“Best Place to stay on Roatan? I Believe So.”

Tranquilseas Eco Lodge and Dive Center
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Sandy Bay
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Palo Alto, CA
“Best Place to stay on Roatan? I Believe So.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

I chose to stay at Tranquilseas because it was a three minute beach walk from Anthony's Key Resort (recommended by friends as a super location but full) and because of it's well documented commitment to the health of the local coral reef and marine life.

I'm so glad we ended up here! With a total occupancy of 20 or so guests, it is simply a different experience that larger resorts simply do not provide. I witnessed the proprietors Chris and Monica tailor experiences for those traveling with children (I was on a Dad-Daugther adventure), to couples young and older, to those traveling alone and with family and friends. They go out of their way to make your stay wonderful and personal.

The cabana style lodging is beautiful, new and unique.

The staff - dive master, bartender, waitress, etc. - remember your name by the second day, are personable, and very knowledgeable about the island, Honduras and local activities. They are also fun and interested in making your stay memorable.

The attention to detail is abundant - fresh cut flowers, cook to order paella, Spanish guitarist and tapas night, Lion fish speared by you turned into ceviche appetizers, etc. Small things that make the stay special.

Of course knowing in a small way that your helping reef conservation, and people like Chris who are committed to the long term economic and cultural success of the island and it's people is also very gratifying.

Awesome stay!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank lgpynk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2012

I chose Tranquilseas for my accommodations while visiting Roatan. Through internet fact finding I discovered that Tranquilseas was committed to protecting the environment and marine life as well as providing a positive experience for all guests. When I arrived I found this to be true and so much more!
Chris picked me up at the airport and Monica gave me the grounds orientation. I knew immediately that I had made the correct decision in booking accommodations with Tranquilseas. The purpose of this trip was tranquility, peace, and relaxation. With only 5 cabanas - the Tranquilseas grounds are HUGE!! There is always a quiet place to be found with amazing views of the ocean. I stayed in the Eagle Ray Cabana - it was simply amazing. There was a fan and an Air Conditioner. Had a kitchen area, complete with coffee maker and toaster! There was a lockable safe in the room as well. There was also a wardrobe - which was nice staying for over a week - its nice to be able to unpack the suitcase! The bathroom was simply amazing - huge and hand tiled shower. The decor was completely reflective of the Eagle Ray theme. he private deck and the views were a treat!
I was diving on this trip, but Ive heard that the diving is first rate at Tranquilseas, and I saw the personalized attention that Kent, Chris, & Di gave everyone! Everyone else staying at the same time as me were all diving. Chris and Monica were amazing at helping me plan my time on the island to ensure I completed everything I wanted to. We talked about my interests and I gave them a list of things I wanted to do, they immediately both started making phone calls, arranging the activities and transportation for me. There was one person Monica couldnt get in touch with for several days, so she went out of her way to find another private island tour guide for me. You do not receive this kind of service in the large resorts. This was one of the main reasons I chose Tranquilseas. Chris or Monica were always available to help out, offer advise, or just to talk to.
The food at Tranquilseas was amazing! Monica and Isabelle are wonderful cooks! I have strict dietary restrictions due to a GastroIntestinal Disease, and Monica was more than willing to sit down with me and dicuss options. she made sure that everything was taken care of for me! Tapas Tuesday and Tapas Thursday are amazing! The bar staff are wonderful, the food is amazing, and the music reminds me of home!
The Sunken Fish restaurant and bar overlooks the ocean from the 2nd floor of the resort. It is absolutely breathtaking to sit and eat your breakfast while watching the crystal blue waters!
Tranquilseas is located in Sandy Bay - which is very central for activities in Roatan. It is a quick cab ride to the West End, West Bay, & Coxen Hole. It is just off the main road, so it is quiet, and it is located on its own beach! There is an amazing dock that has a covered 'hut' at the end, so you can sit out on the dock in a hammoch and be out of the sun.
The views all around Tranquilseas are amazing! From the hand tiled showers in the cabanas, to the hand made furnature, hand carved decor, hand made everything. You can tell that there is a lot of sweat equity in Tranquilseas and that is what makes it feel like home. Chris and Monica definately care about thier eco-lodge and the happiness of their guests.
I would HIGHLY recommend Tranquilseas if you are diving, looking for a quiet escape, a romantic get away, or somewhere unique and 'off the beaten path'

Room Tip: I stayed in the Eagle Ray Cabana. It did have an ocean view through the large trees, had a private d...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank jmcfall
Lexington, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2012

My boyfriend and I visited Tanquil Seas over the New year holiday and had a wonderful time. We stayed in the Tortuga cabana, which did not have a view of the water, but was clean and comfortable. The front poor with rocking chair was a nice touch. The walk-in, tiled shower in the bathroom was also nice, although the water did not stay warm for very long. The room was airconditioned, and wi-fi was available, although spotty. we were warmly greeted upon arrival and introduced to the honor bar system and the restaurant/lounge area, which is where everyone hangs out. The food - an interesting tapas menu featuring several healthy options, was tasty, and breakfast is free. we ended up eating several meals on the beautiful deck overlooking the clear blue waters lapping just steps away from the hotel. The hotel is situated directly on the beach, and has amazing views from pretty much any place on the property. It is nearby Anthony's key, and one can walk down the beach to check out the famous Anthony's key dolphins. It is about a ten minute, 5$ cab ride from West End, and we ate dinner "in-town" there a few times. It costs 20 bucks to get to the hotel from either the airport or the ferry (our method of arrival) by taxi. Tranquil Seas has a beautiful dock that reaches into the water and the hotel makes hammocks available to hang under the cabana at the dock's end. This was the way we spent the first few hours of our afternoon on the island, and it was perfect. Also a great place to watch the sunset. I just can't say enough about how helpful Chris and Monica were. One or the other of them was always on hand to give advice or answer any number of questions, and when our departure from the island was delayed by bad weather, Chris made several calls and took us to the airport for free so that we could catch a last-minute flight. You just can't find service like that at most resorts. This resort has a wonderful, laid-back, swiss family robinson feel to it that I've never experienced anywhere else. You can tell that Chris really cares about the operation, and the buildings and grounds and pool and deck and resturant areas all reflect this. The resort never felt crowded, and the people who celebrated the new year with us were so much fun! And the diving - the dive operation is first class. My boyfriend obtained his certification and recieved a good deal of personalized attention. By and large, our dive groups were small - in fact on the first day of diving, my boyfriend and I were the only couple on the boat! In closing, I think I should mention that one of th ebest things about Tranquil Seas is the owners commitment to protecting the beauty and natural resources of Roatan. A "green" philosophy and focus on good stewardship of the marine environment is evident in every aspect of this operation.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Washington, DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2012

My family and I had the single greatest vacation of our lives this past Christmas. 10 days of Diving, Snorkeling, exploring the island, and relaxing. Chris and Monica are the perfect hosts, and Tranquilseas has become a home away from home.

If you need to be pampered morning, noon, and night look elsewhere. If you seek a beautiful, relaxed setting and are willing to join a community of friendly vacationers looking to escape the hubbub of the "real" world look no further.

I cannot wait for our next escape to Tranquilseas!

Room Tip: All the cabanas are charming.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Tipp M
Stratham, New Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2012

We met Chris in January 2012 on a family dive trip to Roatan. We had a large group of people and were having trouble getting everyone accomodated for diving. Once our concierge introduced us to Chris we had no more worries. Chris came immediately to our rented house, sat down with us and we made a plan. The word "can't" was not in his vocabulary. He arranged to pick us up by boat from our dock. The next morning we were greeted by him and his professional and knowledgeable dive team. Their passion and commitment to the environment was clear as they educated us on the reef and the island and their desire to preserve it. Over the next several days Chris and his team took us on some of the best dives we have ever experienced. Kent and Di were amazing at pointing out every interesting plant and animal under the sea. One day, Chris recommended that he bring two boats, take divers on one, snorklers on the other then rondevoux for a family gathering complete with drinks and snacks. There was something for everyone and we were all together including 2 small children. Chris thought of everything. We enjoyed getting to know Chris so much that we had to go and visit his Eco Lodge. We made a special trip there to enjoy some great cocktails and wonderful music in the lounge. Chris personally drove us home that night so we didn't have to take a cab. I left something behind in the bar, Chris found it and promptly mailed it to me in the states. The attention to detail of Chris and his staff was such a treat. Our plan when we return to Roatan someday is to stay with Tranquilseas and get the full benefit of the over the top personal service they offer. Great job to you and your team, Chris. Thank you from our entire family.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank DVanP
Evergreen, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2012

This is a place you'd be reluctant to review because you don't want to share it with anyone else! However, your experience there compels you to write about how fantastic the place is. Chris and Monica (owners) are the best -they are attentive and informative hosts that make Tranquilseas one of the best experiences you'll ever have. Chris is a fastidious owner who is constantly making updates to his property to make it a place that leaves nothing to complain about. Worried about cleanliness, A/C working, hot water, etc.? -forget about it at this place. He has a small force of staff (all so pleasant) that keeps every nail, screw and bolt in place! Our room was immaculate. The food great (Monica's Paella was awesome) ...and don't forget the Lionfish ceviche!

Want to get some souvenirs off the reef or toss trash on the beach? -don't come here. Chris runs a truly ecology minded operation and is a man who sticks to his principals in preserving Roatan's natural beauty. He's put his heart and soul into this place and it shows!!

As for the diving -again more attention to detail with the latest, well-maintained equipment you’d want. Our dive master Kent was great!! We had a boat and Kent all to ourselves most days, taking us on the coolest dives -the most laid back AND safety conscious dive master you'll find!!

And the location -it's perfect! It’s secluded but has easy access to all attractions on the west side of the island. I found it interesting that the other side of the island (facing the mainland) gets significantly more wind than here, which has a major impact on diving. So scenic and peaceful!
Hated to leave, can't wait to come back!!
Thanks Chris and Monica!!

Room Tip: The Hummingbird and Tree Frog cabanas have the best views. An extra bed can be provided in your roo...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank portagem
Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2012

I read the reviews on Tranquilseas and selected this resort based on the glowing customer comments. As a result, I had rather high expectations.

After 16 dives and 8 nights at this fine resort, I can confidently state that my expectations were far exceeded by Chris and the rest of the Tranquilseas staff. Wow!

I have travelled far and wide on multiple continents and have been diving for 25 years, and I will say for the record that this is a very intimate experience that you are unlikely to find anywhere else. So, for folks that do not prefer the "cattle herd" mentality of certain resorts and dive operations, this is it! For those in search of a truly green, eco experience, this is your place! I plan to return.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
#2 of 7 in West End
The Beach House
The Beach House
#4 of 7 in West End

Been to Tranquilseas Eco Lodge and Dive Center? Share your experiences!