“good hotel, good beachside location, staff very freindly”
Review of Sharm Grand Plaza

Sharm Grand Plaza
Ranked #17 of 33 Hotels in Nabq Bay
Reviewed 2 April 2010

my family and I ( husband , 3 kids aged 6,8, 15) and my in laws came home yesterday.We had a fabulous holiday.The hotel was very clean, rooms huge and cleaned everyday.The food was a bit hit or miss but overall it was fine. The entertainment was a bit of a let down but at least there was something going on everynite. The smaller kids were catered for well but as the guests were largely italian or russian/polish the animation team spoke mainly in itailian or russian. A few guests spoke to us and said that food poisoning was a worry. From our experiece this was not as big a problem as reported on previous reviews. If you couple hot sun, a new diet and alcohol do you really expect to not have a gippy tummy for a little spell???
The staff were very friendly, yes poolside they do push trips and massages , but, if you are polite, engage in a little banter with them they soon get the message and will just stop and talk for a while. We were in hysterics at many of the staff and shop owners and their chat and banter really did make it a great holiday. This is egypt if you want to be left alone and not chat with the locals then stay home. This is my fourth time to egypt and the overall standard of our holiday ws very good. If you expect 5 star british standard thern you will be disappointed I would give it a 4 star equivalent and definatly recomend it to a friend. hope this review helps. Donna

1  Thank dmh40
Write a ReviewReviews (4,370)

Reviewed 2 April 2010

We arrived at the hotel Around 11pm , checked in and asked where we could eat. Ha ha ha eat in this hotel?
We were told no food then were directed to dodgy salad and uncovered meats that were dry and crispy.
This was the beginning of our hellish holiday.
Room was lovely clean and stylish featuring 2 king beds tv and fridge .
No Coffee making facilities. To get a kettle you have to pay 10 euros for this.
No use of an iron is available you will have to call laundry and you will be charged for pressing.
We had room 6304 which is situated at the back of the complex great sea views and nice balcony.
But not recommended for those who have difficulty ascending stairs .
Now the staff we found were rude obnoxios and were disintersted unles you tipped all the time .

The food was often cold and un appetising same food on rotation every other day .if you are a veggie don't bother With this hotel
the chefs were helpful but food is really of poor quality now if like me you expect 5 star service in a 5 star hotel avoid this one !
If you wish too lose weight through gastroentiritis then go here. My Hubby was really poorly and the dr costs 70 English pounds without drugs.
Be forewarned this hotel is really not what it
makes itself out to be .
I'd you want 5 star pay for it elsewhere
you won't find it here that's a promises
butbottled water do not drink water from dispensers
alchohol is of very poor quality
when. Hotel offers you anything you wish from the hotel or shops to keep your mouth shut then you really should worry wewereoffered this.
Having tummy problems is not a normal illness to aquire abroad
be pre warnedwespoke to over 100 people who had all been I'll some hospitalised and on drips !

Reviewed 2 April 2010

What a really nice hotel - my Star rating would be 3 & half. Room was excellent, Pools and beach again excellent. Food on the buffet side was repeatative but always something to eat. Specials were always overdone - Tuna - Steak - Fish which was a pity as the Hotel did try to give a choice on their Live cooking counters. Drinks : well inside the Rivera Restuarant you got your spirits on one side and then a walk to the other side for juices, outside there were two bars - at the two poolside one at top of hotel and one at the bottom of Hotel, they did serve excellent Cocktails but no Wine, you can only get that within the Restuarants. This is the only Hotel that I have found the Reception Bar was not all inclusive ??
This hotel was a bit disjointed as the Bars were quite a distance from the limited entertainment.
The Beach side of the Hotel during the day we found best, always loungers the Beach Bar was excellent - should have kept this open at night - and the Grill Restuarant was also excellent at Lunch time.
Overall we got what we wanted - plenty of Sun and Relaxation.
Look forward to trying another Sharm Hotel.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Hosky75
Reviewed 1 April 2010

We stayed here for the last two weeks of March with our two year old. The grounds, gardens and pools are beautiful and well kept. Loads of space (it is 1km to walk the path round the perimeter) and lots for kids and adults to do. The hotels is about 70% Italian, 30%Polish/Russian/British. We never experienced any rude guests, and were on friendly nodding terms with other holiday makers despite any language differences.

Also no stomach upsets at all, but we did drink lots of water and didn't touch the spirits. Tried all the food, so no problems there.

The Room-
We booked a standard garden view which was the cheapest available to us. It is the biggest standard room I have ever stayed in. Two queen size beds with room to spare in between and each side. Spacious bathroom with lots of shelf storage for bits and pieces. We were ground floor and had a terrace that went straight on to the garden. Great for our two year old to play in. TV with some UK channels (news etc, Fox Movies and childrens cartoons).

We were above the quiet pool(Nino Pool) which had plenty loungers, beds with canopies and an adult and kiddie side to the pool. The pools are cold, but you may need this when it starts to get really hot there. No sellers of services round this pool at all.

Meals - we ate mainly in the Palmera Restaurant buffet for breakfast and dinner, and the Grill House on the beach for lunch. The food is average to good and we always found something to eat.Lots of salads and nice breads and always a carvery style meat dish in the evening. I think people maybe expect a little too much of buffet style meals. We had fresh omelettes or scrambled eggs every day and lovely croissants. The Grill House and the Pool Bars are the only places that serve french fries over lunchtimes only, so no chips during evening meal service if this is what your children like.

Pink Wave Animation Team -
These guys are fabulous. A mix of Italians/Polish/other nationalities. Jonny,Jack,Roger,Monica and Elena you made our holiday. The shows they put on were hilarious, entertaining and often skillful. Jonny and Monica were great dancers. My husband played football, volleyball, stretching classes and we saw most of the shows. Our wee boy loved the mini disco every night and the team were all so sweet to him. He loved to watch the daily dancing on the beach at 12. They also seem to remember everyones name which is incredible. 10/10 for their efforts and genuine all round niceness. When you have small children it makes a big difference.

The Beach - plenty of beds when we were there and a nice jetty to snorkel off. Fish amazing, but please pay attention to the guard on duty. He is there for everyones safety and the amount of people walking on the coral was unbelievable.

Now the reason for chalking off a star, and maybe the hotel will take note. Drinks service.....erratic to say the least but to summarise.

Lobby Bar - beautiful but empty with two guys polishing glasses. What a waste of a nice space, but I don't want to pay 2 quid for a cappucino in an all inclusive hotel. I think they should just give up and make this part of the all inclusive, or lower their prices to a token charge.

Restaurant Drinks Service - only place you could get wine without paying. I don't drink beer or spirits so outwith my meal times I couldn't have a drink. Why don't they serve red wine in the Lyalina Bar, who knows! Also they kept running out of glasses.

Pool Bars - Other all inclusive hotels I have stayed at have the juice machine on the bar for people to help themselves for children. Not here. I often had to wait in a queue of people ordering cocktails, beers etc just to get one cup of juice. It would cut down on queues of they moved the juice machine

Grill House - No non fizzy juice at all! Its on the beach,children, babies are thirsty and they only have fizzy drinks. Not advisable for small kiddies. So when we had a meal here, we had to find a table, get our food then trail back out to the beach bar for soft (non fizzy) drinks. Mad! Sort it out.

It's a little thing that shouldn't take much for the hotel to sort out. We would definately return if we could get a similiar deal again.

1  Thank corona67
Reviewed 31 March 2010

I am not one of the typical complaining tourists, nor have i ever submitted a review.
However, I felt i would on this occasional. I dont tend to read reviews as it can put you off before you go. The hotel itself is beautiful, nioce grounds, pool & rooms, nice staff etc. I cannot fault the hotel itself or its facilities, it is really nice. However, the food is awful. In the 1st night i said to my wife "wow" as the choice seemed great. However, this food was the same food every single day, taxing when you are on a 10 day break. However, I have travelled to many countries & the food would not of been the be all and end all.
The big problem with the food is that it made many people in the hotel ill, myself, my wife & my 6 year old daughter included. We were all inclusive & only ate at the hotel. Within 72 hours, I was doubled over with severe stomach cramps, vomiting, temparature & at one stage I nearly feinted. Severe diarhorrea continued. I have just been back from my gp in England who confirms I have suffered severe food poisoning. Over the course of the holiday, when I was well enough to venture out of my room, we spoke to many guests, 90 percent of who had a member of there family seriousily ill with the same symptoms. We spoke to two people who had been put on a drip, & one lady who was too ill to fly home & had to go to hospital. I thought it was strange, as Wahleed, our rep gave a welcome meeting, the opening to it was that if you get ill & have sypmtoms, it will not be off the food, it will be off not being used to being in a hot country, this I found strange to be the 1st thing to say, as normally it is straight into a sales pitch. Hew talked about this subject for around 5 minutes. Later, when confronted by myslef & other guests, he admitted the hotel had a serious problem with people being ill, but he could not say for sure it was the hotel, & thats it was more likely me not being used to air conditioning! several people went to the hotel doctor, who again put the blame elsewhere, then charged a £50 fee & approx £30-£40 for cheap medical pills sold by the hotel pharmacy, so basically they were clearing up.
It really ruined the family holiday, as this was not the usual run of the mill diarhorrea.
It was more worrying when my daughter complained of stomach cramps & was crying throughout the night. Please, if you have not yet booked this hotel, do not take the chance, neqarly everyone at the hotel had had a bad experience. Sure the hotel is nice etc but you are highly likely to catch the bug.. Some memebers of staff admitted there was a big problem with this. I booked via imperial travel.

2  Thank babyellied
Reviewed 31 March 2010

Came back from Sharm last night to start on a positive note could not fault the hotel... the rooms were amazing and wheather could have not been better, HOWEVER...

Stayed for a week at this hotel just me and my friend, we were both ill for the whole week due to the poor standard and quality of food. We suffered from bad diarhea and stomach problems throughout our whole stay! There was alot to choose from but unfortunately nothing tasted good , tasted like artificial/processed food and on top of that all the bottled water did not taste right. This distrupted our stay as we did not eat for 3 out of the 7 days we stayed there. Food was also too salty and at times really overcooked in particular the pasta!!! I dont consider myself as a snob i just have good taste in food and had complete different expectations for a 5* i am very shocked that people actually wrote that they were happy with the food!

The other issue was the MEN! We were prepared that we were going to a Muslim country and that the men would be a bit more forward to what we are used to in the UK but me and my friend never thought that we would have such an uncomfortable and intimidating experience at a tourist and modern place such as Sharm / Sharm Grand Plaza. Everywhere we went we got hounded by the men which made our stay unbarable we literally stayed in our room the hotel room for the whole 7 days, We could not ask a simple qustion without it being turned into a whole conversation or a sarcastic comment. The men constantly question you and invade your personal space i would strongly not recommend Sharm for girls unless u like to be harassed and made feel uncomfortable for wearing a bikini around the pool.

Overall very dissapointed with my stay definately never going back to EGYPT on holiday i like to relax and feel comfortable and the men just make that impossible.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank ellez111
Reviewed 30 March 2010

Got back today from a 1 week all inclusive stay with husband and two children (aged 9yrs + 6yrs). Given how little we paid for the holiday we were pleased that we received the same levels of service that others (it transpired) had paid far more for.

The grounds are well kept and the gardens are beautiful to look at. In the evening the abundant flowers smelled amazing on the way to dinner or just out for a stroll.

Our room was a generous size and had two Queen sized beds and two sofa type cushioned benches which our children used as beds - kept them seperate and at the other end of the room to us.

We generally kept away from the livelier pools during the day...everyone was having a great time but we just wanted to chill and spend time with the kids without listening to constant music and entertainment (loads to do if you want to take part in aquarobics, boules on the beach, etc.)

The food was lovely and the staff will help in any way they can if politely requested. They cooked a seperate meal for my son who just didn't fancy what was on offer on that occasion.

We overheard several people complaining about being ill because of the food, and even talking of getting together to complain, but I found out during a chat to one person who was 'really ill' that they felt the food was to blame. Strange that they'd been there for over a week before this 'sudden' food problem struck them down.

I can say with all honesty that none of us were ill.

I would imagine that the sudden climate change, hours of lying in the sun (especially between 11 and 1 when the rep strongly advises against sunbathing), a good deal of alcohol and eating three main meals, where people seem to pile the food on....perhaps in case they run out, always with pudding, and snacks in between might have something to do with the upset tummys experienced.

Also, both all inclusive restaurants have outside terraces with patio doors. Not surprising then that the odd sparrow manages to find it's way in and try it's luck on the food front! My kids loved watching them getting brave enough to be close enough to almost touch. These restaurants are very large with high ceilings - one even has a balcony over that leads to reception. I saw a sparrow get trapped in and fly around reception - probably quite tricky to catch the little fella and set him free and hard for it to work out how to escape.

The snorkelling was great, our kids were a little apprehensive but did manage to sit on the metal platform and just put their faces in the water (with masks on!) and were delighted to see so many pretty fish 'right there'.

Went on the one day plane trip to Cairo and the Pyramids. Booked through Sharmexcursions.com ( Be aware that a rival has recently set up a website at Sharmexcursions.net and is incuuring negative reviews which are being confused with the ones we booked with and wriitten on the wrong website.) Our guide Abdo in Cairo was fantastic, made sure we were all ok and couldn't do enough for my children or anyone else for that matter. A very qualified and clever man who gave us good advice about the hassle from sellers at the pyramids and knew all the best poses for us to look like we were leaning on the pyramids. he even negotiated the camel rides to save us the aggro and we paid no more than we would for a donkey ride at the seaside.

The roads and traffic in Cairo are something else - total chaos. We drove around some of the less affluent areas and did get a glimpse of the real place away from tourist hotspots. A bit like India looks on tv - roads that are just packed down dust, people just hanging about, piles of rubble from tumbled down buildings and random men walking around with a couple of camels.

The evenings are a bit lacking but we hopped on to the Soho Square complimentary minbus which picks up at 8.30pm and returns at 11.30 but offered to return at 10.30 for those who wanted it - we did (booked the first time through our rep but we just pitched up got on after that). It's a very pleasant evening, proper shops with no hassle. We found the White Knight supermarket cheapest if you don't feel like haggling (nowhere near as much of a rip off to start with!) but even then there is still room for negotiation. There are several restaurants and bars - not tried by us with kids in tow. Ice cream and a reasonable cappuccino were attainable, the dancing fountain (to music and with lights) kept the children entertained and the Russians singing Karaoke were hilariously terrible.

Overall we had a a superb time and wouldn't hesitate to return.

1  Thank Mumstermoo
#52 of 231 in Sharm El Sheikh
Baron Resort Sharm El Sheikh
Baron Resort Sharm El Sheikh
#6 of 231 in Sharm El Sheikh

Been to Sharm Grand Plaza? Share your experiences!