“Bad Management” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #19 of 32 Hotels in Nabq Bay
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Bad Management”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

My daughter and I stayed at the Sharm Grand Plaza from 28th June until 12th July and for the first week we had a great time.The food is better than we expected and our room was large and well positioned with two very comfortable double beds. The bathroom was fitted to a good standard,but the floor of the shower was so slimy that we both nearly slipped over.We reported this to our cleaner and he cleaned it up a little,but there was still black slime around the edges and a piece of black plastic that was there when we arrived,was still there when we left. The grounds are lovely and the gardeners work extremely hard in intense heat to keep them looking tidy.The pools are nice,but the surrounding sunbathing areas definitely need cleaning more often and broken umbrellas need replacing.The lazy river pool is really nice,but has no bar. In fact,there is no AI bar between the Nino pool and the Luna pool which is quite a walk,but they could solve this by making the lobby bar All Inclusive,as presently very few people use it anyway, The beach itself is nice although rock shoes are needed for paddling,but snorkelling off the end of the hotel jetty is a must.The diversity and number of fish is completely amazing and was without doubt,the best part of our holiday. Things began to unravel for us at the start of our 2nd week when a waiter who had been pestering my daughter to go out with him,turned nasty after I politely asked him to leave us alone.That night he came to our room after 11pm when I was in bed,on the pretence of delivering some fruit to apologise.Wrapped only in a towel,I opened the door to take the fruit and without warning,he barged into our room and shut the door behind him.Before we knew what was happening,Ahmed had groped my daughter and had me pinned to the bed with his full weight offering me a massage.I don't remember how we got him out of the room,but that night we sat up in bed,with the door double locked and the latch on,in case he came back.We reported him to the management the next morning and he was dismissed immediately.To cut a long story a wee bit shorter,we had several meetings with at least 4 managers,including Mr [--],but they all said that the hotel had fulfilled their responsibility to us by dismissing Ahmed and as we had declined police involvement, they had no further duty of care towards us.There were no follow up courtesy calls and when I suggested that they should waive our approx £20 room bill as a goodwill gesture,there was a complete refusal. They argued that they had already given us free late check out (which seems to be available to anyone who asks),but that if we were to return next year,they would give us a free room upgrade.I was completely underwhelmed,to say the least. Zara,the lovely guest relations,was wonderful and the hotel are lucky to have her,but they need to listen to her more. If the management want more British visitors,they are going to have to offer British standards of customer care.They appear to be friendly and pleasant whilst things are going well,but as soon as there's a problem,the shutters come down and they show their true colours.I have no doubt that I will receive a polite reply to my review,but I now know that it's all show.In summary,this is a good hotel,with the potential to be great.Most of the staff are nice,but the whole place is let down by uncaring,shallow managers with little or no customer care experience or vision for the future.

Room Tip: Tiran and Orca block are best as they are close to all amenities.The others are at the front near th...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
      Rooms
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
12 Thank AnnieAcorn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (715)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Gloucester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

This is definitely to a 5 star hotel. It is NOT fully inclusive , you are only allowed 1 bottle of mineral water per day per room. Freshly squeezed orange juice at breakfast time incurs an additional cost!.
Staff seem disinterested unless a tip is involved. It is expected to tip for everything!
I had to change my room 3 times - 1st room smelt of stale smoke, it was sprayed twice but still smelt. So moved to another room which was lovely. However the following night the air con and lights stopped working and was temporarily fixed only to fail again the following night! So ended up moving rooms again at 23.30 hrs. This time I was upgraded to a suite, which was nice but infact I would of preferred to not have changed rooms at all.
I travelled with my friend and her children all of which had upset stomachs and spent some considerable time in their room.
Food was very average and fed up by end of week.
All in all just an OK holiday. Would not return.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank bamford255
the m, Manager at Sharm Grand Plaza, responded to this review, 20 July 2014
Dear bamford255,

Thank you for choosing Sharm Grand Plaza resort for your recent holiday and for your feed back on Trip Advisor. we are sorry that you felt the holiday did not live up to your expectations.
we are concerned to learn about your comments regarding your stay with us and they have been noted and will pass it on to the concerned department for corrective action your feedback is not only essential but is also a helpful tool to measure the level of service we extend to our guests and at the same time provides us with an opportunity to improve our standards.
may I take this opportunity to thank you for your feedback and I do hope that you do give the hotel another chance on your next visit to Sharm, as we constantly strive to improve the service to our guests.

Regards

West Sussex, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

We a family of 4 with 21/17 years stayed at the Grand Plaza hotel 03/07/14-13/07/14 (4322/4)

This was our first holiday in Egypt so did lots of research on trip advisor before booking. On arrival we were greeted warmly - per the review I requested Tiran block but was told non available and to check next day after 2:00, when I did it was 4:00 but by that time it was too late as all allocation were done so told do the same the following day but at 2:00, We gave up after 2nd day as we wanted to unpack and just enjoy our holiday.

The best part about the holiday was the ANIMATION TEAM! Dylan, Sam, Kelly, Olga, Tony and others - they made the holiday more enjoyable! From talking to you poolside and making you feel welcome to chatting at the bar and becoming good friends. The pool was never boring seeing as there was lots to do such as water polo, yoga and aqua aerobics! These where all great fun and got you interacting with other holiday makers! They are extremely hard working lot! Hope the management appreciate them as all the guest do. The resort itself is very good (not 5*) Make sure you know what you paying for any service or any excursion to the reps by the pool - enquire/talk to other guest 1st as they try and rip you off as we were for massages and quad biking and we were put with 4 English with 20 Russian.

Food was a real let down -
On third day of our stay my 17 year old become sick due to eating fish from live cooking station with stomach pain and diarrhoea when reported to the manager he put it down to heat and claimant change, He did recover after 36 hours in bed and just on water. After this incident I observed the cleanness - the hygienic standards in dining area is very poor, during breakfast and lunch not once I seen the table were being wiped/cleaned between the sitting. Also if the waiters not given any tips it is can be manic finding a table and getting drinks. There was queues at live cooking station (pasta/fajitas and morning breakfast). The glasses in the main restaurant were dirty- on our 8th night stay on British BBQ night found 6 plats stuck together in plate dispenser obviously not cleaned (bacteria to multiply and guest getting sick not heat as manger predicted with my son) handed them to the staff and reported to the manager. Who was very apologetic.
We avoided fish the rest of our stay and do not eat Beef so the rest of our stay our optionIn meat was chicken - once there was lamb chops which had more fat than meat on it?. On our last night got a bit frustrated and spoke to Mona in dining room who arranged lamb chops for us which was so much better than on buffet night. The food is catered for Russian only than any other nationality - if you just happy with cakes and pastries there was plenty of it.
We would go again if the food area has a major face lift.

Room Tip: Tiran block for main pool Coral block for piece and quite
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
the m, Manager at Sharm Grand Plaza, responded to this review, 20 July 2014
Dear 62rainbow ,

Thank you for choosing our Resort for your recent holiday and for your feed back on Trip Advisor. we value your comments, as it is only through the eyes of our guests we can improve our services. may I take this opportunity to thank you for your feedback we are sorry that some aspects of your holiday did not live up to your expectations and I do hope that you do give the hotel another chance on your next visit to Sharm grand plaza , as we constantly strive to improve the service to our guests.

Regards

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

Stayed at this hotel from 3rd July till 10th July and really enjoyed my holiday with my best friend for her 30th birthday.

The hotel grounds are massive, we stayed in apartment block Coral and although far away from Luna and Grand pool close to reception and restaurants. Reception staff were all lovely and helpful (except 1 who told us we couldn't have a new bottle of water for our room we'd ahve to pay for it - when I'd seen a couple get an extra bottle and had read reviews stating the same). Restaurant staff (buffet main restaurant) I can't really rate as I was never shown to a table or never provided a drink - I always helped myself but I did not mind this. Pool staff were all helpful as were bar staff and my favourite members of staff were the beach hut guys - so helpful and friendly.

Our room was massive and the air con was brilliant and definatley needed - sometimes I even got too cold but was good that could adjust. The room decor may seem dated to some but I thought it was fine and couldn't fault the room. Was always clean and we got fresh towels when requested. A little disappointed at no towel animal lol. On my friends birthday I'd decorated the room and scattered little 30's everywhere and when we returned the room maid put them in the shape of a 30 with flowers on my friends bed and we also came back that night to a cake in her room. Added extra was lovely.

Nuts bar is just open to british guests between 6pm and 11pm and always had good service in there. Watch the drinks - they don't measure - resulted in a very drunk me! Much to my friends amusement.

Another guest was really ill at the hotel and the staff were fantastic - I'm not sure what miracle the doctor at the hotel provided but he was back to normal an hour later and we saw him at the bar later that evening.

I will just touch on the food - I am a very fussy eater so was very worried after reading reviews on here. I only struggled to eat something on two evenings. Even then I managed to have chips and rice and some little pizza bread. I always found something to eat at all other times and the chefs work really hard. We ate at the italian on our last night - was amazing and really good value for money.

I've saved my favourite part of the holiday till last - the Animation Team - by far the best part of the hotel and really made my holiday. Special mentions to Kelly and Egyptian Dylan/Dillon (short HAHA). They do so much to make the guests feel involved and leave you alone if you do not want to. We went on a night out with them to Hard Rock Cafe for £28, attended a beach party at the hotel, took the free shuttle to Soho square and attended the english only bbq - all really good and enjoyable. I would ahve loved to attend the dessert party they also organised but as had a flight the next day thought was best to not have a hangover.

I would stay at the this hotel again.

One tip don't change your money in England do it in Egypt as rate is better and don't believe that it's cheaper to change at the bank outside rather than the machine at reception. It's exactly the same.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
      Cleanliness
Dear Charlotte D,
We much appreciate your time to convey your valuable comments about your stay at Sharm Grand Plaza Resort and for your comments and feed back about hotel food, rooms, cleanliness, and staff manners and also all recommendations made by your side in your review.
Rest assure that your positive comments will be taken into our main consideration and immediate action
We will be more than glad to welcome you again in the hotel and we will do our best to exceed your expectation always
West Malling, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

Its in my title avoid like the plague...

My husband and I visited this hotel for 10 days in June and to be fair we didn't pay a great deal so we didn't expect the Ritz.

On arrival we were taken to our room by the bell boy but we were walked down the service road past the back of the kitchens not a very good first impression and taken to our ground floor sea room where you couldn't see the sea so we asked to change rooms to upstairs which wasn't any trouble and was much better.

The room was average, nice size not a lot of storage for your clothes and the beds were extremely hard and old not what you really want for 10 days. When I turned the shower on the water came out brown I had to let it run for a while for this to go away, apart from that I didn't worry as you don't spend too much time in your room and luckily it didn't happen again. The cleaner was very good & if you drop him a little tip he does some amazing towel art!

The food here was very very poor, the pool bar served the same fried fish & chips every single day and the chef was offended when my husband asked if there was anything else to eat..The main restaurant was awful every time you entered it smelt of a dirty dish cloth and there was old food lying on the floor it made you feel sick. The drinks were never fizzy and tasted like chemicals we ended up tipping the waiter just so he could run out the back to get us something fizzy and told us to be quiet as his manager might find out...The general food was horrible no variety all catered for our best friends the 'Russians' who will push you out of the queue just to get to the pasta station. The only thing we enjoyed was the pastries in the morning and the bread. We complained to management and they were offended when I said they catered for Russians and were quite frankly rude.

Every morning we visited the luna & sole pool which was a nice pool but the surround where the sun beds were was filthy and never cleaned. We complained to management who said it would be cleaned but we returned the next morning and it was the same as the day before, sticky, full of hair & dirt. My husband eventually tipped the pool guy and he cleaned our area every morning and saved us some sun beds.

The beach here is nice but if you want to walk in the sea you have to buy those special shoes I'd get them from the UK much cheaper than the prices there at the hotel. The jetty where you can snorkel off is lovely so many fish to see you can spend hours down there but make sure you put on sun cream as you burn so easy. My husband and a group that we met hired a boat from the hotel for 1200 Eygptian pounds he took us out to the 2 ship wrecks to snorkel and to tiran island and if your lucky you can see wild dolphins, this is a must but don't let them charge you more than 1200.

The entertainment team here are brilliant very friendly and always came by to have a chat, the hotel work them hard though! But the same music everyday is so boring get a new cd guys...

If you want to go out to Naama Bay or Soho Square I would recommend getting a taxi from outside the hotel on the left hand side much cheaper than the hotel who ripped us off the first night.

The hotel wifi is terrible it doesn't work in the lobby I used the hotel wifi from the posh hotel next door the rixos which you can get from the beach for free or visit the English bar across the road called Jive they also have free wifi and do good food & drinks.

We met a lot of people on this holiday of which all complained about the food, cleanliness & the rooms, one poor couple we met had a sewage smell in their room and were only moved 2 days before going home.

Overall I would not recommend you to stay here and if you've booked already then poor you. If you like the weather which is fantastic & have about £700 to spend on eating out then I'm sure you will be ok! but I wont be coming to this hotel again ever...There are nicer hotels in Sharm el Sheik that we have stayed at just don't waste your money on this one.

Room Tip: Sea view is a must in the tiran block
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear laurajcoombs,
Thank you for your time to convey your concerns regarding your stay at Sharm Grand Plaza Resort.
We trying our best always to assure that our guests leave the hotel satisfied and we gain their loyalty towards Sharm Grand Plaza Resort.
We do also apologize for any inconvenience happened for you during your stay and we assure if more interaction was made with the management we could make sure that you leave the property satisfied. Rest assure that we will take your comments into our main consideration and also action plan
We will be looking forward to welcoming you back shall you give Sharm Grand Plaza Resort another chance and we will do our best to exceed your expectations
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

I spent 10 nights at this hotel at the beginning of July with my boyfriend and his family. It was perfect for us, 2 adults and 4 of us aged 18-20. The rooms were lovely (2 double beds in a standard room!) and very clean. Our cleaner Abdul was very friendly and always stopped for a chat. The entertainment staff were great - Kelly, Sam, Tony, both Dylans, Ella, Olgr and Claire. They were all very friendly and put on evening trips to Hard Rock and various beach parties which was great for our age group.

Although the hotel was all inclusive we had to pay for dinner on the beach and for the Italian restaurant. Both of which were really cheap £12 pp for a 4 course meal or less with drinks included, so we didn't mind. Although the food in the main restaurant was nice it gets a bit bland so it was nice to have a change.

We booked a diving and snorkeling trip through the dive center at the hotel and this exceeding all our expectations. The trip lasted all day, all drinks were included, lunch was provided and we stopped in 3 different places where you could get into the water. You get a lot for your money's worth. The staff on this trip were friendly and made you feel very safe in the water.

Also thank you to Rami in the N.U.T.S bar who looked after us each night, our waiter at dinner and Kiko in the salon.

My only improvement would be that the all inclusive be extended beyond 11pm and a greater variety of food at dinner. However this wouldn't put me off returning!

Overall a fantastic hotel that I would recommend to anyone!!

Room Tip: Request a garden/pool view room and you will be in the best location.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Anna T
Thank you for your valuable time to convey your experience of your stay here. We are happy to know that you enjoyed your stay and that you were totally satisfied with the products and services we are offering. It is very important to us to know that our guests’ needs and requirements are always met
Thank you and we hope that we will be able to welcome you back at Sharm Grand Plaza resort and to be one of our repeater guests
Best regards
Kent
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

My family (mum and dad both 45, brother and boyfriend both 20, my brothers girlfriend 19 and myself 18) visited Sharm Grand Plaza July 3-13th 2014 and every single one of us loved it! The location, rooms, staff, pool everything was fab. I would especially like to mention the bar staff and animation team who every day went out of their way to make sure that our holiday was as good as it could be. The hotel literally has everything including quad biking trips and scuba diving trips both I would highly recommend. The animation team also have planned nights where they take you look after you and bring you back to the hotel to places such as, Hard Rock Cafe, beach parties and a desert party which were all amazing! My family and I could not fault our stay at the sharm grand plaza and I would recommend it to anyone!

• Stayed July 2014
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
Dear LaurenBeaumont
Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us at Sharm Grand Plaza resort . We always glad to know that our hotel standards and services are lived up to our guest expectations. We are delighted that you enjoyed the hotel Facilities and very happy to know that you could feel happy in our sunny country.It has been for our pleasure to welcome you and we look forward to seeing you again in the nearest future
Best regards
Rixos Sharm El Sheikh
Rixos Sharm El Sheikh
#2 of 32 in Nabq Bay
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,970 reviews

Been to Sharm Grand Plaza? Share your experiences!