“Couldn't have asked for more from a Hotel!”
Review of Sharm Grand Plaza

Sharm Grand Plaza
Ranked #17 of 33 Hotels in Nabq Bay
Reviewed 4 July 2011

I am wondering if some of these bad reviews were written about another hotel as they are nothing like the Sharm Grand Plaza I've just visited. I travelled to Sharm with my friend (two girls) and found the hotel staff to be courteous, kind, polite and helpful at all times. From the moment you arrive nothing is too much trouble, the reception staff and concierge (Mohamed) make you feel welcome straight away. The Hotel food, facilities, cleanliness and staff were excellent. Everyday there was an army of staff cleaning (Thank you for a spotless room at all times Alaa) and maintaining the beautiful grounds and rooms. The restaurant service was second to none (Thank you Karim) and worked like a well oiled machine to make sure plates were cleared and tables available. The food was excellent and plentiful, even the fussiest of eaters would find something to their taste. The hotel has 5 pools as well as a beautiful private beach so you are never lost for somewhere to relax. They do play music at certain times on the beach but if you move away from the beach bar you can't hear it. The top pool (Nino Bar pool) is a quiet pool so if you wish to escape the sales patter there is somewhere to go. Yes, there are people selling scuba diving/beauty treatments/excursions on the beach but all are friendly and speak good English and love chatting if you don't wish to chat/buy simply say no politely and they will go away. All in all I have returned from my holiday relaxed and happy and would recommend the Sharm Grand Plaza to anyone, it is a beautiful hotel and I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
8  Thank Vik27
HMHG, Manager at Sharm Grand Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2011

Dear our valued guest ,

We are very glad that you enjoyed our hospitality and that services provided did meet you expectations.
We are looking forward to welcome you again and like to thank you in advance for recommending Sharm Grand Plaza Resort.

The Management

Write a ReviewReviews (4,384)

Reviewed 28 June 2011

Having stayed in a 5 star hotel in Sharm as recently as March 2011 we were particularly disappointed with three aspects to this hotel. Firstly we were unable to use the facilities at Nino pool, reception or Palmero restaurant due to stairs and steep ramps which need to be negotiated, no mention of access problems on hotel website. This problem could be easily resolved by installing a small lift between Riviera restaurant lobby and reception level.
Secondly for the first three days of our holiday we found the service in Riviera restaurant to be virtually non-existent apparently due to staff shortages. The few staff available were primarily engaged in clearing and re-setting tables and several times we left our table to collect next course and returned to find it cleared and re-occupied. The food service area is badly laid out with horde of people carrying hot food, including children, moving in all directions, spilling food onto floor and barging into each other.
This improved slightly but only after feedback to food & bev. manager who detailed a waiter to look after us and offered several comp. meals from the set menu in Falfalel restuarant, which was fine except for the fact that the set menu was the same every night and despite repeated attempts we were unable to obtain an a la carte menu from the restaurant staff, and the fish restaurant appeared to be permanantly closed.
Thirdly we have never stayed in a4 or 5 star hotel which did not provide tea & coffee making facilities as a matter of course, even Travelodge does this. However they did offer this on room service at a charge of 10 euros. We decided to order this but for three days they could not provide a kettle but did offer to send tea & coffee sachets minu a kettle!!! After the intervention of the food & bev. manager once again this was provided but kettle was leaking badly over electric base- very dangerous. Further two days before replacement provided but tea/coffee supplies were never topped up. Food & bev. manager cancelled charges for this service.
Positive points!! Hotel grounds are beautiful & spotlessly clean as is the beach. Our room was excellent, cleaned daily with fresh towels & linen & avery pleasant sea view. All staff friendly & approachable with one or two exceptions. Snacks at Luna bar very good, lunch @ Grill room very good with excellent service as is set menu @ Falafel restuarant excellent waiters & service in direct contrast to main Riviera restaurant. Members of staff who were very pleasant & helpful were food & bev. manager, [Mr. Saffra?] and Hossam at Luna bar, although he appeared to be both understaffed and overworked, particularly in trying to provide drink glasses, a task he was not helped with as guests repeatedly took glasses to their room and could not be bothered to return them and then complained at the shortage of glasses and consequent queues.
Overall the holiday could have been better particularly if hotel concentrated as much as they appear to do with throughput. Will not return, far better hotels available.

Dear valued guest ,

Thank you for visiting our resort and thank you for posting your feedback, firstly we are very sorry that our services did not meet fully your expectations .We have been reading carefully your comments, please note below.
Your remark on installing a Lift has been noted, however this is the first time such a request is made in 5 years of operation and we feel that with having only a total of ground plus 2 floors this is not required, also there are many possible accesses towards Nino Pool and the one steep ramp can be avoided if on wishes. All arriving guests receive a property map in which all passages are listed.
Your point on coffee making facilities is well taken and we defiantly will rectify this issue as the non-availability is not acceptable. Kindly accept our apologies on this issue.
For your information, the Starfish Restaurant has not been closed at any time but during this time of the year due to the heat clients prefer to dine in the air-conditioned Falafal Restaurant and we are serving there also the menu from Starfish, though on request, as it will create a logistical issue. We are a bit surprised on your statement that there is no a la carte menu at Falafal available, as we do have it. Perhaps there was a language barrier or a mis-understanding of some sort, unfortunately our investigation on this matter did not conclude into a clear result.
Dear guest we would like to thank you again for staying with us and do hope that you change your mind and give Sharm Grand Plaza another chance in the hopefully not so distant future.
The Management

Reviewed 24 June 2011

Have just come back from spending 2 weeks at this hotel with my husband and 1 year old daughter, when we arrived my initial thoughts were that the hotel and staff were lovely, our suitcases were taken to our room and we were greeted by more than 3 or 4 of the staff who shook our hand and they love children! All the staff were pleasant, helpful and friendly, I didn't encounter even one member of staff who was rude from the managers to the gardeners, all said hello whenever you passed them. The private beach is really nice, although we did get a little bit fed up of sales people trying to sell excursions, beauty treatments etc but all were friendly and if you said 'no thank you' they do leave you alone. 1 salesman who does snorkelling trips is lovely, he's really friendly and wasn't pushy at all or tried to get us to buy his trip, he just wanted to chat and talk about the different fish you can see whilst snorkelling and he was lovely, he was great with our little girl showing her the fish on his card and picking her up and talking to her. The food was quite good, we did go to a British bar over the road a few nights and TGI Fridays because we fancied something different but there is a variety of food and we found the waiters to be very friendly even without a tip. Falafel, Starfish and Italian restaurant are all in the same restaurant, which confused us but all the food served was really nice. Pools are well-kept, always see someone cleaning them every day and the gardens are well-kept too. Not much entertainment on an evening though until after 10, and the kids club seemed to just be in Italian, but I may be wrong.
Tips: Don't buy from the shops in the hotel lobby/entrance unless you want to get ripped off and have them be rude to you when you suggest a price (as there are no set prices), we made the mistake of agreeing a price with one man and going back to the room to get the money and he then put the price up by 200 LE, we informed the manager and he sorted it out, so tell the manager if this happens. I wouldn't take a small child there i.e 1-2 year old because theres not much for them to do and I would have liked to have a seen maybe a soft play area for babies/toddlers as letting a child crawl on the beach and eat sand isn't much fun for the parents trying to relax!
Don't get in the blue and white taxis, always book a taxi through the hotel because they are fixed prices and you know they are safer, be warned that they don't drive as safe as you would probably want or expect them to! But apart from that, it was a really nice hotel and I would recommend it :)

Room Tip: Ask for a ground floor, garden/pool facing room.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank rachellouise
HMHG, Manager at Sharm Grand Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Sharm Grand Plaza for your stay in Sharm El Sheikh. We would like to thank you also for your time conveying your valuable comments. We are glad to know that hotel facilities, services, and staff manners met your satisfaction, All of your comments have been taking into our consideration and actions, however please be advised that we have installed DND sings on all of our sun beds available on the beach and on all of our swimming pools for not to be disturb by sales people. Once again, thank you for staying with us and we look forward to welcoming you to Sharm Grand Plaza.

Reviewed 24 June 2011

When we booked the hotel we decided to pay extra for a superior room as from previous experience on the Island the 5 star you would usually expect is not the same in Egypt. When we first arrived the reception were welcoming telling us that they had a much better room available for what we had originally booked so they would upgrade us as it was our first time to the hotel, which we thought was a lovely gesture and I thought this was going to be a lovely holiday. It was late night and we were taken around the grounds like a maze in the dark (poor lighting). We got to the room which I can only describe as a box with broken air con it was incredibly small which was not even up to the standard which we originally booked. We refused the room to which we were told just go to reception in the morning and we will find you a different room (same had happened to another couple at the time). After several phone calls back and forth we changed room that night. (Im not a picky person but like I said this room wasn't even the standard we had originally booked) Hotel was generally clean with beautiful grounds and a nice private stretch of beach with a jetty. Restaurant was nice, different themed night every night, some better than others. I fell very ill as many people do in Egypt (I refused to let it spoil my holiday). We spent most of our time during the day around the pool and walking in to Nabq bay (around a 20 min walk) there they had a TGI's and various restaurants with a hard rock opening soon. However in the night we were very bored and ended up getting a taxi to Sharm a few times as there was only one bar open with little entertainment with a late night Disco. There are several shops in the hotel entrance which all the shop workers stand outside and ask you to come in as you walk in and out of the hotel, I understood this was the case in Sharm etc but found it very unprofessional of the hotel to allow this as it was incredibly annoying.

I generally did not enjoy my time in Egypt I wanted a relaxing holiday as I very rarely get the time off from work and I came back feeling as if i needed another holiday. Generally the (all male) staff were friendly, perhaps a little too friendly at times. There were several occasions when my boyfriend would fall asleep or I would go to the bar by myself and have the staff being overly friendly which at first I laughed off but then it became increasingly intense and I felt uncomfortable sitting around the pool. This wasn't just in the hotel, when we visited Sharm we had the same experience there. In shops you constantly have to negotiate a price and told "I don't have change to which I just refused to shop there and suddenly they managed to find some change" and careful what supermarket you visit. The males there are very intense waiting for my boyfriend to turn around or move away and they would be whispering things, like I said at first I laughed it off but it became increasingly worse. A work colleague of mine returned with the same experience.

To top the holiday off in the airport as we were about to all board the plane they told everyone that they were unable to restock the plane so if we wanted any food or drink we would need to buy it in the airport. So everyone went off to the shops. When we boarded the plane the air steward said "I don't know why you have been told that as the plane has been restocked" I sat and cried I just wanted to get out of the country. I understand that many people have a lovely time and return year after year but we both really did not enjoy our time there. We wanted a relaxing holiday where we didn't have to think about anything but this was not the place for that.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank nicolakt1988

Dear Guest,
We would like to thank you for choosing Sharm Grand Plaza. Also we would like to thank you for your time conveying your comments. All points you have mentioned regarding the resort’s shops and hotel staff are very much taken into our consideration and quick action. Please rest assured that we always do our best in order to satisfy our guests and meet their expectation, we wish we could meet both of you during your stay so as to attend to your comments immediately. Once again, we thank you for staying with us and we look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Reviewed 22 June 2011

The resort setting is beautiful. Staff are polite, corteous and helpful. Rooms are very clean, and you get regular service every day. Food is amazing. On my birthday they made every effort to make it special, they offered us a complimentary dinner to one of the restaurants and in addition prepared a whole cake especially for us. Dinner was absolutely fabulous.
A huge thank to all the staff and especial t the duty manager Nader Mohammed!
Celo

Room Tip: get the deluxe sea view room
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank hello10_11

Dear Guest,
We would like to thank you for choosing Sharm Grand Plaza. Also we would like to thank you for your time conveying your valuable comments. We are glad to know that our hotel facilities, services and staff manners met your satisfaction; we will definitely be waiting for your next visit in order for us to provide you with even better service. Your comments about our Duty Manager have been conveyed to him. A big thank you from us all staff and managers and we look forward to welcoming you back to Sharm Grand Plaza soon.

Reviewed 21 June 2011

Just got back from a 10 day break at the Sharm Grand Plaza, overall a really lovely holiday. Very clean, beautiful grounds, lovely pools and beach. Very well maintaned. Majority of Staff are helpful and friendly (with a few exceptions) .Look out for Hassam at the Luna Bar he is a lovely guy and always helpful and will look after you. Food is ok but may get a bit repetitive like most all inclusive hotels.

The only negative would be that the hotel is slightly dominated by Russians. We found the majority of these very rude - they will quite happily push into any queue and do not understand the concept of manners. However this is not the hotels fault at all and you'll find this in any hotel.

Finally keep an eye on your towels as we also had these pinched - rumour is that the Russians have a habit of taking them if you turn your back on them for too long (I have no idea why they want my used towel!!!)

But overall this holiday was brilliant and well worth going back

1  Thank davidwr123

Dear Guest
We would like to thank you for choosing Sharm Grand Plaza. Also we would like to thank you for your time conveying your positive comments. It is great to know that our hotel facilities, services and staff manners met your satisfaction; surely we will do our best of efforts in order to make sure your next visit will be more memorable one. We appreciate your comments once again and we surly look forward to welcoming you back to your favorite resort Sharm Grand Plaza in the near future.

Reviewed 21 June 2011

From our arrival it was made clear the staff would do anything they could to help you to enjoy your stay we were upgraded to a sea veiw room which was lovely with two king sized beds.We found the quiet pool ,quite quickly by Nino s bar .You could quite easily get a sun bed at any time of day, none of the getting up at 6 o clock to save one routine .Mamoud and Syeed from Nino s bar and pool, made our holiday lovely lads spoke excellent english and genuinely friendly . The couple playing music were cuban and although a little limited in their repertoir they were a lovely couple and gave the bar a nice atmosphere .Food could be a little repetative but always something to eat some things not too noticable, there is a toasted sandwich station and you get the ice creams from there in the evenings.The grounds are amazing very well kept.Snorkelling is fantastic and the guys on the jetty are great as are the fish. Came across lots of jelly fish but the non stinging kind, i was informed by the staff it was breeding season but they definately don t sting! Management are great if you have any problems speak to them there and then don t go home and moan later they are desperate for you to enjoy your stay and want to sort any problems . Yes there are lots of russians and polish and yes they tend to be quite rude especially to the staf if they can say beer and vodka surely they can learn to say please and thank you and smile once in a while.All inclusive stops at 11 but you can pay after that but to be honest after a day in the sun by 11 i was ready for bed .We had a sea veiw room and although music was playing on the beach it was hardly noticeable due to the double glazing but some people can complain about every thing.They were repaving the drive when we were there a bit noisy at times but not overly so but what could they do they don t have a quiet season and they did very much consider the guests as much as possible. Forget Namma bay go to Soho Square much nicer classy and your still able to barter. 40 Egyptian Pounds in a cab from outside the hotel. Across the road from the hotel is the Union Jack Bar great if you fancy a change, lovely food contemporary feel plasma screens and very reasonable from sandwiches to full meals they even served us at midnight and we could nt eat it all just too much ! Went to Cairo on the bus a long way but only cost £30 6 hours there 6 hours back lovely coach though full air con and reclining seats .Egyptian Museum was great although a bit rushed, trip on the nile lovely and the pyramids are amazing, keep some 20 egyptian pounds in your pocket to buy bits from the kids. Got the trip from a company we had used before Sinai Tours in namma bay we paid £30 people on our bus had paid up to £80 per person for the same trip you have to shop around.Take your own cigs they re all horrible unless you like Marlborough all the same tobacco different wrappers some weaker but all taste the same Buy them in duty free there and on the way back although not much of a selection. Went on the star gazing trip with sinai safari an english couple who do trips and reasonable on price they ve got a web page and can contact them and book trips before you leave for egypt were lucky enough to go on the night of the luna eclipse the guy giving the information was amazing so knowledgeable lovely meal with the bedouins, complete with bread making ! Quad biking is great take a big scarf with you for your face, very dusty .Mount Sinai climb is great a bit tiring but if your relatively fit amazing trip you dont need a visa if you go on this or stay in sharm only buy one if your going quite far out .including Cairo.Mohamed Saad deserves a mention a genuine charming man who will do his very best to make your stay pleasurable and helped us out and was very good company . All in all a lovely stay

1  Thank kimferguson32

Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for choosing Sharm Grand Plaza Resort for your stay. We would like to thank you also for your time posting your comments and on the Trip Advisor, we are glad to learn that our resort facilities, services, and staff manners met your satisfaction and expectation , your recommendation for our hotel is highly appreciated and something we value.
We thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back to Sharm Grand Plaza.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Nabq Bay
#50 of 231 in Sharm El Sheikh
Baron Resort Sharm El Sheikh
Baron Resort Sharm El Sheikh
#6 of 231 in Sharm El Sheikh

Been to Sharm Grand Plaza? Share your experiences!