The diving and food are quite good, the customer service is excellent. Do yourself a favor and don't go cheap on the rooms - the ones on the dock are not air conditioned and you'll regret it as it gets hotter than all hell. The rooms have standard hotel safes for your valuables, the water is safe to drink, and there is plenty of (very) hot water for the showers. I asked for a new shower head the first day there and never got it - which made for some interesting showers as most of the water went spraying out the sides of the shower head at 90 degrees.
The sand fleas will eat you alive if you let them. Personally, I consider them a public health hazard for the entire island, but some resorts have them worse than others, with AKR being on the worse list.
AKR has experienced a lot of new construction over the past couple years, and it looks like more is coming. The boats are big, have plenty of shade, and in good condition. There are lots of really good dives just a few minutes from the resort, but I advise against going to "spooky lagoon" as the water is filthy with very low visibility. I also recommend that you use a dive computer for the wreck dives as they are at the deep end of recreational diving and you'll likely end up needed a 10 minute deco stop on the way up.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Tucked away on the island of Roatan, Anthony's Key Resort is a legendary tropical wonderland where lush greenery rustles in breezy sea air. Pristine beaches rim turquoise waters. And wooden bungalows perched above a tranquil lagoon offer guests incredibly scenic views and a sense of perfect disconnection from everyday life back at home. For over 40 years, this family-run paradise has been home to divers in search of unspoiled waters, and lovers of natural adventure in all its forms.. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Agoda and Odigeo so you can book your Anthony's Key Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Anthony`s Key Hotel Sandy Bay
- Anthonys Key Sandy Bay
- Anthonys Key Hotel Roatan
- Anthonys Key Resort
- Anthony's Key Resort Honduras/Roatan - Sandy Bay