“Didn't quite live up to the hype”
Review of Sharm Grand Plaza

Sharm Grand Plaza
Ranked #17 of 33 Hotels in Nabq Bay
Reviewed 28 May 2012

We have just returned from a week at the Sharm Grand Plaza, and although we weren't completely disappointed, the hotel didn't quite live up to all the hype.
The room was fabulous with great views of the pool and sea, very light and spacious but the air con was a touch cold! The pool areas and gardens are exactly as pictured and really are worth a walk around. The beach is nice and private and at this time of year, fairly quiet but the sea isn't accessible without appropriate footwear.
The food left a lot to be desired and we both suffered for about 3 days. Stay away from the salad!
The staff however could not do enough to help. They were all approachable, friendly and very helpful. I commend them for dealing and keeping calm with some of the eastern block visitors who we have to say were exceedingly rude to staff and guests alike.
One main disappointment was the alcohol being served (Volga vodka - says it all really!). I'm sure that coca cola enterprises would take exception too!
Last orders around the various bars is 11pm which we found to be too early, and there are not enough seating areas at night around the bars - we really didn't enjoy sitting on loungers during the day, then again at night!
Overall, the hotel could so easily be a real high quality 5 star establilshment, just needs a few minor changes and there to be more of a personal touch to really set the holiday off.
Seems quite a negative end but I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel due to the surroundings and the staff.
Soho Square is definitely worth a visit if you are sick of all the hassle in other places such as Naama Bay.

Room Tip: All second floor rooms have good vews. Coral Block is lovely and the rooms on the second floor are h...
4  Thank Rebecca L
Write a ReviewReviews (4,444)

Reviewed 28 May 2012 via mobile

Hotel was brilliant. Lovely people. Polite friendly and funny. Especially one person we met named esmail shabaan. He was the best employee there always helping and telling us what there is to do he made the holiday for us. Just wish we tipped him more because he wasn't doing it for money he was just helping out. Lovely man. Want to go back and see him.

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank Callum140291
Reviewed 27 May 2012

Returned from a very relaxing break with my partner a few weeks ago. The hotel is well kept and clean and the rooms are lovely.We initially had a problem with the air conditioning in our room - but with no fuss or hassle the room was changed for an even better one.The facilities are excellent the beach is lovely and the fish are amazing!! We stayed at Magic Life last year which we thought was really good - but the staff make a real difference at this hotel. They are incredibly friendly and helpful and they go out of their way to make you feel at home as an english guest Even those people whose job it is to sell trips and massages are poilte and well mannered and genuinely want to have a chat and a bit of banter with you - which isnt intrusive.. A number of them deserve a mention as they took care of us extremely well for the time we were there - in the restaurant - Roed was wonderful. But a special mention goes to Sayeed whos works as a life guard - really knowledgable about the fish and the currents - he was brilliant, kind and thoughtful.Alexander and I, (Edith) would like to wish him well for his wedding in September.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Edith W
Reviewed 26 May 2012

Well what can i say but what a lovely hotel, we upgraded and the room was fantastic room 1231 Tiran block over looking the sea. Staff are so friendly in all areas of the hotel they can't do enough for you. One draw back is the dreadful Russians they can be so obnoxious and rude to the staff and to other European holiday makers, but really bad towards the staff. So be prepared and stand strong in a que as they can push in, any way back to the hotel. Food was really good and the drinks even though local are top notch. Grounds round the complex are well maintained and are lovely. Beach great with plenty of beds and just a stride away from the big main pool, with all sorts going on through the day to keep you entertained. Nice quiet pool above the entrance to the hotel if you want to read and just relax. Plenty of sun beds in both areas so no problem getting a bed in any part of the hotel. What a great ten nights we had and if you just want to get out of the hotel and have a beer somewhere else directly across from the hotel was Jive 1 all sorts of deals and sky sports also in a five minute walking distance was jacks bar but liked Jive 1 better felt more relaxed.Would defo return to this hotel even though been to Sharm 8 times before, thanx to all staff for making our stay fantastic.

7  Thank turboHalifax
AshrafYehia, General Manager at Sharm Grand Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2012

Dear TurboHalifax,

Thank you for sharing your experience here in our sunny paradise, we are really honored that you choose to spend your well deserved vacation with us here in Sharm Grand Plaza, your review made my day even brighter, I will convey your thanks to all my colleagues, whom I am sure will be delighted to see you very soon in the very near future.

Ashraf Yehia
Resort General Manager

Reviewed 25 May 2012

Ok here is my first review ... Hope it helps some people out there.. First holiday away for 8 years on our own (me and wife without kids) so had to do a lot of reading reviews and this hotel sounded quite good...arrived on 6th may for a week ,hotel looked really nice staff very friendly.. room very nice had a deluxe room overlooking the pool and sea (2202) big room king size beds , very clean ...lacked the wow factor when walked in room ... seemed too big and empty, fridge not very cold, nice balcony lots of room ... ground of hotel was really nice well looked after ...could not see one leaf on grass ,picture perfect...... ok food.... me and wife are very fussy but found somthing always to eat ...breakfast was good ,plenty of fresh pastrys... pools were well kept and staff were always working hard with smile on there face ..WELL DONE ...It was wifes birthday and they even left cake in our room .THANKS GUYS... last day got delayed 4 hours spoke to reception and they let me keep me room on short notice Thanks once again....Ok in a nutshell would i go back ..OF COURSE YES!!... great week thanks to all the people who made my week special ..will be back soon ...keep it up ...1 prob not many english but suppose to be quite week away anyway.. lol...by the way any russians that read this ITS NOT HARD TO SAY THANKYOU once in a while to the staff they work hard you know ... see you soon rob+jane

Room Tip: 2202 good room over looks pool and seaview
Reviewed 25 May 2012

I suprised my girlfriend for a 10 night stay in the Sharm Grand Plaza in January 2012. From start to finish it was faultless. The hotel grounds are immaculate and always have garden staff to keep it that way. As we went in January it wasn't too busy so that was nice, our room was upgraded to a pool and sea view on the top floor located near the buffet areas.
A very spacious and lovely room, housekeeping were fantastic and always brought a fresh bottle of water daily. We had satellite TV which always had movies on if you wanted to watch them before going to sleep etc.

We arrived fairly late to the hotel around the time of the evening meal. We were both all inclusive so went to explore what was available. As I am vegetarian i was concerned that it would be a struggle to find food suitable. My concerns were gone straight away, upon entering the main restaurant we were greated by the head chef. He took my partner and I around all the food that was on offer and how it worked. He explained all vegetarian dishes and also explained if there was something that i wanted for me to let him know and he will have it made. Great!
We felt truly valued and he invited us to lunch at his grill restaurant near the private beach the following day.

The food was delicious and we enjoyed the huge variety of food available. The waiters were attentive and friendly in the main restaurant and we always felt welcomed.

Upon returning back to our room we were created with a complimentary fruit basket sent from the head chef himself with all local delicacy fruits. A very thoughtful touch.

The next morning we had breakfast back at the buffet in the main bar. Again this was plentiful and delicious. Food was cooked fresh to order such as omelettes with your choice of toppings.

We spent lunch in the grill bar as offered by the head chef. He had specifically advised his cooks to create fresh pizzas and pastas for us. Above and beyond what we had expected. We were met by a very nice weightier who took care of us for the remainder of our stay. Unfortunatly we did not take his name but he appeared to be the manager of the grill bar restaurant. What a friendly and helpful man.

We were invited for 2 complimentary A la carte meals during our stay to experience the true Egyptian food.
One of these nights my girlfriend was unwell (due to heat and not drinking enough) , I went to the a la carte restaurant to explain we couldn't make it but the weightier (same man from the grill bar) was very helpful. He suggested I sat down and had a started whilst they cooked the complimentary meal for us to take to our room. such incredible service, nothing like this back in the UK!

We spent a lot of our time on the private beach drinking cocktails all day. The view here was lovely and there was always parasols and loungers available (all free oc) The pools were also very nice but there were surrounded by the early bird sunbathers who liked to cook in the sun from sunrise to sunset so was hard to find a space. not a problem for us though.

All events were organised through our holiday and we enjoyed snorkeling quad biking amongst other activities. There were some people walking through asking if wed like to do activities with them. These were the same people each day and were all friendly. A simple no thank you was enough and this wasn't pushy or rude so no problems there. They were nice even if you did say no to them.

We did make one mistake: when we explored out of the hotel grounds we always took a left and walked towards the bank etc. We bought some chocolate bars etc here but we found this expensive.

We didn't know until the last day that if we walked out the hotel and turned right and walked for 10 minutes there was much more on offer such as starbucks, restaurants and all sorts. We know this for next time now!

All in all a fantastic holiday and our 10 nights went too fast. The staff is the heart of this hotel and the pride in their resort shines through.
Already planning to come back same time next year!

Room Tip: Sea view / pool views at the front of the hotel are close to everything. Treat the staff with respec...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 May 2012

We arrived at grand sharm plaza on tues 8th of may in the early hrs ,from the moment we arrived at the hotel we had a warm greeting ,the checking was very quick and the staff took us up to our room and brough our bags later.the rooms were perfect very clean and Mohammed (common name in Egypt) kept our rooms perfect and they leave a the towels on the bed in different shapes .. Soo nice. The food was good the a la carte is lovely .. The best thing about the holiday and hotel was the animation team Dominic ,adib ,tola Tanya and the children's entertainers niketia and the lady I can't remember her name .they are soo friendly and I have never been to a hotel before where they are so active it seems like they never have a break . Aqua aerobics ,water polo and dancing in the pool whic I love by the way I have been showing everyone the dance moves I learnt soo good.they even arranged Olympics days and to everyone involved.
The evening entertainment is just a good ,comedy show,music show they are soo funny and they also get the audience involved.dominic is english and so friendly always stopping to say hi .there is nothing bad I can say about this hotel . The pools are amazing and it's righton the beach I just wanted to say this is 10 out of 10 ,I want to come go back next month and have recommended it to all my friends with or without kids as I went with my niece who is 5 who absolutely loved the mini disco.i think the staff are soo friendly even the waiters and bar staff always saying hello .love it soo much .

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Barcelo Tiran Sharm
#12 of 33 in Nabq Bay
10 mi away
Movenpick Resort Sharm El Sheikh Naama Bay
Movenpick Resort Sharm El Sheikh...
#9 of 231 in Sharm El Sheikh
#7 of 33 in Nabq Bay
Sultan Gardens Resort
Sultan Gardens Resort
#18 of 231 in Sharm El Sheikh

Been to Sharm Grand Plaza? Share your experiences!