“A Week in Roatan through a Divers Mask”

Anthony's Key Resort
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Sandy Bay
GreenLeadersBronze level
Fort Pierce, Florida
“A Week in Roatan through a Divers Mask”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Anthony's Key Resort Review
Ok, so like many we come to Roatan to dive everyday first and everything else is 2nd.
With that being said this was our second trip to the island in past 3 years and first with Anthony's key. This provided a good basis to compare the 2 all-inclusive dive resorts. See my prior review about the other resort.
Flight down pretty standard, arrived Saturday midday and typical Caribbean airport congestion and confusion. Find luggage, walk a few feet, put through scanner, and you’re in the terminal. Found our guy pretty easy and he made sure everything got loaded in the luggage truck while we waited 5-10 mins more for the people van to make its way through the line.
Arrival and check in at the resort is pretty fast and they go over the basic's, issue keys, etc. and then you’re having lunch. FYI you will not dive Saturday no matter what time you get there.
The dive set up flows like this, issued locker key, weights and boat assignment. You’re on the same boat all week. You put your locker number on the board each day for the dives you want do. 8:30, 10:30, 2:30 and Tue. and thur additional 6:30pm night dive. Each day the write the dive site number that corresponds to the map so keeping your log book up is very easy.
Locker set up is ok, don't expect anything to dry out overnight, and at the end of each day there’s a mad dash for rinse tanks and gear storage. In my opinion if they staged the boats about 5-10 mins apart they could avoid that situation. Adding a few more rinse tanks would help too since after diver number 5-6 your tank has as much salt as the Sea...........lol.
The boats are all set up well with typical giant stride entry and ladders for getting back on the boat. We had a great DM (Alson) and Boat Captain (Jimmy) aka Pando according to his coworkers.
Dive sites are all good with a variety of walls, swim through and some sand bottom areas. There is 2 wreck dives also but or group only did one, more on that adventure later. All sites have mooring buoys so no damage is done to the reef.
Typical dive profile would be 1st dive 80' max depth working to about 30' with a total dive time of 45 mins. 2nd and 3rd dives a little less 60' max and normal 45min dive. The wrecks are in about 110' and the openings are big enough for most divers to feel comfortable about doing the penetration.
Boats return after each dive to the dock, morning you have an hour to get a snack or address any equipment problems, ect. You could go back to your room with no trouble but we stayed around the dock. After the 2nd dive you come back have lunch and still an hour or so to kill we typically went over to the pool for a swim and chat about the morning dives.
At the end of the day you pull the weights out of your BC and leave them under your seat on the boat. You’re on the same boat all week and the same spot so no worries. Rinse your equipment and store in the locker. Let me add if you dive Nitrox like we do you will need to analyze your tanks ahead of time. We found the best way is at the end of the day we did 2 tanks for the morning dives. After the 1st dive we would do our 3rd tank and a 4th if it was Tues or Thur for the night dive. Since there are only to analyzer stations it's better to be ahead of the game on that one.
On the boat the DM and boat captain will switch over your tanks and they carry then form the Nitrox Shack to the boat. Back home we have to lug the tanks and do our own switch over so we really liked that part.
Before I end the dive segment I need to share a story. One of the divers on our boat lost their Go Pro on our afternoon Thursday dive. Friday morning we as group decided to skip the wreck dive and go back to that site and see if we could find the GoPro. To make it interesting we ran the route backwards. The diver mention a few spots he felt it might have come off the attachment. So off we all go knowing this is going to be the proverbial needle in a haystack. About 15 min into the dive I went into a crack I had seen him swim though while my better half checked the surrounding sandy area. Nothing in the crack but as I turned she was going to the bottom and guess what.........SHE found the GoPRO. So even in the vast ocean sometimes god smiles on you. That was a high point when our entire boat came together and memory we will all cherish.
Since diving is first and everything else is second let me say the food and dining set up is really great. Plenty to eat, good service no need to bring snack food. We had same wait staff all week and in a day or two they knew what we liked and our names.
The rooms are fine, nothing fancy but good water pressure and plenty of hot water. AC did good job and had a mini fridge we never did use. WIFI is ok, think it logs you out if you sit idle to long. We stayed on the Hill so I can't comment on the water view cabins.
We also enjoyed the Pool, after the last dive we would go for our PPC time. That's Pool, Pina Colda and Chocolate.......lol. Good service there and the pool was like 92 degrees.
I would recommend a massage at the spa, book early if you want a Friday after a week of diving, take it from me it's worth every penny. After diving all week the little aches and pains becoming more noticeable this was the cure.
Finally is money, you won't need any all week. Everything from the Bar to the gift shop is sign your name and go. At the end of the week they have a print out and each receipt you signed, this part of the operation is very efficient and accurate.
Tipping.......tip well to those who gave you good service. For us the people make the trip and all the people who took care of us made our trip really special, relaxing and stress free.
The only thing I would like to see improve is the coffee service. As an avid coffee drinker we often had to wait until after 6am for fresh coffee. Our bodies were still on EST so by 5:30 am I was ready for coffee. Hopefully they can assign that duty to be done right away when kitchen staff arrives.
I would recommend Anthony's Key Resort to Divers of all still and experience levels, they make the effort to help the newer divers and give a little more discretion the more experienced divers. One of the best and most relaxing dive trips we have ever had.

Room Tip: We stayed on the Hill While most prefer the over water rooms
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jeff C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (372)
Honduras
Reviewed 9 August 2014

I completed my IDC (Instructor Development Course) at AKR in March of this year. I have waited several years for AKR to offer the IDC again (living in Florida with plenty of options for an IDC, I knew I only wanted to do this program at AKR and was willing to wait for it) and it was everything and more than I expected. The Course Director, Tati communicated the expectations and requirements for the course before I even arrived on the island. Being very familiar with the island (I've been visiting for 8 years) I knew what the dive sites were like and the day to day operations of the resort. My children and I visited AKR 8 years ago as guests (my kids participated in the dolphin camp and I, on the diver package) and were sold to the resort and island at that point. The IDC program is extremely comprehensive and stressful yet Tati made it fun for me! It was go-go-go for 2 1/2 solid weeks. The level of learning on the IDC put diving on a new level for me. Tati is very organized and hands-on. She has high expectations for her Instructor Candidates and I appreciated the level of difficulty. I didn't want to "skate by" on my IDC or "just pass." I wanted to be pushed to a new and better level of diver and Tati made sure she did that for me. She made it a point to make sure I felt comfortable with all of my skills and requirements before the final exams. I needed some extra time with the physics portion of the course and she arranged to have someone work more one-on-one with me until I was confident in that section. I would highly recommend the IDC at AKR with Tati to anyone. The level of professionalism from Tati and the AKR Divemasters and Boat Captains that we worked with was outstanding!

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank reefswimmer12
Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

My husband and I came to AKR to scuba dive on a beginners scuba excursion. Dianna and the rest of the crew were very personable and knowledgeable. My husband is certified,but I am not and this was my first experience diving. I will never forget the day as it was a wonderful memory that my husband and I had together. I'm thankful they are cool enough of a resort to offer something like this! Thank you Dianna for the great day;) enjoy those beautiful waters girl!

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Amanda F
Ft. Myers, Fl.
Reviewed 4 August 2014

This resort is one fantastic location for scuba divers, If you dive, this resort is a must. If you don't dive, this resort is a must. Peaceful and tranquil; no TV and loud parting and no screaming kids. From the moment we arrived at the airport, there was someone to greet our group and handle all the luggage right to our rooms. The staff everywhere was smiling, friendly, always helpful. The facilities are wonderful, dive lockers for your dive gear, snack shop for drinks or snacks between dives. Assigned to a dive boat for the week with a captain and dive master for the week as well. The dive sites close by and teeming with various sea life. When you're not diving the wait staff and food at the restaurant is great. Nothing was more exciting than the shark dive, it was awesome! This place exceeded my expectations in every way. The pool and pool bar were a great way to relax after diving and before dinner. Can't say enough about the entire staff and my personal thanks to our dive instructor Diana who got us through our Advanced diver course. Can't wait to return someday!

Room Tip: Get the "superior" rooms with the A/C.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank squishynfurry
Dunnellon
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Comprehensively, one of the best resorts for SCUBA divers (and their non-diving companions) to which I've been. From the time they met us at the airport till the time they delivered us back, all around outstanding organization. Accommodations, food, service, dive boats, facilities, quality of dives and staff. A definite "must" on any SCUBA divers list. I especially enjoyed the fact that, as divers, we spent no more than 15 minutes on the boat getting to the dive sites. Quality and quantity of sea life on the reefs is better than many places in the Caribbean due to the fact that the reefs have and are being protected (Marine Sanctuary).

Room Tip: ask for one on the key ("cay").
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Independence, Iowa
Reviewed 29 July 2014

My daughter and I did the dolphin encounter and snorkel. It was simply amazing; and awe inspiring time of our lives that we will never forget. The snorkel portion is well worth the money. We set out in to the lagoon on our own to swim, touch and exist with a pod of 14 dolphins for an hour.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Valley Stream, New York
Reviewed 22 July 2014

A group of scuba divers tried this place for the first time (they usually go to Bonaire) and I, a non-diver, went along for the ride. Although the group preferred the diving at Bonaire, I'm writing to tell you about the accommodations, which were superior. You get to the cabins near or over the water by boat, which run constantly. The cabins and grounds were kept immaculate and for a tropical area, there were very few bugs. The beds were comfortable, the bathrooms were nice, the air conditioning was not noisy. You take the boat back to the mainland for meals, of which there are only 2 choices of entree, but most of the time the food was good. The restaurant is high up so it has a wonderful view; however, the 54-step climb to get there was murder on my arthritic hip 3 times a day. The table we were assigned was in a corner and it tended to get quite hot (only a ceiling fan) so try to get a table in more open air. The waiters were quite helpful. Once or twice a week they have a BBQ on the island where the cabins are that is fun. There are a few things nearby to see, like a small zoo and Mayan ruins and there are dolphin encounters right on the property (again by boat). There's a nicely landscaped pool on the island in the middle of all the cabins - an easy walk yet hidden by lush plants. Although the main purpose of this resort is for divers, I very much enjoyed my week there.

Room Tip: There are some cabins at the far end of the island that are not air conditioned. Spring for the ext...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Mayoka Boutique Hotel
#4 of 5 in Sandy Bay
Bananarama Beach and Dive Resort
Seagrape Plantation Resort

Been to Anthony's Key Resort? Share your experiences!