“MEETING THE OWNER” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Maharepa
Papeete, French Polynesia
“MEETING THE OWNER”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

You can tell a lot about a company by meeting the person in charge, especially the owner. I should say that I was a practicing Chiropractor in the states for 32 years and very recently moved to Tahiti a couple of weeks ago sight unseen. Let's just say that I was stressed. By a flute I met the owner Greg, his brother and a couple of their mates at the front of his hotel on my little Vespa. It took me a couple of hours to figure out that he owned the place. I spent the better part of 4 or 5 hours with them. He could not have been more gracious. I cannot wait for my wife to get here so that we can stay here. It was truly a wonderful afternoon.

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank drpete214

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Tacoma, Washington, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

This is the second year I've spent a month on Moorea at the Kaveka,it was a great trip as usual. I am an avid photographer (or is that rabid) and I carry a lot of expensive camera gear,I never worry about leaving equipment in my room,as this hotel has the nicest most honest maids and help you will find anywhere!The restaurant has good food and the finest views of Cooks Bay on Moorea. Kaveka is only a 10 minute walk to a nice store (Supermarch'e Pao Pao) and only a mile to Maharepa for shopping/banking.Nice little beach with swimming off the dock,snorkeling is great! Music by long time islander Ron Falconer on Tuesday evenings ! As I have said before this is NOT to be confused with a 4 star deluxe hotel,but a clean/safe friendly So. Pacific experience you will remember for the rest of your life! Air conditioning is available (added cost,as electricity in FP is very expensive) I don't use it,I go to Tahiti for the weather!

Room Tip: Garden View rooms are the best value,and for extended stay contact Greg the owner for a deal!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Ed S
Kenai, Alaska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

My wife and spent a lot of hours researching different accommodations before coming to Moorea. We are extremely happy with our stay at Hotel Kaveca and found it to be an absolute bargain on the island; I would strongly recommend Hotel Kaveca to everyone. There are basically three different hotel/ resort accommodation options: Really nice, nice, & awful. The really nice accommodations like the Sofitel, Intercontinental, Hilton, & Pearl Resort are all out luxury resorts but you are going to pay a lot for them like $400 - $700/ night. I would consider the Hotel Kaveca to be in the "nice" bracket of options for about 1/2 - 1/3 of those prices. I would recommend the Lagoon View Room. My wife and I were really surprised with how nice the bungalows were inside compared to the pictures we saw online ahead of time. The beds are comfortable, everything is really clean, the shower is huge (easily fit two people inside), and the a/c works great! The restaurant is good and has an amazing view, right on the water. My wife and I fed fish in the lagoon with bread every morning during breakfast and every evening during dinner. There was one fish that would come every morning that was very odd looking; we named it Bertha. All the other fish were scared of her when she'd go after the bread because of her teeth! I attached some photos of her. From the pier, we saw octopus, sharks, sting rays, 1 manta ray, baby water snakes, turtles & pufferfish along with lot's of different types of fish. If you take your time and go out at night on the pier at night, you will see a lot of activity in the water. The shear number and different types of fish in moorea is amazing. My wife and I were in French Polynesia for 21 days. Every single day we saw a different type of fish; indescribable. Moorea has the best snorkeling in the world. The water around the island is clear and gorgeous.
Everything is kind of spread apart on the island and you will most likely have to rent a car for a portion of your stay. Rental cars cost about $100/day. A couple of additional activities I would recommend is the Lagoon Tour w/ picnic (you can book this through Hotel Kaveca). You get to swim with black tip reef sharks and sting rays. You actually get to feed the sting rays (super fun). After about 20 minutes of swimming with Sharks and Stingrays in picturesque turquoise water, you go to a private island and get to have a picnic with beer/ rum punch included. I would also recommend renting a car and going to The lagoonarium (located about 2 miles past the ferry terminal on the Oceanside). You swim with sharks and sting rays there also, but there are TONS of fish there; we saw over 1,000 fish in 1 day.

Here is some things to know about French Polynesia ahead of time:
Everything is extremely expensive in French Polynesia; know that you're going to spend at least $3,000 - $5,000/ week by the time you're all done.
It is extremely humid - the temperature ranges from 80 - 86 degrees but the humidity feels like 100%. The climate is very different from Hawaii. That being said, I WOULD STRONGLY RECOMMEND HAVING A/C!!! The positive is that it's very hard to sunburn because your skin is so moist due to the sweat.
Ants- there a some ants in the rooms; harmless.
There are a lot of mosquitoes. Bring lot's of bug spray. In the dining room and lobby, there are mosquitoes. The mosquitoes in French Polynesia are very small and quick. If you don't wear bug spray and if you're in an open area away from the Ocean Breeze, you will get bit.
Dogs- Sometimes dogs come into the resort area at night. The dogs are cute and harmless, but they may take your shoes if you leave them out a night, so bring your shoes inside your bungalow at night.
PROS - the restaurant has live music three nights a week and is actually a pretty happening place on the island.
Meal Plan - strongly recommend getting the meal plan. It's a good bargain for the island and convenient
Shuttle - complimentary shuttle Mon-Sat into Maharepa. Greg, the manager takes you into town to do some shopping.
Hospitality - Everyone at the hotel is extremely nice. In general, the people of Moorea are some of the friendliest I've ever met before.
Pier- eating alongside the fish in the dining room and being able to walk out along the dock and look at fish is pretty neat.
Rooms - Are very nice for the price. The only downside is that the t.v.'s in the rooms don't have English; just French, but you're not in French Polynesia to watch t.v.
Environment - felt like I wasn't in a foreign country while on the resort because mostly all guests spoke fluent English and were from the U.S. or Europe.

Overall, my wife and I really enjoyed are stay. I would strongly recommend Hotel Kaveca as a good and cheaper alternative to the "really nice luxury" resorts.

Room Tip: LagoonView rooms were really nice
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank AKFishFanatic
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

My colleague and I stayed at Kaveka on what is possibly one of the best work trips ever. As such we were looking for somewhere to stay that was not too expensive in the week before our convention began. I came across Hotel Kaveka and dispite mixed reviews decided to go for it. We arrived very early on a Tuesday morning and while the other guests were eating breakfast we were given a welcome cocktail and watched the fish swimming below us in the restaurant over the sea which was a great welcome indeed. We were then given our room and I was told that I had been upgraded, which was a nice surprise. My room was a sea bungalow so I had a great view, it was a great size and had a nice front porch where we could chat, eat breakfast and watch sunsets. The only downfall was that even though there was a fan, my room was very warm and far warmer than my friends.

There was a few couples staying with us as well as families and we found the staff and other guests to be very friendly and helpful, especially when exchanging tips. The hotel hires out bikes which we rented for two days and used to explore the island in both directions (there is one road around Moorea). We also booked a safari tour through the hotel which was great to get our bearings around the island. We ate in the restaurant for one evening and found the food to be good and the setting over the water beautiful.

The downfalls were that the hotel was quite quiet- although the peaceful setting is what the hotel is aiming to encapture. Some music in the evening or more use of the bar such as a happy hour may have encouraged us to spend more time there. The wifi was also very expensive- 700XPF for 30 minutes when there is a cafe 5 minutes down the road which offers free wifi (10 minute walk with good food and atmosphere) so we only paid once. The snorkelling equipment which is available was also ridiculous in that it was very old and didn't work. In fairness, when we expressed this to the owner Greg, he gave us a refund.

Lots of positives though- friendly, very clean, good setting in terms of location and views over Cook's Bay like somebody else mentioned. A small 'beach' (patch of sand) but good for relaxing for a day. Go to Temae beach. Close to shops and other conveniences you may need. Also a great pier for jumping into the ocean and snorkelling.

Thank you for a lovely stay!

Room Tip: The sea view bungalows are the best for sunset and sunrise views but all rooms close to reception.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Guatemala City, Guatemala
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014

While traveling in French Polynesia, we were able to find this great hotel in Maharepa area. Hotel Kaveka is a fantastically located hotel in the all-famous Cook's bay at Moorea, which has one of the must spectacular views in the whole island.

The hotel is very clean and the staff was very nice and welcoming. Moreover, Gregg, the owner, was incredibly nice and made our stay fantastic taking us on numerous occasions to downtown Maharepa and because of him you know the hotel is very well maintained and he treats his staff very good.

Additionally, the Chinese restaurant at the hotel was very good and you could tell it was very fresh and tasty. As well the Poisson Cru was one of my favorite dishes of the restaurant and they have fair prices compared to many of the small restaurants that are in Moorea, thus I would highly recommend anyone to eat in this restaurant.

Last but not least, the only dissapointing fact is that you have to pay 6 euros for 30 minutes of wi-fi and 3000 Francs to use the A/C during the day. I personally understand how costly the energy can be in FP but I would humbly suggest to increase the some of the bungalow prices by including wi-fi and A/C. Otherwise, we had a really good time, and yes, we would recommend this to anyone.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Easton, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014 via mobile

I stayed with my husband only one night but was a good time. The facilities was nice. Is a good place to do snorkeling, the lagoon was amazing. The restaurant is over water. Beautiful. The staff is very friendly. We wish to stayed more nights because this hotel was wonderfull.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Honduras6
Oswego, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014

I first visited Hotel Kaveka 3 years ago. I because I was a budget traveler and it was (and still is) one of the more budget-friendly hotels on Moorea. My 2nd visit was to bring my wife and let her experience the beauty of Cook's Bay. Hotel Kaveka has obviously been improved in the last 3 years. The feral chickens aren't around any more, which can definitely lead to a better night's sleep. Bungalows appear to have been painted, and the grounds are mostly immaculate. Walking around Kaveka you will see all species of tropical flowers and fruit trees planted around the neighboring bungalows. Our Lanai bungalow was clean, comfortable and quaint but did not have air conditioning or screens. Be careful bringing food into the bungalow, if it is left out for long the ants will find it.

The worst part of Hotel Kaveka is the location, which isn't bad at all. Walking to either of the nearby towns, Maharepa and Pao Pao, would take about 20 minutes. Because the hotel is in a bay there is less breeze than other parts of the island, so if you are walking for a while it tends to become quite sticky. Renting a car and exploring the island is the best plan. Kaveka is a good place to stay, but Moorea has much more to offer!

Hotel Kaveka has a small beach just south of the main office. I remember the beach being fairly rough and painful to walk on without water shoes, but it has been raked more over the years and isn't nearly as bad as I remembered. The beach doesn't extend very far out before large rocks and sad-looking corals rise to just below the surface of the water so swimming is pretty limited. Snorkeling is ok among the rocks and off Kaveka's long pier, but much better at the public beaches.

The best attributes of Hotel Kaveka are the unique and delicious restaurant and the gorgeous views of Mount Rotui and Cook's Bay. The restaurant is in the style of an overwater bungalow, and if you get a seat at the edge of the water you can look down at the schools of Mullet and other reef fish swimming below. Throwing some baguette into the water creates quite a show as fish come from all directions to enjoy their dinner. The food is very good and typically expensive for French Polynesia. Visiting this restaurant is much more of an experience to remember given the views, fish-feeding, live music on select nights and atmosphere. Views across the bay of Mount Rotui are spectacular. Cruise ships occasionally anchor in the bay and add to the tropical ambiance. A walk on the pier will give even better views of the stunning peaks of Moorea. We only stayed a night at Kaveka this time, but much of our time was spent enjoying the views from the pier. At night the stars are amazing out on the pier, we just had to block out some of the lights around us.

Overall, Hotel Kaveka is a nice place to stay and I would stay there again. It is a good launch pad to go and explore more of this beautiful island.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Prateritum
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maharepa
Manava Beach Resort & Spa - Moorea
Green Lodge
#9 of 13 in Moorea
Manava Suite Resort Tahiti
InterContinental Moorea Resort & Spa

Been to Hotel Kaveka? Share your experiences!