“Decent completion to my Egyptian trip at reasonable cost”
Review of Sharm Grand Plaza

Sharm Grand Plaza
Ranked #17 of 32 Hotels in Nabq Bay
Kyiv
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,038 helpful votes
“Decent completion to my Egyptian trip at reasonable cost”
Reviewed 17 June 2010

Stayed here for a 6-day closing leg of my 3-weeks-plus trip all over Egypt. Main reason to choose was the more than acceptable cost for the amenities offered; my journey promised to be quite expensive due to its length and diversity and I couldn't splash.

LOCATION

Located in Nabq Bay area; very close to the airport. I found it convenient as I made several internal flights from Sharm to Cairo and back. It was however thrilling to see how low the planes were flying right over your head (see photo). Their sound was also disturbing at times.

Surrounding area is nothing close to Naama bustle. If you’re looking for nightlife and clubbing, you can get bored here. But it is certainly not lost in the desert – several shops and restaurants can be found on the opposite side along the road. Naama is easy to get to, about 20min away by taxi. I can be wrong about timing; at a time of my stay Mubarak has visited Sharm, and taxis moved very slow and often got stopped for the documents’ check.

CHECK-IN

Though I arrived very early, check-in was fast and even pleasant. Reception manager was very nice and offered a room in a better building than I was supposed to stay. I had all documents, including a passport’s photocopy, ready, so the formalities were done in a minute.

The territory is well kept; lots of greens and flowers. And I saw the gardeners busy taking care of them every day.

ROOM

The room was impressively large and much more spacious than I expected. Decorated pleasantly to the eye, it was comfortable and had all the necessary amenities – plasma TV, A/C, fridge and mini-bar, and ample electric sockets (finally!).

Two beds were a perfect illustration to what king-size really means – huge and very comfy.

A balcony with a tea table and couple chairs could have been very nice if it allowed more privacy from the neighbors.

Bathroom was a bit outdated and not often kept ideally clean.

RESTAURANTS AND BARS

Three restaurants make part of all inclusive (AI) and three go a la carte (paid for). I was satisfied with AI and ate out in Naama twice, so I didn’t feel I needed any of la carte’s.

The guests are provided with an information leaflet and the resort’s map at check-in. All restaurants and pubs are listed there with an indication of operating hours.

Grill House located on the beach is the smallest one. It overviewed the sun beds, the ocean being in a certain distance. It was not bad for lunch, but you had to be lucky to catch the moment they supplied and re-supplied. Sometimes dishes remain empty and were replenished only by the time I finished.

The biggest restaurant, Riviera, is located in the centre of administrative building, right next to the reception. The staff was faster here to re-supply and there were many more of them. The choice and quality of meals were also quite decent (except bakery), and more diversified. Though always crowded, with its several halls it was never a problem to take a good seat. Especially if you have a waiter who knows you and helps with the table (a smile and a tip really help to get along).

The medium-sized Palmera is situated in the right wing of the administrative building. It has a lovely open terrace with lots of birds trying to steal food right from your plate. It was quieter and less crowded than Riviera, while the waiters were still quick enough to assist.

Not even for once I had any issues with food in Grand Plaza. No stomach problems whatsoever. Nothing at all had ever happened to me! Though I ate everything, including raw vegetables and fruits. My secret was simple: do not overeat (this is not easy with AI!), do not mix incompatible food and stay away from heat and swimming right after taking meals. Those complaining about stomach bug should try following these; they might be surprised.

Bakery was my greatest disappointment; I must have been really spoilt by Isis Luxor. I was never lucky enough to find a fresh croissant or roll in any of the restaurants at breakfast. Also, choice of drinks in the restaurants and bars was a bit limited - no natural juices, for instance. But I had some spirits from the duty-free, and on the first day in Naama bought lots of juice and water, stuffed my room fridge and enjoyed them until departure.

As for the food, it was good and absolutely satisfactory to me. Make sure you don’t miss cooks who make hot appetizers and main courses – some of those were delicious! They tend to serve international cuisine, while the Egyptian meals is sort of "adapted" to the foreigners’ tastes. This is not bad, as at least you are guaranteed from the "Pharaoh Revenge” from unknown staff (if you follow the tips above). They even cooked my favourite Egyptian dessert – Omm Ali; don’t miss it! It’s served twice or three times a week (ask the waiter).

The bar near the heated pool (Luna) is a hot spot, and its barman rocks! I was merely walking by, and only took a sit for a moment to wait for my friend who wanted a drink. The barmen was so very attentive and caring to send a cocktail for me as well, though I wasn’t expecting one and not sitting anywhere near the bar! It was very movingly.

I felt more comfortable observing dress code in restaurants, not only at dinner. But I couldn’t help noticing that some guests were more relaxed, especially in the beach restaurant at lunchtime.

POOLS

There are several pools, both heated and unheated, and a small pool for kids, almost always empty. There’s also such-called “lazy river”, but there’s no swimming in it, it’s a part of the territory decoration. If you ask me, it’s a waste of space, but it looks so very nice on promo pictures.

I was nearly the only one to swim in the unheated pool (Nino) – it gets really cold during the night and won’t get warmer during the day. At the same time, with the majority of people sticking to the heated pool, the area around Nino was relatively deserted, quiet and pleasant to stay at. And no problem with sun beds here - available all through the day. Tipping the pool boy ensured I had the one I liked ready for me every morning.

Pool/beach towels are handed in exchange for a card each guest is given at a check-in. Cards bear no name or room number, so you can return towel to the kiosk at any pool. Once there were no cards left at a pool I’ve been sitting by, so I exchanged my towel for a card at another no problem. Don't forget to get a card when you return a towel, or you will be charged for the missing card when checking out.

BEACH

Sea-swimming was truly delightful! The water was warmer than in the unheated pool and it wasn’t as crowded as the heated one. There’s so-called “marina”, a jetty across the lagoon that ends with a snorkeling platform above the coral reef. The swimming is from the jetty only; lagoon is too shallow for that.

The jetty stairs descend into the water at the edge of the coral reef, and then goes the open water, rather deep. People snorkel along the reef or near the jetty holding its bars sometimes. The reef is incredibly beautiful, full of life and colours! And Tiran Island on the horizon makes the landscape inimitably scenery.

Snorkeling equipment can be borrowed from a kiosk on the beach near the jetty or purchased in Naama, if you prefer individual staff.

Beware, the current is really strong there, and on some days “marina attendants” were particularly persistent about cautious swimming. When there’s a probability of a storm, the jetty is closed and a black flag signals there’s no swimming/snorkeling this day.

There are lots of signs about swimming "at your own risk", but the “marina attendants” still used to plead me back when I swam too far away in their opinion. Also, marina has “opening hours”, and I was deprived of my favourite swimming time - at dawn, in particular. These limitations were irritating.

It was windy at night, so taking a shawl or a jacket might be a good idea if you like walking along the shore.

SERVICE

There were guests from the CEE (Poland, Russia, Ukraine), but also lots of Italian and British guests. And I can say British people got better treatment from the hotel staff than Eastern Europeans. It took me couple of days of friendly chatting, tipping and merely greeting to be treated the same very nice way.

As a result, I can not remember a single case of dissatisfaction with the service, except for the housekeeping. Reception managers, concierge, cooks and waiters in the restaurants, barmen, pools’ and beauty salon staff are just a few to mention among those who made my stay pleasant. Friendly and caring attitude and brilliant sense of humor!

Dry cleaning was perfect and fast. I was even damped with their zeal! I asked for my laundry back for the next day and had particularly stated I was going to take a rest and didn't want to be disturbed. And I still got two phone calls offering it back in couple of hours (for no extra cost, by the way).

Housekeeping was uneven, sometimes impeccable, and sometimes poor. The manager checked if everything was all right on the second day of my stay, when there was nothing to complain about. But next days bathroom cleaning was more than relaxed. That’s why I downgraded both service and cleanliness rates of the resort.

All in all, Grand Plaza provided for a very decent completion of my Egypt trip. And it was a good value for the money paid.

• Stayed December 2009
2 Thank Cora_v

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (715)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2010

i loved dis hotel, people are very friendly and very helpful, food was a bit boring and there wasnt any toilet around da pool so u had to go back to ur room or go in da main building, but best thing was da Animation Team love those guys they made our hoilday prefect, im gona miss water gym, dancing, and dat 9.15 show, love them!!!!!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank sharmin89
Warsaw
Reviewed 15 June 2010

The hotel makes a good first impression but later on you discover that it has got problems with hygiene - the biggest problem is drinking water which is not given in bottles but you take them from several dispensers. there were days when this water was left in the sun, or others when it tasted horrible like a water taken from river or lake... on the 3rd day we got seriuosly ill - we had strong stomach ache, and we had to take an injection:(

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank polaheather
Wrexham
Reviewed 12 June 2010

Myself and my partner Gavin booked this hotel in January after a recommendation from his work colleague. We booked via Teletex Holidays with A1 Travel and flew with Easy Jet on the 28th May 2010 – for two weeks. The flight is about 5 and half hours and Sharm Grand Plaza is about a 15-20 minute drive from the airport.

AIRPORT: Upon arriving in Egypt we were guided by our tour operator MTS to collect identification cards from a desk at the airport. Because this was our first stay in Egypt we thought the cards were application cards for VISA'S. Visa's are required if you intend to travel to cities such as Luxor or Cairo. Having being reliably informed about the expensive cost to visit these places prior to our visit we decided to give these trips a miss and when checking in at Egypt airport we did not fill these cards out not realising that these cards were NOT for Visa’s but compulsory for entry into the Country and we were turned away at airport control until we completed the cards and we had to queue all over again!! Even after a victory of telling the Russians to stop pushing in and to queue! So those of you who are visiting Egypt for the first time these cards must be completed at airport control. The same applies when departing. After collecting our suitcases from the parasol my partner Gavin went to the toilet at the airport and when he came out of the toilet he was in complete shock when he was pestered in the toilet by an Egyptian for money. My friends be warned. If you allow an Egyptian to wait on you (even turning on a tap in toilet) outside of the complex they will ask you for a tip. Gav fought off the Egyptian luckily. However, not all Egyptians will pester you for money. But all the same, be careful.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS: The Sharm Grand Plaza is absolutely beautiful. The grounds, gardens, rooms, restaurants, pool area etc is kept immaculately clean by the staff. The resort is huge, we got lost on our first morning but it doesn’t take long to get to know the place. The resort has a private beach with a jetty and we only went down there once. The beach is sand and shingle and to me looks quite packed with parasols. There is a jetty for snorkelling and as you walk along the jetty the fish are visible to see and beautiful – all sorts of colours. Staff are constantly cleaning all hours of the day (some 16 hours) and about 99% of staff are a pleasure to talk to. Some will even have a joke with you by the pool putting on UK ‘slang word’ accents varying from Liverpodulian to Cockney to Welsh to Scottish to Georgie. I can’t remember the last time I had a good old ‘belly laugh’. Their impressions of us brits were so funny.

ROOMS: Rooms are replenished every day with clean towels, linen, soaps, shampoos, lotions and even a shower cap! All rooms have a hairdryer, TV, phone, fridge and two huge double beds. Balconies are quite big too. Electrical equipment is only activated with the fob on your key. We took this fob off to keep the air con and fridge working whilst we were out during the day. The patio doors can only be opened from the inside – always have your key with you to your room in case you accidently lock yourself out. If you do lock yourself out by mistake reception staff will happily assist you get back into your room. If you need anything nothing is too much trouble for the staff. There is also a bank, beauty spa, shops etc on the resort. There is also a bar in reception selling UK brand alcoholic and non alcoholic drinks but you have to pay. They do delicious coffee!

WORRYING ABOUT GRIPES, SICKNESS AND DIARRHOEA? Some of you will have read many reviews by now perhaps worrying about becoming ill for whatever reason. We too read the reviews on here prior to coming and we were also worried about the food and general hygiene. However, I sought some good advice prior to travelling to this country. Opposite the hotel is a chemist called BOOTS. On your first day I advise you all to buy ANTINOL tablets. We did. They are powerful tablets for sickness and diarrhoea and begin to work after about an hour. They cost about £12-13 but you can haggle to get a cheaper price. We also took with us a box of Imodium plus. We also bought all in one PROBIOTIC and PREBIOTIC tablets at Manchester Airport BOOTS. These PRE/PROBIOTIC tablets require you to take one a day and contain about 4 Million friendly bacteria which will help your stomach to adjust to a rapid change of diet and will assist your stomach to digest and process food as naturally as possible. Prior to coming we visited our GP who gave us injections SIX WEEKS prior to travelling to Egypt – this is for Hep A, Tetanus and Typhoid. Your GP can advise you further.

I did fall ill with cramps, sickness and diarrhoea on my 3rd day and I was ill for 24 hours or so. It took me about 1-2 days before I felt completely right. Luckily we had already bought Antinol and we had Imodium with us. My natural ‘bodily processes’ were still off and on over the duration of the holiday but I was not ill again. I believe there were many other people on the resort who were ill for a shorter period or longer for whatever reason – everyone is different, some people did not become ill at all. Remember you are coming to a very hot country right on the Equator and the country has a completely different way of life. Food, hygiene etc is nowhere near the same as UK. The UK uses so many chemicals, disinfectants to keep clean whereas Egypt doesn’t. Although the hotel’s standards of cleanliness is obvious (staff constantly cleaning) the very hot weather alone generates a lot of bacteria etc. If you really want to visit this hotel just take medical and hygiene precautions. Take some extra toilet roll with you to the resort and always carry toilet tissue with you when out and about.

FOOD: I really can’t comment about the food because after falling ill I ate out 5 times over the duration of the two weeks and when eating at the hotel I kept to the basics and often missed lunch. There was plenty of food choice sometimes a bit repetitive but there were Italian, British, French and Russian buffet nights. Egyptian take on British food was interesting. Particularly Shepard’s pie. Mashed potato with a little bit of mince sprinkled on top! It might have been tasty but I didn’t like to try. I just kept to quassants and coffee for breakfast, sometimes chips at lunchtime and at dinner a bread roll with a LITTLE bit of beef, pasta and chips. The bread is nice and fresh, butter is gorgeous. I was also told to avoid eggs and anything made from eggs such as mayonnaise. At the BOOTS chemist outside the resort we were told by the Pharmacist to avoid salads, beef and fruit you cannot peel. I’m not sure if the food at this hotel is cleaned with their tap water but prior to being ill I did eat salads and beef fillets but I do not know if this was the cause of my 24 hour illness. I was approached during the end of my first week by a lady who worked at the hotel asking me to fill out a questionnaire. I did say that had been ill and wasn’t sure if it was the food or not but that after I had been ill I was very much put off by the food. (I lost about a stone). She told me that my illness may have been due to the natural MICROVILLI in my stomach lining adjusting to the change of food / diet. My partner Gavin was also ill during our stay and he didn’t eat salads but had beef and he wasn’t sick whereas I was.

ALCOHOL: Be very careful with alcohol in Egypt. Egyptian spirits are almost TWICE as strong in alcoholic strength as UK spirits. Beer is quite nice and the Red Wine in the Palmera Bar is delicious - but wine is only served at dinner. White wine tastes like vinegar! But each to their own.

EATING OUT: Lots of British places outside resort!! If you turn RIGHT outside the hotel and walk for about 15-20 minutes you will find a British Bar called the Four Corners (we didn’t eat there but food is good apparently), The Three Crowns, another British Bar – food is EXCELLENT, great steaks, chips and Curry Nights and a bit further on is MacDonald’s, KFC, Chinese Restaurants etc. MacDonald’s deliver to the hotel gates!! We had three takeaways during our stay! The food there is in my opinion better than MacDonald’s in the UK – food is made fresh and the Milkshakes are delicious!!

I do know of a few other holiday makers at the resort who were also ill. Many of the British people at the NINO BAR (not far from reception- we called it little Britain! - but there are a few other nationalities such as Russians and Italians) and this is where we got to talk to many British people who also stated they had been ill.

Also, the cleanliness of the plastic tumblers at the pool bar is questionable. I saw the dirt on the glasses for myself. I think the tumblers were just dipped in water and used again – however, the staff were told to use the dish washer). I found a review on here a while ago advising people to buy Aladdin Insulated Mugs – unfortunately we didn’t buy any prior to going to Egypt but I believe staff are happy to refill these mugs for you. If not, you can opt to use the polystyrene cups for your drinks. They don’t hold an awful lot but are much more hygienic. Every guest at the hotel receives a complimentary bottle of water on arrival in the room – we used this bottle for the duration of the holiday and filled it up at the bars a couple of times per day. Staff didn’t have a problem with this.

I believe the hotel was also under environmental / hygiene investigation during our stay. The pool water, bars and restaurants were being looked at including the food / pool / fridge temperatures and general cleanliness. I do not know the outcome of the investigation.

ENTERTAINMENT: The Nino Bar at night sometimes has singers and musicians which is very good. We didn’t find the other entertainment on the other side of the resort particularly good but each to their own. Whitney Houston, Michael Jackson and Madonna were there – well, it didn’t look like them but amazingly they sounded just like them…

BEAUTY TREATMENT: I eventually went and had my nails and eyebrows done in the beauty parlour on the resort. Lovely experience. Lots of professional and gorgeous Egyptian men massaging hands and feet at the same time! I haggled a good price with the staff that come round the pool bars. I had my finger and toe nails and eyebrows done immaculately for 300LE – which is equivalent to about £37 sterling. I had my eyebrows done with COTTON for 100LE and I must say although a bit painful, my eyebrows are perfect! And apparently my eyebrows won’t grow back for five months?? Ladies, have a bit of beauty treatment at this resort – I was fussed over and I must say, the treatment they give you isn’t just a quick treat and go – the Egyptians take time and pride in their work and make sure that the treatment you have is of the highest of standards.

EGYPTIANS: We absolutely love the Egyptian people. And they love the British people for their manners, courtesy, humour and kindness. They are so friendly, funny, and talkative. They never get angry, confrontational or rude. They will take time to talk to you, get to know you and what me and Gav really liked about the Egyptian people is that not only do they speak good English, but they will take the time to tell you all about their culture, beliefs, way of living – which I must say is astonishing. On one of the stalls there are a few cheeky Egyptian men who even asked Gav “how many camels for your lady”. Ladies, be prepared to be told how beautiful you are!! I had more compliments on this holiday than I have had in my whole life in the UK!! One cheeky Egyptian male even whispered in my ear whilst Gav was standing next to me telling me he seen Gav with a Russian woman the day before. Funny that, I was with Gav all day the day before. Gav didn’t even bat an eyelid. Gav just replied ‘no, get it right, I was with an Egyptian man’. Lol.

TIPS: In our welcome meeting we were informed by Waleed (the hotel rep) to adhere to the following:

1) Do NOT clean your teeth with the tap water

2) Be careful not to swallow water when showering

3) After being in the sun do not immediately drink an ice cold drink - allow the drink to cool before drinking - otherwise you will upset your stomach

4) Sleep with the air conditioning in your room set on a certain temp – apparently if the air con is too low it is possible to contract a chest infection and / or wake up freezing in the night.

5) Avoid sunbathing between the hours of 11am and 3pm - those of you who are visiting Egypt for the first time, the temp in Egypt at NIGHT can hit 30 degrees and in the day the temp can hit the 40's even at 9am in the morning and thus can be very damaging for your skin. Take a HIGH SPF Factor and plenty of aloe vera and after sun in case you burn. The amount of people I seen burnt during the holiday was awful. If you can find a chemist that sells a high SPF factor such as P20 – I think you only need to apply this factor once a day and I believe this is waterproof too. We were using factors 30 to 50 (Nivea) and we didn’t burn at all and still came back with a nice colour. The climate in Egypt is like walking into an OVEN – literally!

6) Wear a hat in the sun or your scalp will burn. Failing that use SPF on your scalp.

7) Take strong sunglasses - the sun is VERY BRIGHT and STRONG and can cause you to strain your eyes if not wearing sunglasses.

8) Off resort Trips can be booked with Waleed the hotel rep and trips vary from visiting the Pyramids in Cairo, Moses Mountain, Luxor, Star Gazing, Camel Trips, Quad Biking and Snorkelling and many other biblical trips. You don’t have to book these trips with Waleed – there are better deals.

9) There are so many taxi drivers in Egypt – make sure you haggle a price and AGREE on a price prior to getting in a taxi – some taxi drivers may charge you more than you need to pay. Price up a few taxi fares before you go anywhere to get the best deal and don’t be afraid to haggle.

WOULD WE COME AGAIN? Yes we would but we would probably go self catering and perhaps for a shorter period like 7-10 days maybe. I did want to come home when I was ill and because of the heat but after a few days or even a week we became acclimatised to the hot weather and on arriving at Manchester airport we were freezing!! Even in the middle of June!!

What REALLY made our holiday is a group we met consisting of two couples from Manchester with one daughter. We met this group on the bus going to the resort and we all seemed to have adopted each other from then on. As our original room was on the furthest side of the resort myself and my partner enquired about moving rooms near to the NINO Pool Bar right next the rooms of our new Manchester friends a few days into the holiday. The resort is huge and if any one has a problem with where they are located they can request to move rooms with no trouble. We spent quite a lot of time with the group from Manchester and I have to say this was prob one of the best holiday’s we have been on. We had an absolute scream with this group and become very good friends. Jean, Wayne, Craig, Jayne and Hanna!! What a group, we had a fantastic time.

Overall opinion of NABQ Sharm Grand Plaza? Take medical advice prior to going, do some research, take medical precautions tablets etc, be prepared to haggle, take care with taxi drivers and agree a price before getting in taxi, take care with food (don’t over indulge), and enjoy the country and the culture and way of life of Egypt. It is eye opening. I now realise how lucky I am living in the UK. There is very little crime in Egypt but still be careful. I really try not to be judgemental but I have to say that the Russian population at the hotel can be quite rude (no politeness or courtesy), jumping queues, pushing and shoving and I am still yet to see a Russian person SMILE. Don’t be afraid to sternly and politely tell a Russian to get back in the queue if they are pushing in front of you. They will soon move out of your way as I have experienced.

There is a lot more I could write (not that I haven’t written enough!) but if you want to know anything more please feel free to email me. I hope I have covered any main concerns for you. As I have read elsewhere, the hotel is very nice but this hotel is Egypt 5* not UK 5*, Egypt is a poor but lovely country, all the staff work very hard and long hours and not all Egyptian people want a tip. Don’t be afraid to say NO if you get hassled to tip or to buy anything – a polite no thank you will suffice. The location is good, not far from many amenities; SOHO Square is beautiful (My Egyptian equivalent to RODEO DRIVE in America and there is a dress code for the posh restaurants – no shorts or flip flops / trainers as we have found out and some restaurants have to be booked in advance – check out the yellow pages in the draw in the resort hotel room). The choice is up to you, once you go, you’ll know for yourself and will probably write your own review on here - Egyptian people are lovely. We will definitely go to Egypt again! Maybe not Sharm El Sheik straight away and if we do we will go self-catering. For our next holiday we will go nearer to Cairo or Luxor or maybe even a nice relaxing cruise on the Nile.

Happy holidays!

4 Thank Claire-and-Gavin
Dunfermline
Reviewed 12 June 2010

Arrived quite late, but the check-in really quick & efficient, at airport you don't need visa unless you will be going on trips away from your hotel. Luggage taken to room, tip given £1 coin. no need to even go to you room, you have food waiting for you at Palmera Restaurant, pretty basic, but enough to keep you going until breakfast. Breakfast, loads to eat, everything from eggs to doughnut's..
Lunch, plenty to keep u full until dinner time...drinks at pool bar great, we chatted with the staff - Omar who worked so hard, we never need to to ask again, after 1 drink he really looked after us, at the pool bar & in the restaurant..
Games at main pool nearest the beach, water aerobics, water polo & dancing, the animations team worked really hard to include the British, but to be fair it's mostly the Italians that take part.. its good just to watch..
Evening entertainment same old same old - if you have seen it once it can be a bit boring..
We had a problem with our AC, but to be fair they did try to fix it, when it was obvious that we were not happy, we were given another room.
Egypt is really really hot, & you can get delli belly & sun burnt. You nee to be really careful & drink lots of water, keep out of the sun between 12 - 3pm. We needed to get some medicine for stomach cramps, it is less expensive if you go to the chemist on the main street rather than the hotel. You can top up you fridge for 10 euros, this is a really good deal, we had been going to the shop, which can be tiring in the heat.. water is from a dispenser which is normally not cold. So to have your fridge replenished is a real treat.
You really need to do some snorkeling to appreciate how beautiful the Red Sea is, you can't really go swimming from the beach because of the coral, but swimming, this can be done from the hotel jetty.. Take care when pre-booking transfers, we booked ours b4 we went, it was great coming in, straight to the hotel, but going back we were picked up at 6.20pm our flight not until 22.35pm we where first of 6 pick ups, it was really cheap £11 each, but not really nice to be on a coach for over 1 hour for a 15 minute trip....

1 Thank jeezoScotland
norwich england
Reviewed 12 June 2010

First impressions were that the hotel was going to offer the 5* facilities and services that we had paid for. We arrived early evening and the receptionists were welcoming and efficient and we were quickly booked into a spacious, clean and tidy room in a quiet part of the hotel (which the receptionist was happy to sort out for us). After unpacking and taking a tour of the hotel facilities we were impressed. There was a good choice for dinner and standards of hygiene seemed good. However, these first impressions were soon dashed! The stomach cramps and diarrhoea started on the first morning (so it was definitely not heat stroke) and only stopped when started taking immodium. However, we both had stomach cramps and diarrhoea on and off throughout the 10 days we were there!
Having stayed in 5* hotels in Egypt before we were expecting 5* service. However, the bar staff and waiters were surly and unhelpful. Don't expect to be waited on for drinks in the restaurants or around the pool - it won't happen! There were only 2 pool bars for the whole complex plus a beach bar and queues were often long. Also, drinks served in small plastic cups so have to keep going back and joining the queue at the bar. Not enough parasols to go around so bed and parasol reserving rife! No bottled water available. Were given one bottle of water on arrival so had to keep filling it up from water dispenser (which bar staff made obvious annoyed them).
There were no alternative restaurants to choose from that were part of the all-inclusive. The one restaurant that was open in the evening (apart from the 2 all-inclusive buffet restaurants serving exactly the same menu) was deserted as the prices were exhorbitant, as was the lobby bar, which was also not part of the all-inclusive. Also not included were any ice-creams. The Grill House by the beach (which was open for lunch) was 'closed until further notice' a few days into our stay. This was a blessing as our one visit to the restaurant was an eye-opener. The breads and cakes were not covered and birds were feasting on them whilst the waiting staff did nothing!
The entertainment was excruciatingly bad, even for Egypt and aimed only at Italian speakers! The air-conditioning was effective but very noisy. This meant we had to turn it off most nights to get to sleep but then woke up in the night hot and sweaty so had to get up and turn back on again to cool the room down, turn it off and then try to get back to sleep. That, combined with the regular nightly trips to the toilet with cramps and diarrhoea, meant a good night sleep was not likely!
The facilities are 5* but the service is a poor 3*. However, when you pay 5* prices for a advertised 5* hotel this is not what you expect to receive. Very disappointing!

leicester
Reviewed 12 June 2010

hi we stayed in this hotel in june and had a great time you could nt wish to meet nicer people the staff could nt do enough for you and we would definately go back it was a pitty it wasent a fully all inclusive holiday.the hotel was very clean the food was very good.the rooms was excellent.top tip give the lads at the bar a little tip and see the service you get.ps go to see mohammed at the sports shop in the hotel and ask him his new english sayings.nick and kealey.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Nabq Bay
Regency Plaza Aqua Park & Spa Resort
Regency Plaza Aqua Park & Spa Re...
#95 of 230 in Sharm El Sheikh
Radisson Blu Resort, Sharm El Sheikh
Baron Resort Sharm El Sheikh
Baron Resort Sharm El Sheikh
#6 of 230 in Sharm El Sheikh

Been to Sharm Grand Plaza? Share your experiences!