“Nice place to unwind and enjoy French Polynesia”
Review of Hotel Kaveka

Hotel Kaveka
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Maharepa
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Nice but simple bungalows with all what you need. Remarkably good restaurant at reasonable prices compared to local price level. Beach is quite small and to enter the water a bit difficult because of stones/corals - reef-shoes strongly recommended! Central location - walking distance to Maharepa.

Room Tip: Beachfront bungalow - watch the sunset and relax with a drink.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Wolfram G

Reviewed 19 June 2014

Compared to the rest of the Pacific the Hotel Kaveka must be more than two stars. But probably not three. The rooms are okay, but quite worn down. The food is no big deal, and the breakfast tends to get boring after a couple of days. However, the restaurant is over water and you can feed the colorful fish directly from your table. The snorkeling at the end of the little private pier is fine - watch out for turtles! The location in Cooks Bay is fine, too - with great views of the mountains. The beach is the smallest in the world. The over loaded single receptionist and waiter is eagerly friendly and helpful, but tends to get stressed - and we had a really bad welcome experience. Rent a car and circle the Island yourself - and do swim with sting rays and sharks at the Tipaniers Hotel. Unforgettable! (Rent a kayak for an hour for 1.000 xpf = €8 - the crazy experience is only 7 minutes out.) Furthermore, go to church in the beautiful catholic church in Haapiti on Sundays at 7.30am.

Room Tip: Lagoon view is great because of the mountains on the other side of Cooks Bay. Beach view is a laugh...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JanHolstebro
Reviewed 17 June 2014

After having seen mixed reviews on Trip Advisor, my husband and I were a little unsure of what we would find, but this hotel ticked the right boxes for us with regards to price and location.
Having taken 3 days, with required stopovers from Australia, to finally reach Moorea, (and keen to get to our room and take a swim), we were initially a bit wary when we were informed by a staff member that we would have to wait till he was free to book us in since he was on his own & serving lunch as well!
40 mins later, another staff member appeared and showed us to our garden 'Lanai' (budget accommodation), which was clean and tidy, with an oversized king bed (plus a single too) and separate toilet and shower, though it was very hot with the sun pouring in. We found that this was not a problem however, once we opened the windows and doors and let some fresh air in, and during our 3 day stay, found the fan above the bed as perfectly adequate for keeping us cool during the night. (You can hire an air conditioning unit at an extra cost)
The hotel had a very relaxed atmosphere & the staff were all very friendly and only too happy to answer questions & help us. We hired cycles here for a reasonable rate our first afternoon and the owner of the hotel was very helpful organising a hire car the next day at a cheaper rate than if we had booked it ourselves.
We found that a hire car gave us more freedom to explore, & was infinitely cheaper than relying on the taxi service which doubled it's price after 6pm and was reputed to be hard to find at all after 10pm!! Having not driven on the right for 37 years, I picked it back up with no effort, happy that there is only one road that runs around the island's perimeter, plus the one to the centre.Plus no traffic lights or roundabouts that we found!! The speed limit is slow and many of the cars we travelled behind seemed to drive on 'island time' (i.e. 20-40 kms per hr, in their own sweet time, not worrying about who was behind them!!)
Having said that, most restaurants offer the service to pick up & drop off free of charge to encourage you to dine with them, and understanding that you sometimes might have to wait around a little for someone to take you, this is fine.
The hotel is just off the main road, very private with it's high walls & a number of individual lanai's (bungalows) set in gardens & around the water's edge. The reception area & restaurant opened up to a long wharf where there was a swimming platform. We enjoyed a refreshing swim in the clear water, and saw some coral & fish, though not abundant- it was still very pleasant.
We ate dinner in the restaurant our first night, and were very happy with the food as well as loving the live music and friendly staff serving us, but we were slightly disappointed with the very basic breakfast the next morning which cost 1000xpf (about $12 each) for a glass of juice, a coffee/tea and chunks of French bread, butter & jam. You could add fruit or a cooked breakfast for more money.
We knew that prices in Tahiti are high, but after that first breakfast, we preferred to go to the shops down the road (2 mins in our hire car or a 5-10 min walk) and either have breakfast in a cafe (at half the price as the hotel) or buy our own crusty fresh baguettes & cheese, ham & fruit from the local supermarket there. You could also buy beer & alcohol, and all other necessities if you wanted to be more self sufficient, and place cold drinks in the small fridge provided in the hotel.
Some of the reviews I saw of this hotel complained about value for money, cleanliness and cost. I say that as long as you are not expecting 5 star accommodation, you will not be disappointed. My husband and I are in the 57-65 yr bracket, and did not want to pay the prices of the upmarket hotels like the Sofitel or Inter Continental. Therefore we were more than happy with the lanai, the hotel facilities & it's services and would recommend it to other travellers .
You are hopefully in Moorea to enjoy it's beautiful atmosphere and the people, not to stay in a hotel room! The money you save on expensive accommodation we feel is better spent exploring the place, enjoying the food, the culture and getting out to meet it's locals.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Nikkiloolah
Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at Hotel Kaveka in April of this year. The service and staff there was excellent, felt like we had friends and family with us. It was so nice and convenient having the restaurant on site. We did the meal plan which overall was a great deal considering the prices of everything in French Polynesia. They had live music a couple nights a week which was nice and we saw many different sea creatures just looking off the dock there in the evenings. They have a free daily shuttle to the main town near by which made it convenient if you didn't have a car the whole time. ( Go to the Moz Cafe in town! Great place also. )We felt very safe at the resort. The overall cleanliness was good with the exception of some trash built up on the sides of their beach and the other side that meets the water. If their maintenance man/ Gardner cleaned that up the place would be at an excellent clean rating because the rooms and restaurant were great. If I were going to have any criticism it would be the dogs in the evening. Now keep in mind there are dogs roaming everywhere on the island so having dogs around is almost inevitable but they do have a gate that is closed or suppose to be closed at 10pm every night and when it would get dark dogs would come in, all very passive and mellow and don't really come near you at all but they like to chew sandals sometimes. Just don't leave your sandals out all night. During the day was fine because they were never around but at night could be a problem. Mosquitos were not fun but that was an issue all over so bring the bug spray. Humid, humid, humid... Be prepared to sweat the whole time. My one piece of advice would be to bring everything you could possibly need with you on this trip. These islands will either not have it or it will be outrageously expensive. (Ex. Small roll of werthers candies at the store was $8 us). Overall beautiful place to visit, prettiest water you will ever see, and the best snorkeling. I would definitely stay at Hotel Kaveka again!

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank alwayslovetovacation
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We stayed here after 3 nights at the Intercontinental - it was the only place on the island that would accommodate 4 people (that we could find on all the booking websites). I was a little unsure about staying here after staying at the intercontinental, but like other reviews, the owner and staff are incredibly courteous and friendly. It rained most of the time here. We got one morning of 'not rain' and went to Temae beach. Kids enjoyed playing in the sand and snorkelling. The views from the hotel are very beautiful. The food was fine. And yes, everything is expensive. We bought some beer and snacks at a grocery store and enjoyed those sitting on our balcony while the kids napped. We did have to pay extra for the A/C - our daughter is a red-head and can't handle the heat! It is what it is - a Polynesian hut, not a luxury resort. The owner gave our kids a baguette each to feed the fish and they were overjoyed. It was a welcoming place.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Tonya W
Reviewed 16 May 2014

You can tell a lot about a company by meeting the person in charge, especially the owner. I should say that I was a practicing Chiropractor in the states for 32 years and very recently moved to Tahiti a couple of weeks ago sight unseen. Let's just say that I was stressed. By a flute I met the owner Greg, his brother and a couple of their mates at the front of his hotel on my little Vespa. It took me a couple of hours to figure out that he owned the place. I spent the better part of 4 or 5 hours with them. He could not have been more gracious. I cannot wait for my wife to get here so that we can stay here. It was truly a wonderful afternoon.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank drpete214
Reviewed 13 May 2014

This is the second year I've spent a month on Moorea at the Kaveka,it was a great trip as usual. I am an avid photographer (or is that rabid) and I carry a lot of expensive camera gear,I never worry about leaving equipment in my room,as this hotel has the nicest most honest maids and help you will find anywhere!The restaurant has good food and the finest views of Cooks Bay on Moorea. Kaveka is only a 10 minute walk to a nice store (Supermarch'e Pao Pao) and only a mile to Maharepa for shopping/banking.Nice little beach with swimming off the dock,snorkeling is great! Music by long time islander Ron Falconer on Tuesday evenings ! As I have said before this is NOT to be confused with a 4 star deluxe hotel,but a clean/safe friendly So. Pacific experience you will remember for the rest of your life! Air conditioning is available (added cost,as electricity in FP is very expensive) I don't use it,I go to Tahiti for the weather!

Room Tip: Garden View rooms are the best value,and for extended stay contact Greg the owner for a deal!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Ed S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maharepa
Manava Beach Resort & Spa - Moorea
Manava Suite Resort Tahiti
Pension Tarariki
Pension Tarariki
#10 of 13 in Moorea

Been to Hotel Kaveka? Share your experiences!