“A tropical Eden”

and up
Customizeable Best Of Roatan Island Tour
Ranked #7 of 20 things to do in Sandy Bay
More attraction details
Owner description: The 100% natural 40 acres of the Carambola Botanical Gardens and their many jungle trails offer a perfect place for hiking, wildlife and scenic photography, eco tours, bird watching, nature studies, and of course, relaxation. So, "take a walk on the wild side" and watch the playful Monkey La La scurry along jungle trails as you enjoy flowering plants, orchids, medicinal plants, exotic spices, fruit and nut trees, including the very popular "Chocolate Tree" and the world famous Honduran mahogany tree.
Reviewed 22 October 2013

I live here half the year and just did the garden tour today. I cannot believe I waited 8 years for this incredible experience! It was absolutely amazing! 30 some acres ( no, we did not traverse 30 acres!) with lush jungle foliage, ginger, carambola, herbs, vanilla, bromeliads, coffee beans, guava, papaya, cinnamon, yucca, aloe..far too many to mention! My guide was the owner Mr. Bill who began the gardens in 1985. He is so incredibly, kind, knowledgable and very willing to answer any and all queries. The property is interspersed with palapas, hammocks,and swings should you feel the need to rest. There are our local hummers (not the car, the birds!), our woodpeckers, anole and iguana. This is a not to be missed visit to a tropical Eden!

1  Thank hotcarib

Reviewed 14 October 2013

Went to the park as part of an excursion booked through a cruise line. The park was beautiful and the trails are well maintained. The tour guide was very informative and I especially enjoyed the presentations on medicinal plants and spices. At the end of the tour, fresh local fruits were cut up and shared. Had to chuckle about some people complaining about the mugginess. It's a rain forest people. lol Make sure to bring a bottle of water for the train.

1  Thank Dave L
Reviewed 1 October 2013

I stayed at the nearby and amazing Tranquil Seas Resort, where the owners told me of Carambola. I brought a parabolic microphone and binoculars for recording and watching birds. I was not disappointed. At least three species of Hummingbirds right by the entry door, Golden-fronted Woodpeckers (A subspecies that only occurs on Roatan and nearby islands) everywhere, Prothonotary Warblers, Northern Waterthrushes, Flycatchers, White-crowned Pigeons, and more I haven't ID'd, yet. There wasn't another soul around through the entire hike up to the mountain view of the ocean and reefs. Butterflies, lizards, and amazing flowers. Bring a litre of water for the hike and do it!

2  Thank DukeBirds
Reviewed 9 August 2013

Such a beautiful nice place to take your time and enjoy nature. There are will maintained paths to follow as you view all the flowers and plants. You can take all the time you want and there are several areas to just sit and enjoy the peaceful surroundings. Hear birds and see lizards.

2  Thank PackRatiam
Reviewed 23 July 2013

This is a beautiful botanical garden with trails for hiking beyond the garden area. We must have been there several hours (lost track of time). We hiked up the hill for a view of the water on a well maintained trail. At the top, you find a bench to sit and take in the view for a while. After returning to the garden area, we walked around exploring all the different native plants and flowers. We also enjoyed the chickens that roam freely through the gardens. It was not crowded at all the day we were there and we practically had the place to ourselves.

2  Thank speteachmr