“Great service and atmosphere”
Review of Cafe Del Sol Hotel

and 1 more site!
Cafe Del Sol Hotel
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Monterrico
Reviewed 26 February 2014

I stayed there 2 nights. The staff was really kind and helpful, specially Luis who runs the hotel. Rooms were clean, spacious and comfortable. The only downside is maybe the food, which is expensive. Besides that, we enjoyed staying there very much and certainly we will go back.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 25 January 2014

This was the second time visiting this hotel and both times were outstanding. The hotel is in a perfect beach location with a decor that feels like we have been taken away from all the chaos of our lives. The food was by far some of the best food I had on the trip with the drinks very unique and delicious. The hotel staff was able to help with vacation ideas within the entire country starting with horseback riding along the beach just footsteps from the hotel and the once in a lifetime opportunity of setting free baby turtles into the ocean. If ever given the opportunity to go to Monterrico this hotel is a must. I look forward to a third visit to this wonderful location paradise.

Room Tip: There are different types of rooms with different amenities.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 December 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights. Luis who runs the hotel really makes this place he is extremely friendly, helpful knowledgeable and happy to sit and chat or leave you to your own devices. Yes the food is slightly more than other places but we had great dinner here two nights running . There isn't a lot going on in the evening but it's Monte Rico not Ibiza, so expect to have some chilled evenings. I cannot stress this enough take high strength deet with you, the mossies are ridiculous out there (we were there in November). The rooms were clean, beds comfortable and the beer was cold. All in all had a lovely stay here and would go back. Big thanks to Luis for making our stay so comfortable. We did try and book prior to leaving the UK by email but it wasn't answered so we had our hotel in Lake Atitlan call ahead and book for us.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 August 2013

I've been in this hotel for one night. The room, the pool and the hottub were clean and the service was excellent. I haven't eat there thought (kitchen was closed, low season). Big up to Luis who leads this hotel and has been very helpful. I recommend this place to anyone!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 July 2013

I stayed for ten nights wanting quite simply to read, relax and write. Cafe del Sol was perfect for this. In the morning I'd walk on the beach, order up a coffee and a good breakfast and sit in one of the Adirondack Chairs they have on the patio and get lost in my work to the ocean sighrs and sounds.

I found the food to be good and service excellent. The grounds and pool are well maintained and my room cleaned well. Rooms closer to the ocean (in the main house) are subject to voice and radio noise when other guests are wrapping up their evening, but I never found it a bother...light sleepers and those wanting silence would be better off in the rooms across the street.
There are a few rooms with air conditioning, but even on the hotter days I didn't need it, given there is a fan in each room and usually a good ocean breeze. Some days it was too rough to swim and other days it was GREAT to get in the water and dive into the waves.

Owners Thomas and Flor take an active interest in their guests and in their community...they have launched an NGO to develop a tortoise sanctuary and small business/tourism development in a nearby town where, as is custom, tortoise eggs are collected and sold by the thousands....for human consumption. Keep up the effort, Thomas!

The hotel provided most of what I needed for my stay, and I recommend highly.

Room Tip: Two options: The original rooms close to Ocean in the main building OR in two more recently construc...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Jeff H
Reviewed 3 June 2013

This place is just beautiful and perfect for relaxing at the end of your journey or in the middle or whenever. The stuff is very friendly and nice. You can feel that they love what they do and so they help you in every way they can with any question you have. The food was also extraordinary good! You find a wide range of dishes - spanish, swiss, italien, seafood, meat, vegeterian - everything! They also got a nice bar where you can get smoothies or cocktails. I loved their mochito and their frappucino - thanks for that Luis!!! :-)

My room was great as well. It was spacious and had a nice little private (!) bathroom. It had shelves to put my things on, a table, a very good mosquito net (rectangular, so you can use the whole bed to sleep) and a fan. It was cleaned every day and every second day I got new towels and new linen (what I loved very much, because you always bring some sand into your room when returning from the beach).

The hotel is located directly at the beach, in walking-distance to the village (5 minutes and you are there). Pool and jacuzzi (yeah they got this!) are located across the street. They provide sunbeds at both places, so you always have the choice if you are in pool-mode or ocean-mode. The whole place is very clean (they even clean the beach!) and directed with a lot of love! The owners are also very kind and friedly. They are creating a turtle-project in a place nearby and even took me there to show me their plans to save turtles - great, loved it!

Thanks a lot for the very beautiful time!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 May 2013

I wrote a review before and my wife and I and several friends visited the little hotel in Monte Rico lots of times. Reading the last review of an unhappy guest makes me write again.

I was there in april 2013 and an austrian friend of mine visited the hotel at march 4. 2013. She posted on Facebook and she wrote me a long mail with fotos about the hotel and how nice it was. No complaints about food, stuff or a dirty pool.

Yes, Cafe del Sol is not a 5star Hotel, but clean, oceanfront, some rooms with AC. They have friendly and well trained stuff - if you compare it with other hotels in Guatemala. And the prices are very moderate compaired to other places in town. You can check that all on their website.
Wifi not working for 5 days - sad but possible in Guatemala and not the fault of the owner.
Monte Rico is not a big tourist town. 2003 the main road was a dirtroad and it was not safe to stay there. Lots of things changed step by step and Monte Rico is more and more attractive.

My message to the owners of Cafe del Sol:
Dont worry. There are always people complaining - just because they have personal problems.
Your place is great and got more and more advanced and nicer over the years.

My message to tourists:
Try it out and experience that Cafe del Sol is a simple but very nice and cool place to stay.

Room Tip: Get a room with AC. Monte Rico can be really hot at night too!
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends