Hotel Kaveka
Sofitel
US$399
US$384
  • Pool
Village Temanoha(Cook's Bay)(Great Value!)
US$135
US$319
US$267
Agoda.com
  • Beachfront
Hotel Les Tipaniers(Moorea)(Great Value!)
US$167
Agoda.com
Hotel Hibiscus(Papetoai)(Great Value!)
US$180
US$483
US$390
  • Pool
All reviewsfrench polynesiaallo pizzafrench channelsfish feedingtiny beachthe water's edgeno air conditioningstar propertystayed nightsprivate beachearly checkother resortsdockswimmingislandlagoonmoorea
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at Hotel Kaveka in April of this year. The service and staff there was excellent, felt like we had friends and family with us. It was so nice and convenient having the restaurant on site. We did the meal plan which overall was a great deal considering the prices of everything in French Polynesia. They had live music a couple nights a week which was nice and we saw many different sea creatures just looking off the dock there in the evenings. They have a free daily shuttle to the main town near by which made it convenient if you didn't have a car the whole time. ( Go to the Moz Cafe in town! Great place also. )We felt very safe at the resort. The overall cleanliness was good with the exception of some trash built up on the sides of their beach and the other side that meets the water. If their maintenance man/ Gardner cleaned that up the place would be at an excellent clean rating because the rooms and restaurant were great. If I were going to have any criticism it would be the dogs in the evening. Now keep in mind there are dogs roaming everywhere on the island so having dogs around is almost inevitable but they do have a gate that is closed or suppose to be closed at 10pm every night and when it would get dark dogs would come in, all very passive and mellow and don't really come near you at all but they like to chew sandals sometimes. Just don't leave your sandals out all night. During the day was fine because they were never around but at night could be a problem. Mosquitos were not fun but that was an issue all over so bring the bug spray. Humid, humid, humid... Be prepared to sweat the whole time. My one piece of advice would be to bring everything you could possibly need with you on this trip. These islands will either not have it or it will be outrageously expensive. (Ex. Small roll of werthers candies at the store was $8 us). Overall beautiful place to visit, prettiest water you will ever see, and the best snorkeling. I would definitely stay at Hotel Kaveka again!

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank alwayslovetovacation
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We stayed here after 3 nights at the Intercontinental - it was the only place on the island that would accommodate 4 people (that we could find on all the booking websites). I was a little unsure about staying here after staying at the intercontinental, but like other reviews, the owner and staff are incredibly courteous and friendly. It rained most of the time here. We got one morning of 'not rain' and went to Temae beach. Kids enjoyed playing in the sand and snorkelling. The views from the hotel are very beautiful. The food was fine. And yes, everything is expensive. We bought some beer and snacks at a grocery store and enjoyed those sitting on our balcony while the kids napped. We did have to pay extra for the A/C - our daughter is a red-head and can't handle the heat! It is what it is - a Polynesian hut, not a luxury resort. The owner gave our kids a baguette each to feed the fish and they were overjoyed. It was a welcoming place.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Tonya W
Reviewed 16 May 2014

You can tell a lot about a company by meeting the person in charge, especially the owner. I should say that I was a practicing Chiropractor in the states for 32 years and very recently moved to Tahiti a couple of weeks ago sight unseen. Let's just say that I was stressed. By a flute I met the owner Greg, his brother and a couple of their mates at the front of his hotel on my little Vespa. It took me a couple of hours to figure out that he owned the place. I spent the better part of 4 or 5 hours with them. He could not have been more gracious. I cannot wait for my wife to get here so that we can stay here. It was truly a wonderful afternoon.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank drpete214
Reviewed 13 May 2014

This is the second year I've spent a month on Moorea at the Kaveka,it was a great trip as usual. I am an avid photographer (or is that rabid) and I carry a lot of expensive camera gear,I never worry about leaving equipment in my room,as this hotel has the nicest most honest maids and help you will find anywhere!The restaurant has good food and the finest views of Cooks Bay on Moorea. Kaveka is only a 10 minute walk to a nice store (Supermarch'e Pao Pao) and only a mile to Maharepa for shopping/banking.Nice little beach with swimming off the dock,snorkeling is great! Music by long time islander Ron Falconer on Tuesday evenings ! As I have said before this is NOT to be confused with a 4 star deluxe hotel,but a clean/safe friendly So. Pacific experience you will remember for the rest of your life! Air conditioning is available (added cost,as electricity in FP is very expensive) I don't use it,I go to Tahiti for the weather!

Room Tip: Garden View rooms are the best value,and for extended stay contact Greg the owner for a deal!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Ed S
Reviewed 9 May 2014

My wife and spent a lot of hours researching different accommodations before coming to Moorea. We are extremely happy with our stay at Hotel Kaveca and found it to be an absolute bargain on the island; I would strongly recommend Hotel Kaveca to everyone. There are basically three different hotel/ resort accommodation options: Really nice, nice, & awful. The really nice accommodations like the Sofitel, Intercontinental, Hilton, & Pearl Resort are all out luxury resorts but you are going to pay a lot for them like $400 - $700/ night. I would consider the Hotel Kaveca to be in the "nice" bracket of options for about 1/2 - 1/3 of those prices. I would recommend the Lagoon View Room. My wife and I were really surprised with how nice the bungalows were inside compared to the pictures we saw online ahead of time. The beds are comfortable, everything is really clean, the shower is huge (easily fit two people inside), and the a/c works great! The restaurant is good and has an amazing view, right on the water. My wife and I fed fish in the lagoon with bread every morning during breakfast and every evening during dinner. There was one fish that would come every morning that was very odd looking; we named it Bertha. All the other fish were scared of her when she'd go after the bread because of her teeth! I attached some photos of her. From the pier, we saw octopus, sharks, sting rays, 1 manta ray, baby water snakes, turtles & pufferfish along with lot's of different types of fish. If you take your time and go out at night on the pier at night, you will see a lot of activity in the water. The shear number and different types of fish in moorea is amazing. My wife and I were in French Polynesia for 21 days. Every single day we saw a different type of fish; indescribable. Moorea has the best snorkeling in the world. The water around the island is clear and gorgeous.
Everything is kind of spread apart on the island and you will most likely have to rent a car for a portion of your stay. Rental cars cost about $100/day. A couple of additional activities I would recommend is the Lagoon Tour w/ picnic (you can book this through Hotel Kaveca). You get to swim with black tip reef sharks and sting rays. You actually get to feed the sting rays (super fun). After about 20 minutes of swimming with Sharks and Stingrays in picturesque turquoise water, you go to a private island and get to have a picnic with beer/ rum punch included. I would also recommend renting a car and going to The lagoonarium (located about 2 miles past the ferry terminal on the Oceanside). You swim with sharks and sting rays there also, but there are TONS of fish there; we saw over 1,000 fish in 1 day.

Here is some things to know about French Polynesia ahead of time:
Everything is extremely expensive in French Polynesia; know that you're going to spend at least $3,000 - $5,000/ week by the time you're all done.
It is extremely humid - the temperature ranges from 80 - 86 degrees but the humidity feels like 100%. The climate is very different from Hawaii. That being said, I WOULD STRONGLY RECOMMEND HAVING A/C!!! The positive is that it's very hard to sunburn because your skin is so moist due to the sweat.
Ants- there a some ants in the rooms; harmless.
There are a lot of mosquitoes. Bring lot's of bug spray. In the dining room and lobby, there are mosquitoes. The mosquitoes in French Polynesia are very small and quick. If you don't wear bug spray and if you're in an open area away from the Ocean Breeze, you will get bit.
Dogs- Sometimes dogs come into the resort area at night. The dogs are cute and harmless, but they may take your shoes if you leave them out a night, so bring your shoes inside your bungalow at night.
PROS - the restaurant has live music three nights a week and is actually a pretty happening place on the island.
Meal Plan - strongly recommend getting the meal plan. It's a good bargain for the island and convenient
Shuttle - complimentary shuttle Mon-Sat into Maharepa. Greg, the manager takes you into town to do some shopping.
Hospitality - Everyone at the hotel is extremely nice. In general, the people of Moorea are some of the friendliest I've ever met before.
Pier- eating alongside the fish in the dining room and being able to walk out along the dock and look at fish is pretty neat.
Rooms - Are very nice for the price. The only downside is that the t.v.'s in the rooms don't have English; just French, but you're not in French Polynesia to watch t.v.
Environment - felt like I wasn't in a foreign country while on the resort because mostly all guests spoke fluent English and were from the U.S. or Europe.

Overall, my wife and I really enjoyed are stay. I would strongly recommend Hotel Kaveca as a good and cheaper alternative to the "really nice luxury" resorts.

Room Tip: LagoonView rooms were really nice
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple