“YUMMM! Great food!”

Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Sandy Bay
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“YUMMM! Great food!”
Reviewed 31 August 2012

We rented a house down the beach and ate at the Blue Bahia restaurant probably five times during our weeklong stay. The food was terrific, and we loved the indoor/outdoor feel of the restaurant. Nothing like listening to the sea while enjoying fresh seafood and cold beers.

The tropical fish plate was delicious. I ordered this twice - the fish is just so fresh and prepared perfectly. I was also a huge fan of the garlic shrimp. Everything we had was tasty, fresh and well prepared. One night we were there the resort put on a fire show on the beach which was fun to watch. They also have a huge BBQ pit and we shared the mixed platter one night - yum. So smoky and delicious. Not really what you'd expect on a tropical island, but good nonetheless.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Malabar, Florida
Reviewed 21 August 2012

I travel to Roatan every 2 months. Would never stay anywhere but the Blue Bahia. As I single woman, I have always felt totally safe and relaxed. Kent and his wonderful staff tend to all my needs. Can't wait to get back again. Snorkelling is great and the food is beyond expectations. Some of the best on the island. My family has been twice and can't stop telling their friends about it. Way to go Kent!!!

Room Tip: love the Seaside, so cozy
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank lyndab1031
Portland, Oregon, United States
Reviewed 23 July 2012

I was here in May/June 2012 and stayed at Blue Bahia. Kent was incredibly helpful and went out of his way to make us comfortable. We even had to change dates due to unforeseen circumstances and Kent accommodated us without a problem. The rooms were very nice with A/C, tv/dvd, nice kitchen with all necessary utensils, pots etc. The beds were very comfortable. Nice, small pool to sit by and the reef is accessible swimming from the dock. Plus Octopus Dive Shop is at the Blue Bahia and we dove with them a couple of times. We had awesome dives and great divemasters (Matt and Eva) each time. Nuria was very helpful to coordinate all the dives. Finally, the restaurant had outstanding food every time we ate there (try the Elvis dessert- yum!).

Kent and his staff were incredible and we thank them all for a wonderful time at Blue Bahia! Hopefully I will have a chance to return with my parents- thanks Kent!

Erin

Room Tip: We stayed in the two bedroom room in front of the pool on the bottom floor (to the left of pool if y...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Erin1413
King City, Canada
Reviewed 19 July 2012

Excellent food. We had dinner last night and were VERY impressed with the quality of food. 4 meals, all excellent and very tasty! I had beef, my wife had pulled pork, the kids had beef brisket. We were served within 20 minutes of arriving. My only complaint was that I ordered rice and it came with corn (which I am unable to digest) and had to spend several minutes picking it out. I did point out to the waiter that if there are other items in food it should be told to people because of allergies etc.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank ibuycdn
East Coast
Reviewed 8 July 2012 via mobile

We didn't stay in the lodge but we ate at the Blue Bahia restaurant on the beach. Loved the ambience on the beach and enjoyed a rain shower over the water. We had great dinners: coconut shrimp, red snapper, and other great seafood dishes.
Five excellent dinners, many beers, terrific setting and great service all for $100, and they take credit cards! I highly recommend this restaurant in Sandy Bay.

Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Colorado
Reviewed 2 July 2012

There is a reason Blue Bahia gets good reviews. We had looked at 3 other VRBO rentals on Sandy Bay, as we prefer staying in a home to have the privacy. What we quickly found via trip advisor and other sources, was that this island was not one that you would or should do that on for your first trip. After questioning some of the things happening at the private properties (robbery mainly), I wrote an email to Kent at Blue Bahia, asking him to verify what was happening there. He was very honest and up front about the island, and what it is and what it isn't. I have traveled enough to know that the picture you see or the website you read about a place is not what you will get. You have to use your better judgement, and if they show you a picture of a clean room/bathroom, etc, you MAY or MAY NOT get that anywhere. So, what we were looking for mostly was the smallest place we could stay to assure some privacy, coupled with the safest feeling we could get. After spending 9 days on the island, I am positive we got what we were looking for, and more.

It always saddens me that people travel to an island, stay in a fancy resort, swim in the pool and nicely manicured beach, maybe take and "island tour", and go home. Then they rave about how wonderful it was. Our family gets off the plane, rents a car, wanders through the local grocery store and gas station, might get lost a few times, or maybe even in a close call with another car/person/animal, but eventually arrive at our destination happy and safe! Then we take trips almost everyday to see what we can, learn what we can, and experience what we can. Blue Bahia was the perfect spot to do this from. It is removed from the tourist trap of West End and West Bay, and removed from the really questionable areas such as Coxen Hole and French Harbour. There are many locals around the beach, and the kids jumping off the upper level of the dock were them most entertaining! Yes, there were areas we felt insecure and unsafe, but we survived and learned more about the island every outing.

Just a side note, Blue Bahia is located down a very skinny driveway off the main road. This driveway borders another restaurant and some local homes, and is a blind hill and short distance! Please be careful of small children and animals, as well as other cars! Parking is a small, skinny area, that requires a three point turn to get out of, so don't block anyone in! In essence, you can't see this place from the road...

Blue Bahia has a great restaurant, and the staff even tops that. The free breakfast every morning was welcome, the coffee was good, and if we had received a little more of a breeze from mother nature we may have sat there half the day! Breakfast each morning was usually eggs/chorizo/toast/OJ and sometimes fruit. We also had really good pancakes on day! I did get tired of chorizo, but only because I am a bacon and sausage type of girl. It generally filled us up completely and sent us off for our day. We never did eat an evening meal there, since I usually cook in our condo to save a little money. I did see several meals and it always looked and smelled excellent. The key lime pie was wonderful, as we did sneak in for dessert and coffee. We had one lunch meal there, which was a sea bass sandwich and it was excellent. There was entertainment several nights, but I think it was just people who were staying there. I would just preferred to have listened to music being played on a stereo than to feel like I need to interact with someone who is singing that I don't know or favor their music. Just my opinion....

Power outages were minimal during our stay, bring a small flashlight if you are worried about it. Wifi was always available.

We did not use the pool, as we don't travel a zillion miles to sit in a pool with the ocean steps away. We used the onsite dive store and my husband went diving twice, and my son did the Discover Diving quick course and got to dive for the first time! The dive school was also nice enough to have a quick get together with anyone who wanted to just get in the water, where you could stand up, and try on gear and breath underwater and swim a little ways with the gear. I basically failed that course and was fine just snorkeling my vacation away! Dive sites are so close you can kayak out to them and snorkel them!

The dock was our place of respite. In the morning and evening, we would usually venture out onto the two story dock, sit and read or watch the sunset with a drink. The breeze was cool and welcoming in the evening and you couldn't beat the sunsets. During the day it was too hot to stay there for long.

The beach is a road, and is really too full of sand flies/fleas to lay on anyway. If you want to lay in a chair on a beach, go stay in West Bay at the resorts. We enjoyed watching the local folks use it with scooters,cars,motorcycles and even propane trucks. Heck, that's where the guy who was selling shrimp/conch/snapper and lobsters stopped, giving us the opportunity to buy some! We even used the beach as a road a couple of times, once for an adventure to see where it went and the second time to avoid the police roadblock because my husband left his wallet with his license back in the room (see, this is why you "discover" and island,,,it comes in handy).

Our room was comfortable (King and Queen room), and had everything we needed. There were air conditioners in every room, ours ended up with a terrible squeak, but we just shut it off and didn't really need it because the main one cooled the entire unit. There are televisions in every room, but who needs those on vacation? We had a large stove/oven unit, large refrigerator/freezer, and dishes, pots, pans, etc plenty. Maid service was exceptional, with linens being changed every other day.

In total, Blue Bahia was perfect for us. Not that it would be perfect for everyone, and I can't stress that enough. You have to decide what your expectaions are, what you want to do, and how you are going to go about it. If you want ALL the comforts of home, go on vacation in the US or stay at a resort. Roatan is not home, but it was our home away from home for 9 days and we grew to like it more everyday! (PS, thank you Kent, Philip, Randy (I still want to hear you sing), Maria, and everyone whose names I can't remember or pronounce!)

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank thefosterfarm
SW Mississippi
Reviewed 8 June 2012

Thank you Kent! Have been looking for a new home on Roatan for 3 years now and finally found it. Blue Bahia Resort has it all. My wife and I stayed in "The Wave" for the last week of May and could not have been happier. From initial contact to our goodbyes. Kent was helpful but totally unobtrusive. Just a knock on the door away. The A/C in our living room went out one afternoon and it was not a quick fix so Kent offered to move us for the night. The room, actually a one bedroom condo, was perfect. Quiet yet close. Full kitchen with stove, refrigerator, microwave and coffee pot. We stopped at the grocery store on our way there (arrange this in advance) and picked up stuff for snacks and lunches. This is a small resort where you get to know your neighbors but they are not in your pocket. The pool needed constant attention because of the surrounding vegetation but then with the ocean steps away who cares. All the staff was super friendly and service from the cooks in the kitchen to the maid was right on target. I loved my visit here and will be back year after year. Thanks again Kent.

Room Tip: Depending on what you need. We loved "The Wave". Extra space is well worth the extra mon...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
#1 of 14 in West Bay
Barefoot Cay
Barefoot Cay
#1 of 5 in French Harbour

Been to Blue Bahia Resort? Share your experiences!