“Very nice hummus”
Review of Hamsika Restaurant

Hamsika Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 10 Restaurants in Lanquin
Reviewed 16 February 2018

Just when I was getting bored of traditional Guatemala food i found this little gem in the village of Lanquin. Falafel and humus were perfect. We bought beer in the nearby shop and enjoyed with freshly prepared food. Perfect.

Reviewed 15 June 2015

I recently stayed for over a week at Greengo's Hotel/Hostel and was pretty lucky to eat the majority of my meals at Hamsa Restaurant which is on the hostel's beautiful property.

It was very reassuring to see the lovely guatemalan women kitchenstaff follow Western standards of hygiene. They were all are very careful about washing their hands each time they entered the kitchen or before every task and I observed everything (lettuce, cilantro, etc) being washed and cooked with purified water as well.

The "Breakfast menu" at Hamsa comes with two eggs cooked to order, toast, a crepe with either maple syrup or chocolate, fresh vegetables and a coffee for 30Q. My other go-to was the giant fruit salad made up of all freshly cut fruit.

For lunch/dinner, the most popular dish is probably the chicken shnitzel which comes with either rice/pasta/puree/fries and a salad. I try to avoid fried food so didn't eat it myself, but it seemed to definitely be a crowd favorite. I loved the chicken salad, which contained a large portion of well-seasoned chicken cooked with onions over lettuce, the chicken fried rice, the fresh made pita bread with hummus, the shakshuka... those were my staples and it was really hard to break away from ordering those as all were excellent.

Main courses are 40-60 quetzal and there are also specials each day. Portions are very large, and I have to honestly stay in my long stay on the property, I never saw one person unhappy with the food and although portions are large, everyone must find it as delicious as me as everyone usually ate almost everything.

Greengo's is a short 400 meter walk further south from the entrance to Semuc Champey, so even if not staying at the resort but visiting Semuc on a day trip, you could still eat at Hamsa as there is a parking lot right at the entrance to Greengo's. Some visitors staying at El Portal also eat at Hamsa as apparently they were unimpressed with the food there... so that also says something about the great quality food at Hamsa.