“Week on Roatan” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Sandy Bay
Sandpoint, Idaho
“Week on Roatan”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

My family and I had a great stay at the Blue Bahia. The first half of our trip, we had struggles with the house we had found on VRBO, but once I walked down and talked with Kent, I knew the rest of vacation would work itself out.
The resort is clean and well cared for. My kids had the best time playing in the pool and talking with the birds. The sunsets from their pier was wonderful.
Thanks for saving the second half of the trip Kent. I would recommend this place for sure.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Kim J

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Enid, Oklahoma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

Been coming to Blue Bahia twice a year since 2008. As in landers from Oklahoma, we come for the ocean views & friendly staff & local folks. Blue Bahia is behind the reef, & therefore away from the cruise ship folks & the tourists. Resort has sold . Hope new owners keep the family atmosphere & friendly staff. We come for the ocean views & to see folks we've met here on previous trips. We all stay in touch over the years. HOPE new owners will maintain the atmosphere of non tourist, just relaxed & family oriented. BUT, We will really miss Kent. He has become a friend & family over the years. He has told us that new owners are GREAT, & will continue the family oriented atmosphere. To that end, we have already booked a return in September with two other couples. Our hope is that new owners will keep the resort as it is now.

Room Tip: Get a room on the second story, as bldgs & trees limit ocean views from the lower units. Underst...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank ednenid
Mooresville, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2014

Our family, six adults and a small child, stayed in the Loft. My rating reflects my opinion of a resort in this part of the world but my review is geared toward the "First World" travelers who may have other expectations.

The short drive in has several steep inclines and it ends in a very tight parking lot. Park on the sides and leave room for maneuvering three point turns. It had been raining so there were puddles which they were filling during our stay with rock.

The facilities are wood, including the walks. Maintenance continues in this area with steps being replaced and such. One thing that impacted our stay was that the septic system needed some work and our unit, the Loft, was next to that work. The smell was not overpowering but kept us off of our deck. (The table fixed to the wall would have helped our seating situation with 6 adults and a small child.) The fact is, they do take good care of the facility.

The Loft has a small sitting area with a small TV with DVD player, a breakfast bar with 4 stools, and a reasonably furnished kitchen. Bottled water is a necessity and they provided a 5 gallon bottle with a pump top.

On this main level (actually the second floor of the building), there is also the master bedroom and a bath.

Access to the loft is via very steep stairs with narrow treads. We found treating this like a ships ladder was advisable, descending backwards. At the top is a bedroom which is separated from another bedroom by a thin curtain. The bath is through that bedroom and has a shower curtain as the door.

A small pool is located at the foot of our building. As one continues toward a beautiful beach, you pass the dive shop and restaurant. I know the restaurant is owned by someone else and presume the same for the dive shop. (This symbiotic system seems to be common in Honduras.) At the end of the wooden walkway is a shower for when you return from the beach.

Sandy Bay is convenient to West End (I thought it was like Gatlinburg on the Carribean) and West Bay (where we took the glass bottom boat ride and attempted snorkeling) and Gumbalimba Park.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
kentburnes, Owner at Blue Bahia Resort, responded to this review, 22 February 2014
Thank you so much for staying with us! We enjoyed having you and your family at our resort. As you can imagine keeping a resort well maintained is a never ending job; one that we take very seriously. I am sorry that we did have to do some maintenance on our waste water treatment plant while you were here. All of our maintenance was completed as quickly as possible and everything working as designed. Thank you for noticing that we do keep the resort in a well maintained state. We have designed the resort to be compatible with the historic flavor of the island, not a concrete block building. Our materials and design keeps with the history of the island, but does require us to always be on top of maintenance to keep it looking as nice as it does. Thank you for noticing and Thanks for your comments, and we hope to see you again soon. Kent Burnes
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2014 via mobile

Blue Bahia the best resort to spend a good vacation with the warmth of your home. Kent the best of hosts, always aware of your needs, every time in a good mood and sharing with the guests. Actually a dream place to scape everyday life. Thanks kent see you soon. I recommend it 100%.

• Stayed January 2014
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2014

Comfortable resort with good beach location. We didn’t encounter any issues with sea flies – that maybe seasonal. The room we had was generously sized with a porch and sea view. Breakfast servings are generous and the delivery to the room works well. Flexible about breakfast requests.
The owner, Kent comes across as an old-hand on Roatan who knows the lay of the land in this part of the world. If not friendly, then cordial and service-minded in the American tradition.

Sandy beach is part of the island somewhat removed from the more concentrated town of West-end (10-15 min by taxi including walk/catching the cab on the road nearby). It is really a place you seek out for diving as the action is in West End and the best beaches in West Bay. Hence it is a cry and shame that the dive centre based on the resort, the Octopus Dive Centre is highly disorganized (see review elsewhere). Another dive centre nearby was recommended for this part, but they were fully booked when we visited. The name escapes me but I think they were Englishmen.

If you visit Sandy Bay, I highly recommend the action dolphin swim at nearby Anthonys Key Resort which involves fantastic interaction with dolphins.

Other than the lack of a decent dive centre, my main gripe is related to airport transfers. The taxi drivers at the airport run quite the taxi racket. They have united to charge USD 25 for a 15-minute ride – more than you would pay for the equivalent ride in New York City. Obviously this does not correspond to the price level of Honduras. By working past the first few drivers who approached me, the price very quickly fell to USD 20. But given the small size of the airport (only about 5 drives on hand), I didn’t have it in me to push it further and risk being left stranded in a new country. I had already emailed Kent from Blue Bahia about an airport transfer who had quoted me the same price. By and large; I found that disappointing for him to play along with that racket. When I planned to go to Honduras the lack of infrastructure and the safety concerns somewhat had to be mitigated by attractive prices. Here the question is whether this stacks up.

On seasonality, my research and conversations on the island told me that the raining period is October to beginning of January. If you travel in this period, you will most certainly have a number of days written off – how many depends on whether you are in the middle of the period our on the shoulder.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ExphilipX
kentburnes, Owner at Blue Bahia Resort, responded to this review, 9 February 2014
Phillip, I am sorry you have some of the feelings that you do about our resort. We strive to work with every guest to ensure that they have a plesant experience in our boutique type setting. I did email you several times regarding airport transportation and yes I did tell you that it is $20 from the airport to our hotel by taxi, no I am not part of a racket and resent the implication. $20 is the posted rates from the airport to sandy bay using a private taxi and posted throughout the municipality as well as in the airport. I also told you that you could take what is called a collectivo meaning you would share the taxi with other people or you could walk outside the airport lot and flag the local bus which would drastically reduce your cost to about $5 per person. Or that I would have a taxi waiting for you with a sign that would have our name on it for the rate the driver is paid, $20. Those are the rates on Roatan I do not set them.
I was only involved in your conversations with Octopus on a limited basis but I know that you were told from the beginning to do an advanced and rescue course in a four night stay was a rushed schedule. Your partner did tell me she was given dive times so that she could complete her advanced on schedule. The next morning your partner did come to the dive center at 830am and tell them that she did not feel well from the night before and wanted to re-arrange the schedule. I know that the dive shop worked with you on your schedule for some time before your arrival, and it is fine that someone not dive when they do not feel up to par and should not dive when not feeling well, but the dive times were known. But you then came and told me that Octopus was so disorganized and no schedules were given and you just did not know what to do, I am sorry but schedules were known, I think the problem was that once dives are missed it makes it hard to reschedule a course on a short stay. We could not accomodate her at 11am but could at 2pm. As you know this is a busy period, all other divers were quite happy. Again I am sorry for your feelings about our taxi system but I do not make those rules, but we did tell you many ways to move around roatan very cheaply.
Octopus dive shop has an excellent reputation and I know worked with you and listened to your concerns as you met with the owner right outside my door. Your partner told me she was fine and her instructor and her worked out a new schedule, and you said that it had been worked out. But again, I offer our sincere apology for not meeting your expectations. Kent Burnes- Owner Blue Bahia Resort
Bremerton, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2014

This was our first trip to Roatan. We love to snorkel but do NOT scuba and wondered if we were too old for this adventure (50's)...WE WERE NOT!! We had a blast! Kent was very helpful, from airport pick up to kayak trips to Island tours, He knows the Island inside out. We could snorkel right off the pier or take the dive boat out. Some days we did both!!!! Breakfast comes to your room each morning to start the day off right. The on site restaurant was good, a few steps down the beach is the Tranquil Seas which I highly recommend on Tapas and tune night!!! A short Taxi ride or Tiki Bus ride away is West End where you can find just about anything!!! Dont expect luxury in Honduras but go for the adventure and whatever you do get out to the reef even if you just snorkel, you won't regret it! The bugs do nibble in Roatan so pack your bug spray, Benadryl cream, steroid cream, antihistamine tabs and light long pants and shirts.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Elaine P
Guatemala City, Guatemala
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2014

I have nothing to say but great things about Blue Bahia & their crew... they are very kind and welcome you with an honest smile. We stayed for a week and every single day we had a blast; the condos are nice, a very kind lady helps you with the cleaning every morning and delivers your breakfast!

Kent was extremely helpul with me & my girlfriend, he recommended us a taxi driver (Phillip) who took care of us and drove us everywhere... no matter what time was! Kent even gave us a local mobile to make our calls when needed.

Also, you can do snorkeling or scuba; they have a school and the crew is very helpful and kind. The reef is right in front of Blue bahia, you swim probably for about 15mins and you get to see amazing things... just beautiful, honestly!

Definitely we´re coming back this year again! Don´t miss it, you won´t regret!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
#4 of 7 in West End
Cocolobo
Cocolobo
#2 of 7 in West End

Been to Blue Bahia Resort? Share your experiences!