel which is ridiculous.

The reception staff try to help but can be quite rude and unhelpful when you question their answers. I couldnt check in for my flight home because the hotels laptop was broken and the Mirabel Club and Park's were also broken. They got really rude when I asked them to help me further.

I would return to the hotel but not on a All Inclusive basis, its not worth it!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 September 2010

This is Thomsons flagship in Sharm El Sheikh, and their brochures rate it as 5*.
I was unable to provide an accurate rating, as minus figures don't exist. I checked in around 10pm, together with my two sisters, we take a late August break together every year. We asked the male (all the staff in Egypt are male!) receptionist if any restaurants were still open, he handed us our room keys and a minute folder and informed us that the porter would give us a tour of the hotel by golf buggy, no response to the question. The porter was only able to provide limited information in english, he did not understand our requests and hense no food till breakfast next day. Had a Thomson rep been attached to our group at the airport this would not have happened. We arrived at our room, it had not been cleaned properly, when taking off my dark trousers the bottoms draped along the floor which, covered them in dirt, fluff and dust. The bathroom was similar but that also smelt of dirty drains. The covers over the beds and the curtains looked as if they had originally been props off the Casablanca set (1940's). There were two main restaurants serving the same buffet style food, somewhat like they used to serve up in the forces and with a similar taste too. If you eat cold food, get there when the doors open as once it's been on display for a while, the flies have already taken their share. Needless to say that we have all had to visit our dr's with severe gastric problems. The male staff in general discriminated against us, as we were three women alone, we were expected to wait until they were ready to serve us and also move out of their way when they wished to pass, this caused many problems as we had no intention of paying top price for a holiday to be treated how they treat Egyptian women. The pool areas and bars was only cleaned once during our week, vast numbers of fruit flies were present on our clothes, bodies and anything that moved. The actual beach is man made with building sand/grit, we had to walk out for 3/4 hour in water ranging from 6inches to 1foot, over very rough coral and thousands of sea urchins to even reach what resembled the sea. Back to Turkey next year, where 5* is what it says and the waitors are happy with any guest who is prepared to give them a tip.

1 Thank egyptiannights
Chatham, kent
Reviewed 5 September 2010

We returned home 2/9/10 - to begin with we thought the complex was too big however, there was plenty of room around the pools and plenty of sunbeds to go round. We travelled with friends and we all suffered fronm the tummy problem but must stress that the intense heat is definetly the main cause of this but having been to Egypt last year knew that a visit to the pharmacy, plenty of shade and lots of water sorts it out
The entertainment team were superb and performed a great job - a HUGE THANKS go out to ASHLEE - QUEEN OF ENTERTAINMENT - and to Sam, Mesho(DJ), to name a few. You all work so hard - keep it up!!!
The food was good with variety but must say that the service in the restaurant for drinks was very poor. Oanly one problem - we asked the chef in the main restaurant to make a plain cheese pizza for our son, and he said if you want pizza go to the Italian - i thought that you could ask for them to make you something and they would but not on this occasion.
We had great service from our room cleaner .
The pools are very well maintained and very clean - we only stayed by the pool that has Water Polo etc going on.
The service fronm the 3 Reps was fantastic and they were always available when they said they would be at the hotel. A big "well done" to Katie for the way in which she dealt with our cancelled flight last week - you kept your cool all the time in dealing with some very difficult people.
The service at main reception should be improved - they don't really seem like they were interested - good job Maria is about to help - Thanks Maria!!!
Overall the holiday was superb and we very much enjoyed our stay but without Ashlee and HER TEAM!!! we would have been bored!!!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 September 2010

I give all of my credit to the entertainment team! Ashlee is the most amazing person in the animation team and is very helpful. She keeps the children entertained and loves her job! Overall, the hotel, swimming pools, waterslides, staff and entertainment were absoloutely amazing! The pools were closed on a few occasions during the week due to "accidents" but apart from that, there werent any problems. I would definetely reccomend this hotel to everyone and I would most definitly go back again :)

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 September 2010

We have just got back from a weeks stay at the Jaz Mirabel Beach Hotel and I'm sorry to say that all the reviews I read before we went are true :(

The moment you walk into the reception, you really do think you have booked into a 5* Platinum hotel. Unfortunately, as soon as you walk out of the doors at the back, you soon realise all is not as glamourous.

I travelled with my partner and 3 year old daughter and booked a family room. We also requested a quiet room on the top floor - we got a middle floor room and definately not a quiet room!!

ROOMS: First impressions of the room were good; spacious and nice view of the gardens and pool. Where ever we stay, we always take anti-bacterial wipes with us (most definately needed in Eygpt!!) so my partner gave the bathroom the once over. We were horrified with the colour of the cloth after a quick wipe of the bathroom counter. It was even worse when he wiped the floor - certainly not what you expect when booking 5*. The bedding wasn't too bad, but the furniture in the room was very stained and looking quite worn. The air conditioning was a godsend but strangely, it got too cold during the night to have it on! A mini-bar is supplied in the room but it will cost you! We used 2 bottles of water and a couple of cartons of juice and it cost us 65 egyptian pounds (approx £7.00).

FOOD: As most other people have said on here, the food was OK and I'm glad we were only there for a week; any longer and it would have got very boring. We had 2 vouchers that enabled us to eat in the Asian & Italian resturant, which gave us a break from the buffet evening meal. I was amazed at the lack of fresh fruit. The most I saw was bananas, apples, pears & peaches. Don't expect to get your 5-a-day at this hotel!!! I also suffered with the tummy bug and was confined to the hotel room for a day. I let the bug take it's course and took diarraeha tablets towards the end of the day. I was ill on the Saturday and I'm still not 100% now and it's the following Friday.

BUFFET RESTURANTS: There are 2 main buffet resturants, and in one of them men have to wear long trousers and sleeved shirts - something that is NOT stated on the Thompsons website. The staff all work hard, but if you do not tip the waiters, your table can end up looking like carnage when you leave!! We generally had the same waiter, Mohammad, and he did look after us well, which we tipped him for and he seemed genuinely thankful, but we did it at the end of our holiday, not at every meal.

DRINKS: Usual all inclusive stuff really. Be careful when ordering drinks from the pool bars - I'm not convinced they actually chuck the plastic cups away. Drinks from the bars on the beach are also served in plastic cups and the bar staff were seen tipping leftover coke into another cup and putting onto the bar for someone else - NICE!!

ENTERTAINMENT: Hmmmmmmmmmm, not really sure what to say about the entertainment other than LOUD!!!! They had a live singer, if you can call him a singer, most evenings and it was as if he was in the room with us! This went on from 9pm until midnight and our quiet room wasn't so quiet! The entertainment during the day was pretty naff and was the same everyday. We tended to stay by the pools near the beach as they were less busy and far more quiet.

POOLS: We were lucky and didn't experience and Poo incidents! We spent most of the day in the pool as it was so hot, but they never become so busy you couldn't move!

BEACH: My daugher was disappointed she couldn't build a sandcastle but the sea and fish certainly made up for it. If you do go to this hotel, you HAVE to go off the jetty and see the amazing fish - it's just like looking into a fish tank, absolutely amazing. You have to pay to use the jetty (it belongs to the hotel next door) but you can walk beside it and go up the steps which are about half way along. My partner managed to get off the end of the jetty without paying, but the next day we went again and got turned away for not having a ticket!! You will HAVE to have beaach shoes aswell as the sand is just broken shells! Also, DO NOT take any shells or dead coral from the beach - you will be fined upto £1000 per piece if found in your luggage. We found this out on the way to the airport!

GENERAL SERVICE: Not brilliant. The batteries in our safe ran out which we reported so they sent one of the Bell Boys, who took the old batteries out, put them back in again and said "there, it's working now". Of course it worked once then went again. The first chap who came said we would have phone again when we were back in the room to get it sorted. We phoned again explaining that the batteries had run out and were told we would have wait an hour!! After a heated discussion, someone was with us in 5 minutes. Again, he took the batteries out, put them back in again and he too said "there, it's working now"!!! Eventually we got the batteries changed but it meant us having to hang around the room for over half an hour.

REPS: Waste of time!! Only ever seemed to be 1 on duty so you found yourself waiting around and by the time it was your turn, you had forgotten what you went there for!!!!

WEATHER: Amazing. in the 40's everyday so yes, it was hot, but if you go to Egypt in August you have to expect it. Make sure you take plenty of sun cream and apply it regulary and definately take a hat!

AIRPORT: Absoultely disgusting - thats all I can really say about it. Make sure you have anti-bacterial wipes with you and hand sanitiser if you use the toilets and be prepared to get wee on your feet as it's all over the floor!!

To top all this off, our flight home to Bristol was cancelled, so we (and the other people on the flight) found ourselves back at the Jaz Mirabel Beach were the service was less than acceptable. It felt like because we were not paying guests anymore, they really couldn't be bothered and make any exeptions with regards to opening the bar for water and coffee before the "official" bar opening hours!!

So, to sum up this holiday: The weather & snorkelling were definately 5*,everything else struggled to get over 3* in our opinion. If your thinking about going to the Jaz Mirabel, I would look elsewhere, if you've already booked - I'm sorry!!!!

1 Thank Pearny
Rixos Seagate Sharm
Rixos Seagate Sharm
#1 of 32 in Nabq Bay
Royal Albatros Moderna Sharm el-Sheikh

Been to Jaz Mirabel Beach? Share your experiences!