“Great diving & food. Please kill the sand fleas.” 4 of 5 bubbles

Anthony's Key Resort
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Sandy Bay
GreenLeadersBronze level
Seattle, Washington
“Great diving & food. Please kill the sand fleas.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

The diving and food are quite good, the customer service is excellent. Do yourself a favor and don't go cheap on the rooms - the ones on the dock are not air conditioned and you'll regret it as it gets hotter than all hell. The rooms have standard hotel safes for your valuables, the water is safe to drink, and there is plenty of (very) hot water for the showers. I asked for a new shower head the first day there and never got it - which made for some interesting showers as most of the water went spraying out the sides of the shower head at 90 degrees.

The sand fleas will eat you alive if you let them. Personally, I consider them a public health hazard for the entire island, but some resorts have them worse than others, with AKR being on the worse list.

AKR has experienced a lot of new construction over the past couple years, and it looks like more is coming. The boats are big, have plenty of shade, and in good condition. There are lots of really good dives just a few minutes from the resort, but I advise against going to "spooky lagoon" as the water is filthy with very low visibility. I also recommend that you use a dive computer for the wreck dives as they are at the deep end of recreational diving and you'll likely end up needed a 10 minute deco stop on the way up.

Room Tip: Dock rooms do not have AC
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank SeattleSportDiver

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (362)
Port Aransas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

This is my number two review on Trip Advisor.( after 6 years of prompts) I am a lifetime gold with Marriott and a lifetime platinum with United. I have been to Apo to the Bunaken diving
In am a world traveler and have been traveling for 5 years just diving. I have almost 1000 dives in the world in MANY places in the 5 years. This is my number four (4) stay at AKR in 48 months. My first review was for the Marriott at the Red Sea.

this firm has their act really together and will always have my business in Roatan. Period....as soon aa you get off the flight to Roatan , get through customs and there is AKR,,,,,,waiting.... forget anything else - good food, good diving with good boats, good people, good dive sites, darn good time........ what else do you need?? This is an easy 5 star for a dive adventure.
Bob

Room Tip: This is a dive location. no fitness center or room service offered or advised with the diving - yo...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Bob R
Collierville, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

I usually don't go to the trouble to write reviews, but in this case that resort is deserving. I went with a very large group (Scubaboard Invasion) for a week of eating, sleeping and diving. Not only did they accommodate the size of the group, but their organization, from the pick up at the airport to the day I was dropped off was outstanding. The food was ample and good. The lodging, although rustic, was well cred for and serviced. The dive operation was flawless.

Room Tip: Only some buildings are air conditioned and I was in one that was not. I was comfortable for the sea...
Broomfield, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

Just finished a full week at AKR. From the time our group arrived at the airport to the time we we headed through security to leave we were in good hands. The weather was perfect and the dives were amazing. The food was excellent with beautiful ocean views from the restaurant. The service was also superb. As far as diving, our dive master was entertaining but most of all knowledgeable, competent and engaged. He provided insights before the dive, brought things to our attention underwater (such as stingrays, eels, turtles, whatever) that we would likely miss on our own as we'd be looking at other things. The bungalow was really nice - air conditioned and kept clean by the attentive staff. The non-divers that came with us had fun snorkeling, kayaking, horseback riding and shopping in town (or napping!). One of the days we spent time at Maya Key. The non-divers were bussed over while we joined them between our dives. Great luncheon and historical walk. I'll stop here as the other recent reviews pretty much nailed it. This will be a tough vacation to top. Unplug and enjoy!

Room Tip: I had an east-facing bungalow with A/C. Was very nice. Others in the group faced west with the same...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank rmhco
Melbourne, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

I've been to several SCUBA Diving resorts over the years, and so far... when it comes to big resorts... Anthony's Key is the best!

My wife and I traveled to AKR for the 2014 ScubaBoard Invasion where ~65 of us arrived on or about the same day. AKR efficiently processed us in, gave us an informative "what to expect" and "what is planned" briefing... and had us in our bungalows in no time flat.

We stayed in a "Key Superior" room out on Anthony's Key itself. The room was very spacious with a king and a double bed. The bungalow was over the water and we had a huge deck off the back of the bungalow. It was very nice to kick back on the hammock and take a nap between the morning and afternoon dives. There was also a small writing table in the room which was excellent for my underwater camera equipment.

There are two bars at the resort. One is by the pool which closes at 6PM, and the other is by the dining room which was open much later. The bar tenders were great. After the first day, they knew our names and our room number. I never had to tell them again.

The dining room was open air, but the breeze kept it cool. The food was very American, but delicious. Everything we had there was wonderful. The servings were better than average size, but not over filling. For an "all inclusive" package, the food was excellent!!!

The dive operation is very organized. I was impressed with how smooth everything ran. We each had our own locker for our dive gear. No sharing... :) We did 3 dives per day. Two in the morning, and one in the afternoon. We also had 2 night dives (Tuesday & Thursday). What was different was we usually went back to the dock for our surface intervals... swap tanks... and go back out.

The resort has a dive shop, hyperbaric chamber, gift shop, doctor (inexpensive, too), museum, and snack shop... (favorite place during our surface interval)

One thing that really impressed me was the positive attitude the staff had. They were fantastic!!! They love their job, and it really shows. They went out of their way to make sure we were having a great time.

What's negative about AKR? The sand fleas ate me up, but that's my fault for forgetting to use bug spray. I didn't realize how much they liked me until it was too late. They didn't like my wife, though. She only had one, maybe two bites.

What can AKR improve? Get disposable salt grinders... Even with the rice in the salt shakers, we had a hard time salting our food.

If the opportunity comes up, I'll definitely go back to Anthony's Key Resort!!! It was an excellent experience.

Room Tip: Bring bug spray... Deet!!!!
3 Thank Scuba-Obsession
North Conway, New Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

Anthony Keys Resort is a first rate operation. The dedication to customer service was apparent throughout the staff with only a few rare exceptions.
We arrived and were promptly located and helped with our bags. The bus ride is a short 15-20 minutes that provides a few quick glimpses of island homes and businesses. While the Operations Manager gave us a briefing our bags were ferried over to our rooms on the Key. The briefing was a little overwhelming and had I realized that a guide book with much of the same information was waiting for us in our room I would not have been as anxious.
After brief refreshment we went down to the docks to arrange for dive and snorkeling gear for the week and a waterfront locker to store dive gear. Then we were off to get settled in our room where we found our bags waiting for us. The exterior and surrounding deck areas were better than I expected. However the room interior was smaller than pictures portray and the furnishings were austere with not enough luggage stands forcing us to use one of the two chairs in the room to prop up our luggage. The daily housekeeping was excellent keeping the floors sand free and the bathroom well stocked with towels. What other reviewers said about wet things not drying out easily is true. We brought plenty of clothes pins and found with good breezy and dry weather) that our wet things dried outside pretty good but inside despite the air conditioning things remained damp.
What can I say that others have not already said about the dive operation? It is pretty much flawless. Our boat was awesome. Our captain was awesome. The dive master was awesome. I am in my sixties with a knee injury and back problems but the crew helped with my gear all week long and I am so grateful for their help. Kevin and Denny in the dive shop went out of their way to find fins that fit better and arrange for Nitrox and advanced diving instruction. Pete is knowledgeable and passionate about diving and marine life and gave us an excellent Fish ID seminar.
There were a few dive sites I could have done without and there were times when I expected a little more abundant marine life. But with these few exceptions the diving was some of the best I have ever done. For us a major highlight was snorkeling and diving with the dolphins.
The food was amazing and tasted even better with the spectacular breath taking view and breeze from the open area dining rooms. Breakfast offered self- serve cereal, fresh fruit, varied from papaya, cantaloupe, pineapple, to honey dew melon along with fresh squeezed orange juice, fresh baked rolls, buns, muffins, croissants, etc. Then once seated your waiter gave you selections of eggs any style, bacon, sausage, ham, French toast, pancakes, a Honduran meal of refried beans ( to die for), eggs, plantains, two small soft tacos, goat cheese, and a rancher sauce if desired. Lunch was different everyday with at least two main meal choices along with a soup, salad, and desert. Rice was usually served or a potato. Everything was always served quickly and changes could be made easily. Dinner was varied each day with a meat and a fish choice along with soup or salad. Fresh warm rolls were served with dinner and too delicious to resist. Deserts ended the evening meal , a different one was served every night: cake, brownies, key lime pie, pumpkin pie, etc. Needless to say meal time was something my wife and I looked forward to each day.
The snorkel package enabled my wife her first experience of using a mask, fins and snorkel. Ross, the captain was patient, helpful, and brought the snorkelers to different sites twice a day: 8:30am and 2:30pm, with exceptions when there was a special event day. Both David ( the snorkel tour guide) and Ross made sure as much ocean life was seen as possible and made sure everyone in the group was safe and enjoying themselves. My wife saw: trumpet fish, parrot fish, octopus, turtles, barracuda, lobster, lion fish, sting rays, spotted ray, schools of neon blue fish, yellow fish, and black fish with iridescent blue outlining it and more types of fish than she ever thought possible. She also saw an array of magnificent colors and shapes of various types of coral. Making it even more enjoyable was the gorgeous water: clear, calm, a turquoise blue and a beautiful temperature of 82 degrees Fahrenheit.
We conclude by saying we can’t wait for an opportunity to go back to Anthony’s Key. We will continue to read other Trip Advisor reviews as we did before picking this trip; but we will be hard pressed to find a place that tops this one.

Room Tip: We had room 24 and had no complaints about the location. I think any room on the Key will have an in...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 77Northeast_traveler
Broomfield, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

You won't even realize it but once you arrive your week is already planned for you. This is a well programed diving vacation. I brought a book to read, never opened it. No time. If your the type of diver that does every dive you will be active all day and want to go to bed early. The food is very good for all inclusive, no buffet, but two entrees to choose from served at your table. The restaurant is open air with a beautiful view. You climb 40 steps for each meal. By the end of the week your legs are strong. After breakfast you get on your boat for the first dive. Most dive sites are only 5 min. from the dock so you come back for your surface interval at the dock, go to the snack shop and get back on board for the second dive. Then up the stairs for a yummy lunch which you are starving for by then. Take a break and a kayak ride around the island and get back to the boat for the afternoon dive. Rinse your gear and hang it up in your locker and head back to your bungalow for a shower or to the pool for a drink before dinner. If you stay on the island you jump on the water taxi for a one minute ride and up the stairs for dinner. There are other activities thrown in as well. A picnic between dives at Maya Key was great and the Island Fiesta was a great BBQ with live entertainment and hermit crab races. You can also swim with the dolphins and go on a shark dive. Two nights a week you can go on the night dive which usually lasts for an hour and I saw octopus on both dives. The week is full if your do all the activities like I did. I was in bed by 9pm and up with the sun each day. The food is very healthy and well prepared. The fish is awesome, moist and delicious. I stayed in bungalow 21 (sunrise side) on the island over the water. As long as there was a breeze there were no bugs but do bring spray for your ankles because the no-see-um will get you. The wifi worked great on the island. There are no phones or TV's except at the bar. You won't miss it. I really miss this place and I will be back.

Room Tip: The best bungalow on the island is 31. It's on the sunset side.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandy Bay
Barefoot Cay
Barefoot Cay
#1 of 5 in French Harbour
Bananarama Beach and Dive Resort

Been to Anthony's Key Resort? Share your experiences!