“Nice little guest house at the centre of the action”

Coconut Grove Bridge House
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Elmina
Peebles, United Kingdom
“Nice little guest house at the centre of the action”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2011

I was nearly put off this hotel by some of the earlier reviews but I am glad I took a risk. The situation right by the Castle of St George is fantastic and it was fun to sit on the terrace watching everything happen. The food was quite excellent and the value tremendous. GHC 45 for a single room with breakfast. It was good too to have access to the Beach Resort for free. All the staff were friendly and helpful. Quite a contract to my Accra experience.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank mordaj1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2011

We moved to the Bridge House after having a bad experience at the Prospect Lodge in Cape Coast. I think that management has changed since these last reviews. We were very please with the cleanliness of the rooms and helpfulness of the staff. We also did not have problems with theft. We did have drinks and breakfast on the terrace which is wonderful place to see the fisherman bringing in their catch while drinking a Coke or Fanta.

Also, I feel that the previous negative review about Elmina is unfair. It is a sleepy fishing town. Yes, there are youth hecklers at Elmina Castle as their are at many tourists spots around the world. It is best to be polite but firm that you are not able to help today, but by giving them money, you just perpetuated the problem.

Also the bathrooms are some of the nicest in Ghana...at least in this price range. We paid $50 per night, so I think prices have come down in recent years.An added bonus is that you can go to the Coconut Grove Beach Resort and relax on the beach as a guest of the Bridge House.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank intltravler44
Stock street
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2009

Lovely lagoon experience, watch the early morning harvest of fresh fish from the ocean.
The rooms were basic and very clean, a totally different experience. Try the fresh snapper, from the first catch harvested-whoa, a happy moment with reasonable rates.
The staffs were friendly and cheerful, they tell us new management.

Would visit again soon.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with friends
Worcester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2009

Stayed for 1 night whilst visiting Elmina. Had stayed at the Hans Cottage Botel the night before which was awful so we were pleased with the facilities at the Bridge House. On arrival I believe there was a problem with our room but our driver sorted this out with the staff and the room allocated to us was decent standard for Ghana. 2 double beds, fridge, tv, AC, flushing toilet, shower, sink and not shabby at all. The hotel is tiled floor throughout and the AC meant it was pleasant and comfortable. We seemed to be the only guests but others were using the restaurant. We sat outside in the walled area which means you can view the goings on in the town (of which there is a lot to see) in safety as the staff do not allow diners or guests to be hassled in this area.

We went to Elmina Castle and I would agree with other reviewers - it is an atmospheric place and creepy despite its whitewashed appearance. The female slave cells were the most shocking of all as the smell was overpowering - even though they haven't been in use for such a long time. It serves to slap us in the face as to how appalling the conditions were and how terribly these people were treated by our ancestors.

We walked around Elmina town and got a bit of hassle from lads wanting sponsorship but nothing too bad. We went down some of the backstreets which are very poor with open sewers etc. We were stared at and some people might have been shouting at us or about us but we ignored it and walked on. We did start to feel a bit uncomfortable walking around this very poor area and I dont feel people welcomed our presence so we didnt hang around. However around the hotel we felt fine. The hotel is opposite Elmina Castle and a great place to see the fisherman going out and coming in with their catches and to walk over the bridge to the castle. I noticed that most tourists seemed to arrive at the castle via taxi or private car and we seemed to be the only ones walking there. There was also a crazy guy outside the castle just ranting and shouting at the sea or anyone who would listen.

There is a strange atmosphere about the place but then it has a very marred & sad history so maybe thats why??? We didnt know about the hotel being used as the slave birth house (ref info in other review) but didnt notice any type of bad atmosphere at the hotel.

My thoughts are that it is an comfortable and safe base to use to see the interesting sights, sounds & smells of Elmina town and castle for 1 night but probably no more.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
Hereford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2008

Stayed here in July 2008 - our original booking was for 2 nights - we got out after 1 and would not have spent the 1 night there if there was a bus back to Accra. Didn't expect much as we were volunteer teachers and used to staying in much worse! Staff very indifferent - verging on the rude - especially the owner's daughter who was downright rude wthout trying to disguise her ostility in any shape or form. She would not let us make outgoing phonecalls even though we had told her we would pay and said the hotel did not have a phoneline??!! She totally mislead us about Cape Coast Castle, all the while laughing and joking to one of the maids in African ..clearly about us. Food was terrible (even by local standards) and believe me in Elmina there is nowhere else to eat. On the plus side, the rooms were air conditioned and had a fridge. Outside 'terrace bar' was just a walled off section on the street next to an open sewer where the street hustlers hung over the wall haranging us until we had to go to our room and even entered the bar area to hustle for money, cigarettes or indeed anything! At 9.30pm the staff were looking at us daggers when we ordered our last drink!

The town itself, although seemingly picturesque upon entering soon appears very strange and odd with an underlying feeling of hostility - the place is filthy, much worse than innercity dwellings of Accra and other such poor villages I have seen. The hustlers here are much worse also - they will not take no for an answer and beware telling any of them your name as they go off and make presents for you ...seemingly free but then produce a 'sponsor sheet' for you to 'sponsor' their school ..... to the tune of $20 a pop! When I gave a donation of a substantial amount for Ghana this was snatched and kept and when i refused to pay anymore money, the money was pocketed and so was the 'free gift'! People are not willing to help with directions or assistance and the local youths hanging around till 5am are menacing to say the least. I would certainly not recommend anyone travelling here alone - esp women.

The Slave Castle is something else ..upon entering I immediately had goosebumps and upon entering the dungeons found i could not breathe and had to leave....evil place.

The Hotel is actually a residence where the women slaves who were raped repeatedly and became pregnant were 'saved' from the slave ships and kept there ...needless to say the atmosphere in the hotel is strange to say the least and kept me awake!

All this spoilt my opinion of Ghana somewhat. I met and encountered some wonderful people on my stay, I just wish that i hadn't gone to this town and hotel - Village of the Damned!

• Liked — The a/c
  • Disliked — The abrasiveness and rudeness of the staff
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank TaraBuckley
Kwekoolio, Second-Generation Owner, Finance Manager at Coconut Grove Bridge House, responded to this review, 3 November 2009
There are a number of questionable statements in this review, beginning with the item about the owner's daughter who, at the time of the review, was busy working in a laboratory conducting research and not laughing and joking in "African."

The Bridge House is different now than it was in 2008 and is certainly different than it was 20 or 30 years ago. At no point, however, was the Bridge House a place for raped and pregnant slaves. The comment disrespects the family for whom the place was a home for over a century. Elmina, moreover, is not a "Village of the Damned" - it is a charming town with a lot of history that everyone should try and visit once in their lifetime.

Again, the Bridge House has undergone a lot of change and we will continue to work on the service, the food (considered some of the best Elmina has to offer) and the building until we have satisfied even our most difficult clients.

We appreciate honest and critical feedback - it helps us improve our hotels and create a better experience for future guests. We encourage future guests to stick to the facts as it will make the feedback you provide much more meaningful.

Travellers are raving about these Elmina hotels

Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2007

Photos of it looked great but what a disappointment! This was the most expensive hotel we stayed at in Ghana and the worst by far. US$90 a night for a room on the top floor with no working TV or fridge, the one mirror was on a wall behind a pillar, no mirror or shelf in the bathroom, dark brown water set so high I burned myself (no way to lower it), no toilet paper, no clean towels during a 2-day stay, cotton sheets of inferior quality, breakfast served in plastic storage containers we regretted opening, indifferent staff and service. No beach, no pool or facilities but we were given a slip of paper to enable us to use the pool at the Coconut Grove Beach Resort (we had to ask) - however, we had to find our own transportation there and back. It too was a disappointment, run down looking and indifferent service. They should have paid US to stay there!!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Tips/Secrets — Avoid the Coconut Grove Bridge House
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Kente
Teilhet, France
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2006

I just spend three nights with my family in the hotel. Tu put it simple: the service is close to bad, the food even closer to lousy, and the hotel overall run down and not maintained (in our room tv not working, AC not working , chairs broken, etc etc). Notably the kids facilities are all broken down.

The owner, Ghanean living in the USA, must make a fortune to charge 135 US $ a night (for a family of 4), but reducing service to mere basics. Staff was having fun, playing billard, listening to loud music, but service to clients is not at all on their strong side, although we were practically alone in the hotel.

From what I heard I would assume that staff is underpaid, but that is not my fault. I can´t see how tourism in Ghana could really develop at such a lousy price quality relation. I wanted to give it a rating of terrible, but my wife convinced me there must be something worse so I give it a rating ok, still the beaches are quite nice.

Still I can´t see any reason to make holidays there.

• Stayed March 2006
8 Thank Thomas R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elmina
Coconut Grove Beach Resort
#2 of 4 in Elmina
Ko-Sa Beach Resort
Ko-Sa Beach Resort
#1 of 9 in Cape Coast

Been to Coconut Grove Bridge House? Share your experiences!