“Island Paradise”

Tranquilseas Eco Lodge and Dive Center
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Sandy Bay
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 5 January 2012

I have been to Tranquil Seas twice in the last year and will continue to return to Roatan and stay at Tranquil Seas. A fantastic deal, naturally beautiful, hospitable hosts, well located (close to hustle of west end, but not too close) and delicous food. I would recommend this spot to anyone travelling anywhere near central America - a real treasure.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Gal A

Reviewed 4 January 2012

The title says it all. Chris Benson and his partner Monica have definitely created a paradise in paradise. My wife and I had an incredible time due to the warm, inviting, and delicately beautiful atmosphere that they have created. From the moment you walk in the place it's as if they hand you the keys and say it's yours.

Because Chris has a horticulture background, the grounds are immaculately pristine. And because it's an eco-lodge, the natural beauty and local species of plants and animal life abound (save for Feo their well-behaved dog/vacuum cleaner whom we loved). Chris even is taking the time to repopulate the mangrove forest that once dominated the entire island. This is evidenced by the Tranqulseas dock adorned with a mangrove tree (unique to anything on the island).

Chris is a true lover and believer in nature and being kind to the earth. He goes out of his way to protect the local reef and island. He takes the time to explain the reef, ecosystem, and history of nearly everything you see. It's a definite bonus you don't get elsewhere. He's a founder and proud member/supporter of the Roatan Marine Park/Reserve and even calls in poachers/evildoers when he sees them on boat trips. His passion shows that his eco-lodge is not fake (care of Costa Rican "eco-lodge" reputation).

But don't get me wrong here. This is a first class resort feel. It's not crunchy granola hippy stuff at all. Chris is British by root so he knows that 1st world vacationers are there for luxury and fun. And he spares no expense at this. In fact, because he's not a mega-resort like Anthony's Key, he puts personal love and attention to each one of his guests. Also, he's familiar with the 1st world notion of being on time, doing things right, and making it very easy for the vacationer.

The dive shop is amazing and very well maintained. They place a high importance on safety and make sure you (and they) are going to be comfortable the whole time in and out of the water. Plus, because they don't take out 20 people per boat, you always feel as though you're diving in an intimate setting. In fact, I think our largest dive was with 5-6 divers (including my wife and I) and most of our dives were with 2-4 people max! Believe me, when you get to the island and see other mega dive/resort operations you will be glad you followed my advice to dive with TS. All of us staying there said the same thing.

Kent the dive master is just such a wonderful human being, diver, teacher, learner, and comedian. He's a local and knows the reef like it was his back yard (because it is). We loved him so much that we had my wife certified as a Padi Advanced diver even though we had no plans on doing so that trip. You can't go wrong by diving with Kent!

The location is perfect as it's only a SHORT ride to West End for food/fun. However, West End is kind of a let-down because it's just like Panama City Beach, FL or spring break. TS is far enough removed from West End to stay out of that stuff, but close enough to get dirty when you want to. For this reason it's a perfect place to bring kids. In fact, you can forget the kids all day and not worry at all. It's that safe.

The food just blew my mind. Monica cooks breakfast daily which is a hearty meal (6 choices). Breakfast is included and boy do they mean it. It shows in everything that Chris and Monica do that "short changing", cutting corners, skimping, etc. are not in their vocabulary; quite the opposite, their generosity is overwhelming. Monica cooked us a Christmas dinner and it was by far the best Xmas I have ever had. Great food, friends, and fun in a long table all telling jokes and being merry. It was like your family Christmas without the drama. She also cooked Paella for New Year's that was insane! On my birthday she procured a carrot cake for me and the whole lodge stayed up to celebrate.

Because TS attracts such a cool, mellow, warm, friendly, and unique crowd/person, you always seem to gather with people in the common areas for stories, drinks, and laughs. Yet if you want your privacy there is plenty of that to go around also.

On Tuesdays and Thursdays be sure to stay around for Tapas night as it's a real blast. Live music, great food and drinks, and fun people turn Tranquilseas from a peaceful paradise into the most fun place to be on the island. Don't worry, it doesn't get overwhelming.

If you're looking for something like a Sandles, Club Med, etc. type of place then stay away from TS. I hesitate in saying this as it might keep some people away, but TS takes the best things from a resort (quality, cleanliness, convenience, etc.) and the best things from a hostel (feeling at home, like-minded people, openness, FUN!) and provides the best mix of both. Again, I hesitate in saying that because some of you will not like the hostel thing and some the resort thing. Believe me when I say this is the best of both worlds as I have stayed in both extremes.

All in all, we loved Roatan. However, our trip was made 100 times more special because of the fact we found this gem. We have Chris, Monica, Kent, and the rest of the staff to thank. We will be back!

PS- If you really want to see what the place is like check out this video. It's basically what the place looks/feels like daily and definitely sold us on staying there when we were searching: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srVH2k2_x3g

Also read this review as it nails the place/diving spot on: http://www.tranquilseas.com/roatan-diving/sportdiver-review.pdf

Room Tip: I think all rooms are very good. The website is very transparent about every room.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank jcpratt
Reviewed 4 January 2012

This is a thoughtful conscientious place. No, not luxurious, so if you want luxury, like televisions, plush rooms, go somewhere else. If you are looking for a quiet, clean, comfortable, place with a fantastic reef you can swim to, and where there's environmental consciousness, this is a great one.
Diving was great! But snorkelers will be most pleased. There's a resident octopus right in front of the property, and a barrier reef an easy swim away.

The owners went out of there way to serve our vegetarian needs. The food for us as vegetarians was terrific.

Room Tip: We took a high level room. Nice view and perhaps a bit quieter
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Robert R
Reviewed 4 January 2012

We had a ball staying at Tranquilseas for a week over Christmas this year. Chris and Monica were super accommodating and made everything easy. We loved diving, kayaking and snorkeling on Sandy Bay, and spent most nights dining on Monica's delicious food in the open air palapa, playing the various board games provided, listening to music and drinking. The Tuesday & Thursday night tapas are a can't miss (machego and wings!) and the Christmas feast was one of the more memorable holiday dinners we've had. The honor bar set up was very convenient. Would go back in a heartbeat. Thank you guys for a memorable vacation!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PrissyOrit
Reviewed 1 January 2012

I dive and I travel, and not necessarily in that order. Tranquil seas combines both things perfectly: it is in a beautiful setting, on the beach, small and cosy in size - with only a few bungalows and a fantastic restaurant with home made food and a great, very professional dive team.
Owners and hosts - Chris and Monica - couldn't be more welcoming, plus -Monica is a superb cook, being from Spain (Tapas night is a must, and her fried calamari are simply to die for),

The bar is well stocked with all the best rums from the entire Central and South America (and many other things), which, surely, some would appreciate.

Diving feels less like an army activity (as in some dive centers) and more like a leisure, which is a big plus, and the team is really top notch. This is coming not from an OW diver, but from a fellow professional.

The room was slightly on the darkish side due to vegetation, so you might want to settle for the ones with unobstructed sea views, if you need the sun in all day long. But everything else is great.

Can't wait to come back.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank olgaR-K
Reviewed 22 November 2011

I just had one of the best trips of my life with my son in Roatan. I'm the kind of traveler that likes to get the full experience and enjoyed staying at different parts of the island.

Tranquilseas is located in Sandy Bay which has a ton of great underwater activities and I chose this particular hotel because I love staying at Eco Lodges. It's unique and it gives my son, 7 years old, a good educational foundation on how to appreciate the areas we are staying at more.

Chris, the owner and host, is so fun! This is his love, passion and living on the island surrounded by the marine park is where he is in his total element.

He built this adorable lodge with his father, and they work so hard at keeping it intimate and personal.

Every evening there is a different dinner option, which Monica - a talented chef, whips up for you. You can use the restaurant area as though you are home. Take anything you want, drink anything. It's all on the honor system and makes you feel relaxed that no one has to wait on you all the time and you have freedom to do whatever you want.

We had a blast staying here, chilling in the cool bar area overlooking the sea and chatting it up with Chris and his dad!

So recommend staying here - and Chris will hook you up for all your diving and snorkeling needs!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 November 2011

Although we did not stay here, my son and I were very impressed with the dive shop. We were both certified through the shop and had some great dives. The instructors (Kent for my son and Katie for my self) were very good at building confidence, keeping us safe, looking after all the logistics, and making the dives interesting. We really appreciated all the people there who helped make our experience memorable. We will be recommending our friends to go and will be returning for more dives and training.

• Stayed: November 2011
The Beach House
#4 of 9 in West End
Infinity Bay Spa and Beach Resort
Seagrape Plantation Resort

Been to Tranquilseas Eco Lodge and Dive Center? Share your experiences!