“Terrible - DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!”
Review of Jaz Mirabel Beach

Jaz Mirabel Beach
Ranked #24 of 32 Hotels in Nabq Bay
Leeds
“Terrible - DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!”
Reviewed 12 September 2010

This is by no means a 5* resort!! I advise anyone considering spending good money on a holiday to look elsewhere.

I have just returned from a one week stay at this resort with my family ( including a 3 year old child). We went with open minds despite reading bad reviews on this website. However, within 5 minutes of arriving at Jaz Mirabel we could see why it had received bad press. The bellboys could not organise our cases to be sent to our rooms and stood shouting at each other in front of us for 20 minutes. When we eventually arrived at our rooms we were horrified at the level of cleanliness. It was by no means 5*!!
- The bedsheets were bobbly and stained
-The curtains were dirty and hanging offf the rails
- The surfaces were covered in a thick layer of dust, hair and dirt
- The bathrooms were disgusting - they looked like they'd barely been cleaned this past year!

We decided that this was unacceptable and wanted to change hotels. We had heard about the level of sickness that this hotel has and it was clear why. With a young child with us, we didnt want to risk illness....especially seeing as we had paid £4000 for the privaledge!
We called the Thomson 24hr holiday line and were advised that we would be able to switch hotels but would have to wait until the morning to speak to a Thomson Rep and look at the Brochure for an alternative. We did this but....to cut a long story short, were told that there were no alternative hotels and so we had to endure a week at this hotel. The reps treated us as if we were an annoyance. When challenging the 5* rating of this hotel we were told "thats your opinion".

During our week stay the pool was closed on 3 occasions as there was POO in it!!!! The poolside was rarely cleaned and the bars were filthy.
The food was ok in the buffet restaurants. There are 2 restaurants, one quieter than the other. The larger, busier restaurant resembles a work site canteen. It was a mad rush to get any food and if you did manage you then had to try and find a table that was clean. Needless to say there was food all over the walls and on the floor. Something you wouldnt expect at any hotel - never mind a platinum resort.

We received good service in the quieter buffet - this was only because my Dad gave generous tips. It seems this is essential if you want to get good service.

3 out of the 4 of our party became very ill during our stay - including my 3 year old nephew. The doctor diagnosed it as food poisoning. Speaks for itself.

This was meant to be a relaxing family holiday...it was anything but. I would advise anyone against staying here.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
4 Thank holibags2010

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,283)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 September 2010

Went to the Mirabel Beach with a friend looking to chill out,have a laugh and of course get a decent tan!! Got that and so much more..The cleanliness,food and service are of a high standard..The staff are very friendly and can't do enough for you, all you need to do is smile and say hello and it makes their day..We must single out the Animation team who were excellent in keeping the guests entertained and they became friends..Everyone says about being sick while you're there and we were no exception,however just go to the local pharmacy and you will be ok within the day..It certainly is money well worth spent and can't wait to go back there next year..

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sweetcheeks74
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 September 2010

I've just returned from my holiday and thought it was brilliant. The hotel was of top quality-all the pools were lovely, food was nice, spa with perfect but reception need to bump their standard up too. Unfortunately the Blue Bar outside by the pool at night can be very dangerous as there is practically no light on the steps and i helped a lady after she tripped over the steps because of the light situation- we found out she had broke her ankle and it had ruined her holiday break for her birthday.

There were activities every day held by the animation team, Ashlee one of the members did all she could to help keep guests amused and help them enjoy every part of their holiday- day + night. She was the only one of poolside with energy when doing her activities and making guest contacts and always had a smile on her face which was lovely to see.
A family we got friendly with had young children, so when taking them to the kids club at first we weren't sure, but when we got there we were greeted by a happy, bubbly and very friendly person, Chelsea. She was great with all the kids and 'on their level' throughout the day. I also saw Chelsea working in the evenings too, 24/7 she was happy and approachable for anyone to ask her anything. Both Chelsea and Ashlee made my holiday a great experience and really should be praised for their hard work! Even when on their lunch breaks they were always happy to help..unfortunatly I can't say the same for the rest of the team.

Overall i think the hotel is lovely and staff are very friendly, ladies the men seem to be extra friendly but it's just their culture and you quickly are amused and warm to it- mum + daughters be prepared for the males who work there to ask you if you're sisters hundreds of times.

Every place you go has it's positives and negatives but this hotel is great and I’m sure I’ll be returning next year, remember just because the staff nod..Doesn’t mean they understand!!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank Meat_10
Beccles, Suffolk
Reviewed 10 September 2010

My husband and I stayed for 2 weeks during Aug 2010 with our 2 kids aged 11 & 6. After reading all the negative reviews before going, i was dreading the heat and the food, but I really do want to point out that absolutely everything was far better than i was expecting. (Apart from sharm airport which is hideous). The hotel and it's grounds are beautiful and our room was excellent. We had no problem with the food in the restaurants - we went mostly to the smaller one where gents need to wear long trousers in the evening as it's less busy and not as noisy. All the food was well cooked and I never saw any flies on any food as some have reported. The restaurant staff were all friendly and welcoming and I would like to stress that we received brilliant service from them all the time without any tipping because we were friendly and polite to them. The only down side to the food at the hotel was at the pool snack bars which had dirty tables and the most revolting chicken burgers ever (mashed up offal and bones i reckon!). But you don't have to eat at them for lunch so not a problem to avoid. We had a lovely chap cleaning our room who made animals from towels almost every day (again without tips!), the best being a crocodile with our son's teddy bear in it's mouth - brilliant! We left him a tip at the end of our hol. The Animation team worked hard keeping everyone entertained - some much more friendly than others. Ashlee, Zalina & Figo were our faves. We were invisible to Sam (the Ashley Cole look-a-like) as none of our family was a hot 20 year old female.
Our daughter had her 11th birthday during our holiday and the hotel left a lovely note for her and a huge slice of choc cake in our room.
The beach was lovely - my husband and daughter enjoyed snorkelling alot and we all saw some amazing fish, but you definately need aqua shoes. We soon adapted to the heat, some days there was a strong breeze. Lots of water and shade then there's not a problem.
We went a few times to the hotel next door to use the water slides which were great, and I used the spa and jacuzzi which was a real treat.
Regarding dodgy tums, the only one to escape was our 6 year old son who isn't adventurous with his food. I took some Imodium with us along with some re-hydration sachets which proved invaluable - we didn't therefore need a doctor as we sorted it ourselves. We weren't ill at all - just had a 2 minute warning to get to a loo. All cleared up in 24 hours.
This was our first visit to Egypt and we would return to the Jaz Mirabel.

1 Thank NickyP1971
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 September 2010

We have recently returned from Jaz Mirabel Beach and it was the worst holiday we have ever had. Having always stayed at 5 Star hotels i found this this one was awful, the service was very poor and staff are the worst i have come across so RUDE.On arriving a man helping the coach drivers unload the luggage insisted on lifting our cases off the coach and held out his hand for a tip,we tried to explain we had no loose change, to which we were cursed and shouted at which was very intimidating.Once we arrived at the hotel the reception area looked very well kept and very clean we were happy at this point as it looked very welcoming.The rooms were fine they could have been a bit cleaner,but beds were comfy and the male maid does a fantastic job creating towel art which my children thought was great. On our first day our safe broke with all our belongings inside so we had to request a service guy to come and fix (twice) it took him 6 hours to arrive and finally changed the batterys, he waited around for a tip which we felt should not have been expected as it was a fault and we had waisted half a day waiting around my husband felt he had to give something to get rid of him so gave him 20 E-pounds as we still had nothing smaller in change.
After 3 days i developed the dreaded 'Delhi Belly '-stomach cramps and diarrohea.Iam very cautious using hand gel and wipes and ensuring the cutlery was clean so im convinced it was the food as i ate a lot of salad from the cold buffet but my family only ate the cooked foods.-NOT HAPPY
The buffet restaurants were awful we had to constantly wait for clean bowls and plates and for the waiter's to clean the tables and take drink orders.The food was not 5 star quality very repetitive and the kids choices were chips and veg every day.I think in the 10 days we were there we had 2 decent meals.The snack bar staff were quick to serve you but not very happy,no service with a smile and often forgot some of your order so you had to ask again but felt like you were putting them out.The waiters serving at the bars in the hotel all appeared to have attitudes not making any eye contact or ignoring you when your waiting to be served sometimes we would have to wait for up to 15 mins even tho we were at the front of the que. Also staff were very rude and disrepectful, talking about you in there own language which is very uncomfortable .Some holiday makers seemed to receive special treatment waiters attending them all the time, obviously they were tipping to keep staff happy, which i feel is wrong as having paid £3500 for our holiday you do expect some service. We dont mind tipping but we normally do it once a service has been provided and normally at the end of our stay.
The pool was closed every day for someone was 'POOING' in the pool which was disgusting, staff thought it was very amusing.Even our first trip to the beach to snorkel in the amazing red sea had 'POO' floating in it .I couldn't wait to return home after this dissapointing holiday. On arriving at S.E.S airport it was utter kaos it took 2 hours to get through check in and passport control,what a nightmare. The toilets had no loo roll,no soap and the hand dryers didn't work either.I do think Thomson should have advised people travelling to Egypt that it was Ramadan as i do believe this had a lot to do with the poor quality of service provided and the lack of happy staff, they only smile when you tip them you feel as though you are putting them out every time you request something.The lack of evening entertainment meant we went back to our rooms most nights and watched a movie.All in all this was our 1st time in Egypt and it will be our last I do not recommend this hotel and think the 5 star rating needs to be changed to 3 Star.

2 Thank Sah025
Surrey
Reviewed 9 September 2010

The hotel was beautiful and the grounds were stunning. The beach is gravel and really hurts your feet to walk on, and the sea is very shallow for miles. The hotel next door has a jetty, but dont pay its easy to walk out and climb up jetty, when no one is looking.

Our room was cleaned everyday however after a few days our ceiling began to leak after we had a shower, I reported this to reception who came and "repaired" the pipes that were blocking. This happened again and again and in the end we gave up and just put towels on the floor to stop the leaks. Our view was amazing although we did overlook the hotel next door who were carrying out building works, between 12am and 5am. I reported this to reception and warned that we were not getting any sleep and would request to be moved if it continued, however it didnt happen again for the rest of the holiday.

The food was shocking and the service for drinks at lunch and dinner was non-existent unless you tipped. I found this disgusting that I should tip a waiter to get access to drinks that I had already paid for, and I refused to do this. The hotel should have a self service policy for drinks in the restaurant, like they have at breakfast. We would get our food and then eat and wait another 10 mins before we would get any drinks that we asked for. I even tried going up to the bar and asking for the drinks myself and was point blankely refused and told to go back to my table and wait for his colleague! The food was really bad and I know that others felt the same, thank god for Mcdonalds Delivery otherwise we would never have survived. The pasta station was fast and quick but tasted like the sauce was made with dish water, the meat was not cooked and the rice was stogy and cold. I didnt touch the salad that included flies and the fish that was carried through from lunch.

The hotel location is quite isolated and we would have to get a taxi to La Strada the nearest shopping area. We visited Old market and naama bay and both are about a 25 minute drive from the hotel.

I didnt get any tummy upset nor did my partner however on my last day fell ill with flu symptons which I am still suffering with 3 days later. I believe this was caught from the pool and the disgusting people who were blowing their childrens noses in the pool.

The hotel has 3 really big pools and you can use the Mirabel Park next door that has water slides, however you cannot drink or eat in that hotel which is ridiculous.

The reception staff try to help but can be quite rude and unhelpful when you question their answers. I couldnt check in for my flight home because the hotels laptop was broken and the Mirabel Club and Park's were also broken. They got really rude when I asked them to help me further.

I would return to the hotel but not on a All Inclusive basis, its not worth it!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 September 2010

This is Thomsons flagship in Sharm El Sheikh, and their brochures rate it as 5*.
I was unable to provide an accurate rating, as minus figures don't exist. I checked in around 10pm, together with my two sisters, we take a late August break together every year. We asked the male (all the staff in Egypt are male!) receptionist if any restaurants were still open, he handed us our room keys and a minute folder and informed us that the porter would give us a tour of the hotel by golf buggy, no response to the question. The porter was only able to provide limited information in english, he did not understand our requests and hense no food till breakfast next day. Had a Thomson rep been attached to our group at the airport this would not have happened. We arrived at our room, it had not been cleaned properly, when taking off my dark trousers the bottoms draped along the floor which, covered them in dirt, fluff and dust. The bathroom was similar but that also smelt of dirty drains. The covers over the beds and the curtains looked as if they had originally been props off the Casablanca set (1940's). There were two main restaurants serving the same buffet style food, somewhat like they used to serve up in the forces and with a similar taste too. If you eat cold food, get there when the doors open as once it's been on display for a while, the flies have already taken their share. Needless to say that we have all had to visit our dr's with severe gastric problems. The male staff in general discriminated against us, as we were three women alone, we were expected to wait until they were ready to serve us and also move out of their way when they wished to pass, this caused many problems as we had no intention of paying top price for a holiday to be treated how they treat Egyptian women. The pool areas and bars was only cleaned once during our week, vast numbers of fruit flies were present on our clothes, bodies and anything that moved. The actual beach is man made with building sand/grit, we had to walk out for 3/4 hour in water ranging from 6inches to 1foot, over very rough coral and thousands of sea urchins to even reach what resembled the sea. Back to Turkey next year, where 5* is what it says and the waitors are happy with any guest who is prepared to give them a tip.

1 Thank egyptiannights
#10 of 230 in Sharm El Sheikh
Steigenberger Alcazar
Steigenberger Alcazar
#6 of 32 in Nabq Bay

Been to Jaz Mirabel Beach? Share your experiences!