“Great scuba resort”

Anthony's Key Resort
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Sandy Bay
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 27 August 2014 via mobile

My first trip to Roatan and I was really impressed by the island and the resort. We stayed in a bungalow on the island and although it is basic it was just what we were looking for. A private and romantic escape. We spent a lot of time lounging on our hammocks out on our deck when weren't diving. The entire dive operation...staff, equipment, dives and organization of everything was great. Our boat did break down and wind up being towed in one time but because the dive sites are all within about 10 minutes it really wasnt a big deal. We did do rhe shark dive and it was the highlight of the trip for me. Very well run and great video to purchase after.

The grounds were extremely well kept and it felt as though we often had the island all to ourselves.

Areas for improvement would be.... providing fruit or snacks after dives on the boat. Also the waiters were really not too friendly. They were fine but didnt have the same friendly enthusiasm we encountered from the rest of the staff. I felt the food was pretty good but I do feel breakfast should have started earlier and there should have overall been more food available that was included. We were there to dive and only had 4 nights so we were not looking for night life but if we had been there longer and wanted to do more than dive I think we definitely would have had to of ventured outside of the resort. Finally....the nosee ems are bad. Bug spray did help but I have to tell you I have been home for a week now and its like the little boogers came home with me. This isnt the resorts fault I dont know what they could do about it really. Its a Roatan thing I think.
I would definitely come back here and would actually like to bring my kids along to try out the dolphin camp!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Liz D

Reviewed 26 August 2014

The entire experience was amazing for my child! As a parent and a teacher I liked what I observed. I was not sure what to expect as for the standards of care in a Third World country so I stayed behind on the first and second day and I was very impressed by how Sally, the camp's leader, looked after the children in the camp. She was very professional, personable, and well liked by the kids. I hope she will be there next year when I book my younger child in.
There were many other people in the Anthony's keys Resort to mention such as Yolanda Miller who promptly booked my daughter in through e-mail communication, Then she introduced herself personally when we were there, It was nice to put a person behind the e-mails we exchanged.
If you have traveled through Honduras you might have noticed that people in stores or in positions involving customer service don't smile too much or put much effort to help a customer. It might make sense in the light of extremely minimal wages in the service industry in Honduras, however, it was not true at Anthony's Keys. Majority of people we met were very personable, helpful and pleasant. I did my little "reseach" on how long the people I met there worked for the resort and to my surprise most of them were employed at Anthony's Key for many years: 25 , 19, 24, 7 etc ..year. I think it is a great indication that the Resort provides a stable, living- wage employment and treats its employees right so that in exchange, they become loyal, long-term employees. Loved the ladies at the front desk as well. Thank you Sherri.
if you are looking for a resort with all the wastetfull buffets and luxury don't come here. This is a a place where experiences matter: people, dolphins, other sea creatures and conservation within an experience of a life= time for your children, this is your place!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 August 2014

just spend 8 days @AKR. diving location is great, diving team are really pro and nice,equipment from BCD to boats very good. Diving part of AKR is a five star resort.
unfortunately the lodge, which has all the potential to be one of the best best in the area requires some turn around. Food is "decent" with limited choice. Waiters!!! first time in my life I saw waiter eating customers leftovers in the dining room. What is doing the senior management? Breakfast still don't understand why bacon is every over day only etc.
lodging need refurbishing; Deluxe bungalo is deluxe 20 years old. (like the curtains.and deco...) . Animation almost non existant so a 8 PM every one is in his room. Sand flies are for free in the island.

Room Tip: take a room on the tiny island. Those on the restaurant side are in the middle of the trees with n...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 August 2014

When there are so many great dive destinations, it says a lot when you repeat a location, and this was a repeat for us. This resort is all-inclusive (except for alcohol - but don't worry they have two for one happy hours) and is a lot of things. It is a diver's dive resort with 3 to 4 boat diverse boat dives a day (including an awesome wreck - Aguilla - with large grouper, free swimming moray, scorpion fish, and drums). The diving is good - lots of turtles, fish, squid, eels. They have a fleet of dive boats and their service spoils you. Shore diving is also included. The resort also caters to non-divers. For families, non-divers, and a break, they also run daily snorkeling trips. They also have kayaks which many families used early morning or later in the afternoon before dinner.

In addition, the resort has different scheduled activities, like beach barbeques, a weekly trip to their private island with rescued animals (birds, monkeys, jaguar, ocelots), lunch barbeque, snorkeling, beach, etc. Overall, the food was also very good. This visit, we took our son. We were planning on snorkeling with him and doing some dolphin encounters at the attached/adjacent Marine Institute, but since it was summer, he was able to do the kid's camp (which I was previously unaware of). It is a great program for the kids. Each day, they spend time feeding the dolphins and learning hand signals for them, snorkeling off the beach, doing "bubble makers" (pre-scuba), swimming at the pool, and spending time doing different activities in the clubhouse (crafts, making a pinata). They even went horse back riding. My son had an excellent time. I was also amazed at how much diving we got in on this family trip (which we weren't expecting). The activities coordinated with dive times allowing us to get in 3 to 4 dives a day still having family time. There was a relaxing two hours together every day for lunch, and meeting at 4:30 each afternoon for pool time and dinner. On night dive nights, the kids had a dinner and movie, getting out just in time to join us for dinner (growing kids sometimes want to eat twice!). There was no problem taking the kids out to just enjoy the afternoon, snorkel together, or take another type of excursion. The dive shop also offers additional excursions for shark dives.

Loved the accommodations which are bungalows, most of them stand alone units (bedroom and bathroom) with an open air covered (keeps the rain off of anyone in the hammocks or trying to dry swimsuits) deck. One warning - this is an ocean front resort, but does not have a large beach (except on the private island trip). There is a small slice of beach where the kayaks are. This is not a trip for those who only want to lay on the sand. Divers, snorkelers, all-around trip, relaxing in hammocks, amazing kid's camp, yes!

Bottom line - Great place and a lot to do. Never thought about families there (since we previously went in November), but what an amazing experience for the kids.

Room Tip: If you are carrying large dive camera equipment, ask for a bungalow close to the dock. If it is sum...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank cdaughe
Reviewed 18 August 2014

This was our 2nd visit to Anthony's Key! The resort is beautiful! It's private, quiet and the grounds are exceptionally maintained. The restaurant offers well-prepared meals that are delicious and healthy with soups and vegetarian options; thanks to Perry and Marcos for your kind assistance. There are 2 bars, at the pool and on the hillside (thanks to Timmy and Raul). The bungalows are very comfortable; we stayed on the hillside this time instead of the key and the air conditioning was nice. There were lots of lizards around, small green fellows and 2 that were 3-4 feet! Remember to pack insect repellent as the no-seeums will seek you out. What can't be said about the diving?! Unbelievable clarity and visibility and water temps in the mid-80's. Many of the dive sites are only minutes from the resort. There is a dolphin encounter available as well. Grouper, four-eyed butterflyfish, sergeant majors, parrotfish, turtles, queen angelfish, moray eels, blue tangs and the list goes on. There is a shark dive available (highly recommended!); while it is a staged event, it's still thrilling to swim with 10-15 reef sharks, some as long as 8-10 feet! There are 2 wrecks to dive, The Odyssey and El Aguilla. There is a trip to Maya Key, another facility on the other side of the island where you can learn about the Mayan culture as well as see a wide assortment animals in their animal rescue center (howler monkeys, jaguar, parrots, ocelots). Many thanks to our boat captain Ruppert and our Divemaster Sherwin for taking such good care of us! Awesome to dive with you! Thanks to Kevin in the dive shop for all the help and the hose repair. Anthony's Key is a very special place and we enjoyed our return - we'll be back again! Highly recommended!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank klong1212
Reviewed 16 August 2014

My friend and I just returned from a week at Anthony's Key Resort. We finished up our open water PADI certification. It was a great experience - wonderful instructor and dive master. We felt well taken care of and in good hands. The dive master and boat captain made sure we were comfortable when we were "on our own" and they were always so helpful (helping switch tanks, getting "unturtled" and out of the boat. The food was an unexpected surprise. Every meal was very good, especially with Selase's special hot sauce (you have to ask him about it - he doesn't promote it and you definitely need to take some home with you). I think I'm spoiled and my next dive trip will have a hard time measuring up to Anthony's Key!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank leslie r
Reviewed 13 August 2014

It was a dream. I can't think of a single thing I would say bad about Anthony's Key. The staff even spoke some English for us which I thought was very nice! We got dive certified there start to finish and I can't say enough great things about Pete- the dive instructor. Pack your bags and relax- it's a dream spot.

Room Tip: Get a room on the Key! Taking the boat back in forth is part of the journey!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Infinity Bay Spa and Beach Resort
Paradise Beach Hotel
Paradise Beach Hotel
#4 of 14 in West Bay

Been to Anthony's Key Resort? Share your experiences!