“Diving trip”

Anthony's Key Resort
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Sandy Bay
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 22 July 2014

A group of scuba divers tried this place for the first time (they usually go to Bonaire) and I, a non-diver, went along for the ride. Although the group preferred the diving at Bonaire, I'm writing to tell you about the accommodations, which were superior. You get to the cabins near or over the water by boat, which run constantly. The cabins and grounds were kept immaculate and for a tropical area, there were very few bugs. The beds were comfortable, the bathrooms were nice, the air conditioning was not noisy. You take the boat back to the mainland for meals, of which there are only 2 choices of entree, but most of the time the food was good. The restaurant is high up so it has a wonderful view; however, the 54-step climb to get there was murder on my arthritic hip 3 times a day. The table we were assigned was in a corner and it tended to get quite hot (only a ceiling fan) so try to get a table in more open air. The waiters were quite helpful. Once or twice a week they have a BBQ on the island where the cabins are that is fun. There are a few things nearby to see, like a small zoo and Mayan ruins and there are dolphin encounters right on the property (again by boat). There's a nicely landscaped pool on the island in the middle of all the cabins - an easy walk yet hidden by lush plants. Although the main purpose of this resort is for divers, I very much enjoyed my week there.

Room Tip: There are some cabins at the far end of the island that are not air conditioned. Spring for the ext...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank sandybrower

Reviewed 18 July 2014

My almost 11year old grandson recently attended Dolphin Camp at Anthony's Key Resort. It was a wonderful week for him. He got to spend time with dolphin trainers, swim with the dolphins,horseback ride on the beach, snorkel....and more.
The staff were wonderful,kind,responsible,patient and very helpful.
Thank you Yolanda, Kim (scuba instructor) and Sally (sea life and counsellor), thank you for all your help in making this a great week for Noah.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I did a half way scuba diving trip with Anthony's Key Resort. This trip was so amazing - it has made me want to dive more! It was my first experience and they were amazing from start to finish. After our instructions course, we were broken into small groups of 4 and had 2 guides with us. They were amazing at keeping us safe and making sure we had fun. I really wish the trip was longer - once I realized how comfortable and fun diving was, I didn't want to stop! I totally recommend them and I hope I get to come back just to stay at their resort and dive more! It was also neat to see the dolphins near by while we were gearing up.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Traveled with my family of 4 (2 teenagers) to Anthony's Key (AKR) June 28-July 5 with our dive shop, Marsh Scuba. This was my first time going to a Scuba Diving resort! I was a little worried since I am not an avid diver like my husband and most of the people in our group. I did research AKR on tripadvisor before hand so I had some knowledge on what to expect. Most of the information in previous reviews were correct.The resort is beautiful! Very well kept, clean and of course tropical. You had a spectacular view no matter where you looked.
We stayed in the cabins off the main island. We shared our cabin area with another family of 4 traveling in our group and it was great. Our large shared deck overlooking the ocean had three hammocks so you could sit and enjoy the fantastic view and soothing sounds of the ocean tapping the rocks below us!
Rooms were a good size, beds were very comfortable!! Cleaning lady was not the best but nothing to really complain about. Never really missed having TV because you had free wi-fi in your room or in main lobby house.
Had to get used to taking a small motor boat over the main island to do anything. But after a few times you got to know the boat drivers and they made it fun. One young man even let my son drive the boat across! Our island did have a very nice pool with bar so that was convenient.
The staff at the resort were wonderful! Most were very helpful and very friendly.
The meals (3/day) were good. There was a small selection for lunch and dinner with dessert. Breakfast was my favorite! You could choose from fresh fruit and muffins or cereal or eggs, pancakes, french toast,etc. Waiters on both shifts were great! Very accommodating! Loren was our guy for breakfast and lunch and I have shamefully forgotten the name of the gentleman in the evening! He was a big teddy bear! Was very concerned for me when I was sick for 2 days with stomach flu (a few people in my group had it too).
Diving was wonderful. I didn't dive as much as others in my group because of illness but when I did, it was great! Our divemaster was Jeromie!! fantastic! He knew right from the practice dive that I was not as comfortable as the others and paid special attention to me every trip to make sure I was ok. He and the boat captain took care of everyone with individual attention with gear and any questions we had. My husband went on every dive and loved all of them. One night dive was just ok.
My daughter and I participated in the Action Dolphin swim and LOVED it!! Bucket list item checked off!! The dolphin area is accessible every day and we "visited" almost every day and sat on the dock and watched the dolphins work and play. They would swim over to us and check us out! It was the best part of my trip! Highly recommend it! My husband and son did the dolphin dive and loved it too! They also did the shark dive and said it was a great experience! The video is amazing to watch! So many sharks swimming around them!! Highly recommend!
Mayan Key lunch and walk about was fun. The small "zoo" was ok. I felt bad for the animals in those small enclosures! Lunch was good and again the views from their beach were amazing!
My review would have been 5 stars if it wasn't for the sand fleas! I brought my own bug spray and suntan lotion with bug repellent and then bought their stuff too at the snack-shop! YOU MUST spray yourself every time you leave your room!!!!! One of the ladies in our group was literally covered in the first afternoon with bites! She went to doctor and had to take medication to help her. We all at some point were dealing with multiple bites! Our last afternoon was spent at the pool and we thought being in the water would help keep them at bay. Well we got home and we were covered with bites!! My husband's legs were literally covered with red bites! all of us still have the marks on us and we have been home a week!
Summary: Beautiful place, great staff, great diving, bad bugs!!!

Room Tip: Rooms with air-conditioning on Anthony's key off main island.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Could not have had a better dive experience. My son is new to diving and had a three day private lesion with the Dive instructor Diana. After three days he was certified and spend the rest of the week diving with me. Our dive master Sherwin and Boat Captain Kenly made all our dives enjoyable. I would highly recommend this resort for family's with children just learning to dive.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 July 2014

When my wife and I got married 10 years ago, we made a bucket list of travel destinations and quickly decided that because there were so many places we wanted to visit that we would never return to the same resort twice. However, because of the fantastic time we had last summer, this was our second trip to Anthony's Key Resort (AKR) - and it will not be our last.

Part of what made this such a fantastic experience for my wife and I was that our 8 year old son had such a good time. AKR, in a brilliant move a few years ago, came up with an idea for "Dolphin Camp" - giving the children of divers a great option and allowing a family to truly have a family vacation where there is something for everyone - while still leaving plenty of time for families to spend time together.

The diving is fantastic - our boat captain was a guy named Kenly (awesome) and our Dive Master was John Carter (also awesome) - these 2 guys absolutely made our trip. Knowledgeable, experienced, safe - I cannot say enough great things about them.

If you read through these all these TripAdvisor reviews, you'd think the island was infested with Sand Fleas / NoSeeUm's. The first year we came to AKR, hardly noticed them at all. This year we did get bit from time to time, but not nearly as often as you'd think from simply reading these reviews. Suntan lotion and a little repellant will keep them at bay - I wouldn't be too concerned.

Don't waste a bunch of time like I did trying to find / request the ideal room (if you're staying on the key). They all are great and have different advantages over the others. We loved 37 as it is the only one with a deck that extends off the outside covered porch (some bungalows share a porch - ours did not). If I went back, I would pick number 30 as I was able to stick my head in this one (occupied by a couple on our boat) and they had a fantastic sunrise view. Otherwise - they're all pretty much the same. I did create a 10 minute youtube video where I walked around the key with my GoPro. Very amateur - because you can't post URL's here, just go to YouTube and look for Anthony's Key Resort and my name (Matt McLelland) - I have a channel there. It'll give you an idea of what everything looks like.

A few diving suggestions. Definitely do the optional (optional = more $$) shark dive - I dive with sharks every month in our local aquarium (I'm a volunteer) and thought I'd been with sharks enough - but this really is a great show. We also did the optional dolphin dive - we'd done it the previous year and really enjoyed it. In both instances, you have a controlled close up experience with them in the training area - meet them, touch them, learn about them. Then they take you 5 minutes off shore and you dive to 60 feet to a big sandy bottom and they're supposed to follow you out and play with you. In both instances, the dolphins don't show up until the last 10 to 15 minutes (they advertise it as a full 40 minute dolphin experience). We felt kind of cheated since we'd done it twice with similar results both times. Talked to other divers who also shared our experience. Bottom line - definitely do it once. But unless they offer some sort of option to let you dive a second time if you don't get to see them much the first time, I'd skip it.

The food is OK - not great - but I never went hungry. They are VERY good about special requests and special ordering. One morning I ordered something that wasn't even on the menu and they were able to accomodate. The servers are fantastic (Selase, Saul, Perry were our favorites). The food was better last year than this year. I would like to see more local dishes, freshly caught fish from the island (all their seafood comes from the mainland), and local fruits. Don't get me wrong - the food is definitely good - just not great. I've shared more detailed opinions with their management.

A few other comments. Very laid back - no need to bring anything other than bathing suits and tee shirts. Very relaxed, slow paced. Bring lots of sunscreen - you can purchase spray cans in their gift shop for $30 USD!! Bring cash for tips - and if you're European and not used to tipping, know that part of their income depends on this. Wireless internet is free, but not the fastest in the world (watching streaming Netflix will be impossible). If you have a GoPro, get a red filter and an extendable pole - the 2 most forgotten items on our boat!

Bottom line, this place is fantastic. The diving is great. The staff is great. The island is beautiful. The resort owners give alot back to the community - they really are great people. We will definitely go back and I would highly recommend this to anyone.

Room Tip: All key rooms are great - if you're a sunrise person, look for rooms on the East Side.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank HGPilot
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Our cruise ship stopped in Roatan and we went to Anthony's Key Resort for the Dolphin Swim and Snorkel tour. Our trainer was very knowledgeable and informative. The groups for the Dolphin discovery were limited to 10 which was just right. After the trainers did their part a group of ~ 20 swam and snorkeled with the dolphins and it was wonderful. I would recommend this to any dolphin lover and if I ever make it back there again will certainly go again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Barefoot Cay
#1 of 5 in French Harbour
Infinity Bay Spa and Beach Resort
Seagrape Plantation Resort

Been to Anthony's Key Resort? Share your experiences!