“Dolphin Dive excursion from CruiseLine”

Roatan Institute for Marine Sciences - Anthony's Key Resort
More attraction details
Owner description: The Roatan Institute for Marine Science (RIMS) is ideally located for marine study on the northwest coast of Roatan where over 30 miles of fringing and barrier reefs, seagrass beds, mangroves and shoreline are home to an astonishing profusion of life. Founded in 1989, the primary objective of this facility is the preservation of Roatan's natural resources through education and research. In the past decade RIMS has established itself as a dedicated teaching institution. Our facility is visited year-round by colleges, universities and high schools from abroad to study tropical marine ecosystems and the bottlenose dolphins we house at our facility. Many programs are for academic credit, some are in conjunction with other field research stations, and others are simply introductory courses to the ecology of coral reefs in the Caribbean.
Reviewed 9 August 2013

I have to give this an average rating for this excursion. The dive resort itself is unique, safe, peaceful and clean. It is a short ride from the cruise dock - an interesting ride through what I imagined Honduras would actually look like and something my 16 years old should see - rural poverty. We had to pass a mask clearing test before going for the dive. The dive guide was efficient, but not really personable. There is a "dolphin experience" before the dive begins where the dolphins are kept. This was a really neat experience, because our group was small and it was an intimate setting and it seemed like it was just us and the dolphins - very special. The diving portion is touted as diving with dolphins freely swimming around you (at about 60 ft). This is not true and somewhat of a disappointment. The dolphins are trained dolphins and are going through a routine really with their trainer who is along. There is nothing to see at the location at 60' (except one very large lion fish!) And if you are one of the first down, you must wait until the entire group is down on the bottom, until the activity begins. The water was very rough and this caused problems for many divers trying to get down to the bottom. I must say that my daughter loved the experience with the dolphins, having never been diving with them before.
My drawbacks are many though- the most important being that my daughter and I both suffered fire coral burns. We should be aware as divers but we were not warned of this - and the situation being that we had to do our safety stop by hanging on to a mooring line that was covered with fire coral - and since the water was so rough, our hands were being constantly dragged across the fire coral. When we surfaced, the dive guide did use vinegar to neutralize the stings, however, my daughter's were so bad she had to take oral steroids when we returned home! I would say the Dolphin experience only is exceptional and would give that a "very good"

Reviewed 5 August 2013

I spent time diving with Antony's key while staying on beautiful Roatan and met some of the greatest people. Pete&Tati are some of the nicest people I've ever had the pleasure of diving with. They were both very familiar of the dive sites and how to safely tour these sites. The fleet of dive boats and their Captains were amazing.
I would strongly suggest this resort to chill, dive, and take advantage of the very patient and educated instructors for a couple extra dive certs.

Reviewed 1 August 2013

Just back and I wanted to rate this somewhat unique experience while still remembering our time there. I read a very extensive review and would say that they have it down great. We did a dolphin encounter in the keys years ago and this was definitely better. But the snorkel experience afterwards was not to be missed here. Go if you can.

Reviewed 29 July 2013

The most amazing experience in my life. The beauty, intelligence, and playfulness of the dolphins took my breath away. The trainers are super friendly and knowledgeable. If you do only one excursion on the island, this should be it. If you are there at a resort, DO NOT go on cruise ship days (Tuesday and Wednesday). Totally worth the $103 pp.

Reviewed 24 July 2013

What a wonderful experience we had at Anthonys. I had done a previous dolphin encounter in Puerta Vallerta Mexico and it was also really cool, but this was different. The Dolphins are in a sea-water enclosure netted off from the ocean. You walk right in up to your chest and then the fun begins! You get to spend a great deal of time even in the beginner encounter learning about these beautiful animals and getting to spend a lot of time actually interacting and playing with them. The trainers are excellent and are extremely sensitive to the dolphins' environment and needs. This is a spectatular family activity!

Travellers who viewed Roatan Institute for Marine Sciences - Anthony's Key Resort also viewed

Been to Roatan Institute for Marine Sciences - Anthony's Key Resort? Share your experiences!