“Perfect honeymoon”

Sofitel Moorea Ia Ora Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Maharepa
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Tahiti was always going to be our honeymoon destination, with an overwater bungalow a must. Upon arriving at Sofitel we were thrilled to see that the lagoon looked as amazing in real life as it did in pictures.
We were desperately hoping that we would be allocated a bungalow at the end of the pier and were so happy when the buggy kept driving right to the end! We stayed in 216 (superior OWB). It was absolute heaven on that deck - we ate most of our lunch meals in our room so we could enjoy the deck, and it was great to have a shaded section as well as an open section where the sunbed was. The room was spacious, clean, and serviced well every day. All of the staff were lovely to deal with, very friendly.
The swimming and snorkelling was amazing, we spent lots of time in the water and it was fantastic to have access to all of this right off the deck.
The convenience shop onsite is quite expensive, it's best to go to the supermarket to stock up. You can ask at reception to go, and a taxi will come along shortly to take you - they will wait for you while you shop. I can't remember how much it cost but it was well worth it to stock up on water, juice, snacks etc.
We loved all of our room service meals. We had the breakfast and dinner package - we are late risers so only had breakfast twice but it was very nice. The dinners in the main restaurant are buffets with different themes each night. It was a bit hit and miss, but there was generally enough to choose from to have a satisfying meal. We ate at K on our final night and it was absolutely superb - we should have visited sooner.
We only ventured out of the resort once - we wanted to do quad biking but it was fully booked. So we did a the inland safari trip instead and it was fantastic. Frankie our guide was very entertaining and the scenery was stunning.
Cannot wait to return!

Room Tip: The added cost of an overwater bungalow is worth it - ask for the end of the pier if possible.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Sofitel Moorea Ia Ora Beach Resort

Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

Having only a few days break I was anxious to ensure we could max out the relaxation and the Sofitel Moorea exceeded my expectations. We stayed in a luxury overwater bungalow and while expensive it was definitely worth it. Fabulously comfortable beds and in room espresso machines which I've come to expect from the Sofitel, wonderful service and stunning snorkeling right from our room. The food was great particularly in the higher standard "K" restaurant, and a great wine list. Even though it is a big complex it felt small and exclusive. If I had a small gripe it would be having to pay extra for WiFi.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Can I give 6 stars?? My husband and I had the best time on our Honeymoon, and the staff were exceptional and friendly. We had an overwater bungalow (#121) which is at the end of the pontoon and did not have another bungalow over looking us with complete privacy. It was awesome to be able to snorkel right off our deck. Let me tell you about the snorkeling, I cannot tell you enough. There has to be at least 20 acres of water that you can explore of coral gardens, ranging from 2 feet to about 10 feet in depth of water. We watch eagle rays in the evening and friendly black tip sharks (which we only saw once.) Basically, you can see everything. So many fish and coral! Definitely something to experience. We would spend at least 3-4 hours per day just snorkeling in the resort. It was like our own private aquarium. We hardly saw others snorkeling in this area.

Excellent restaurant manager, who resolved an issue we had. How he handled the situation, totally exceeded our expectations! The food was great. The K restaurant was a really great romantic setting with awesome service. If there is a lot of people checking in, expect a bit of chaos. After waiting about 30 minutes and seeing other being checked in, I needed to make the staff aware that we were still awaiting. They were extremely apologetic.

In addition to the snorkeling, my husband and I loved sitting out on the private balcony watching the Tahiti as the sun goes down and the stars at night. I was so romantic and we want to go back.

Also, I worked with the Sofitel to organize our transfers from the Papeete airport, in which everything went smoothly.

A colleague, who is Tahitian recommended the Sofitel, after spending 6 nights, I definitely want to pass on the recommendation as well.

Room Tip: Request a room at the end of the Pontoon. We had room #121. It was quiet and very private.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We stayed at the resort may 9th-16th to celebrate our 10th anniversary and vow renewal ceremony. We chose it because if the beach and shallower water. We visited the Hilton and the pearl during our stay. The hilton otw bungalows were just as nice but its beach was tiny. We did not like the depth of the water off the Pearls bungalows. One downside to the Sofitel is that the sun goes behind the mountain in late afternoon, meaning its sunny on the other side of the island for an hour or so longer.

At the Sofitel, we stayed in an otw bungalow. It was beautiful. The room was nice, clean and the deck was amazing. Beach access from the over the waters isn't great. It's a decent swim or walk through the resort. The closest section of beach is prohibited, probably because it is in front of the infinity pool. They tacked on several Eco fees and charged for local phone calls, so we were surprised when we had a balance at checkout.

We had two meals at the resort, a dinner buffet a the Pure (roughly $130usd) and an anniversary dinner on the beach outside of the K. Both were delicious, but overpriced and less delicious than the food we had at other resteraunts on the island (check out the tripadvisor resteraunts). We rented a car (Avis) so we did most of our dining at other establishments and bought breakfast items and water at the grocery store (Champion). There's not much close to the Sofitel and walking looked hot and frightening. If you don't want a car, some of the resteraunts will pick you up.

Our vow renewal ceremony was lovely. The priest and wedding coordinator (also translator) were very nice. The boat dock behind us in some of the pictures isn't very scenic, but other angles just showed Tahiti and the bungalows. My husband and I were very pleased with the experience.

The snorkeling off the bungalows was very good. Lots and lots of fish, eels, and supposedly an octopus though only our neighbors seemed to find him. The equipment through the hotel was nicer than most provided equipment we've seen at other places. We also went to the Les Tampaniers beach and did Dammons jetski tour. Both were amazing.

There were showers behind the front desk so we were able to stay on the beach after checkout, yet still get clean for the long trip home.

Now for the bad, two things disappeared from our room during our stay, a medela battery power pack and my husbands wedding ring. I honestly never thought to put the medela pack in the safe because I never imagined it would disappear. After sun screening, my husband left his ring on the counter while we went for a swim off our deck. I was hesitant to outright accuse someone of stealing. We inquired about the possibility that someone had found our items and were told no, we also checked again at checkout and again by email but were told they were not located. Oddly enough we received an email that they had found my wedding dress (which was hanging in my closet) but after emailing twice I have never gotten a response. It definitely left a bitter taste to an otherwise wonderful experience. We will definitely visit Moorea again and prior to realizing our things were gone, we would have gone back to the Sofitel without question. After reading other reviewers had things stolen too I would rethink that decision.

• Stayed: May 2014
11  Thank AandLBrooks2004
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Nice resort with friendly staff. The location is further from the tours and restaurants than some of the other resorts, but Moorea is a pretty small place, so it’s not a huge deal. The accomodations were not the absolute newest or fanciest, but were pretty good. We stayed in a garden bungalo and were satisfied with our stay of 3 nights. Free wi-fi would have been nice, but they do have pay-internet in the lobby, which I did not choose to buy.

Room Tip: Don't think there are any bad rooms.
Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Tanner Z
Reviewed 31 May 2014

We just got back from the Sofitel in Moorea, it is a beautiful resort. There were 3 of us and we had 2 deluxe garden bungalows #s 400 & 402, they were great, great views of the beach and nothing in front of us. It is the best beach on the Island. Albert tours are great to use for everything, they we'll pick you up to go shopping or what ever you want to. We did the Atv tours with them, it was beautiful and a blast. Service at the hotel was very good the rooms are beautiful,
Great linens.

Room Tip: Rooms 400 and 402 are great.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Dkiddy
Reviewed 30 May 2014

My husband and I had a wonderful time at this resort. The breakfast and dinner at Pure were delicious, and our garden bungalow had a nice view of the waters. We went snorkeling every day we were there. When I accidentally left my glasses behind and already left Moorea, I emailed Sofitel to inquire. They responded promptly and shipped my glasses over to my resort in Bora Bora right away with a thank you note for staying at the Sofitel. I highly recommend Sofitel to anyone who is planning to stay in Moorea!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Priambel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maharepa
Manava Beach Resort & Spa - Moorea
Hotel Hibiscus
Hotel Hibiscus
#2 of 2 in Papetoai
Hilton Moorea Lagoon Resort & Spa

Been to Sofitel Moorea Ia Ora Beach Resort? Share your experiences!