“Best meal on Moorea”

Ranked #1 of 12 Restaurants in Maharepa
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Our meal at Rudy’s was by far out best meal in all of FP. We went on our first night in Moorea and were excited to eat off property from the hotel after being on another Island and strictly at the resort.

As soon as we got to Rudy’s I knew it was going to be great. We got a friendly greeting as soon as we walked in.

We started with the mussels appetizer. It was amazing. For dinner we each had one of the dishes Rudy’s is known for. My husband really enjoyed the Parrot Fish. It was fresh and tasty. I had the seafood casserole. I highly recommend it.

We were on Moorea for three nights and wanted to try different restaurants but I wish we had decided to go back and just try different dishes at Rudy’s because it was that good!

1  Thank jhw765
Write a ReviewReviews (1,373)

Reviewed 18 June 2014

The best part of dining at Rudy's is the host Sid and their signature dish which is the parrot fish stuffed with crab. They offer pick up service which was on time. Sid welcomed us upon arrival showed us to our table and offered wine and menu suggestions. For appetisers my wife had the seafood trilogy (2/5) which she found to be over cooked a little rubbery while I had the tuna tartar in coconut milk (4/5). For the main course my wife had the signature dish, the crab stuffed parrot fish which she thought was out of this world (5/5) while I had the seafood casserole (3/5). We shared an ice cream for dessert. Like most restaurants we have visited on Moorea, it has a very causal and friendly atmosphere, nothing fancy just relaxing. Go to Rudy's for the parrot fish for sure!!! We would go back just for that.

1  Thank James M
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I had emailed Rudy's from Australia after having read rave reviews on Trip Advisor and wanting to make this a definite booking for 1 of the 3 nights we were to spend in Moorea a few weeks later. I was disappointed when I didn't receive a reply- until AFTER I came home! ?!
However, that did not deter us, so we made a booking once in Moorea, and we were not disappointed!
I have to say that the interaction with the owner, Rudy's father, who acts as the host for the restaurant was almost as enjoyable as the food! He is a charismatic character who charms all his patrons and goes to great lengths to ensure they are happy with the food and the service.
The restaurant itself is modest and unnoticeable along the roadside until night time when it becomes lit up. They offer the free pickup and drop off service of many Moorea restaurants, and despite being incredibly busy, we did not have to wait long for our food. We were a party of 4 and each of our meals was outstanding in quality and presentation. Well worth a visit.

Reviewed 14 June 2014

Unlike most other restaurants on Moorea, we visited Rudy's twice. The owner is very friendly and the customer service was to a high standard.

The restaurant building is not fancy, but it feels cozy, welcoming, and is nicely presented.

The highlight is the food, which is the best we had in Moorea. On my first visit, my wife had the curry prawns and I had the parrot fish stuffed with crab. You could tell that the seafood was very fresh and they both tasted great - especially the parrot fish was exceptional, and gets the vote for the best dish we had on the island. For dessert we had a papaya tart, which was also delicious (to my surprise, since I'm not usually a big fan of papaya).

On our second visit my wife had a seafood casserole and I had duck breast with a honey and balsamic sauce. The seafood casserole again tasted very fresh. The duck breast was very good too, with the delicious sauce being the highlight of this dish.

Rudy's is not cheap, as with most restaurants on Moorea, but in comparison to other expensive restaurants we feel they were the best quality food for our money.

Note that as with many other restaurants on Moorea, Rudy's have a free shuttle pick-up and drop-off service so it isn't necessary to have a car to go visit.

Reviewed 13 June 2014

We came there at 7pm on a Saturday and the place was empty.

We had a fresh fish (Parrot fish, their signature dish) and a Tuna carpaccio. Overall the food was OK but not outstanding, definitely not the best place on the island.

Service was also OK, and the wine was affordable.

You can park very easily next to the restaurant or they also can organize a free pick-up for you.

Our global feeling was that this restaurant was kind of average/good but a bit overpriced compare to the other experiences we had on the island.