“Amazing ”

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Sandy Bay
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
“Amazing ”
Reviewed 4 February 2014 via mobile

There literally is not enough good things to say about Tranquilseas and their staff. Every room is incredible, I had a peek in every room while I was there but stayed in the eagle ray it was amazing. The diving was awesome and such a good time with these guys everybody is a lot of fun and a joy to be around, the dive master Henry took time to pick up what little trash we saw on the reef which shows how much these guys care about this beautiful island. I would recommend this place to anybody you simply cannot go wrong staying here.

Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Nathan E

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
Reviewed 3 February 2014

I have both lived and travelled to Roatan since 2001 and Tranquilseas Eco Lodge is doing something unique to the island. It is truly an amazing experience the minute your set foot on the property. Chris and Monica have worked tirelessly to build not only an incredible physical setting but one that is friendly and so well run.

My friends and I did a dive with Tranquilseas during a recent trip to the island. Not only were we all experienced divers but most of us had either lived on the island or had travelled to it numerous times and this was definitely taken into consideration! The best part of the diving here is that from the top down everyone loves the water, the adventure and what they do. Unlike the other dive shops or resorts on Roatan, Tranquilseas believes that every dive should be an adventure. We were taken well away from other boats and the hecticness of the West End dive sites. It was truly incredible!

The boat was comfortable to dive off of, the gear is new and well maintained. Everything is kept to a high standard of service and all of this transfers throughout the entire resort.
We did stay for lunch at their bar/restaurant and the food was impeccable, the views were to die for and it was extremely comfortable to hang out while we let our dive gear dry.

If you are thinking of going to Roatan, stay here. It's beautiful, it close to the West End, it has everything you could possibly want!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank TravelForever1999
Reviewed 3 February 2014

This is a fantastic place to stay and I highly recommend it to anyone. Our room had a fantastic view of the ocean and was spacious and comfortable. The food at the restaurant was exceptional, as were the cocktails from the bar. Sandy Bay is a beautiful area to stay in - quiet and relaxing, but also just a short (and cheap) taxi ride away from the restaurants and nightlife in West End.

1 Thank OzLisi
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 29 January 2014

My first impression of Tranquilseas was on a late afternoon visit with some friends to check out the beautiful grounds, grab some drinks and watch the sunset from their spectacular views. From the minute I walked in I was completely won over. Everywhere you look is a feast for the eyes...amazing views, beautiful tropical landscape, and loads of subtle details that make you feel like you have been enveloped in your own special paradise. As I walked around the place, it had such a great vibe that I knew I had to experience more of it. So we decided to book in for a day diving later in the week.

It is worth mentioning that I lived and worked as a diving instructor in Roatan for 3 years from 2001-2004...so I am very well acquainted with the island. This was my first trip back to the island in 10 years and I had been staying in the West End and diving with the dive shops around town. What really made Tranquilseas stand out for me was the way they approach your diving experience from beginning to end as more of a safari/adventure than a day. Their passion for diving, and for Roatan, totally shines through and is very infectious. Being they are located in Sandy Bay and have really good boats, they choose to get away from the crowds and dive a lot of sites more towards the northeast part of the island. I had done well over 1500 dives on that island and they took me to a new area, and and extremely beautiful site, which I had never experienced before...and enjoyed immensely. Beyond that the staff was very friendly and offered excellent service, the boat was extremely comfortable and was a pleasure to dive off of, the facilities are well appointed (even a dedicated camera rinse area!)...and the overall atmosphere is both fun and relaxing. The operation is extremely eco-conscious, which is wonderful, and they work closely with the Marine Park. I can't say enough about their great vibe and professionalism.

After diving we decided to have lunch at their restaurant and chill out at the resort while our gear dried off. Lunch was amazing, the views were spectacular and I was so relaxed that I didn't want to leave! We had a look at the rooms and needless to say they did not disappoint. I loved it all so much I am hoping to bring a dive/photo group for a week later in the year. I would recommend the resort to everyone whether it is for a day or a week or longer....and the longer the better!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank frankied72
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 29 January 2014

We just got back from a week at Tranquilseas and had an amazing stay. There is so much to appreciate at this resort, and I almost don’t want to share how great it was so that it can be our own “hidden gem”!

Overall: Tranquilseas feels like a tree house in the best possible way - like something out of “Swiss Family Robinson.” The different levels all have a nice flow to them, and the grounds overall are well landscaped with beautiful tropical plants.

Rooms: The rooms are all beautiful. We stayed in the King Crab suite, which had beautiful carved wood furniture throughout the room and a very comfortable bed; a large, luxurious bathroom with a soaking tub and rain shower; a “kitchen” area with a fridge, table/chairs and couch; and a large balcony with seating, hooks for a hammock and beautiful views of the ocean and beach. Tranquilseas provides soap in your bathrooms, but not shampoo, conditioner, etc., so be sure to pack some. Also, the bathroom did not have a hairdryer, and because of the general humidity on the island my wife felt like her hair never fully dried. If this is important to you, you might want to pack one. Overall, we were very comfortable throughout our stay and found it really easy to relax.

Diving: The diving at Tranquilseas is absolutely top-notch. We dove with Henry as our dive master and he was great - really knowledgeable about the island and the reef, and was sure to untangle any garbage from the reef to maintain a clean marine habitat, which I thought was great. There are SO MANY dives sites to choose from, and all are a quick boat ride away. The reef itself is beautiful with lots of really great things to see - the diving in Roatan is definitely on par with the best diving I’ve ever done. The rental equipment at Tranquilseas is relatively new and probably the best I’ve had a chance to rent at a resort. The other great thing about the diving was that while there was a general schedule, because the dive groups were so small they could be very flexible, and there were always morning and afternoon dives to choose from. Henry also takes care of loading all of the equipment on the boat for you, and even switches over your equipment between dives - as he said, all you have to do is breathe!

Bar/Restaurant: It was so nice to have the Sunken Fish bar on the property. We chose the all-inclusive package, which gave us breakfast each day and lunch/dinner 6 days (the bar is closed on Thursdays to encourage people to explore the island). The food was all delicious, and the menu was diverse, with sandwiches, noodles, pasta, curries, fish, meats and lots of vegetarian options. Additionally, Monica makes a mean paella that you can special order one evening, and it is not to be missed! On Tuesdays the bar offers small plates for dinner as part of their “Tapas and Tunes” event, which was a lot of fun. Drinks aren’t included in the package, but were very reasonably priced (at least compared to the prices we’re used to paying at home), and Samir is an excellent bartender (try a Monkey Lala and a Tranquilbreezer!)

Elsewhere on the Island: West End is a great town for a visit. There are plenty of bars and restaurants to explore (we recommend Sundowners for drinks and the Lighthouse for great seafood), and little stores if you’re looking to bring home some souvenirs. Further west is West Bay, which was definitely more crowded but had lots of bars and restaurants as well. We didn’t snorkel at all, but heard the snorkeling in West Bay was the best. Cabs to West End were anywhere between $2-5 for 2-3 people, and the water taxi from West End to West Bay was $10 each way for 2 people (though it sounded like if we had more people or there were other customers at the time, it would have been less).

A great vacation - looking forward to heading back soon!

Room Tip: Book an ocean-view room if available!
2 Thank Nick L
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 January 2014

I chose this resort because it advertised itself as being Eco friendly and as you may have guessed I am all about preserving our beautiful but fragile mother earth. I was very impressed with the ecological ethics that the resort actively promotes, from the solar panels on the roofs of the cabana's, which the owner chris told me generate all the hot water for the resort's showers, to the filtering of all the resorts waste water before it is released back into the natural environment via a specially built onsite septic tank, this eco lodge definitely ticked all the boxes for me!
The bar staff were full of local information and tips on what to do and see on the island, and the kitchen staff never made any fuss about any of my wife's vegetarian requests. If you like to scuba you will find the island of roatan is a diver's gem, the marine life on the local reefs was absolutely amazing! The onsite dive shop had everything we required to dive comfortably, so there was no need for us to carry any sluggish equipment half way around the world, i just emailed our sizes to tranquilseas in advance to check if they had suits that fitted us, and they did :) My wife discovered that there was a yoga floor at the top of the highest cabana that had an uninterrupted view of the sea, we didn't have any mats with us but the staff soon kitted us out with two and to be quite honest i am very glad that they did because the sound of caribbean waves breaking over the 2nd largest coral reef on the planet was unbelievable calming, it was as though someone was playing a meditation CD in the background, absolutely blissful!

PS. they don't call it the MOSQUITO COAST for nothing, it's name is duly deserved, so make sure you pack some effective defence in your suitcase (sprays and suntan lotions were quite expensive on the island so better to take your own). They also suffered electricity blackouts on the island quite regularly, similar to what we have experienced in other underdeveloped places around the world, so it is also advisable to take a good torch with you because being an eco friendly lodge tranquil seas didn't have any eco polluting generators when it fell dark, which actually created a great opportunity for me and my better half to enjoy our dinner by candle light...

We would definitely consider visiting this island and resort again, very very very tranquil indeed : )

3 Thank FatherNature
Reviewed 24 January 2014

This was my our 3rd time back to Roatan. My man and I feel in love with this beautiful island and tranquil dive lodge. We've stayed at a couple other places on the island, but Tranquil Seas is hands down THE BEST! Chris & Monica have become friends of ours. We not only love their lodge but we love them! Every bungalow they offer is perfect. The food is delicious. The diving is un-believable!!! The best dive boat & staff on the island. Unlike other resorts where your forced to dive with up to 20-30 people, TS keeps it light with up to 8-10. They take you to the prime spots. Their adventure days to Cayos are SO fun! It's really a true gem. Go with the expectation to relax, to enjoy good culture foods, & make beautiful memories. Everything else will be icing on the cake! We LOVE Tranquil Seas!!!!

• Stayed January 2014
#3 of 7 in West End
The Beach House
The Beach House
#4 of 7 in West End

Been to Tranquilseas Eco Lodge and Dive Center? Share your experiences!