“Interesting place to stay”

Coconut Grove Bridge House
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Elmina
Reviewed 30 April 2014

If you're just staying a night or maybe two in Elmina and are torn between this and its more expensive sister hotel a bit out of town (or similar) I'd actually recommend this as you really get to soak up the atmosphere of the town and it is perfectly located for watching the harbour and bustle of daily life. It is for this I'm giving it 4 stars; I wouldn't have wanted to stay elsewhere. For a longer stay maybe you'd want to go a bit out of town instead. V friendly and helpful staff. Nice to sit outside having meal/drinks watching the harbour. Food not particularly great unfortunately, and overpriced. It is odd that the fish is not better given the location! Room was fine. But overall glad we stayed.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank 24876S29846
There are newer reviews for Coconut Grove Bridge House

Reviewed 17 February 2014

I didn't stay there, just had my lunch after touring the Elmina Castle. Lonely Planet guidebook said it's the best place to eat in town.. in fact it is about only place to eat in town. Because except for real local eatery places, there isn't any 'western style' place to eat in the centre of Elmina. You go much further into where resorts are, then there are other places to eat. But as you walk around fishing market and look above For St. Jago, this is only place where you can eat without thinking too much about sanitation issues. Contrary to what people said here, for me food was ok. I had Calimari and I do think it's a bit overpriced but taste was alright. It does have a view as it's right in front of the castle, and though local people keep on walking by, there weren't much hassle. The real hassle however, was endless numbers of flies that tried to sit on my cup and my foods. In these type of town where nothing's really that clean, I would watch out for that. Maybe if you eat inside that's better. All in all, though not spectacular, it's an ok place to eat in Elmina. Much better than the restaurant they have inside the castle.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank kchae
Reviewed 12 November 2013

I stayed at the Bridge House for one night while visiting the Elmina and Cape Coast castles. The room was a bit dated, though clean and cozy enough with a mini-fridge. The A/C worked fine. Overall, it was a good value for the price. But if you like decent service or peaceful surroundings, you should think twice before staying here. The service was hands down the worst I've ever had at any hotel. When I arrived to check-in, the guy at front desk acted annoyed and uninterested, and barely looked at me. The following morning when I came down for breakfast (about 8:15 am), there was no one at the front desk and the kitchen door was closed. Someone finally showed up about 30 minutes later. The hotel is near a fishing port, with boats continuously coming in with loads of fish. It can be interesting to watch, but there's a constant flow of activity, with lots of noise and a strong fish smell if you open your windows. If you like to be in the middle of the action, you'll love it. If you prefer quiet, not so much. This hotel has potential, but needs a complete staff overhaul.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank T.michelle
Reviewed 12 November 2013

At GHC70 (about USD37), the CocoNut Grove BridgeHouse is the place to be.
Clean Rooms, Hot shower (you may have to tell Naa in the Reception to direct 'Old Soldier' to turn on the water mains. TV working well (at least I had one Sports Channel-watched a UEFA champions league on Super Sports 3).Fridge worked perfectly. The AC was in tremendous shape (my wife had to switch it off in during the night because it was "too cold". Clean Bedsheets. Agnes treated us to some wonderful meals-tried some Ghanaian cuisine (Red Red and Banku+Tilapia). The complimentary breakfast was cool (omelette, Jam, Bread and Coffee.
The sweetest part was that grom the Bridgehouse, one needs to just walk less than 200metres to the St George Castle. Walking to St Jago Fort (atop the hill) was less than 300metres. Open the windows in the early morning and watch the Fishermen bringing in their catch...I learnt from one of the natives that Fishing can be done every day of the week, except Tuesday(which is dedicated to the Goddess of the Sea).
Sincerely I find it hard to believe some of the negative reviews I read (maybe old reviews) because Naa was pleasant on the Phone. Agnes Smiles a lot and her meals were great! Simon is a cool guy. Naa was extremely helpful. She was practically our 'virtual tour guide'.
Maybe the negative reviews were old, because as at November, 2013, the Coconut Grove Bridge House is certainly the Best place to stay for a low-medium budget individual. Considering the amount paid, this was certainly Good Value for money.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Walshakovsky
Reviewed 10 November 2013

I arrived with a printout for a PRE-PAID room from booking.com or hotels.com and was told that we had no reservation. It was clear they were very unorganized.
We were three women, and they showed us one dingy room, with one bed. After many phone conversations back and forth with a manager at the sister place - Coconut Grove Resort, we were given round huts in their African Village. These were pleasant enough and we ate dinner in their beachside restaurant which is good. I would recommend avoiding the Bridge House, and I agree with others about extremely slow service (we tried to have lunch there), the "terrace" where hustlers hang over the wall, etc. Go to the actual Coconut Grove Resort or anywhere else!!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank LaCynthia
Reviewed 30 April 2013 via mobile

Worst food ever. Fish so dry and tasteless that you better eat wet cardboard. French fries ok. Sausage looks like plastic, but the plastic probably would taste better. Waited more the one hour for the food. Better find your food in one of the street places. Very dissatisfied. Thought a hotel chain like this would keep a higher standard.

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank jacobjacobjacob
Reviewed 29 April 2013

The price is moderate, the location superb, the whole experience ok. It was fine for 2 nights, I'm glad we didn't have more time booked. The staff were impassive and seemed sunk in depression, very difficult to raise a smile, but they did sort things out quickly. We turned up with a 3rd person (when we had booked for 2) and they moved us to a 3 bed room immediately. The bathroom was very clean, smart, and up to Western standard. The air-con unit (which worked very well) started dripping internally on the floor, they came up straight away with a bucket! Beds Ok, a bit lumpy. As with so many hotels I recommend you pack a pillow case and stuff it with your clothes - this strategy was needed here. We got up at 6.00am one morning and had a fantastic time in the early morning light, watching the boats come in and wandering the fish market - 2 mins walk across the bridge in front of the hotel. This experience would not be possible if you stayed in Cape Coast. So, a good place to focus on Elmina Fort and the village for a couple of days, an average Ghana hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank chriswilliams186273
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elmina
Coconut Grove Beach Resort
#2 of 4 in Elmina
Oasis Beach Resort
Oasis Beach Resort
#3 of 9 in Cape Coast

Been to Coconut Grove Bridge House? Share your experiences!