“A great holiday in a friendly hotel with room for improvement”

Rehana Sharm Resort
Ranked #21 of 33 Hotels in Nabq Bay
Reviewed 13 April 2012

The first point to make is that the Tour Operators should not be rating the Hotel as 5*, although I note some rate it as 4* - which is more accurate. The high rating creates false expectation which is likely to upset some people and leads to some of the, frankly, overly negative reviews. Generally, I judge a hotel by the experience I have and whether or not I get a great holiday, not on how nice the reception area is - these things add to the ambience but don't materially affect the holiday. I have just come back from a 10 day break with my young family and we had a great time, and that was in no small part due to the wonderful staff and the fact that the management took great care and attention to make sure everything was fine. I have stayed in true 5* hotels with nice receptions, elegant rooms, smart restaurants and so on, but there I felt I was just a commodity to be served efficiently, to be overcharged and then to move on swiftly. For its flaws, and it does have a few, we found the Rehana Resort to be a friendly place - so many staff made such a fuss of our kids and they went out of their way to do the small things really well. A small observation to share - the staff respond well to politeness and respect. If you say hello or good morning and use their name, we found you always get a response in kind. So use those name badges....

During our stay we met someone from the management team who is leading a range of improvements to the hotel facilities, food and general presentation. A new reception should be ready this summer, along with a new gym and some changes specifically targeted at British tourists - new menu, quieter residential areas, private pools and so on. If you have already booked for the summer you may start to benefit from these. Some of the criticisms about the Rehana are fair - the food can be a little bland and the serving of drinks lacks finesse, and the spa needs an overhaul. I think they have taken these points on board from several Brits and are making the changes now. However, the speciality restaurants were all good, the grounds really lovely and the pools were excellent. We enjoyed all our organised trips and the hotel taxi service and courtesy bus worked well for you own ventures out. There is plenty of aerobics and dancing sessions on - so if you don't have kids, or can get some 'me' time, you can keep yourself amused. Our room was clean and well furnished. The supply of towels was fine and their little towel sculptures were great. My only criticism of the accomodation was that it could do with a bit more colour/imagination in the decor - but then I have seen that a lot in AI hotels across many countries.

Final comment about the Russians and East Europeans. I read a lot of people getting hot under the collar about this. Most of this is just culture clash. Anyway, get used to it because their tourists are coming in ever greater numbers to Turkey, Greece, Mexico and Cuba as well. Yes, some of them were a bit boorish and rude, but the vast majority of families there were well behaved and kept their own company. They caused us no problems and did not spoil our holiday in any way. Let's be honest, us Brits export some 'choice' individuals all around Europe but we don't all vomit in doorways and pass out drunk in the street do we? Take people as you find them - we did meet friendly people from Belarus, Russia and Poland.

As I said earlier, the Hotel is planning to make changes to cater better for the differing needs of Brits/Europeans and the Russians. I should also add that the Rehana is no different from any other hotel in the resort in terms of its tourist make up - it is unfair to criticise the hotel because of who books to stay there!

So to sum up - the Rehana needs some areas for improvement but we had a great holiday there and so should you. Don't let some of the frankly ridiculous reviews put you off. The other Brits we talked to there were enjoying their holiday too. I think the silent majority should speak up a bit more and provide some balance. My guess is also that if you booked for later summer or autumn this year you will get to see some of the changes which might also add a little extra icing to your holiday cake.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank L W

Reviewed 8 April 2012

This is their idea of a 5 Star hotel......!!?? A CON !! I will use another agent next holiday.
Expedia optimistically rates it 4 star.

THIS IS A 3 STAR HOTEL that is NOT on the beach..... using Egyptian standards.
I have spent my working life of over 40 years continuously travelling to hotels all around the world....................

Pools reasonable and clean with beautiful gardens.
Rooms very basic with occasional hot water.... need TLC.
Food .....OK for the price!
Public areas/ Bars/ Restaurants.... a bit dull and souless with poor lighting.
If you want to escape turn left and walk to The Union Jack Bar... good food/beer/TV/staff.
If you are a plane spotter you can see many interesting charter jets flying just OVER the hotel day...and night!... You are 4 miles from end of the main departure runway.
If you are a Muslim you will appreciate the calls to prayer from the Mosque RIGHT next door especially at around 4am.

Having said that, it is CHEAP with pleasant, excellent staff who deserve a 5 star hotel.
Afterall, it is the same sun as a real 5 Star hotel like.... The Savoy Sharm...

I will not be holidaying in Sharm again...MOST places are much more attractive!!!!

2  Thank pete b
Reviewed 7 April 2012

my self daughter and friend have just returned from this hotel 2 days ago , this was not the allocated hotel as the original had closed, however we were not to disappointed as we stayed here 2 years ago .in fact we were very happy as things had moved on .they now have 3 alacarte restaurants and a new chinese one being built.their is also a new reception under way.what do people expect for their money ! there is always something edibel and plenty of choices at meal times.we eat alcarte most evenings, and were really looked after by the staff who are all very happy to their best for you T hey now have meetings for guests to air there views this is a meeting not to be missed. would we go there again yes yes yes without hesitation. our ages were 73 60 49 dont miss out we will be there again soon quirky prestatyn north wales

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank quirkyPrestatyn
Reviewed 29 March 2012

There are lots of bad things to say, but they would be very picky and very minor. Such as; old decor, wonky lampshades, lights that dont work, broken AC - all of which happens in a travel lodge at home. That is how I would describe Rehana Sharm - Egypt's Travel Lodge.

There are mosquitos EVERYWHERE, no matter where you go, I recommend buying 'OFF!' spray from the shops in Sharm as the english stuff didnt seem to work! If you do get bitten, go to the pharmacy opposite the hotel, for £4 you can get Fucicort - its a steroidal cream and AMAZING and the only cream that got rid of the swelling and sting. I was bitten 97 times on my legs on the first night there. This was nearly four weeks ago now and my legs are still covered in bruiselike marks :(

We were extremely worried, and had been following the reviews for months before arrival, and arrived with very low expectations. However, when we were shown our ground floor room, our faces hit the floor! VERY clean. Yes outdated, yes could of been 'done up a bit' but to the Egyptians this is probably luxury! We were pleased anyway, afterall, it hadn't cost that much for 2 weeks to stay.

Food - I am so fussy, I don't eat fish, red meat or dairy, yet I enjoyed the food here. I was quite content with rice, salad, chips, vegetables, pasta, lentils, and the flavour was really nice. However, as you can imagine this gets tedious after a week, and you're there for two! My fiance couldnt stand the sight of the food after a few days and we ate out many times (TGI Fridays in Nabq Bay is very cheap, about £20 for two 3course meals, and its incredible food), and also ordered in a McDonolds a few times who deliver to the hotel very fast! (BTW BEST McDonolds Ive ever eaten!)
Breakfast is the worst meal of the day if you don't like pastries and croissants. The eggs, according to my other half, are apparently very nice though, but if you ask them to make a fried egg, they have NO idea what you're on about and think you're odd! They just do boiled or an omlette.

The gardens are beautifully kept and so colourful.

Yes you can access the beach, but it isn't worth it at all. Much nicer at the pool.

The big pool with the slides is the heated pool, although it was only heated for a few days and then broke apparently. It's very noisy though, you can't relax at this pool! The pool by blocks 5 and 6 is the best, it's where all the English congregated! Yes its a cold pool, but at 2pm when it hits over 30 degrees, you need the freezing pool! I loved it to be honest, very relaxing and nice.

Another note for the english: the bar above reception is where everyone seems to sit and drink and play cards, we all completely took over, even the english from the rehana royal beach would come over. we are completely outnumbered - theres 1 english to about 80 russians lol!

We found the non-english ok though, yes rude but does it really matter?! Don't let lack of manners destroy a wonderful holiday. We actually met some young Russians who couldnt speak english, we cant speak russian, so we spoke in german and they shared their premium Gin with us and were SO lovely. Also met some russian men who played cards, and were very polite, despite neither of us understanding each other!!

Overall, this hotel is FINE. And I probably would come back once the English section has opened up fully so there would be more English tourism, as this definately is a foreign resort. The building work didn't bother us at all, it was quiet and it's nearly done, they're jsut finishing the front. I think it's meant to be the English reception, and it looks very nice so far.

1  Thank LauraStott
Reviewed 29 March 2012

We Stayed at the Rehana Resort From 12/3/12-22/3/12, My first impressions of the hotel were lovely, lovely staff, Our room was an executive double, it was a nice size, big bathroom, balcony and a nice view of one the pool areas, Food was repetitive, bland and boring but I've come to terms with Egyptian all inclusives as its the same food everywhere.

The Resort is the biggest I've ever seen, there's building work going on but it didn't disturb us at all, and our block was opposite where they were building.
My only dissapoitment were the Russians, the Resort is FULL of them, the staff speak better Russian than English. They were rude, they pushed in anywhere where there was a queue, and they stared at me and pointed which i thought was very rude, I dont think they have ever seen a Black person before, it was a put off and wont be returning to that resort again.Please don't get me wrong The Resort Is beautiful and the staff were lovely BUT NEVER AGAIN!!!!

My other concern was As the Rehana is in Nabq Bay, it was too far out from anywhere we wanted to go. We have been to Sharm before and stayed in the Om El Sid Hill area which is very central, so staying in Nabq Bay was expensive as cabs charged between 50 & 70 LE, and there isn't much in that area to do, its just full of hotels, a few shops and bars but nothing else.
My advise is if you are Russian, this would be the perfect place to go, if your English STAY AWAY!!!!!!!

Reviewed 28 March 2012

First of all, its not a 4 stars hotel. However, we very satisfied with our room and food was also great. Unfortunately the beach is far from the hotel and its not the best one. There is usually a big noise because the airport is close to the hotel. The staff is.... somebody was very friendly but others were rude. They cant speak English very well. Entertainment definetely needs improving, its poor. To sum up, if you need a luxury holiday dont stay in this hotel. But if you want to have a good time for little money this is the best choice.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Lucerna L
Reviewed 26 March 2012

Arrived at the hotel on Saturday night to be greeted by grumpy staff. Went to our room and the bathroom smelt of dirty drains that made you feel physically sick!!! The other room had no air conditioning and there was no bottled water available.

This hotel was most defiantly NOT a 5 star (3 maybe- but that is at a push). FULL of Russians (nothing against them, just not very polite or fun).

We checked out of the hotel on the Sunday as we asked to be moved. Then the drama began!!!!

The reception asked for our towel cards when we checked out. We were not given any towel cards on our arrival and did not know about them until then as we had our own towels to use round the pool. They wanted to charge us £20 each for the towel card. We refused to pay and they would not let us leave.

We all opened our suitcases and said they can search our bags etc, but they did not want do this in the lobby and said that we had to go in a back room so they could search it. Straight away we said no and we would not go into a room with them as they would probably have locked us in and made us pay. After a 50 minute debate over these towel cards we decided that enough was enough and we got our cases and attempted to walk out. We were physically restrained and had 3 men on each of us girls holding us back so we could not leave.

In the end we called our rep for the hotel and he said to go back in and call the tourism police. As soon as we said we were going to call the tourism police, the staff behind reception said we could go.

I would NEVER go back to this hotel, purely for the way we were treated and the fact that it was a bit of a dump. We were 4 young girls in an unknown country surrounded by 12 men refusing to let us leave the hotel. If we were 4 men there is no way they would have treated us the way they did. They clearly want money from wherever they can get it. We had money on us but refused to pay as this was not our mistake.

I would defiantly not recommend this hotel, especially if you are a group of girls.
I can not stress enough how much I would NEVER go back to this hotel and would NEVER recommend it.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
#52 of 231 in Sharm El Sheikh
Tamra Beach
Tamra Beach
#7 of 33 in Nabq Bay

Been to Rehana Sharm Resort? Share your experiences!